Author Topic: what do you play?  (Read 7355 times)

abudabi

what do you play?
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
i mainly play acoustic guitar, although i've been playing a bit of piano recently.
i've only been playing for 2 years (3 in february), but i try to practice all the time and it's by far my favorite activity besides skating.
what instruments are you guys into?

Greg Road

Re: what do you play?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »
electric guitar & drums

GeorgeCostanza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
sax
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
guitar antihero

abudabi

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
sax
that is rad. can you play the sexy sax man song?

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
drums. my set has been at a friend's house for like 8 months so i only play it like once a week. good times though.

i fuck around on this bass with no electronics in it but it's gotta be tuned so it's kinda  pointless. i want an acoustic guitar to learn chords on, that's all i really want. a few skaters from my park are learning guitar so i'm hoping to get a big jam session going one of these days

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

abudabi

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sax
[close]
that is rad. can you play the sexy sax man song?
[close]
yes
hell yea, you are added to my list of people to gnar after i write another 200 terrible posts.

abudabi

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
drums. my set has been at a friend's house for like 8 months so i only play it like once a week. good times though.

i fuck around on this bass with no electronics in it but it's gotta be tuned so it's kinda  pointless. i want an acoustic guitar to learn chords on, that's all i really want. a few skaters from my park are learning guitar so i'm hoping to get a big jam session going one of these days
if someone brings a guitar to the park, get them to show you some basic chords. youd be surprised how quickly you can play a lot of different songs.

matter of fact

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
i can get into chords it's just shifting from one to another that's super hard for me, plus my fingers aren't calloused so it hurts after a few minutes but that's the way she goes. my friend whose house my drums are at plays guitar and we'll rotate during jams but i never try out chords because i feel like i would be less fluid with everything so i just single note it. i'm out of a job right now but a cheap used acoustic would be pretty close to the top of my purchase list once i get some money saved up. jamming is good times, it helps me to break through some social anxiety and be ok with the fact that some people are way better than me but i can still try to interpret the music my own way and try to put a different energy to it with the drums

abudabi

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »
i can get into chords it's just shifting from one to another that's super hard for me, plus my fingers aren't calloused so it hurts after a few minutes but that's the way she goes. my friend whose house my drums are at plays guitar and we'll rotate during jams but i never try out chords because i feel like i would be less fluid with everything so i just single note it. i'm out of a job right now but a cheap used acoustic would be pretty close to the top of my purchase list once i get some money saved up. jamming is good times, it helps me to break through some social anxiety and be ok with the fact that some people are way better than me but i can still try to interpret the music my own way and try to put a different energy to it with the drums
yeah the callous thing is a bitch, no way of getting around it. one of the things that helped me a lot with switching between chords was paying a lot of attention to which fingers actually need to move. like for example if you switch between the standard A minor chord and C major chord, you only have to move one finger. i think most people arent too concerned with technical ability, they just wanna play something (when youre jamming)

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

matter of fact

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah the callous thing is a bitch, no way of getting around it. one of the things that helped me a lot with switching between chords was paying a lot of attention to which fingers actually need to move. like for example if you switch between the standard A minor chord and C major chord, you only have to move one finger. i think most people arent too concerned with technical ability, they just wanna play something (when youre jamming)

that's good advice for both switching chords and for jamming. i'm more secure in my jamming than my chords, but your advice on both fronts is equally rad. i just get hung up on my drumming go-to's so i get bummed. and i don't have the set at my place so i can't practice so it kinda blows. and i gotta buy a new head for the bass drum tomorrow since it broke, shit. nevermind all that my friend who rips at bass is back in town tomorrow and anyone who plays the drums knows that playin with a rad bassist means some fun drums

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
Electric guitar and bass if I haven't learned a song prejam sesh. want to learn drums and piano or trumpet so I can play ska

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
Built this yesterday, if you have a drill and like 15 bucks i recommend building one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ANZS5l_f4s&feature=youtu.be

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »
Guitar, until I fucked up my left wrist. Switching chords sucks so bad now.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that's good advice for both switching chords and for jamming. i'm more secure in my jamming than my chords, but your advice on both fronts is equally rad. i just get hung up on my drumming go-to's so i get bummed. and i don't have the set at my place so i can't practice so it kinda blows. and i gotta buy a new head for the bass drum tomorrow since it broke, shit. nevermind all that my friend who rips at bass is back in town tomorrow and anyone who plays the drums knows that playin with a rad bassist means some fun drums
I was watching a BB King documentary the other day and he (BB) was telling a story about some performance he was doing with a group (like The Rolling Stones or some shit, can't remember). In rehearsal they were going over the music with him and he cuts them off in the middle and tells them "I don't play chords". Not in a preferential sense but in regards to his ability. And this was a story that took place more recently/ later in his life after he was already well established.

It kind of fascinates me seeing as he is easily up there as an all time great. I don't know what I was really getting at here, it just reminded of that scene. It made me feel kind of good as I don't really fuck with chords that much outside of learning or practicing a song I like.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »
I've been playing guitar for a long while now.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »
I'm a total noob to banjos, but this antique with dodgy tuners came in the mail from my aunt last night.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hup8yONCd3c&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:41:17 PM by Rusty_Berrings »

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
Built this yesterday, if you have a drill and like 15 bucks i recommend building one.

jeez, how much crack do you smoke?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Enough to have fun building instruments! I'm working on a dulcigurdy and some sort of hybrid guitar cello right now (and an electric banjo but that ones pretty much done- i fretted the neck and it's on the body just waiting for electical components!). I think some sort of a nyckelharpa or hurdy-gurdy are up next!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Enough to have fun building instruments! I'm working on a dulcigurdy and some sort of hybrid guitar cello right now (and an electric banjo but that ones pretty much done- i fretted the neck and it's on the body just waiting for electical components!). I think some sort of a nyckelharpa or hurdy-gurdy are up next!
Here's the last cello I built. I'm very happy with it and all the materials including the strings and bow were under 20 bucks!
http://youtu.be/sKYFfIeKrj4?t=29s

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »
guitar, bass, drums, synth (never put me in front of a piano though ???)

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »
Been playing guitar a lot lately, electric and acoustic. Can't even say how much I regret not doing it sooner.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »
Shout out all the pear.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
Guitar and bass since 03. Was really into it and playing in bands from 04 to 2010. The last five years I haven't been playing much. Hell, I don't even own one at the moment. Sold it a while back because I needed the money. I'll play occasionally when I'm at a friends house hanging out and there just so happens to be a guitar around.

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
alto saxophone and percussion/drums, I played the trombone for a month, shit was whack

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »
alto saxophone and percussion/drums, I played the trombone for a month, shit was whack
oh fuck yes. you know my man Peter Apfelbaum by any chance?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »
I used to play drums. My brother had a set and he's really good. When I was like 19 I decided that I'd learn how to play and just taught myself, but I never got any good. I played in a band for a while and we did a few shows, but everyone else in the band kind of fought for who could be the loudest, so we sucked big time. I'll still mess around on them if I go over to my parents house and if love to get a set of my own if I ever get a house because they're super fun to play.

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
oh fuck yes. you know my man Peter Apfelbaum by any chance?
I didn't but I decided to check him out, and wow pretty sick!