Author Topic: Best cheaper bearings  (Read 22853 times)

Stanley Spadowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
Re: Best cheaper bearings
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yo I bought a set of those 25$ swiss bearings on ebay and they had to be a knock off. things barely moved out of the box and were all shot after skating two weeks at almost just the skate park - they didn't touch water. just a heads up!
[close]
Just go to your local and invest in swiss... they'll outlast anything else and are just simply the best
[close]

pretty much. you can get a few years out of a set of swiss. or you can go the cheap route and get new bearings every month or two. you buy two or three sets of cheap bearings and you've already hit the amount you wouldve spent on swiss.
Agreed. I've been running two sets of Swiss for over 10+ years.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Aint

• Rep: -4
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
I threw those ebay swiss in the trash and bought some hard lucks. Just wanted to let people know that it may be a scam.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
I get the swiss thing, trust me. They are all I ride.

Not so easy explaining it to a beginner whose whole set up cost the same amount.

Thanks for the heads up on the ebay swiss though. I don't want to get caught up in a scam...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
ninja (abec 7s), jive will back me up on this!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
I always ride the Indy's, feel really similar to Reds but are even cheaper.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »
I'm riding a mix match set right now. A few reds, a few shake junts, maybe a mini logo or two. Like I said earlier I try to stick with reds when I can, but it really doesn't matter to me.
The only time I switch a bearing is when the cage shatters on one. I usually just take it out and replace it with one I have laying around in this baggy of a dozen or so old bearings I have. I'm pretty sure I haven't paid for a set of bearings in two years or so. I'll maybe break one a few times a year.
As long as the cages are nylon and not metal, and I can pop the shields off, I can make em last for a while.

BMCsteve

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:46 AM »
$15 Rout Supply bearings came in yesterday.  Overall they look really high quality.  Stainless steel races and balls, 1 removable shield, nylon cage and built in spacers/speedrings. 

I only got to spend $15 minutes on them but they were just as fast as my broken in Swiss and the board was noticeably silent from any sort of rattling now that it's a full system instead of 5 parts per wheel

I know most people are just going to buy Bones anyway but I suggest checking these out.  Cant beat a rust proof built in bearing

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »
$15 Rout Supply bearings came in yesterday.  Overall they look really high quality.  Stainless steel races and balls, 1 removable shield, nylon cage and built in spacers/speedrings. 

I only got to spend $15 minutes on them but they were just as fast as my broken in Swiss and the board was noticeably silent from any sort of rattling now that it's a full system instead of 5 parts per wheel

I know most people are just going to buy Bones anyway but I suggest checking these out.  Cant beat a rust proof built in bearing

I like your approach but can these really be as good a Swiss? Or did I Alex Olson myself?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 05:31:20 AM »
Oh yeah, a word of advice; avoid Gold bearings (as in the ones the wheel company Gold makes). My buddy Ethan bought a set because they were inexpensive and he had two explode on him and a few lock up on him all within the second session. He switched them out for some other bearings the next day.
The shields were non removable and the cages were metal, pretty much sure signs that were not going to be decent bearings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:40:03 AM by Noble Experiment »

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »
Why do people use spacers? They seem useless to me because they way the bearing is seated in the wheel doesn't allow the bearing to slide in any deeper.

BMCsteve

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
Why do people use spacers? They seem useless to me because they way the bearing is seated in the wheel doesn't allow the bearing to slide in any deeper.

If you use spacers and speed rings you can tighten the wheel until there is no play with the wheel moving side to side.  It increases the life of the bearings and overall makes you setup feel solid.  

This is essentially how your wheels should be setup for optimal use

BMCsteve

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
I like your approach but can these really be as good a Swiss? Or did I Alex Olson myself?

We'll find out how durable they are.  The fact that they are built-ins and completely stainless steel gives them a huge advantage in my book.

Swiss are obviously proven great bearings and the standard by which everything else is judged but in my opinion the whole 2 bearings, a spacer and two speed rings per wheel seems really out dated versus this design. 

I'm also not sure why all skateboard bearings aren't stainless since they will get wet eventually

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »
yo I bought a set of those 25$ swiss bearings on ebay and they had to be a knock off. things barely moved out of the box and were all shot after skating two weeks at almost just the skate park - they didn't touch water. just a heads up!
I got them and didn't have a problem with them. They are NOT supposed to "move" out of the box, because they're lubed up. If you hold them between your thumb and forefinger and spin them, they shouldn't spin for very long. Mine felt fucking solid and amazing, so I don't think you know what the hell you are talking about.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »

Reminds me of these, and these sucked.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

BMCsteve

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
Yikes.  that looks terrible

The fully builtin bearing style has been around for a while used primarily by longboarder nerds.  They've been proved to be extremely durable and some of those dudes go like 70mph on them.  Yes I'm losing all credibility by referencing wrongboarders but if they have a good idea I have no problem stealing it

dillanharp

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
It just looks like more shit to break to be honest. Longboards aren't taking impact in to consideration either.

BMCsteve

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:18 AM »
It just looks like more shit to break to be honest. Longboards aren't taking impact in to consideration either.

It's actually less shit to break.  It's not the same design as those reflex bearings.  the ones i have are the same as any other 608 bearing but with the inner race extended to create a spacer and speed ring.  the point of them is to have less individual parts

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Minilogos are your best best, they're reds with a steal cage on one side. $8 USD

Indy7s are great, I'm running Indy Blacks right now and they are very very smooth and fast. Jury is out on durability as I've only had them a couple of weeks.

Super reds aren't worth it, I'd get Indy 7s over them any day.

Swiss Six Balls are my favorite, you can actually feel the difference when skating compared to any 7 ball, at least I can. They're very, very smooth and fast. I'm sitting on 7 of them as I broke a race on one =(

Zealous Bearings for $13 built in spaces and rings, hell of a deal. Magic seems to use the same base/manu and relabels them (just like any company that sells bearings....)

http://www.vxb.com/SRCH.html?Store_Code=bearings&Search=skateboard

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We'll find out how durable they are.  The fact that they are built-ins and completely stainless steel gives them a huge advantage in my book.

Swiss are obviously proven great bearings and the standard by which everything else is judged but in my opinion the whole 2 bearings, a spacer and two speed rings per wheel seems really out dated versus this design. 

I'm also not sure why all skateboard bearings aren't stainless since they will get wet eventually

Ebbetts is the Swiss of ball caps....you pay a premium not buy China made products....

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
well, i just opened some of the 'ebay swiss'. they didn't have spacers in the packaging and the plastic shrink wrap was different, too. do regular swiss have the lase etching around the edge? super red's and super 6's usually do if memory serves. oh well. if i had a rain board or cruiser i'd put them on that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »

i actually cannot comprehened why people DON'T use them; no spacers makes your wheels/ trucks feel sooo soggy

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 12:33:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got them and didn't have a problem with them. They are NOT supposed to "move" out of the box, because they're lubed up. If you hold them between your thumb and forefinger and spin them, they shouldn't spin for very long. Mine felt fucking solid and amazing, so I don't think you know what the hell you are talking about.
I as well bought those $25 swiss that someone on here posted just after christmas. shits did not break in. they were definitely defective so I explained it to ebay and luckily got my money back. thinking I should just go back to reds but what about shake junt? I saw some advertised as abec 7 for cheap are they worth it? I've never really given a shit about bearings because they never last me. all the tricks I seem to do are some kind of 180 variation so I blow em out pretty quickly

BMCsteve

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »
all the tricks I seem to do are some kind of 180 variation so I blow em out pretty quickly

Just a heads up, this is why you use spacers and speed rings.  The lateral force when you land something like a 180 and slide is what spacers disburse.  Without them all of the force is going on the inner race of one bearing causing them to fail

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I as well bought those $25 swiss that someone on here posted just after christmas. shits did not break in. they were definitely defective so I explained it to ebay and luckily got my money back. thinking I should just go back to reds but what about shake junt? I saw some advertised as abec 7 for cheap are they worth it? I've never really given a shit about bearings because they never last me. all the tricks I seem to do are some kind of 180 variation so I blow em out pretty quickly

It's definitely a scam. They are counterfeit, they're are all coming from the same place and the market is flooded with them. And you can't buy Bones bearings without spacers at retail. It's a dead giveaway. Just buy Bones from your local or an online retailer you trust.

Aint

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
When I say they barely moved out of the box, I mean that they barely moved. I spun them between my fingers it felt like there was literally something lodged in it. There wasn't. The things are just cheap knock offs. Really well reproduced though. Maybe you got some off a different vendor.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »
So everyone who got the $25 Swiss bearings from eBay can confirm if they bought from rainee363? cause that's who i bought mine from and it didn't come with spacers although there supposed to have them as stated by the official website.

EDIT: The seller had a dropdown option on the page if you wanted it with or without spacers. So if you bought it with the spacers, it'll be $4 more. That's messed up if they originally come with it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:39:10 AM by ferraveemo »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 04:23:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

We'll find out how durable they are.  The fact that they are built-ins and completely stainless steel gives them a huge advantage in my book.

[close]

Ebbetts is the Swiss of ball caps....you pay a premium not buy China made products....

You should go and buy one of those LV rucksacks. Can you pick one up at a cool NY store?

In the end I just got them super reds. Bones always have the best bearings and will last a while.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:29:39 AM by 360 frip »

Candygirl

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
SKF-bearings.

They cost about 20 Euro and last forever.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410w6KH4llL.jpg

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
Shake Junt bearings are surprisingly good. I had the ABEC 5's and they were way better than any Bones Reds I've ever had. I've never really liked Reds... They crap out after about a month or two.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »
Ive had aset of Lucky bearings, some Abec 5s, for ages now. I dont use them for my regular setup anymore ,just for the cruiser, but I skated them heavily for around 2-3 years, never did anything with them, maybe just some cleaning every 4 months, but never used any oil or anything ,and those fuckers are still going strong , after probably 4-5 years of heavy using.