Author Topic: Has anyone ever died while street skating?  (Read 16261 times)

shredstix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Has anyone ever died while street skating?
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »
I've heard several instances of long boarders getting hit by cars and shit like that, but Im wondering if there have been any known cases of a skater dying from taking a slam on a gap or a handrail. There are thousands of skaters every year skating massive gaps and handrails without helmets and I think its kind of amazing that I've never heard of someone getting killed or suffering a head injury more serious than a concussion.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Has anyone ever died while street skating?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »
I've heard several instances of long boarders getting hit by cars and shit like that, but Im wondering if there have been any known cases of a skater dying from taking a slam on a gap or a handrail. There are thousands of skaters every year skating massive gaps and handrails without helmets and I think its kind of amazing that I've never heard of someone getting killed or suffering a head injury more serious than a concussion.

A pro from the '90s (Kit Erickson) may have sustained a blow to the head that later caused him to collapse and sustain a fatal head injury. I'm not sure of the details.

The general pubic seems concerned with head/neck injuries from skateboarding. I don't know why.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »
Yeah, Arto is still alive and well

shredstix

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A pro from the '90s (Kit Erickson) may have sustained a blow to the head that later caused him to collapse and sustain a fatal head injury. I'm not sure of the details.

The general pubic seems concerned with head/neck injuries from skateboarding. I don't know why.

Thats what made me curious about this. I mean from a non-skateboarders perspective it makes complete sense to be concerned about head injuries. But astonishingly, it just doesn't seem to happen. I've been skating 15 years and I've smacked my head a couple of times, nothing serious, but I hit my head more often walking around my house than I do skating.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
Yep, read something the other day about a younger kid that hit his head skating and died in the hospital. Probably not really uncommon actually.

abudabi

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »
ah i feel really bad, but i can't remember the kids name. he died alone while skating a 5 stair. he was the kid who posted a whole bunch of crazy stories on a different forum about robotripping. really sad story, R.I.P.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
A friend passed after slamming and hitting his head while we were bombing a parking garage. Freak accident. Worst night of my life for sure. Crazy that it will be ten years ago next summer. He was the best.

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
someone posted on 'things i'm not stoked on' or 'old guys post here' about their pal dying as a result of a tranny slam. it happens but so damn rare i wouldn't let it concern me. you're prolly gonna die in a fiery auto wreck anyways but nobody's scared of cars.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
A friend passed after slamming and hitting his head while we were bombing a parking garage. Freak accident. Worst night of my life for sure. Crazy that it will be ten years ago next summer. He was the best.
So sorry. :(

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
ah i feel really bad, but i can't remember the kids name. he died alone while skating a 5 stair. he was the kid who posted a whole bunch of crazy stories on a different forum about robotripping. really sad story, R.I.P.
[close]

Derek Gertz

I feel so bad for that kid, I don't know how the fuck he dealt with having parents in a cult and shit like that. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »
someone posted on 'things i'm not stoked on' or 'old guys post here' about their pal dying as a result of a tranny slam. it happens but so damn rare i wouldn't let it concern me. you're prolly gonna die in a fiery auto wreck anyways but nobody's scared of cars.

I don't know if it was the guy mentioned in thread but a guy passed from something like that earlier in the year

http://www.10news.com/news/skateboarder-marc-shockus-delellis-dies-after-accident-at-ocean-beach-skate-park

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Hey thanks, dudes. I don't even know what happened with his slam as he was a ways ahead of me around a bend but I did hear him hit the ground. He was a pretty big guy. The surgeons opened up his skull to relieve the swelling of his brain (they actually asked me for permission as his parents who I'd never met were driving in from out of town) but it wasn't successful and he would have remained in a vegetative state for the rest of his life. His family pulled life support a couple days later. People were pretty bummed on me for not wearing a helmet after that happened and I can see how disrespectful that could seem but I never have.

Early Hokus Pokus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Derek Gertz

Really good style. R.I.P

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
Recently a kid in Belgium died while street skating. All those stories are hard to stomach.

It's quite amazing though that as far as I know there no famous - or at least known - pros or ams have died street skating, especially with all this handrail madness in the last ten years or so.

As for Kit Erickson, didn't he get into kickboxing after his skate career?

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:25 AM »
A kid in my town died about 10 years ago from skitching on a car. Some how fell and got ran over. I never met him but apparently he was a pretty nice guy. His name was Kyle Darroca, you can still find his youtube channel too. Wasn't exactly street skating but still. I've heard his headstone is a broken in half deck. Pretty rad of his family to do that

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 02:56:07 AM »
Recently a kid in Belgium died while street skating. All those stories are hard to stomach.

It's quite amazing though that as far as I know there no famous - or at least known - pros or ams have died street skating, especially with all this handrail madness in the last ten years or so.

As for Kit Erickson, didn't he get into kickboxing after his skate career?

You're probably thinking of Pat Channita. If I remember correctly, Kit Erickson's accident that resulted in his passing away was not skating related, he fell down some stairs or something like that.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
Old friend in Chicago got plowed by a drunk driver while pushing down the street in the bike lane. Dude had a revoked license already and crossed the oncoming traffic lane to hit him head on.

R.I.P. Reg

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »
just came across this. dude started an indoor park and skate shop in anchorage. rip.

http://www.adn.com/article/20100602/skateboard-accident-leaves-entrepreneur-brain-dead

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thats what made me curious about this. I mean from a non-skateboarders perspective it makes complete sense to be concerned about head injuries. But astonishingly, it just doesn't seem to happen. I've been skating 15 years and I've smacked my head a couple of times, nothing serious, but I hit my head more often walking around my house than I do skating.

Upon hearing I wanted a board for my birthday one year most of my family reacted the same way "The first thing you'll do is step on it and break your neck". About 16 years later and the absolute worst I've had is one or two very light taps to the head. Once or twice a year an article pops up about some kid who died while skating but it seems more often than not it involves an accident with a car.