Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 35880 times)

vancanman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Vancouver, BC
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
Cool. I've only been to Vancouver once, so I know very little about it.  I checked out the campus, as well as Antisocial and the downtown area.  What does housing in the city usually go for?
In east van a one bedroom in the 600 square foot range or a basement suit is in the $900-$1200 range. More $ downtown.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:00:26 AM by vancanman »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
^naw thats wrong too
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »
Wait a minute.....I thought I might be a park loc....but I might just be a random.....

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been looking into applying to UBC for graduate school.  Does anyone go to or live near the school?
[close]

I did my undergrad there and skated pretty much everyday.   Lots of spots. The undergrounds can be fun if it's raining.  Now there is a park right on campus. 
[close]

there might be lots of spots and a park on campus, but literally NOBODY (well nobody besides me, it seems like) goes to UBC and actually skates. and when I mean actually skate I mean like you can at least do a fucking boardslide or something. so basically you're just having solo seshes all the time or skating with random people, which isn't very fun.

You seem pretty bitter.  Every time I go out there these days I run into people skating, there is always people skating the park. Who cares if they go to school there or not. Your complaining about going to a school in one of the most beautiful locations in the world, with its own skatepark, lots of spots with low bust factor and NOBODY else skating them, not to mention the thousands of hot girls who also go to school there. Seems pretty fucking awesome to me.  Wait till your in your mid thirties, have a real job, a family and get to skate once or twice a week maybe.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »
There's absolutely zero excuse to whine about UBC. It's a godsend, good luck street skating downtown and being as productive as you would at UBC

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been looking into applying to UBC for graduate school.  Does anyone go to or live near the school?
[close]

I did my undergrad there and skated pretty much everyday.   Lots of spots. The undergrounds can be fun if it's raining.  Now there is a park right on campus. 
[close]

there might be lots of spots and a park on campus, but literally NOBODY (well nobody besides me, it seems like) goes to UBC and actually skates. and when I mean actually skate I mean like you can at least do a fucking boardslide or something. so basically you're just having solo seshes all the time or skating with random people, which isn't very fun.
[close]

You seem pretty bitter.  Every time I go out there these days I run into people skating, there is always people skating the park. Who cares if they go to school there or not. Your complaining about going to a school in one of the most beautiful locations in the world, with its own skatepark, lots of spots with low bust factor and NOBODY else skating them, not to mention the thousands of hot girls who also go to school there. Seems pretty fucking awesome to me.  Wait till your in your mid thirties, have a real job, a family and get to skate once or twice a week maybe.

^ me and it's not a bad deal.....

Honestly...I get it....no ones mentioned it but like the plaza....it can be like that.....but if you take some time and talk to dudes.....everyone is pretty cool and welcoming.....

Also...yes....living on campus in the summer at least is dead....I'd recommend living in east van....near a B line.....

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
Just a quick question since I'm looking for a new place to stay; what sites are usually used to find apparments around here? Is it generally just craigslist and kijiji?
I'm pretty fed up staying where I am at the moment...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
Yep....Craigslist.....

tidwid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Uhh, I go to UBC and skate there all the time. Hit me up if you want to skate with your fellow student.

Cooner66

• Rep: -47
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
come for a plaz sesh skate some real ledges

hydrant hopper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »
Aye UBC heads, how do you like going to school there?  And from what I understand it is a pretty good school, but I am unsure as to what US universities it compares to in regards to admission, rigor, etc.

tidwid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
I am doing my MSc right now. It's usually ranked in the top 20-30 schools worldwide (which is about as good as it gets for Canada). As far as I know, the school is particularly good in many areas of research. I've had really good profs... Admission was easy, I did all my application in one day no problem... didn't have particularly great marks in my undergrad either...

The bad side is the thousands and thousands of rich 20 year olds who are annoying as hell. I'm sure all universities are like that to an extent, but from my experience, these kids are especially annoying.

It's great in the summer, there are beaches (lots of naked old people at wreck beach ;)), far fewer students and it's even less likely than usual to get kicked out of a spot you are skating.

All I can say is the resources and professors will be generally good, just make sure you get a supervisor that suits you.

karnec

• Rep: -2
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Uhh, I go to UBC and skate there all the time. Hit me up if you want to skate with your fellow student.

hah, really? yeah for sure, i'd be down for a park sesh after reading break.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
A lot of this was filmed at Ubc:

adidas Skateboarding Pacific Northwest

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
i forgot about that busenitz kickflip fs wallride line. so insane!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »
Yeah....all the spots are tougher to skate than how they look.....

I got to see them rip the park....highlight of my summer.....

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »

Right?! The kickflip frontside wallride is no joke, it's uphill and the wall isn't even smooth, there's rough grainy lines that jut out from the wall. Not to mention the rock he ollies up onto is fucking big. Same thing with the bench Jake Donnelly kickflip back tails, it's high and super sticky. Crazy Mike Campbell front crooked it.

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Right?! The kickflip frontside wallride is no joke, it's uphill and the wall isn't even smooth, there's rough grainy lines that jut out from the wall. Not to mention the rock he ollies up onto is fucking big. Same thing with the bench Jake Donnelly kickflip back tails, it's high and super sticky. Crazy Mike Campbell front crooked it.
check the back noseblunt at :34
Adidas Skateboarding | Vancouver 2013

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I trip on how he even Ollied up.....

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Heading to van from whistler tomorrow and it looks like its going to be raining. was really hoping to get a bit of a sesh in since i haven't been for a proper skate in a couple of months. any suggestions for undercover spots?
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Get fired up

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
Heading to van from whistler tomorrow and it looks like its going to be raining. was really hoping to get a bit of a sesh in since i haven't been for a proper skate in a couple of months. any suggestions for undercover spots?

Leeside is in a tunnel but it might be flooded after all the rain
 Sometimes parts of the plaza can stay dry and there is some stuff to skate under the cambie bridge.
SBC is right a main and haistings and has an indoor mini ramp. 

Do you live in Whistler?   

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sometimes parts of the plaza can stay dry and there is some stuff to skate under the cambie bridge.

Do you live in Whistler?   
Yeah, moved over here from Australia at the start of winter to snowboard. so good, don't know how ill ever be able to go home haha.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Get fired up

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you live in Whistler?  
[close]
Yeah, moved over here from Australia at the start of winter to snowboard. so good, don't know how ill ever be able to go home haha.

Nice, hopefully I'll see you around the new skatepark after the snow melts.
In whistler, there is a indoor mini ramp, I built,  at the sk8 cave in function. 
It's tight but fun once you get used to it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:59:04 AM by Get fired up »

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you live in Whistler?   
[close]
[close]

In whistler, there is a indoor mini ramp, I built,  at the sk8 cave in function. 
Yeah for sure man. I actually bought a board from you a few weeks back, but had to go to work so i didn't get an opportunity to skate the ramp. will have to pop in some time again.

Get fired up

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you live in Whistler?   
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah for sure man. I actually bought a board from you a few weeks back, but had to go to work so i didn't get an opportunity to skate the ramp. will have to pop in some time again.

All good. It's my buddy Chris not me that owns the shop.   I just built the ramp for him.
Skated there last night, good times. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
Cloverdale has a roof that works.....it's just a small street line but it's something. The dry spot is tiny but it's a reasonable last resort.... Chuck Bailey in Surrey is covered but the roof doesn't work well....and someone is prolly sleeping there....

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2016, 12:16:44 AM »
Cloverdale has a roof that works.....it's just a small street line but it's something. The dry spot is tiny but it's a reasonable last resort.... Chuck Bailey in Surrey is covered but the roof doesn't work well....and someone is prolly sleeping there....
SBC too!

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Chuck Bailey bowl has been such a write off lately, someone always shitting in the bowl or leaving needles around.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
I'm up in Van for the weekend and posted up at my step sisters place by Port Moody and Simcoe Park/skytrain. Any good spots close to me or do I need to head into Vancouver more?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »
Id say....if you skate street....get on the sky train and go to the plaza.....skate bc place....the curbs....

If you like tranny....Leeside and Hastings.....they are next to each other...

Parks....bonsor and chuck Bailey are on sky train....

The Pomo park is fun from what I remember but you might want a bit more...