Author Topic: I don't want to go full longboard but...  (Read 1008 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
I don't want to go full longboard but...
« on: March 25, 2024, 11:15:57 AM »
So I needed to get out of town yesterday before starting an on-call week so I headed out to the Colombia River Gorge to check out some new pump tracks and this hill. It's completely closed to cars. I took my bike just to ride up and down and do a recon. 3 miles of beautiful switchbacks... Anyway, I got some Powell G slides 59mm 82a that are supposed to slide good. (I heard rumors Frank has bombed some hills on these). Now I can't get this hill out of my mind. I want to go back and slip and slide my way around those hairpins... please tell me I don't need reverse KP trucks and a 20" WB. How about some Thunder 161s and a Huffer... ?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: I don't want to go full longboard but...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 12:00:32 PM »
7.5 14in wb, venture lows, 50mm classics

Free hat

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 12:48:02 PM »

And a wu tang CD in the discman

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 03:22:46 PM »
Cardiel has an 8.62 with a 15” wheelbase. Paired with the added width of those Thunders should be nice and stable. Of course Ventures might keep the speed wobbles to a minimum.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 03:26:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And a wu tang CD in the discman

I only own 50mm classics and Wu-Tang on my phone. But I would join.

Please do a video how you conquer these hills.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 06:10:42 PM »
I like the blue meanie anti hero deck for a cruiser board to dip your feet in that’s not too massive without going full cruiser. Still pretty practical. Long wb 14.75 but not too wild.
ONTARIO CANADA

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 08:04:37 PM »
Funny that you'd say this, thats pretty much the most famous hill and racetrack in longboarding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjRL6nC0cpQ&ab_channel=venombushings

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:07:54 PM »
That's exactly why I said it.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 09:14:27 PM »
You never go full longboard.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 12:21:30 AM »
where's the METAL SKATEBOARDS METAL INDUCTION LONG BOY DECK when you need it
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 07:05:25 AM »
Hmm...
Dogtown big boy?
Black Label Lucero?
Pool king Pirate?
In my world everybody is looking for a reason to set up some Indy 215s

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 10:03:20 AM »
Just need an early '80s Powell deck and some slide gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqGcx5mecc&ab_channel=PowellPeralta

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 10:07:48 AM »
It looks like the same place Ben Krahn was casually cruising in this part. It’s hard to tell if he’s just riding whatever set up, but it being Ben Krahn I’d imagine so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x54tQp1ULQI

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 10:37:43 AM »
Yeah same hill as Krahn.

The Future Primitive clip is def inspo.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 02:26:26 PM »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 07:23:52 PM »
Regretting not picking up one of those Metal Fred Gall Long boys...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:49 PM »
Get a Polarizer with 56mm rough riders and fang it

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 11:08:40 PM »
I'll go out on a limb here but there is a pretty big difference between downhill skateboarders and your typical longboarder. Longboarders are mongo pushing, sandal wearing hippies/dweebs that walk or transport themselves from class to smoke shop etc. Downhill skateboarders on the other hand are gnarly and they bomb alpine roads up to 50-60mph and power slide on gummy soft wheels to slow down (meanwhile leaving 20ft+ shredded urethane marks in their wake). I don't understand the disrespect towards downhillers, inverted kingpin or not. They are A-OK in my book. I would absolutely love to make the mary hill journey one day.

Living in the east bay, I've always loved bombing hills and about ~ 7 years ago setup a dedicated downhill complete for mountain roads to bring on camping trips. Its a skaterbuilt slalom board, 9x33, multi drilled and i have it set to the shortest 17" wb with Indy 129's and blood orange 72mm/82A wheels with swiss bearings. Its fast as fuck. According to my old GPS app on my iPhone a few years back, I got up to 36mph in Lassen County on a family vacation on a mild grade road for about 5 minutes straight. Its exhilarating. Those wheels maintain the roll speed and Its like driving a cadillac. Smooth and silent. Pretty sure I've exceeded that speed on shorter/steeper hills but don't have the gps data to confirm.

In regards to slowing down from those speeds - On my normal street setup, I can powerslide and bluntslide/noseblunt slide ledges but definitely NOT on those soft downhill wheels, they're a totally different animal. At my age I have no interest in mastering downhill power sliding and dealing with the 20mph+ slams and road-rashes in the process (I like my skin intact). Instead, when the opportunity presents itself, I scope out the roads, drive up and down and find a section that naturally ends where I can progressively slow down to the flats. Ive tested a true downhill board with a ~20ish+ wheelbase but I just couldn't adapt and went back the skaterbuilt as its a nice compromise. If you made it this far in my wall of text, godspeed.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 11:40:56 PM »
I’ve dipped my toes in downhill, and I’m in agreement with the poster above.

The downhill scene where I was was tight, and like I’ve probably said before, felt a lot more like skating in the 80’s, the ostracism from the ‘acceptable’ types of skating makes the scene that much more self-reliant and a tighter community.

Plus, drifting turns around corners is a fucking rad feeling.

As for advice to the OP, I’m tempted to say borrow a DH board, but buy your own wheels, and get some pucks and a helmet and practice a bit learning how to slide and slow down with them before doing Maryhill.

Or not, I don’t know what kind of speeds you are aiming for. But the trucks are designed to be more stable at speed yet still turn, so there’s that.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 12:18:16 AM »
Yes, the puck gloves are definitely a good idea. I bought some as well, maybe around 2017/2018 with the intention of using them to learn how to slide/drift... but then reality set in... its difficult! I think I successfully did one good hands down frontside powerslide where I left a visible mark, but all the other attempts were just pathetic and resulted in a awkward falls and light road rash. Also, keep in mind I'm doing this by myself (in my late 30's) on a 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere, with traffic driving by while my family is back at the campsite waiting for me lol. I basically felt like a moron and it was demoralizing. After that I just put the gloves on as a safety measure in case I fell and kept a close eye for nice runs that I could manage the windy roads at speed. I totally see your take of the community, that sounds rad bombing with your bros and pushing each other. Maybe in another life I'd be a downhiller ;D

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 08:59:00 AM »

The downhill scene where I was was tight, and like I’ve probably said before, felt a lot more like skating in the 80’s, the ostracism from the ‘acceptable’ types of skating makes the scene that much more self-reliant and a tighter community.

As for advice to the OP, I’m tempted to say borrow a DH board, but buy your own wheels, and get some pucks and a helmet and practice a bit learning how to slide and slow down with them before doing Maryhill.

Or not, I don’t know what kind of speeds you are aiming for. But the trucks are designed to be more stable at speed yet still turn, so there’s that.

Appreciate the info. I've been skating a long time. Bombed many hills. Back in the day, my mate and I re-drilled an old wooden water ski and skated that down hills with a 20" wheelbase, with cranked Trackers and I forget what wheels. We regularly went over 45 KM/H on that piece of shit. I've borrowed longboards before and bombed midnight city hills. Loved it. Maryhill seems pretty damn safe compared to some city hills I have bombed but will certainly ease into it and wear I lid. I'll wear a helmet in a deep bowl so not afraid on a hill.

My goal is to indeed to get some Coleman slides going, so eventually I will get slide gloves. And... I suppose at some point I will get a proper downhill rig but for now this is just for fun and curiosity. That hill occupies my dreams right now. I want to go back before it turns yellow with the summer heat. You ever see a vista while hiking and just want to dive into and immerse yourself in it? Well, Maryhill in Spring seems like an amazing way to do just that.

For now, I think I have set up in mind. I'm not going full longboard but I will dabble dangerously close. I have the Powell 59mm 82a G Slides and I think I am going to pick up a JM Duran Powell flight deck after I feel one out on Friday. 17" fucking wheelbase but popsicle shaped with twin kicks... a bit spendy but what are credit cards for...? the wife won't know there's a strange long wheelbase board occupying the basement or will she? Trucks will likely be some cranked Thunder 151s or Ace Classic  55 b/c that's what I have. So not a true downhiller but I think it will be good for sliding around the local hill (I live a few blocks from Mt Tabor in SE Portland) and a Maryhill loop or two. It's either that if a Huffer with mega ramp trucks. only somewhat joking but would love to try Thunder 181s on a Huffer to toy with forbidden territory.

For those of you who haven't read this,

the fitst chapter is about Downhill and largely focusses on Cliff Coleman and sliding down the Berkley Hills. The rest of the book is also interesting, well-written and more about 'conventional;' skateboarding.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 12:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Appreciate the info. I've been skating a long time. Bombed many hills. Back in the day, my mate and I re-drilled an old wooden water ski and skated that down hills with a 20" wheelbase, with cranked Trackers and I forget what wheels. We regularly went over 45 KM/H on that piece of shit. I've borrowed longboards before and bombed midnight city hills. Loved it. Maryhill seems pretty damn safe compared to some city hills I have bombed but will certainly ease into it and wear I lid. I'll wear a helmet in a deep bowl so not afraid on a hill.

My goal is to indeed to get some Coleman slides going, so eventually I will get slide gloves. And... I suppose at some point I will get a proper downhill rig but for now this is just for fun and curiosity. That hill occupies my dreams right now. I want to go back before it turns yellow with the summer heat. You ever see a vista while hiking and just want to dive into and immerse yourself in it? Well, Maryhill in Spring seems like an amazing way to do just that.

For now, I think I have set up in mind. I'm not going full longboard but I will dabble dangerously close. I have the Powell 59mm 82a G Slides and I think I am going to pick up a JM Duran Powell flight deck after I feel one out on Friday. 17" fucking wheelbase but popsicle shaped with twin kicks... a bit spendy but what are credit cards for...? the wife won't know there's a strange long wheelbase board occupying the basement or will she? Trucks will likely be some cranked Thunder 151s or Ace Classic  55 b/c that's what I have. So not a true downhiller but I think it will be good for sliding around the local hill (I live a few blocks from Mt Tabor in SE Portland) and a Maryhill loop or two. It's either that if a Huffer with mega ramp trucks. only somewhat joking but would love to try Thunder 181s on a Huffer to toy with forbidden territory.

For those of you who haven't read this,

the fitst chapter is about Downhill and largely focusses on Cliff Coleman and sliding down the Berkley Hills. The rest of the book is also interesting, well-written and more about 'conventional;' skateboarding.

You don't need to go full longboard. I've had great results with a slightly bigger setup. I've tried setups from 8.25 with 14.25 up to 9 with 17 wheelbase. Everything worked. Especially with slide gloves. I've tried a full downhill setup but I couldn't handle the large wheelbase

My setup for anything with moderate speed:

8.75" Deck
15" Wheelbase
Independent or Venture in 8.75"
63 mm freeride wheels 78a

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 12:54:51 PM »
steepest hill i bombed without cheese grating my ass
was on the anti hero orange eagle with mini juices
didnt speed check for shit, green light at the bottom
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo