Author Topic: Vancouver, BC  (Read 35870 times)

posguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
Re: Vancouver, BC
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »
Id say....if you skate street....get on the sky train and go to the plaza.....skate bc place....the curbs....

If you like tranny....Leeside and Hastings.....they are next to each other...

Parks....bonsor and chuck Bailey are on sky train....

The Pomo park is fun from what I remember but you might want a bit more...

Thanks! I ended up skating the manny pad by BC Plaza for a day and met some chill people. Gonna be headed back up for a week or so at the end of August. Chuck Bailey looks cool to skate. I actually went to the park by Pomo for my niece's first birthday and yeah it was cool but definitely want a bit more. Is the university worth checking out?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »
UBC is worth it if someone can show you the spots.....I never leave the park though.....

There's some in this edit:

https://youtu.be/tSD5MXpD8Wg

Spots?  I'd say the wall ride/ wallie spot is right behind the skate park...there's a bunch of stuff just past the bus loop....

Anyone else? 

Rick Howards Root Beer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2016, 01:05:41 AM »
Art Gallery if you want a mellow five to warm up on
the benches across the street and up the stairs are always a good time (my homies call it upper art gallery but does it have a proper name?)

Coopers park, nice way to see a bit of the city, the bench is perfect, the up rail... well that shit broke my wrist but everyone else seems fine with it.

Real good ledges right outside Lee Side if you go there.

Surpised with all the Bonsor hype. The 5 rail is perfect to learn on but thats about it. This is also coming from a North Delta local though.

Queensborough park, just off the 22nd St sky train is a great tranny, sunday session.

Interesting seeing all the Antisocial love and little mention of Menu. Same market as far as what they sell just waaaaaaay less vibey.

(sorry if all this was previously posted too lazy to go through all pages...)

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
Interesting seeing all the Antisocial love and little mention of Menu. Same market as far as what they sell just waaaaaaay less vibey.
if you don't understand why people like antisocial then you should probably read this: http://www.huckmagazine.com/ride/skate/michelle-pezel-2/
i think anyone that likes antisocial also likes menu.

the wood benches you talk about are law courts.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2016, 09:13:29 AM »
Any better directions or landmark for UBC spots?  I'm terrible with this stuff.....

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
Any better directions or landmark for UBC spots?  I'm terrible with this stuff.....
start at the park and skate down agronomy towards west mall. the 12 and the classic white flatbar spot will be on the right, and then take the right and follow main mall. tooooons of spots on both sides of that path, and it goes all the way to the other side of the school.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »
There ya go!  Thanks....maybe I'll get out of the park.

gingerlightning

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2016, 07:12:17 AM »
Next time you're staying in Port Moody you've got to go to Poco park

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
I'm an old fart and heading to Vancouver / Victoria for a few days this spring. Are the old dinosaur snake runs of North Van still a go? Is PD's Hot Shop still open?
favorite vegetarian restaurants? best sushi?
SPB!

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »
I'm an old fart and heading to Vancouver / Victoria for a few days this spring. Are the old dinosaur snake runs of North Van still a go? Is PD's Hot Shop still open?
favorite vegetarian restaurants? best sushi?

Both of the snake runs in North Vancouver, William Griffin and Seylynn are still Skateble as long as its dry.
PD's is still open but it's not on 4th anymore I think it's on 10th now. 
The Naam on west 4th is a good vegan restaurant, also budgie burritos on Kingsway, kind of by antisocial. 
There are literally thousands on Sushi restaurants in Vancouver.  Depends what neighborhood your in. 

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
The Acorn on 24th and Main is probably my favorite veggie spot, it's pretty pricey but it's really nice. Local seasonal menu.
Nuba (there is one on 3rd and Main and a couple of others around town) is also really good, not strictly veggie but it's Lebanese so you'll find a lot of options.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Thanks, dudes!
SPB!

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
Matdlx,check out The Naam on west 4th for vegetarian eats, so damn good.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »
Chau veggie for the win....it's on Victoria dr. I think....they have a kiosk at Granville island....

If it rains go to Leeside....

If you like old skateparks hit China creek.  Pd's is tenth and alma and if you make it there hit UBC.  Other parks: horseshoe bay, queensborough, Ladner.....

Don't live there but Victoria just redid their park and it's suppose to be fun.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2017, 11:48:12 PM »
Chau veggie for the win....it's on Victoria dr. I think....they have a kiosk at Granville island....

If you like old skateparks hit China creek.  Pd's is tenth and alma and if you make it there hit UBC.  Other parks: horseshoe bay, queensborough, Ladner.....

Theres a park at Horseshoe bay? Im headed to Tofino in a few weeks, might have to hit up the park at horseshoe bay first. Also whats this Pd's at 10th and Alma?

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:26 AM »
Expand Quote

If you like old skateparks hit China creek.  Pd's is tenth and alma and if you make it there hit UBC.  Other parks: horseshoe bay, queensborough, Ladner.....

[close]

Theres a park at Horseshoe bay? Im headed to Tofino in a few weeks, might have to hit up the park at horseshoe bay first. Also whats this Pd's at 10th and Alma?
It's a bowl, right by the Gleneagles Community Centre. http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/skate/gleneagles.htm
Unless you're really into bowls, then I'd rather stop by another park in BC. The Tofino park is also pretty cool and smack in the middle of downtown.

PDs is a skateshop. Basically the Skull Skates dudes.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
It's a bowl, right by the Gleneagles Community Centre. http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/skate/gleneagles.htm
Unless you're really into bowls, then I'd rather stop by another park in BC. The Tofino park is also pretty cool and smack in the middle of downtown.

PDs is a skateshop. Basically the Skull Skates dudes.
[/quote]

Niice, thanks man. Im not super into bowls, Tofino park should be sweet though, we are staying like half an hour from the park, just looked it up, gonna be staying somewhere called Tigh-nah clayoquat vacation house on campbell road, should be fun. Never seen the PDs skatestore but ive only lived in Vancouver for 2 years now

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
If it's the spot google shows right by Tofino Brewery, then there might still be a ramp inside the brewery. Just something to keep in mind since it rains in Tofino about every hour or so.

But go surfing instead.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
100% going surfing. Im originally from Australia and grew up skating and surfing, mostly skating and seeing as you cant surf anywhere in Vancouver, im pumped to be going to Tofino, going up on a thursday night and coming back sunday, will probably try and squeeze a skate in weather permitting but surfing and exploring are my main objectives
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:33:06 PM by Dr-Feelgood »

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »
100% going surfing. Im originally from Australia and grew up skating and surfing, mostly skating and seeing as you cant surf anywhere in Vancouver, im pumped to be going to Tofino, going up on a thursday night and coming back sunday, will probably try and squeeze a skate in weather permitting but surfing and exploring are my main objectives

if you are going to be heading to horseshoe bay, you may as well check out the new ambleside skatepark in west vancouver. it's all small transition based stuff, tons of fun!

http://skateparktour.ca/92-bc/vancouver/423-ambleside-skatepark-west-vancouver-bc

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you are going to be heading to horseshoe bay, you may as well check out the new ambleside skatepark in west vancouver. it's all small transition based stuff, tons of fun!

http://skateparktour.ca/92-bc/vancouver/423-ambleside-skatepark-west-vancouver-bc

That park looks sweet man, im definitley going to hit that up soon, cheers dude. I quite like Thompson skatepark in richmond, pretty fun, was there last night.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
It's far but cloverdale is good....

In Vancouver if you skate street it's the plaza or UBC....  If you hit UBC check museum of anthropology....

Bowls=Hastings/Leeside

Rain=W.49th in tswassenn or SBC (ramp) downtown east side. 

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
reviving this thread because i'm going to be living in vancouver for at least 2.5 months starting in january. i spent a week out there last winter so i know a little bit, but what's the scene looking like these days? is plaza still skateable? also open to any other recommendations about anything, though i'm not trying to spend a lot of money

Glurmpz

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
reviving this thread because i'm going to be living in vancouver for at least 2.5 months starting in january. i spent a week out there last winter so i know a little bit, but what's the scene looking like these days? is plaza still skateable? also open to any other recommendations about anything, though i'm not trying to spend a lot of money

Plaza just got some sick renos, though they kind of fucked up and put a bunch of unnecessary asphalt patches in the ground because the city required them to fix cracks in the ground for "safety reasons". We were all stumped looking at it cause the ground was fine pretty much everywhere they did it. Brand new granite though - long pieces now. I got to contribute by suggesting they top the slappy wall with the old granite tiles - looks sick.

Unfortunately, as you probably know, you're coming during the absolute worst time for rain/cold. Not a lot of skating going down unless you're cool with skating half/fully wet spots in the cold. There's a new mini ramp on Granville Island that will be open until the end of December, maybe longer. Personally, I just go to California during the winter cause I can't get stoked to go skate in the cold, especially not when I'm healing from a bad injury.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
Anyone on here still kicking in Vancouver?

I'm usually skating at UBC or Kits high, Kitsilano based.

Would be down to meet up or start an older (later 20's and up) skate group

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2020, 07:32:54 AM »
I skate UBC sometimes...there's a few local there that rub me the wrong way.....this older dude who acts like he owns the place and just likes to listen to himself talk....you'd think he'd find some other outlets for that....

Glurmpz

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
if you can drive a trip out to tsawwassen is worth it. it's big and usually empty save the odd kid who shows up and does a few laps

Well - just make sure you go when kids are in school. That park has become horrible for scooters in recent years.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
Skate the courts! Plazas always a fun time and the ledges are so good since they swapped em up. 401 is good again and not much of a kick out. Also some spots in that newer area in downtown near the stupid expensive chandelier they put up. Haven’t been to the new Emily Carr too much and did hear some things got knobbed but that spots super fun too.

Glurmpz

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »
Skate the courts! Plazas always a fun time and the ledges are so good since they swapped em up. 401 is good again and not much of a kick out. Also some spots in that newer area in downtown near the stupid expensive chandelier they put up. Haven’t been to the new Emily Carr too much and did hear some things got knobbed but that spots super fun too.

401 isn't much of a kick out? They literally have 24/7 security posted at the doors on both ends and they come out as soon as they see you walking up with a skateboard. Everyone I know who skated it did so while getting booted. You can even see the security in the background of the few clips that have popped up. That being said, it's better than the old 401 for sure. I've tried to skate it a couple times with no luck - hope I stumble upon the low kick out vibes you speak of.

Emily Carr is great and you're actually allowed to skate the main plaza with the long angle iron ledge, but you're not supposed to skate any of the other areas, and someone had popped off a few of the knobs so in response the school put way more knobs on. 

Right now Vancouver is better than it ever has been for spots. There's new ones popping up constantly. If you have a car you're stoked because you can just drive around looking for new developments. All of the schools in the lower mainland are being renovated as well because they don't meet seismic requirements so that means lots of new spots too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:10:35 PM by Glurmpz »

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
Skated it two weekends in a row on Sunday’s and no kick out in the back where the 5s are. It was super fun. Maybe just luck of timing? I don’t know. Anyhow, I agree that it’s kind of the best right now. You can skate around downtown and hit different spots and it still be fun. Sure a ton of stuff is still knobbed but just make the most of it and don’t be a whiny puss and you’ll be fine. UBC is a bit out there but fun to skate around as someone mentioned earlier.