Author Topic: fix an axle.  (Read 6044 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
fix an axle.
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Was thinking about this today... Is there some way to fix a slipping axle? It would save me some money!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: fix an axle.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
Yes.
You tap the side opposite of the one that's clamped down on the wheel, on the ground to loosen it up.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »
Use epoxy and re-set the axle. You need to make sure you put it back in the way it came out and that you center it properly. Wipe off any excess epoxy.

Be careful, you only have once chance to do it right. If you fuck up, there's no re-do.
Do it right, and it will never slip again.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
Use epoxy and re-set the axle. You need to make sure you put it back in the way it came out and that you center it properly. Wipe off any excess epoxy.

Be careful, you only have once chance to do it right. If you fuck up, there's no re-do.

And were do i put the epoxy? In that hole close to the bushings? Or in the sides were we put the wheels?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

256 Ply

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And were do i put the epoxy? In that hole close to the bushings? Or in the sides were we put the wheels?

I carefully hammered out the entire axle first, epoxied most of the covered part the axle itself, except for the last inch or so (since the epoxy would spread that way when putting back in).

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:09:48 AM »
buying a new one

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
OP, what kinda trucks do you have? Most all major truck companies will replace a truck with an axle slip free of charge, well, at least the companies that can back their product will. I know for a fact that Indy will, and so will thunder and venture.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
OP, what kinda trucks do you have? Most all major truck companies will replace a truck with an axle slip free of charge, well, at least the companies that can back their product will. I know for a fact that Indy will, and so will thunder and venture.

I have some Aces and i sent them an email some weeks ago and they were willing to replace my truck but i live in Portugal and they told me to ship the truck to their factory in the states... the cost to ship 1 truck to the states is not worth!

The trucks are almost brand new and i love them so if theres some way to fix them, ill try! Just bought the epoxy glue...

gonna see if it works! thanks pals!  ;)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Prince Nelson

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
Solution: DO NOT BUY ACE TRUCKS. Yes, they turn well and feel good when you're riding them. But as I have stated before, I had some serious problems with them. Bought the first set and they bent, sent them back and got a replacement. Then it happened again. I ended up doing that quite a few more times, sending back and receiving six replacement sets, and at the end they were sending me trucks that DID NOT HAVE STRAIGHT AXLES. It was quite a bummer because I really liked the way the trucks felt, and if the axles just wouldn't bend they'd be fantastic. Whoever handles their return emails kept feeding me some bullshit about how "they never get repeat returns". They are very obviously a cheap, china-made Indy knockoff, and I learned that the hard way. Save yourself the trouble of dealing with Ace trucks, just buy Indy's in whatever size you like and put in Khiro soft pivot cups, keep the stock bushings and ride them loose. They feel identical.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
Solution: DO NOT BUY ACE TRUCKS. Yes, they turn well and feel good when you're riding them. But as I have stated before, I had some serious problems with them. Bought the first set and they bent, sent them back and got a replacement. Then it happened again. I ended up doing that quite a few more times, sending back and receiving six replacement sets, and at the end they were sending me trucks that DID NOT HAVE STRAIGHT AXLES. It was quite a bummer because I really liked the way the trucks felt, and if the axles just wouldn't bend they'd be fantastic. Whoever handles their return emails kept feeding me some bullshit about how "they never get repeat returns". They are very obviously a cheap, china-made Indy knockoff, and I learned that the hard way. Save yourself the trouble of dealing with Ace trucks, just buy Indy's in whatever size you like and put in Khiro soft pivot cups, keep the stock bushings and ride them loose. They feel identical.

If this epoxy thing dont work i'm thinking in giving Krux a chance! I like to try different brands... I always try to avoid Indy but i know that the day will come!  :D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
Yes.
You tap the side opposite of the one that's clamped down on the wheel, on the ground to loosen it up.

This. I've come to the conclusion that no truck will not slip. I've done it with indys, aces, thunders and ventures. I've sent them back to indy a couple times and after a few weeks they sent back a replacement pair. I've come to accept that it happens and that the cost/benefit of getting a new set of trucks doesn't match up with how they feel broken in. Now I just deal with it and do the tap tap tap.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Yes.
[close]

This. I've come to the conclusion that no truck will not slip. I've done it with indys, aces, thunders and ventures. I've sent them back to indy a couple times and after a few weeks they sent back a replacement pair. I've come to accept that it happens and that the cost/benefit of getting a new set of trucks doesn't match up with how they feel broken in. Now I just deal with it and do the tap tap tap.

The pair of thunder i had didn't gave me this problem even after almost 3 years of skating... had some ventures that didn't slip too... The only other truck i had that slipped were some Crail trucks in 2007/2008 (my first real skate trucks :v)! I think is such a easy problem to fix and truck companies dont do nothing to change that!  :-\

COMPANIES! JUST DO THIS ->

(paint skills :v )

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yes.
[close]

[close]

The pair of thunder i had didn't gave me this problem even after almost 3 years of skating... had some ventures that didn't slip too... The only other truck i had that slipped were some Crail trucks in 2007/2008 (my first real skate trucks :v)! I think is such a easy problem to fix and truck companies dont do nothing to change that!  :-\

I just caught a small one on some Thunders i've used for over 6 months- i've never had it on thunders. only other trucks i had the axle slip was on some really old ventures.  oh wait i had some Ace's that caught a really horrible slip within 2 months of skating- love how they felt but can't back the quality especially after reading all the negative feedback on their quality on here...
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
It's happened on every pair of Thunders I've ever owned going back to the 90's. Always on Indy's post 2003.
Never on Ace. Not yet at least.

lee fernandez

• Rep: 2
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
can someone explain axle slip.... no joke

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

You could also braze on a washer on either side of the hanger. Then it wouldn't matter if it slipped.

256 Ply

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »

Nice idea. Grind King did something similar with their AXL truck, with an impossible-to-slip axle:

But companies don't bother when it's easier and cheaper to use stock axles than fabricating custom shapes.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
can someone explain axle slip.... no joke

When the axle shifts from side to side. you'll notice it when one wheel is locked in tight as if the bolt was cranked all the way down when it wasn't
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

lee fernandez

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
okk I've heard the term a lot but can't say thats ever happened to me

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
256 Ply i just want to gnar you! The epoxy tip worked fucking well! I went to skate today and skated this little gap... Landed the worst primos in my recent memory (fucked my feet) and the axle just dont move... Bad side is that now i slipped the back truck! ahahah shit i'll do the same thing when it gets worse (and maybe i'll take some pics of the process)...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
Theeve TIH....no axel slip....

Ps they grind funny...

Hannity

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
yea Aces are definitely a cheaper truck. it's like the metal they use is softer or something. definitely grind nice, but bend way too easy.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »
The issue is back again (now i have both trucks slipping real bad)... I quit! Just gonna buy some new trucks with the christmas money!  :-\

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
Tracker did a single floating axel too....never took off....