Author Topic: Anyone try HardLuck yet?  (Read 6710 times)

yapple dapple

Anyone try HardLuck yet?
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Santa asked what I wanted so I'm going with new bearings. I'm thinking of branching out outside of the bones realm and wanted to know whats up with hard luck.

BMCsteve

Re: Anyone try HardLuck yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
I've been wanting to try the new JJ Swiss http://www.tactics.com/hard-luck/jason-jessee-swiss-skateboard-bearings

The larger inner races eliminate the need for washers.  I'm all for less little parts

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »
i´ve got the "great times" ceramics by hard luck. and they do exactly what they promise, roll fast as shit. no complaints here.

yapple dapple

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
i�ve got the "great times" ceramics by hard luck. and they do exactly what they promise, roll fast as shit. no complaints here.
Thanks, I think I'm sold.
Hey DLX do you carry these at 1831?

N.L.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
I got a good deal on the ceramics. Good shit. Seals on both sides. Been riding them for a few months, they've ended up in mud and water and I haven't cleaned them and they are still running smooth.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
If it's not bones swiss then it doesn't matter

N.L.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
That's a fair point. I got them because I'd never tried  ceramics before and sure as shit can't justify the price of Bones ceramics. $45 well spent.

yapple dapple

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
when you can get Swiss for 25 bucks online, i don't really understand the point of getting anything else.

nothing against HardLuck or any other bearing company... i just wonder, why bother?

Where can you get bones for $25 again?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
I had a couple sets of hardlucks. I never had a problem with them. They roll fast and it's a cool company
fuck you bama

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Expand Quote
when you can get Swiss for 25 bucks online, i don't really understand the point of getting anything else.

nothing against HardLuck or any other bearing company... i just wonder, why bother?
[close]

Where can you get bones for $25 again?

usually eBay.. yeah swiss bones are pretty awesome - however i always wanted to try ceramic bearings but i cannot justify dishing out that much money on bearings so i found the bones ceramic reds for $30..just too lazy to switch em out
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
I got the ceramics as well. They are good but not quite as good as bones swiss. If you can get swiss for the same price or cheaper just go with swiss. Hardluck does have their own swiss bearing now but its like $57 so fuck that.

N.L.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:04:17 AM »
Blew out the ceramic Hard Lucks last night. Only had them since November and I only skate once or twice a week. Might just be me but I expected them to last a bit longer than that. I'll try cleaning them and popping off the shields but at least two of them have seized up.

BMCsteve

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
Blew out the ceramic Hard Lucks last night. Only had them since November and I only skate once or twice a week. Might just be me but I expected them to last a bit longer than that. I'll try cleaning them and popping off the shields but at least two of them have seized up.

When you pop the shields, let us know what color the balls are.  If they're white/gray, they are the cheaper ceramic balls that are prone to chipping (and sometimes exploding).  If they're black, they are the higher quality and harder ceramics

N.L.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
They are a darker grey.

BMCsteve

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:52 AM »
They are a darker grey.

Likely Silicon Nitride "black" balls then.  They should be really durable.  Hopefully they just need a cleaning and a drop of lube

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
I haven't tried em yet, but one of my team dudes rolls em and is hyped. We've sold plenty and no catastrophes yet.

N.L.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »
Expand Quote
They are a darker grey.
[close]

Likely Silicon Nitride "black" balls then.  They should be really durable.  Hopefully they just need a cleaning and a drop of lube

Three of the bearings had seized up. I took them completely apart, balls and all and soaked them in Isopropyl alcohol, dried, reassembled, lubed. I rescued two of them and they are as fast as ever. Stoked. But one of the bastards just wont let me put it back together. I am thinking I may have wrecked  one of the steel pieces along the way somehow because I can't get the balls to spread out properly along the inner ring... It was easy for the other two...

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They are a darker grey.
[close]

[close]

Three of the bearings had seized up. I took them completely apart, balls and all and soaked them in Isopropyl alcohol, dried, reassembled, lubed. I rescued two of them and they are as fast as ever. Stoked. But one of the bastards just wont let me put it back together. I am thinking I may have wrecked  one of the steel pieces along the way somehow because I can't get the balls to spread out properly along the inner ring... It was easy for the other two...
When I clean my Swiss ceramics I leave the balls and cage in, it's not really necessary to take em all out. Also, next time try 100% acetone (professional nail polish remover), it's much stronger and dries immediately. I've had a couple bearings seize after my board fell in a puddle, but they came back to life after a good cleaning.