Author Topic: Bearings question  (Read 7343 times)

m477

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: Bearings question
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
how often do you guys clean your bearings and what methods do you use?

i've been riding nothing but swiss since the 90s (more recently swiss 6 and swiss ceramic) but they never hold up for me. i'm temped to start buying cheap bearings again because of it. please edumacate me. how do i get my bearings to last more than a year?

I clean mine 2 or 3 times a year and use the bones cleaner bottle with 100% acetone (nail polish remover). Swiss ceramics are over 5 years old and running smooth. Do a search there are a bunch of good 'how to' youtube vids.

sports

• Rep: 21
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
can you get just the bearing spacers anywhere?

Flume

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »
indy abec 7s are just as good as swiss, and are a lot cheaper.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
I don't think any bearing is grossly more durable than the next....and I don't think cleaning them will make them stronger.....

m477

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
I don't think any bearing is grossly more durable than the next....and I don't think cleaning them will make them stronger.....

Right, cleaning them doesn't make them stronger, it just prevents premature failure.

m477

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
Also, the bearing spacers are important for long lasting durability. Here's a pic of 1 yr old spacers vs 5 yr old.

I have two completes and notice how pancaked the 5 year old ones are? The spacers take the brunt of shifting under impact... Keeps them aligned. Without the spacer the bearing is more likely to explode under impact.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
how often do you guys clean your bearings and what methods do you use?

i've been riding nothing but swiss since the 90s (more recently swiss 6 and swiss ceramic) but they never hold up for me. i'm temped to start buying cheap bearings again because of it. please edumacate me. how do i get my bearings to last more than a year?
[close]

I clean mine 2 or 3 times a year and use the bones cleaner bottle with 100% acetone (nail polish remover). Swiss ceramics are over 5 years old and running smooth. Do a search there are a bunch of good 'how to' youtube vids.
i've taken that route before but maybe i just wasn't doing it often enough. either that or i've been eating too many cheeseburgers.

m477

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
What happens to your bearings? Do they explode or seize?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »

http://www.diamondsupplyco.com/skate-hardgoods/diamond-smoke-rings.html

My girlfriend just gave me those in christmas... do somebody know if they are any good? I know they are the most expensive that diamond has but cant find any feedback.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 05:09:45 AM »

http://www.diamondsupplyco.com/skate-hardgoods/diamond-smoke-rings.html

My girlfriend just gave me those in christmas... do somebody know if they are any good? I know they are the most expensive that diamond has but cant find any feedback.
They should be alright. Never skated them, but the shields look removable, and they're rubber shields which means it's probably got a nylon cage, so they shouldn't be too bad.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 05:10:42 AM »
It's because nobody actually skates anything Diamond. The only thing people buy is the clothing, and you can't ask those people because they don't skateboard.

I know they are now more of a lifestyle brand, but they still sell the skate hardgoods so i don't blame then for being smart and making the easy money with all the apparel!
Diamond seem to make quality products and i don't mind support them. I never bought bearings more expensive than Reds so i'm curious if they are really that better (they cost twice the price).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
I doubt it.....

What you might want to try though to get full value is drill a hole in the case and wear it around your neck....

Prince Nelson

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Expand Quote
It's because nobody actually skates anything Diamond. The only thing people buy is the clothing, and you can't ask those people because they don't skateboard.
[close]

I know they are now more of a lifestyle brand, but they still sell the skate hardgoods so i don't blame then for being smart and making the easy money with all the apparel!
Diamond seem to make quality products and i don't mind support them. I never bought bearings more expensive than Reds so i'm curious if they are really that better (they cost twice the price).

Weren't you the same person talking about using epoxy glue on some Ace trucks to keep the axle from slipping? You do know that Diamond makes Ace Trucks, correct?

Don't buy anything other than Swiss, end of story.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
I've never had Swiss so I can't say how they compare, but I just got Indy Blacks and they are by far the best I have ever used. I saw a lot of people posting in some thread that they are very comparable to Swiss. They just came out, so nobody really knows how long they last, but everyone has said great things about them.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Diamond seem to make quality products and i don't mind support them. I never bought bearings more expensive than Reds so i'm curious if they are really that better (they cost twice the
[close]

Weren't you the same person talking about using epoxy glue on some Ace trucks to keep the axle from slipping? You do know that Diamond makes Ace Trucks, correct?

Don't buy anything other than Swiss, end of story.

If i could i would choose swiss, but it was a gift from my girl, that pretty much doesnt know nothing about skateboarding so i cant be that mad with it! Oh and i keep forgetting that Ace and Diamond association. Ace seems like a "core" brand and Diamond isn't core at all! I just said that about the quality because all i had Diamond labeled (grip and bolts) was good but yeah ace's arent that quality (but i still like'em :v )

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
I've never had Swiss so I can't say how they compare, but I just got Indy Blacks and they are by far the best I have ever used. I saw a lot of people posting in some thread that they are very comparable to Swiss. They just came out, so nobody really knows how long they last, but everyone has said great things about them.

Their description sounds good (labyrinth shields), albeit gimmicky. If the shields are non-contact, how are they water resistant? I also wonder if the black paint bleeds into the inner races. There's no reason to paint them as the outer parts of a bearing do not need oxidation protection.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »
What happens to your bearings? Do they explode or seize?
neither. they get really slow and cleaning never really seemed to do much. but that might be because i wait until they are slow before i think about cleaning them.