Author Topic: New Tony Hawk game  (Read 7641 times)

Custom skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -80
New Tony Hawk game
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »
So basically,  what do you guys think this new Tony Hawk game is gonna be? I am personally hoping that it is going to be tony hawk underground 3, but I doubt it.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: New Tony Hawk game
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
IDK but it better be much more like SKATE than any THPS

Custom skater

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »

If you are talking about controls, then no, they wouldn't make it anything like SKATE because that is not what people want when they play a Tony Hawk game.

Unless you're talking about a different aspect of SKATE like a huge open world we still don't know anything.

Custom skater

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
i think the general public didnt like SKATE, the controls and complicated and the story has no appeal to people who aren't familiar with skateboarding.

tony hawk was more accessible and that THUG storyline was so good at the time. I'd like to the THUG story, you went pro, then did the world destruction tour and became a legend, then piled out and now has to make a comeback, and somehow ended up back on a team with eric sparrow whose also a washed up pro.

Keep the really tight control that the original games had. I have THPSHD the animations are off and it does not control as well as the older games. split screen I also liked tony hawks multiplayer a lot better.

i hope this pans out

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »
^^ Skate 3 is one of the few games they have ever had to start reprinting after production had officially stopped because the demand never subsided.

It's mainstream appeal was absurd. It's a shame the studio that made it got canablized.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Custom skater

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
i think the general public didnt like SKATE, the controls and complicated and the story has no appeal to people who aren't familiar with skateboarding.

tony hawk was more accessible and that THUG storyline was so good at the time. I'd like to the THUG story, you went pro, then did the world destruction tour and became a legend, then piled out and now has to make a comeback, and somehow ended up back on a team with eric sparrow whose also a washed up pro.

Keep the really tight control that the original games had. I have THPSHD the animations are off and it does not control as well as the older games. split screen I also liked tony hawks multiplayer a lot better.

i hope this pans out

No dude. Skate was very popular with the public. It got popular due to the fact that it was giving a new take on the genre. It also got popular because it was released in 2007, the same year we got proving ground which was the 9th game in the series. By then the tony hawk games were getting old and so skate comes  that give players a new way to play skateboarding and thus it outsold tony hawk proving ground.

I think for the new tony hawk game, if it becomes story driven, it would be cool to see it continue from the tony hawk underground series. Even if it doesn't,  it would be cool to make a reference to our created character or eric sparrow in the game.

And yes the controls and physics need to go back to the old school tony hawk games. THPSHD was ruined for me when I realised how different the physics were from the original first two. Also WE NEED SPLIT SCREEN.

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you are talking about controls, then no, they wouldn't make it anything like SKATE because that is not what people want when they play a Tony Hawk game.

Unless you're talking about a different aspect of SKATE like a huge open world we still don't know anything.
I saw a non skate related facebook page post about the new Tony Hawks game and every single one of the top comments said they would prefer Skate 4 or for it to be made like Skate. I have friends that don't skate but loved the skate games. I'd say a majority of the mainstream audience would prefer a new Skate game over a new Tony Hawks.
That being said, I would still be hyped on THUG3 if they did make it like that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:03:47 PM by cuntzilla »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Custom skater

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I saw a non skate related facebook page post about the new Tony Hawks game and every single one of the top comments said they would prefer Skate 4 or for it to be made like Skate. I have friends that don't skate but loved the skate games. I'd say a majority of the mainstream audience would prefer a new Skate game over a new Tony Hawks.
That being said, I would still be hyped on THUG3 if they did make it like that.

Yeah I can believe that. But the way I see it is if the new tony hawk game does well from both reviewers and sales, there is a chance another company is going to try make a skateboarding game to profit from the market. It could possibly be ea, or some other company.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
AAA titles have trended towards the more realistic side of things for quite a while now. Just using shooters as an example there's very few Doom or Unreal Tournament style fast and unrealistic arcade shooters anymore. Most tend to favor one shot kills, duck and cover mechanics sometimes real world weapons, weapons that break over time and some go into resource collecting like hunting and gathering food. Gamers are obsessive and they they will go above and beyond to learn the ins and outs of the toughest systems games have to offer. Look at Dark Souls, the thing is brutal but gamers love to put in actual work to get good at it.

So I think now more than ever people will eat up the difficult and more realistic Skate controls and love mastering them. They are a hell of a lot more satisfying and fun to use and its just my opinion but I think the old THPS controls are outdated because of Skate.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:46:22 PM by landCow »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »
It's mainstream appeal was absurd. It's a shame the studio that made it got canablized.

They fucked up by calling it EA Black box. Should have been EA DLX or EA Dwindle at least.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
"I think fans of THPS series will be hyped."

You only think they will be hyped? Bummer

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »
I think this game will be absolute shit, I'll bet money on it. You guys know Activision has no choice but to make this right? They signed a contract with Tony Hawk while he was super hot to make a numerous amount of games, and this one is the last of  the games they agreed on. The three or four previous game didn't sell well at all (obviously because they were garbage, the last two didn't even get released in Europe due to poor sales), so I don't think Activision is amped to make this game happen. If it's not some plastic board bullshit, it'll be a uninspired Proving Ground 2.0.   

Custom skater

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
I think this game will be absolute shit, I'll bet money on it. You guys know Activision has no choice but to make this right? They signed a contract with Tony Hawk while he was super hot to make a numerous amount of games, and this one is the last of  the games they agreed on. The three or four previous game didn't sell well at all (obviously because they were garbage, the last two didn't even get released in Europe due to poor sales), so I don't think Activision is amped to make this game happen. If it's not some plastic board bullshit, it'll be a uninspired Proving Ground 2.0.   

Show me some evidence of the contract.

neonblitz

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »
its easier to do tricks in real life than in Skate lol

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This dude is talking out his ass. The plastic board video game wasn't even made by Activision. There was a video posted recently that went into detail about Tony Hawk and Activision's relationship (sorry can't find it) and nothing in that video and his quote match in any way. Complete bullshit
ableSkateMag.com

Custom skater

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This dude is talking out his ass. The plastic board video game wasn't even made by Activision. There was a video posted recently that went into detail about Tony Hawk and Activision's relationship (sorry can't find it) and nothing in that video and his quote match in any way. Complete bullshit

Activision doesn't make the games. They just publish it. The main developer has been neversoft (thps1-thpg). Then robomodo took over (ride-THPSHD)

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »
No need to be a dick, Able. They talked about it in length in some video game podcast i was listening to, so I assumed it was true. A quick google search linked me to this, which says he signed a contract in 2002 that last until 2015:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tony-hawk-signs-new-deal-with-activision/1100-2875474/

And according to Wikipedia, Activison have published ALL of the tony hawk games (maybe except the mobile ones)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:40:08 PM by darkslideoftheforce »

Custom skater

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
No need to be a dick, Able. They talked about it in length in some video game podcast i was listening to, so I assumed it was true. A quick google search linked me to this, which says he signed a contract in 2002 that last until 2015:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tony-hawk-signs-new-deal-with-activision/1100-2875474/

And according to Wikipedia, Activison have published ALL of the tony hawk games (maybe except the mobile ones)

I think that means that activision holds the rights for the tony hawk game until the end of 2015.

Also it's definitely not a yearly contract.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 07:53:20 AM »

Well shit. Upon some research I stand corrected on a couple points. I still wish I could find that detailed video laying out the history of Tony and Activision, but fuck it.
 I just didn't like the notion you put out there that Tony was "forcing" Activision to do another game. I used to listen to Tony Hawk's "Demolition Radio" show and when he announced the new game, he said that he was approached and made it sound like a surprise, but who knows. Not I...
ableSkateMag.com

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure robomodo is making this game, therefor it will be terrible.