Author Topic: Maui  (Read 4077 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Maui
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:11:46 AM »
Going to Maui next week for my brother's wedding and I'm just wondering if any of you guys that've been there have any suggestions on what I can get into (food, sights, etc.).

straight

Re: Maui
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
Go to the town Paia if you're arty. If you're into weed you can score some off the guy that works at the hemp store. Go whale watching. The smaller the boat the better the experience will be. Get on the small inflatable boat that the navy seals use. Sorry I don't remember the company name. There's some nice curbs by the aquarium if you wanna skate.  Order a lahaina sunset if you're into cocktails. Bamboo forest. You're going to Maui! Lucky  ;D

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Cool, thanks!  Anything I should avoid?

straight

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:58:02 PM »
Cool, thanks!  Anything I should avoid?

Sea urchins

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
red sand beach in hana is rad. bring goggles and you're in another world! i hated maui when i was there but i'm a negative jerk who likes places like cleveland and detroit. enroute to hana [from paia] are some waterfalls, i usedta work at twin falls but further down [mile marker something or other] there were a few w/ less tourists and shit.
climb coconut trees and don't unscrew one, get up in the fronds and kick a few down at a time. it's strenuous shimmying up them bitches. paia had a park built when i was there [04] but had chains on it. the west side [tourist area] had a park, maybe kihei? there's a nude beach over there too, not as cool as it sounds and they frown on hard ons. i know from experience.
oh, i forgot i usedta go to library in makawao. it's halfway up a 36 mile hill to a volcano [haleakala] i usedta bomb 18 miles back, one of the raddest hills i've ever experienced and it spits you out in paia.

N.L.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
-'The road to Hana' is pretty amazing. Blow holes, waterfalls, fruit that tastes like candy, amazing scenery and vistas.

-Honolua Bay. Even if you don't surf its a stunning location and you might just see one of the best waves on the planet in action, especially in winter. If its calm inside the bay is good snorkeling. I swam with manta rays there, within an hour or so of getting off the plane.

-Big Beach for body surfing.

Plus some really nice looking skateparks, that have been built since I was there.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
Hell yeah!  Thanks guys.  Any kind of food I need to make sure I eat while I'm there?  Looking forward to some fresh seafood...

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39:20 PM »
Hell yeah!  Thanks guys.  Any kind of food I need to make sure I eat while I'm there?  Looking forward to some fresh seafood...
noni will open up yo chakras!
nah, that's what some broad told me and my ex when she swooped up up hitchhiking. i was fortunate enough to have it growing wild on my property [not 'my' property per se]. we'd get the juice which was more like vinegar than sweet juice and supposedly it was chockablock of nutrients. i can't vouch for the veracity of people's new age claims but supposedly it's super healthy for ya. we might have soaked them in brine come to thing, maybe they weren't naturally vinegar-y.
had avocados above my star pod at another location, they'd fall audibly in the night and i'd pick them off the forest floor in the morning. the ones w/ a little bite missing from rats were the best ones, i'd scavenge them because a rat knows which ones are best.
star fruit are neat, passion fruit don't have much to em but for novelty's sake, put some passion fruit in ya mouth.
basically anything you can pick, have at it.
avoid the evil jub jub bird who gires and gimbles in the wabe but above all fear the evil bandersnatch and jabberwocky, my son.
nah, there's nothing poisonous [mildly irritating/painful sea urchins and stinging centipedes] but what shocked the shit outta me was the sugarcane spiders. size of my hand they were and prevalent!
you're gonna dig the place, it's everything you see on tv. mostly fruit is the only foods i tried there and nowheres else. i caught a giant crayfish [didn't eat cause one crawdad a meal does not make] so if you're good at catching them it's an option.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
Fucking stoked

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
New park in lahaina....

If you don't have a ton of free time....don't do road to Hana....takes forever...

straight

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
New park in lahaina....

If you don't have a ton of free time....don't do road to Hana....takes forever...

This. But totally worth it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
Bring food....

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
What Jsoy said. Hit the wal mart (I normally would not support) right by the airport and stock up on food and drinks. The new park in Lahina looks really good too.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 05:47:08 AM »
Did you already go?  How was it?  Heading there myself at the end of April.  Might do the drive myself for the Road to Hana, rather than taking a tour bus.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
there's a super fun little park in Hana.  do not go on a tour bus

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

switchfakienollie

• Rep: 3
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »
Any good ditches on the island?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
Honestly this is one of those places where you should just leave your board at home at take it all in.  No skatepark or ditch is going to compete with the scenery, particularly on the east side (Hana).  Get stoned eat fruit soak it in.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »

cole?
And not sure about Maui, but Oahu has TONS

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »

There's a big ass one right next to the Cannery Mall, sometimes it can be wet in the flat bottom. I'd recommend cruiser wheels for sure. Also keep in mind that the ditch runs under/adjacent to an extremely busy road so you may get hassled or at least oggled at.

Lahaina park is rad if you're staying on the west side, and Pukalani park just opened up upcountry. About an hour away by car but pretty worth it in my opinion. Small obstacles around the perimeter of the park with a really fun sized bowl in the middle. Try and skate early in the morning if you can as the heat/humidity makes shit difficult. Night sessions at Lahaina park get gnarly but the lights stay on until 9.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 08:35:30 PM »
Im going to Maui in June for a wedding then Kauai for a few days and am clueless about Hawaii. Should I bring my board? Are there spots? I like to skate everywhere I go if possible but I can’t skate tranny.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 11:20:23 PM »
Im going to Maui in June for a wedding then Kauai for a few days and am clueless about Hawaii. Should I bring my board? Are there spots? I like to skate everywhere I go if possible but I can’t skate tranny.

There ain't shit to skate in Maui and Kauai expect some poor to mediocre skateparks. If you still want to bring your board to cruise around, make sure you have big soft wheels. Unless you go to Oahu, no real street skating will happen. Just enjoy the paradise and swim in the ocean, it's good for aching bones.

Starm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There ain't shit to skate in Maui and Kauai expect some poor to mediocre skateparks. If you still want to bring your board to cruise around, make sure you have big soft wheels. Unless you go to Oahu, no real street skating will happen. Just enjoy the paradise and swim in the ocean, it's good for aching bones.
This ^ Went there over summer and found that the spots all kinda suck and security is really active it touristy places, got kicked out most of the time. The skateparks are mostly really nice on Maui though.