Author Topic: Does 5boro still use South Central?  (Read 2326 times)

BMCsteve

Does 5boro still use South Central?
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
Sorry to create a whole thread for one question but does anyone know if 5Boro is still using South Central?  I read that they are now using some China crap but I can't find any sort of confirmation

thanks

4wheels

Re: Does 5boro still use South Central?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
they dont use south central anymore. its been discussed many times in http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=63847.0

BMCsteve

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
Got it.  thanks for the help

Young Satchel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:28:10 AM »
If you're wondering if you should skate a 5boro, don't.  Great team, great art direction, great videos. Terrible shapes and wood.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
If you're wondering if you should skate a 5boro, don't.  Great team, great art direction, great videos. Terrible shapes and wood.

I think that is actually self preference... I like crailtap wood and the shapes seem really nice (my local shop has some vhs series and they look dope)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think that is actually self preference... I like crailtap wood and the shapes seem really nice (my local shop has some vhs series and they look dope)

If by that you mean "personal preference", of course it is.  Not trying to pretend otherwise. I had a VHS series and it was brittle yet soggy, had a super flat nose and tail with no pocket, and generally felt like shit when I rode it.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If by that you mean "personal preference", of course it is.  Not trying to pretend otherwise. I had a VHS series and it was brittle yet soggy, had a super flat nose and tail with no pocket, and generally felt like shit when I rode it.

I had the Willy Akers board from the previous series and it felt the same way. I'd buy one again in a pinch, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for one.

BMCsteve

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
I ended up buying a 3D which I thought was pressed by PS Stix but it's not.  I'm pretty sure it's Skate Mental wood which is Crailtap wood which I think is the same as 5Boro wood.

So basically I went out of my way to avoid the china wood and ended up with it anyway

colin

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
Is Hopps Chapman? I picked up a board and it looks the same as a Scum Co and sons...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Prince Nelson

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
Is Hopps Chapman? I picked up a board and it looks the same as a Scum Co and sons...

Hopps is Chapman and Scumco is Pennswood. 5Boro is definitely NOT Chapman.

colin

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right. BMCsteve wanted to avoid China wood, so I thought that might be one way...
I've been stoked on my Chapman deck, too.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. I'm glad it's not the same press as scum Co. I wasn't the biggest fan of the board I had. It was OK but a bit too stiff for me.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »
Too stiff, thats interesting...
I had a scumco that felt too soft to me.  Kind of a soft thud for a pop vs a hard tap.
Only rode for about 30 minutes and just didn't like it.
Right now hopps (chapman) and politic (south central) are my favorites, about a tie....

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
^

had a scumco that was like the one you described. it delamed fast, too. i really liked the shape tho. i still think that it may have sponged up humidity during the shipping process... i'd still buy scumco anytime again for wallhangers alone.

i once had a chapman billy rohan pro model back in the day, that board was fucking indestructible. i learned a shit load of tricks on it. good memories. planning on getting a traffic deck soon to reminisce...