Author Topic: Thrasher pushing expectations in skateboarding  (Read 3025 times)

149cleveland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Thrasher pushing expectations in skateboarding
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:14:18 AM »
What does SLAP think about where skateboarding is headed as Thrasher continues to release content?

For example, Thrasher has been putting out "teasers" for video parts for a while now with descriptions so hackneyed they come off as desperate, e.g. "You gotta watch this. This guy straight up kills it. Let the skating do the talking." Omg that's the same description as the last guy whose name I can't remember.

They also spoil tricks in firing lines, e.g. "Ends it with a crazy ledge combo" or "you gotta see what he does next." You might as well just tell us what tricks are done, how many mph they were going, and how big the rail or stairs are.

I feel more and more numb to the point where I just don't watch any new guy's footage. Everyone is getting gnarlier but at the same time we're just waiting for the next monster rollercoaster rail with 24 kinks.

With all of this progression that seems to be meaningless since all of our reactions are "Oh yeah that was fuckin' sick, NEXT" as MJ says, it seems like skateboarding needs to "devolve" a bit from going for the same type of big shit that we've all seen before. Stuff like Dylan Witkin's ender in Gone Fishin' is still gnarly but in a much different way. People with good style, e.g. Al Davis, Brad Cromer will always get people wanting to skate. But another guy 50-50's a triple kink? Yawn. Oh, it's a feeble? Fuck that, it's one stair short from the other guy's.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but if kids are growing up watching these videos and accepting a quad kink as a "normal" trick that everyone has seen before, what are the consequences? WILL SKATEBOARDING DIE AGAIN BECAUSE EVERYONE GOT TOO GNARLY AND BROKE THEIR NECKS TRYING TO HARDFLIP WHILE DOING THE LOOP ON GO SKATEBOARDING DAY SPONSORED BY MONSTER ENERGY??  :'(

Gnarlier and gnarlier tricks by the same formula + Less and less of a positive/stoked reaction from viewers = ?

Discuss.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
Re: Thrasher pushing expectations in skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
If you spend more time skating and less time watching Thrasher your problem will be solved

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
as MJ says, it seems like skateboarding needs to "devolve" a bit from going for the same type of big shit that we've all seen before.
in my opinion, it doesn't need to "devolve" it needs to refocus. not trying to go marginally larger than the previous dude isn't regression when you are supplanting it with innovation, ingenuity, and a pleasing natural style.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3326
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
I canceled my subscription to The Skateboard Mag and started a subscription to Thrasher in 2014.

GoodguyEh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
a mans gotta eat

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
#Firstworldproblems

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
Shut up, go skate and make your own simple trick and stylish videos on your own.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
If you don't like the absolute shit ton of free quality footage that thrasher is helping generate then you might be making a simple pleasure complicated. No body was putting out 3 parts in a year a few years back and now the sickest guys out are doing it. Bobby p, ishod, succi, ect... Who wants to go back to only a couple of videos a year that you have to pay for and having to wait years between you favorite guys parts.

The lifestyle is what you do with you friends, the rest is just entertainment. It's like bitch about how there are awesome awesome parks every where now.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
I still buy Thrashers every now and then

even though they cost $5 now

wish Slap Mag was still around!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

stupidiot

• Rep: -55
  • this is my facebook
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Ide suggest looking into Transworld.
Skateboarding Life Art Potatos