Author Topic: Just moved to Orange County  (Read 5605 times)

QUIT SINNIN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
Just moved to Orange County
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
So I just moved to Orange County, and am looking for places to skate. I know I'm around a lot of famous stuff, but let's remember I'm pretty mediocre (no handrails or stair sets please). What are the best skateparks? Also, which ones have lights? Seems like everything is pretty meh compared to Denver. The Etnies park looks pretty cool.

I know all the parks out here require pads, is that actually enforced?

Hoping to move to LA soon, but any advice is helpful... Not really trying to street skate by myself as I know absolutely no one, but cool schoolyard spots or anything mellow would be great.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:04:29 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
Re: Just moved to Orange County
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
What part of Orange County?
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
So I just moved to Orange County, and am looking for places to skate. I know I'm around a lot of famous stuff, but let's remember I'm pretty mediocre (no handrails or stair sets please). What are the best skateparks? Also, which ones have lights? Seems like everything is pretty meh compared to Denver. The Etnies park looks pretty cool.

I know all the parks out here require pads, is that actually enforced?

Hoping to move to LA soon, but any advice is helpful... Not really trying to street skate by myself as I know absolutely no one, but cool schoolyard spots or anything mellow would be great.

Thanks!

it depends on where in orange county your at and what your trying to skate.  Costa mesa park is cool it has lights.  your supposed to wear pads but no one ever does and they have pad nanny every now and then you simply just walk out before they come in wait a bit then go back in.  Night time seems to be the best time.  santa ana (centennial park) is pretty good if you want some street stuff.  ledges pyramids a bank etc.  Long Beach is about 15-20 mins away and theres tons of parks there. heres a site thats pretty useful if your looking for parks. http://www.socalskateparks.com
I would suggest maybe just posting up at one of the parks and talking to a few peeps or hitting one of the shops in the OC.  Jokers skate shop is a really good one if your further down south.  Furnace is a really good shop if your north oc.  Terrace is a really good shop as well. if you hit LB just come thru to cherry park everyone is pretty laid-back if your not kooking it of course but yeah i hope this helps

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks. I'm in Yorba Linda right now, working in Long Beach. I went to McBride the other day, good shit. Any schools where there is a lot of stuff to skate?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
Thanks. I'm in Yorba Linda right now, working in Long Beach. I went to McBride the other day, good shit. Any schools where there is a lot of stuff to skate?

not really theres a few though.  One good spot is the ledges at hill middle school in lb its in a lot of videos they have the butter benches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_3uFaQe8I

I mean i can go on and on but its best to talk to peeps and see whats up.  Shit comes and goes. some spots are good for a bit and some you can't.  Theres good times to go etc.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not really theres a few though.  One good spot is the ledges at hill middle school in lb its in a lot of videos they have the butter benches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_3uFaQe8I

I mean i can go on and on but its best to talk to peeps and see whats up.  Shit comes and goes. some spots are good for a bit and some you can't.  Theres good times to go etc.

Ha thanks man. If you wana PM me I'd love to hear you go on and on. Or if you wanna skate sometime.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »
Centennial is way more fun, could learn new tricks and skate for hours. Costa Mesa is overrated and there always a bunch of kooks there. You should also check out Brea park, fun tranny and ledges. La habra park isn't that far and it has lights.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
It's funny, you grow up seeing spots all over OC/LA in magazines and videos and dream of being out here...Now that I"m here I have no idea what to do or where to go. Overwhelming here for sure.

Went to Cherry Park today-fucking great. Such minimalist perfection.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »
Centennial is way more fun, could learn new tricks and skate for hours. Costa Mesa is overrated and there always a bunch of kooks there. You should also check out Brea park, fun tranny and ledges. La habra park isn't that far and it has lights.

I need to make it over to Centennial. I skate Costa Mesa almost every day and it's always very whatever.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
It's funny, you grow up seeing spots all over OC/LA in magazines and videos and dream of being out here...Now that I"m here I have no idea what to do or where to go. Overwhelming here for sure.

Went to Cherry Park today-fucking great. Such minimalist perfection.

I'm usually up there on the weekends now due to work schedule plus I got injured/surgery(awaiting Physical Therapy) so I'm just up there chillin with homies.  If i see someone new up there ill assume its you lol. I'm prob on a bike or cruiser board

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »

he totally right about that one. mesa kinda is meh but of course everyone skates different

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
why did you move to Yorba Linda if you work in Long Beach?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
why did you move to Yorba Linda if you work in Long Beach?

Because I'm living for free with family. And the Long Beach gig is only temporary

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
Gotcha

Don't know bout Yorba Linda for spots but The Bruery is close by if you like beer.  A gem in the middle of an otherwise arguably boring ass area
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:53:28 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:02:31 PM »
Gotcha

Don't know bout Yorba Linda for spots but The Bruery is close by if you like beer.  A gem in the middle of an otherwise arguably boring ass area

yeah it's pretty quiet up here

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »
Gotcha

and feel free to suggest spots anywhere in OC

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Gotcha

[close]

and feel free to suggest spots anywhere in OC

if you're into music shows the observatory is a cool cheap spot.  You could see an array of top notch musical artists from all genre's all for about 20 bucks or free in some cases http://observatoryoc.com/calendar.  Fullerton has a shit load of bars the girls are always out kinda college town vibe if your into that not too far away from your area. I don't know too much about oc bars i don't really go to many there i usually stick to LA/LB bars since its close to me

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
Bixby park in LBC is pretty tight. I know some ditch spots in Irvine. There's one behind LA Fitness that's pretty pimp.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Gotcha

[close]

you do have the Richard Nixon Library

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gotcha

[close]

[close]

you do have the Richard Nixon Library
Dont, you'll get rolled quickly

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »
Cherry Park is some kind of miracle. It would cost less than a G to build and is legitimately one of the best parks I've ever skated. Only thing missing is a pole jam. Was it DIY or just a happy accident? I'm tempted to just live in a van in the parking lot.

If only it had lights!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
Thas bixby park. same place. Def would cost more than a grand to build.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »

i dunno. maybe. not much more

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah there's granite tops on some of the ledges. Granite alone ain't cheap.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
But yeah it's definitely not some 400,000 dollar skatepark that's for sure. Def a nice park. You ever goto the little one in Huntington beach? I think it was built in the early 90's and has a pretty perfect ledge.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nah there's granite tops on some of the ledges. Granite alone ain't cheap.

that shit is all cracked now, only pitfall. but regardless the place is legit

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
so heres the story on cherry.  first no one calls it bixby unless you don't skate or unfamiliar.  It pretty weird because the actual "cherry park" is in bixby knolls in north long beach and "cherry park (skate)" is downtown on cherry but called bixby.  basically cherry died when they put grass around the stage then came back after a project called LB Free which the toy machine dudes and a few others built ledges by the traffic circle by the 405 freeway.  The city shut that down and austin stephens/matt bennett not sure which moved the ledges over to cherry(bixby) park. so it was this old green box and skinny flatbar box thing.  Then world (to my knowledge) donated the three step ledge, the flat ledge and the manny pad up ledge.  Rob G and Toya put the cinderblock ledge in the middle. there was a metal flat bar but since has been replaced by a better circle rail. The two granite ledges were donated by etnies(short ledge) and ambigious(long ledge)(via Matt B) and the little quarter pipe to my knowledge was built by ryan spencer.  It used to not have a gate around it and it made it even sicker since it seemed less skatepark like but i guess they put it there to have pedestrians walk through without getting hit which makes no sense since they seem to walk through anyways and more actually walk through. There used to be a long 6' quarterpipe (wood) but it got destroyed.  People seem to just leave old boxes and flatbars there too.  There was actually a few pole jams left there but out of town kids someone stole em.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:25:03 AM by Aatila »

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
so heres the story on cherry.  first no one calls it bixby unless you don't skate or unfamiliar.  It pretty weird because the actual "cherry park" is in bixby knolls in north long beach and "cherry park (skate)" is downtown on cherry but called bixby.  basically cherry died when they put grass around the stage then came back after a project called LB Free which the toy machine dudes and a few others built ledges by the traffic circle by the 405 freeway.  The city shut that down and austin stephens/matt bennett not sure which moved the ledges over to cherry(bixby) park. so it was this old green box and skinny flatbar box thing.  Then world (to my knowledge) donated the three step ledge, the flat ledge and the manny pad up ledge.  Rob G and Toya put the cinderblock ledge in the middle. there was a metal flat bar but since has been replaced by a better circle rail. The two granite ledges were donated by etnies(short ledge) and ambigious(long ledge)(via Matt B) and the little quarter pipe to my knowledge was built by ryan spencer.  It used to not have a gate around it and it made it even sicker since it seemed less skatepark like but i guess they put it there to have pedestrians walk through without getting hit which makes no sense since they seem to walk through anyways and more actually walk through. There used to be a long 6' quarterpipe (wood) but it got destroyed.  People seem to just leave old boxes and flatbars there too.  There was actually a few pole jams left there but out of town kids someone stole em.

only thing it's missing.

are there any other parks with good wallie/wallride setups or pole jams? or just good wallride street spots?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

only thing it's missing.

are there any other parks with good wallie/wallride setups or pole jams? or just good wallride street spots?
a few of my favorites...
Michael K Green Skatepark aka 14th street skatepark aka ghetto park has a in the ground pole jam
http://www.socalskateparks.com/listing/long-beach-orizaba-skate-spot.html
http://www.socalskateparks.com/listing/garden-grove-orange-county-skateparks.html
http://www.socalskateparks.com/listing/avocado-heights-skatepark-los-angeles-skateparks.html

Pinballer

• Rep: -2
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
If you're trying to skate ledges, hit up UCI. That place is a playground for skaters. Just cruise around the campus and you're bound to find spots. Also Huntington Beach skatepark is pretty sick, it just opened up this summer I think. However, you do have to wear pads.