Author Topic: Tokyo, Bangkok, and other parts of SE Asia  (Read 18087 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Tokyo, Bangkok, and other parts of SE Asia
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »
So I'll be heading to SE Asia in April and making a 4 day stopover in Tokyo on the way. Any Slap pals around or have tips to give? I've been to Bangkok plenty of times so I know about all the parks and a few spots but if anyone lives there and is down to hang out/skate lemme know! I haven't ever been to Tokyo before so any info or locals willing to hang out would be appreciated. I'll be around SE Asia for about a month and haven't decided where else I'll be going yet.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Tokyo, Bangkok, and other parts of SE Asia
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »
So I'll be heading to SE Asia in April and making a 4 day stopover in Tokyo on the way. Any Slap pals around or have tips to give? I've been to Bangkok plenty of times so I know about all the parks and a few spots but if anyone lives there and is down to hang out/skate lemme know! I haven't ever been to Tokyo before so any info or locals willing to hang out would be appreciated. I'll be around SE Asia for about a month and haven't decided where else I'll be going yet.
I'll actually be in Tokyo for work from April to June so if you wanna link up I'm down.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
For sure, I'll be there from the 1st - 6th.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:27 PM »
For sure, I'll be there from the 1st - 6th.
OK. I work week days 10-6. Weekends and national holidays off.
Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to hit up. I'll PM you my contact info.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »
dropping by Singapore?  we got some parks, one at Somerset (right in the middle of the shopping district) and a huge one at East Coast Park, huge bowels, some stairs, ledges, proper park...

we got a bunch of street spots, PM me if you need more details.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 01:37:14 AM »
Will be in Hanoi in April if you want to cruise. Let me know!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »
Nah, I don't think I'm going to make it to Singapore or Hanoi. The only thing set is Tokyo April 2nd through the 5th then Bangkok. I'll be in Thailand from the 5th through the 22nd roaming around - might pop over into Cambodia or take a short trip to Burma though.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
Odaiba is worth it (probably not Sat/Sun).

The area around the Emperor's palace/Yurakucho has lots of stuff (but it will need to be a national holiday).

Parks in Shibuya, Shin Yokohama and Hachioji are all fun (probably in the reverse of that order). Hachioji is a hike without a car though...

Sakura Gicho is worth going for the ambience but I think all of the big spots have been fucked up.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:25:29 AM »
Nah, I don't think I'm going to make it to Singapore or Hanoi. The only thing set is Tokyo April 2nd through the 5th then Bangkok. I'll be in Thailand from the 5th through the 22nd roaming around - might pop over into Cambodia or take a short trip to Burma though.
There's a few decent spots in Phnom Penh if you do get to Cambodia. I lived there a few years back and skated a bit with some locals. Mainly flatground in plazas but there's some banks and ledges around. There's a pretty weird roller-skating rink on the roof of the Sorya Mall that has a pretty sketchy quarter-pipe/ bank type thing in it that could be fun. It was always pretty packed though, and the signs say no skateboards but if you slip the dude a few bucks he might let you in. I think a skate shop opened up there last year maybe so if you head there I'm sure they'll look after you. If you go up to Siem Reap there's a mini ramp on the roof of a pub which could be a bit of fun, I never got to skate it.

On a side note, while I was living there I happened to come across some of Jonathan Mehring's photos of the place. I sent him an email just to say how I liked his work, and that I was living there. He replied that Kenny Reed and a few other pros were heading to PP in the next few weeks and would I mind if he put us in touch. Of course I didn't mind if he put me in touch with one of my favourite skaters! So Kenny emailed me and asked if I could show him and a bunch of other dudes around some spots, but I had to head back to Australia for a stupid wedding so I missed them. Bummed.   

michael

• Rep: 4
  • lurkallday
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »
I have been living in Bangkok for the past 8 years, and I have been to Burma (Myanmar) about 20 times. I am familiar with the skate scene in Myanmar so if you plan on going over there, send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the right people. I went to Cambodia with Kenny (he is one of my best friends) and Fred Gall came with us as well. We met up with Jonathan Mehring while we were there and had a great time. If you want any info on Skateistan in Cambodia, I can also hook you up with the right people. I am just trying to being helpful, so if you would like any info, feel free to send me a PM……..cheers, michael

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
Will be in Bangkok from the 21st to 25th of April if anyone wants to kick it and skate around old man style.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
Heading to Bangkok in September.
Going to be with my girl so skating is pretty much out of the question but would like to visit a local shop while I'm out there.
Can anyone here recommend the best place to go?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Going to be with my girl so skating is pretty much out of the question but would like to visit a local shop while I'm out there.

There is a place with an indoor park in a shopping mall. It isn't the best thing but it has air conditioning and is cheap. There is a shop next to it too. Not the best selection of stuff (Emerica/Etnies/Volcom/Crail tap etc). Might be an ok place to go because your girl could look about in the mall too. There are restaurants and a cinema too...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wza/sets/72157607978160792/with/2936781363/

That's their Flickr, there was no bowl when I went though. Also, it is very close to metro stop.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:00:34 PM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is a place with an indoor park in a shopping mall. It isn't the best thing but it has air conditioning and is cheap. There is a shop next to it too. Not the best selection of stuff (Emerica/Etnies/Volcom/Crail tap etc). Might be an ok place to go because your girl could look about in the mall too. There are restaurants and a cinema too...

That's their Flickr, there was no bowl when I went though. Also, it is very close to metro stop.
Cheers!
You lived in Japan right? Is skate stuff out there cheaper or about the same?
Would be nice to stock up on some shit.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Cheers!

I used to live there but I'm in Hong Kong now. Skate stuff in Japan should be more expensive than the U.S. around 8000-9000 a board, unless you get a sale board. Bangkok should be cheaper, I think. That shop had a table full of reduced boards. If I remember rightly, there were loads of Girl boards...

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 11:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Cheers!
[close]

I used to live there but I'm in Hong Kong now. Skate stuff in Japan should be more expensive than the U.S. around 8000-9000 a board, unless you get a sale board. Bangkok should be cheaper, I think. That shop had a table full of reduced boards. If I remember rightly, there were loads of Girl boards...
Sorry, I live in Japan. I meant Japan versus Thailand. Decks are even more expensive here now.
You'll be lucky to find one in a shop under 10,000. Decently priced shoes in my size is really what I need though.
Since I can't come back with an STD from a ladyboy or some ya ba smuggled in my butthole this time, was hoping to grab some proddy on the cheap.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 01:25:02 AM »
Yaba. Crazy Thais!

When I first got to Japan in 98, boards were 10,000 to 12,000 new. Such a burn!

There is this place which is quite cheap on Rakuten. They are pretty friendly.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/cutback/

I always used to buy stuff from here. Loads of boards! If you get the chance to go to the shop, it is quite a trip...1/2 old school Japanese stationary store, 1/2 skateboards. The owner is a good guy too.

http://r-fskate.com/

They have a load of boards and postage was only 500 yen I think.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »
Anyone in Vietnam?! I am in serious need of some older dude skate time  :-\

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
http://r-fskate.com/

They have a load of boards and postage was only 500 yen I think.
Shit yeah, thanks! Totally forgot about RF skate.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »
Alright, I talked my woman into going to a ping pong show.
Any good places or places I should definitely avoid?

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and looks like the time frame that would work best would be January sometime, or the latest in February. Are these horrible times weather wise for skating, chilling, etc.. Tokyo pals, help me out.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »
Coldest time of the year doe

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:27:41 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and looks like the time frame that would work best would be January sometime, or the latest in February. Are these horrible times weather wise for skating, chilling, etc.. Tokyo pals, help me out.
That's a matter of perspective I suppose. It's cold but not too cold to skate and kick it in the streets at night.
If you're coming from someplace warm then yeah you'll probably be bummed.
You can skate year round here but I'd say the worst month for skating is June as it just rains non-stop.

Edit: If you do come out feel free to hit me up. I'll take you out boozing and cruising.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's a matter of perspective I suppose. It's cold but not too cold to skate and kick it in the streets at night.
If you're coming from someplace warm then yeah you'll probably be bummed.
You can skate year round here but I'd say the worst month for skating is June as it just rains non-stop.

Edit: If you do come out feel free to hit me up. I'll take you out boozing and cruising.

Ha..sounds good. Definitely will.

the antics

• Rep: 0
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
Hey, figured id start here rather than starting a new thread!
Im moving to bangkok with my girl. Wondering about what people have to say about it skating wise.
Any suggestions as far as do's and dont's and just any recommendations you guys might have!
we will be living around the thonburi district most likely. Looked up a bunch of videos and im pretty excited

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
Hey, figured id start here rather than starting a new thread!
Im moving to bangkok with my girl. Wondering about what people have to say about it skating wise.
Any suggestions as far as do's and dont's and just any recommendations you guys might have!
we will be living around the thonburi district most likely. Looked up a bunch of videos and im pretty excited
Bangkok is rad. Good food, people are cool, and tons of shit to do.
There are a lot of really good spots around the city. Defo hit up Preduce skate shop in Siam square.
Aod is usually behind the counter I think, he's a cool guy once you get him talking.
There is also a backyard bowl built by the Felem guys in the Bang Rak area I believe.
A Japanese dude lives in the house where it's located at. Chat him up for permission to skate it and you should be good.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:59 AM »
Didn't see this mentioned, any slap pals living in Bangkok? Heading there in June for 6 months at least, looking to chill, cruise.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 05:51:07 AM »
Just as a heads up, the Felem bowl I mentioned above got tore down.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »
Just as a heads up, the Felem bowl I mentioned above got tore down.

I had noticed there was some whatever skatepark in some mall but had this killer looking mini bowl. I guess the park is still there but they took out the bowl which blows because it's most likely the only thing I'd want to skate.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »
I never went to the indoor so I can't really comment on that.
There are a lot of great street spots but the roads are pretty gnarly. Rough ground, lots of people and heavy traffic.