Author Topic: BUILDING A MINI RAMP! I NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE!  (Read 7524 times)

eric_kinslow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
BUILDING A MINI RAMP! I NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE!
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »
I'm building a miniramp and I would like some help. I'm thinking of building it 4' by 12'. do you think that is enough? Does anyone have any plans already that i could maybe have like this?

http://diyskate.com/mini_03.html

These plans are very precise but they are the wrong dimensions. I think i should make them work.

Any other advice is appreciated!

Also how have you installed coping? I don't want to drill a hole through it, it just seems weird. I'm thinking of usuing some sort of putty adhesive or caulk instead.

eric_kinslow

Re: BUILDING A MINI RAMP! I NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »
There is also a cool video by VICE showing you how to build it, but it is not as precise as i'm wanting.

plankskate

• Rep: 8
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Don't bother trying to attach coping any way other than screwing it in.   There's a reason that coping is ALWAYS screwed in.

4ft is pretty narrow.  Not enough space to grind and you'll be limited on what tricks you can do.  How big is your space? 

Don't cheap out on ribs.. if you space them too far apart your ramp will be mushy.

eric_kinslow

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
Don't bother trying to attach coping any way other than screwing it in.   There's a reason that coping is ALWAYS screwed in.

4ft is pretty narrow.  Not enough space to grind and you'll be limited on what tricks you can do.  How big is your space? 

Don't cheap out on ribs.. if you space them too far apart your ramp will be mushy.

I was thinking 4 feet tall, and 12 or maybe even 16 feet wide for grinding distance if I have the room.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm building a miniramp and I would like some help. I'm thinking of building it 4' by 12'. do you think that is enough? Does anyone have any plans already that i could maybe have like this?

http://diyskate.com/mini_03.html

These plans are very precise but they are the wrong dimensions. I think i should make them work.

Any other advice is appreciated!

Also how have you installed coping? I don't want to drill a hole through it, it just seems weird. I'm thinking of usuing some sort of putty adhesive or caulk instead.

Make it 16' if you can fit it. You could still have fun on a 12 footer.

Those plans are a good starting point. I do think that 8" spaced studs is overkill. Assuming that you are double sheeting the surface (under the top layer of masonite), you can get away with 10" or 12" spacing. Where two sheets connect, make a "T" out of 2x4s (one wide side up and the other under it) instead of butting them up against each other.

Other changes: Frame the sides (templates). Run a 2x4 vertically along the back and one along the bottom (from the back to the flat bottom). If so, you'd only need 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4". I've seen people use OSB for the sides, but I can not confirm its longevity. Also, the templates do not need to run the length of the platform. That way, you could still use one sheet of ply for both templates for a 4' ramp (it may be a few inches shorter to accommodate the 3 1/2 inches on the bottom).

You can see how the template/platform connects here:

As long as you don't screw it directly on top, hanging up on the hole in the coping will never be an issue. Don't worry about it.

Other tips: you can use twine instead of a stud to draw the templates. Use a rasp to smooth out the lines and draw the others off that first template. Use nails for the studs, self-tapping drywall screws to fasten the surface, and long nickel-plated wood screws for the coping. If you use 8' transitions, you should be able to cut them with a circular saw flat on grass (back the blade off so that it barely clears the sheet).

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
Toggle bolts are the way to go...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
I just drilled holes straight through.....stuck a hockey stick in it eh....worked like a beaut.....