Author Topic: Vans video.  (Read 150422 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Vans video.
« Reply #360 on: April 24, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Seems like a pretty common thing these days.  Starting to get annoyed when companies send out an ad of their next video coming out with all of their feature riders on it and only 1/4 (or even less) of them have full parts.  I remember I was annoyed when Pretty Sweet came out and Rick McCrank had literally like 1 trick, yet he was included in the big line up of skaters giving everyone a false impression that he was gonna have a full part.
[close]

I forgot about that but now I'm angry again.
[close]
Wasn't McCrank actually hurt and only had one trick filmed? No B-sides and he pointed at his wrist tape before the 5050...
[close]

I can't remember honestly but youre probably right.  He's just an example anyway, there are so many others these days.
[close]

If you rewatch that part again he actually does the 50-50 with the cast on so.....yeah  ???
[close]

Could it be possible that some of these skaters with little to no footage in videos are just as pissed off as we are??  I know it sounds silly and ridiculous but maybe some of these guys have tons of footage and then when the premier comes around they all find out that they actually don't have parts and just have 1 or 2 tricks edited in the video and then its just a big slap in the face saying "fuck you, we're just gonna focus on the young dudes from now on" and then theyre pretty much forced to put a big smile on their faces saying how much they love the video and if they don't they get the boot. ...yeah sounds stupid.
[close]

Could be, all i know is that Castillo said somewhere that he was pissed about his one line that was in pretty sweet because he claimed he had more footage. I found this hard to believe since he usually never has enough for a full part, but then went on and said that his leftover footage was gonna be in the primitive video. Yeah so he only had like 5 tricks in that so another possibility is that maybe these guys just never got around to filming anything and realized it was too late by the deadline. Not trying to compare McCrank and Castillo because McCrank has always delivered with footage until pretty sweet.
McCrank was injured and also lives in Van most of the year. Ty seems to be a stickler on what camera's should be used which limits guys ability to use random homies to film. Most of the young guys lived in LA during the filming except Malto who constantly travel back and forth, they went on all the major filming trips (China, Barca and South America). The only guys who I've head actually got robbed of full parts are Eldridge (who got the remixed Val Surf one a few months later), Kenny and Roberts. I have a feeling there might be a decent amount of lower quality non-HD footage somewhere from between 2008-2010 that hasn't been released.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
I went to the Melbourne premiere last night. It was a great video. Dollin, AVE, Rowan, Pfanner, Dan Lu etc were in attendance.
Considering how many people are in the video, almost everyone has a full part. The only shared parts are the legend intro and Andrew Allen and Dollin. AA pretty much has a full part with about 15 DD tricks on the end of it. DD's Hollywood bowl 180 nosegrind is insanity. So fast. Nothing like how I imagined it. No carwash or other really iconic spots as was rumored.
As said, Dill has 2-3 tricks in AVE's part. One of which is the ride on curved 5050 (picture earlier in this thread) and the other that I can remember is a switch fs 180 manual bs 360 out (like ender in Mind Field) on a picnic table.
Chima's has first part skate's to Iggy Pop (or someone that sounds like IP anyway). He does loads of medium-big gaps and rails. Lots of Australian footage which was dope to see.
Rowan had second part. It was one of my favourites which surprised me because I hadn't seen much of him before. Really creative skating and some wild switch rail tricks. I remember seeing a photo (maybe a cover) of him launching out of a massive bank and bs 5-0 tapping a parking ticket machine. SHIT IS CRAZY.
My two favourite parts were Dan Lu and Gilbert. Dan Lu had heaps of great tricks and Gilbert has a two song part.
TNT's part was a real surprise. I really liked it. Lots of creative ditch skating and some Burnside footy. Skating to Slayer.
Rowley has a full part. It's probably his most low impact part but he is still skating some pretty gnarly ditches and spots where there is serious danger. As a long time Rowley fan, I was very satisfied and his footage exceeded all expectations. Skated to Motorhead.
I could easily see me skipping Pfanner, Curren Caples and Pedros part. Not because they're shit, just because they're not as good as most of the others.
It's hard to remember specific tricks and there wasn't many of the classic LA and NY skate spots featured.
The editing and filming were both good. At times it felt like some of the editing could have been a bit quicker/tighter but the sound was a bit quiet in the cinema so it could have been linked to that.
The part has a classic skate video vibe to it, no annoying music, acting or gimmicks. It would have a high rewatchability and I could see it getting better with each viewing.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

abudabi

« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
McCrank was injured and also lives in Van most of the year. Ty seems to be a stickler on what camera's should be used which limits guys ability to use random homies to film. Most of the young guys lived in LA during the filming except Malto who constantly travel back and forth, they went on all the major filming trips (China, Barca and South America). The only guys who I've head actually got robbed of full parts are Eldridge (who got the remixed Val Surf one a few months later), Kenny and Roberts. I have a feeling there might be a decent amount of lower quality non-HD footage somewhere from between 2008-2010 that hasn't been released.
thats what im thinking too. anything on the pretty sweet dvd was above a certain quality so he could easily have had more shit.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
Going to a premiere on the 30th. I just hope there's 49 years worth of bonus footage in the physical copy. I haven't been this excited about a video since Stay Gold.

Harem

« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Thought the video was good, not great but good. I can see myself watching AVE & Gilbert's part on repeat for quite sometime. Thought the video as a whole lacked cohesion. Kyle Walker should be pro. Spoke to AVE for a solid 20 minutes. Surprised by how talkative he was.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
Who had last part

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2015, 02:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Seems like a pretty common thing these days.  Starting to get annoyed when companies send out an ad of their next video coming out with all of their feature riders on it and only 1/4 (or even less) of them have full parts.  I remember I was annoyed when Pretty Sweet came out and Rick McCrank had literally like 1 trick, yet he was included in the big line up of skaters giving everyone a false impression that he was gonna have a full part.
[close]

I forgot about that but now I'm angry again.
[close]
Wasn't McCrank actually hurt and only had one trick filmed? No B-sides and he pointed at his wrist tape before the 5050...
[close]

I can't remember honestly but youre probably right.  He's just an example anyway, there are so many others these days.
[close]

If you rewatch that part again he actually does the 50-50 with the cast on so.....yeah  ???
[close]

Could it be possible that some of these skaters with little to no footage in videos are just as pissed off as we are??  I know it sounds silly and ridiculous but maybe some of these guys have tons of footage and then when the premier comes around they all find out that they actually don't have parts and just have 1 or 2 tricks edited in the video and then its just a big slap in the face saying "fuck you, we're just gonna focus on the young dudes from now on" and then theyre pretty much forced to put a big smile on their faces saying how much they love the video and if they don't they get the boot. ...yeah sounds stupid.
[close]

Could be, all i know is that Castillo said somewhere that he was pissed about his one line that was in pretty sweet because he claimed he had more footage. I found this hard to believe since he usually never has enough for a full part, but then went on and said that his leftover footage was gonna be in the primitive video. Yeah so he only had like 5 tricks in that so another possibility is that maybe these guys just never got around to filming anything and realized it was too late by the deadline. Not trying to compare McCrank and Castillo because McCrank has always delivered with footage until pretty sweet.
[close]
a la:
Lakai - The Final Flare (HD FEATURE) (Part 3 - Spain/Italy & California)
I really hope there are b sides of Devine and peoples skating from then. would make for better than the actual video

Yu Dum

« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
Who had last part
Who do YOU think had last part?

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »
I'm still stunned by dee's part. Wow

jomeara1

« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
I went to the Melbourne premiere last night. It was a great video. Dollin, AVE, Rowan, Pfanner, Dan Lu etc were in attendance.
Considering how many people are in the video, almost everyone has a full part. The only shared parts are the legend intro and Andrew Allen and Dollin. AA pretty much has a full part with about 15 DD tricks on the end of it. DD's Hollywood bowl 180 nosegrind is insanity. So fast. Nothing like how I imagined it. No carwash or other really iconic spots as was rumored.
As said, Dill has 2-3 tricks in AVE's part. One of which is the ride on curved 5050 (picture earlier in this thread) and the other that I can remember is a switch fs 180 manual bs 360 out (like ender in Mind Field) on a picnic table.
Chima's has first part skate's to Iggy Pop (or someone that sounds like IP anyway). He does loads of medium-big gaps and rails. Lots of Australian footage which was dope to see.
Rowan had second part. It was one of my favourites which surprised me because I hadn't seen much of him before. Really creative skating and some wild switch rail tricks. I remember seeing a photo (maybe a cover) of him launching out of a massive bank and bs 5-0 tapping a parking ticket machine. SHIT IS CRAZY.
My two favourite parts were Dan Lu and Gilbert. Dan Lu had heaps of great tricks and Gilbert has a two song part.
TNT's part was a real surprise. I really liked it. Lots of creative ditch skating and some Burnside footy. Skating to Slayer.
Rowley has a full part. It's probably his most low impact part but he is still skating some pretty gnarly ditches and spots where there is serious danger. As a long time Rowley fan, I was very satisfied and his footage exceeded all expectations. Skated to Motorhead.
I could easily see me skipping Pfanner, Curren Caples and Pedros part. Not because they're shit, just because they're not as good as most of the others.
It's hard to remember specific tricks and there wasn't many of the classic LA and NY skate spots featured.
The editing and filming were both good. At times it felt like some of the editing could have been a bit quicker/tighter but the sound was a bit quiet in the cinema so it could have been linked to that.
The part has a classic skate video vibe to it, no annoying music, acting or gimmicks. It would have a high rewatchability and I could see it getting better with each viewing.

I keep hearing back and forth that he has a full part and doesnt have a full part lol.  Fuck it I'll stop bitching about it and wait for the video to come out lol.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
^ finally some fucking information

abudabi

« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
who the fuck is dee?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
who the fuck is dee?

Deez Nuts

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA you just won slap

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Does anyone remember when noone had a 10 trick part or a 3 trick part in someone elses part in a big company video?
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

DillAndKalis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #375 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:55 PM »
Is this trick in there?

South Pasadena

• Rep: 2
« Reply #376 on: April 25, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #377 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
Is this trick in there?

HAHA, so good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
Is this trick in there?

wait whu? was this the original pic? LOL now it looks photoshopped to me ;D 99% sure that is SLAPs fault though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

4wheels

« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
didnt he back 180 out of that?

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #380 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
The Illusion gettin his review on too. Gotta love the guy, high frequencies man.

Propeller by VANS

So critical.

straight

« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this trick in there?

[close]

wait whu? was this the original pic? LOL now it looks photoshopped to me ;D 99% sure that is SLAPs fault though

Yes

abudabi

« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »
this photo fucking kills me, pure brilliance

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2015, 12:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Is this trick in there?

[close]

Yes

Oh thank God.  That could be the entire Vans video and I would be happy.

Gnatpant

• Rep: 4
« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
Anyone heard any word on when physical copies will be released?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
Anyone heard any word on when physical copies will be released?
I heard may 5th and if you buy a pair of shoes you get the vid free

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
I'm really bummed about the lack of sunset Carwash footage from Dollin. I live at sunset and Hayworth and the Carwash is up my street and I saw them filming there 5-6 months ago. They had cameras crews at 3 sides of the intersection and Dollin just had 2 pieces of plywood on the roof as a run up, and I noticed Rowan and neckface were there, it was 6:30-7am. I was grabbing coffee and running late for work, but I would love to have seen what he was trying :(

I saw him trying something at the hollywood/western metro set , didn't catch what it was though but by the sounds of it none of his more recent la footage made it in so maybe nothing ever came of those sessions. Also we live like 4 blocks from each other. neat.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

basedshaman

• Rep: 6
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
Is there any way I can watch this before the iTunes release? I'm planning to cop but I wanna see this shit soon.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
AVE's back feeble pic will go unseen in the video archives along with Koston's back 180 fakie 5-0 down the hubba for that Independent ad.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
I'm really bummed about the lack of sunset Carwash footage from Dollin. I live at sunset and Hayworth and the Carwash is up my street and I saw them filming there 5-6 months ago. They had cameras crews at 3 sides of the intersection and Dollin just had 2 pieces of plywood on the roof as a run up, and I noticed Rowan and neckface were there, it was 6:30-7am. I was grabbing coffee and running late for work, but I would love to have seen what he was trying :(

I'd be ditching work 100%