Author Topic: Spots in Santa Cruz, CA  (Read 4601 times)

Aint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Spots in Santa Cruz, CA
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »
SC is pretty barren in terms of nice spots. A lot of the more notable ones are pretty tough to skate.

Ken Wormhoudt park is a really great park near downtown SC that has a medium sized street section with just about everything you'd want, and 3 separate bowl sections including a mini and a kidney. This is the more popular park in town.

Derby park is a piece of skateboarding history. It's been remodeled in the last year, and now has a nice little curved quarter pipe in the shallow end, a pyramid with a parking block and a nice little nipple to boost off of in the deep end.

Jose ave park is a strange little thing. Has a lot of odd transition and some nice ledges around the perimeter. Fun for a small group, but if more than 6 people are skating here then it gets really crowded. This place can also be pretty sketchy, as it's right next to a low income apartment complex and the surrounding park is a haven for drug deals.

Scotts Valley park is a 15 minute drive up highway 17. It's a really nice park with everything you'd ever want. The center of the park is transition, with the perimeter being a flowy street section with manual pads, ledges and a flatbar. BRING YOUR HELMET TO THIS PARK. The cops HOUND this place. Scotts valley is a boring little mountain town and the cops patrol this place at least twice a day and they WILL ticket you on a first offense.

Santa Cruz high is a pretty nice little spot. In the back there's a stage that's the perfect height for a manny pad, some fucked up ledges, a 6 stair and 3 block. Come here after 4 on weekdays. The staff here is chill, I've never been kicked out.

This ledge on laurel is pretty notable. It's long and is right in the middle of a huge hill. Extra point for a grind into hill bomb.

Harbor high school in midtown is pretty dope. It's got a lot of nice benches to skate, several awesome hills for bombing and a large stage in the back. Unlike Santa Cruz high, the staff here roams around on golf carts and will kick you out. Best day to go is on a sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWnL84wdxBo
This 8 stair in Aptos (known as the Scab 8, Scab used to be the skate shop directly in front of it) is pretty notable in the city, as it's pretty large and has a really nice runway. Located in the rio del mar shopping center in Aptos. Sometimes there are security guards that will boot you, but they dont patrol at night.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:44:04 AM by Aint »

UL8

• Rep: 29
Re: Spots in Santa Cruz, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

Jose ave park is a strange little thing. Has a lot of odd transition and some nice ledges around the perimeter. Fun for a small group, but if more than 6 people are skating here then it gets really crowded. This place can also be pretty sketchy, as it's right next to a low income apartment complex and the surrounding park is a haven for drug deals.

Nice guide man. Pretty comprehensive! From a very informed perspective though, I would have to disagree with this characterization of Jose. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but certainly not sketchy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:22:11 AM by UL8 »

Aint

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
Yeah, perhaps you're right. I used to skate Jose daily in 2008-2009, back before they put the fence around it. Maybe it's not so bad now.

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
i visited some friends there i usedta live in an arizona cave w/. they didn't skate but took us to 'the lost boys' bridge by the carnival. underneath there were sea lions basking on the beach. we dared each other to get up close and give em a little smack. not quite a jap slap but we were tapping the sea lion while another of us distracted them.
so funny, they'd hiss and wave their little dinosaur arms at us frantically and prolly they took out surfers later in an act of deferred rage but damn, what an experience. that prolly said 'california' more than anything else i've done there.
back to spots, i seen ron whaley skating a park. he just wanted to do some grinds but i asked him how he could ollie. my cousin can ollie. 18 boards stacked in a row. and semis.
he mentioned it in his standup act.
also, skatestopped at the time [03 or 04] was this flatbar goin off a 2 stair in a covered hallway. prolly it was a school of some sorts but i like to think it was a mission where spanish fathers welcomed the swallows w/  outstretched arms during the gold era.