Author Topic: Austin to Houston to New Orleans  (Read 6681 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Austin to Houston to New Orleans
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
My girlfriend and I are flying to Austin, TX then renting a car and stopping in Houston on the way to NOLA in April. What do y'all recommend for someone who has never been to any of these places? Must eat food. Must do activities. Must skate spots. Must see little towns along the way. Weird shit.

Thanks!
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

4wheels

Re: Austin to Houston to New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
new orleans got this new ledge spot a a park called crescent park. got tons of good ledges and a good wallie thing. and if you dont know parasite park got renovated by converse and its pretty sick

Aatila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
i used to live close to austin and i lived in houston area when i was in college.  Im more familiar with houston spots.  Theres a bunch of parks around north houston all the way to a city called the woodlands.  In that tiny town theres like 8 skateparks. good tranny and street stuff.  Theres the new street plaza they opened in austin that rips.  I would say hit no comply in atx to get familiar.  Cades board shop in the woodlands is pretty good they can direct you to some good parks and backyard pools.  Southside skatepark is a classic.  the EZ-7 ditch is a classic spot(Ave skated it in mindfield along with countless others).  i haven't been back to houston in maybe like 3yrs and before that it was like 4 but when i was there tranquility park rails was still skateable downtown(thats the spot that luis tolentino 50-50d up the rail) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCQXNLHVP8 The music scene is amazing As far as new orleans I'm not too familiar with the city got ripped apart during hurricane katrina and rita when i lived there and was pretty much underwater.  I only got to see it when it was destroyed and they sent volunteers from my school to help.humidity boardshop is a really good shop if you need a spot guide.  If your into rap Curren$y has the jet lounge at house of blues on Wednesdays theres a lot of good creole and soul food spots around french quarter. I know theres someone on slap that knows way more but thats all i can think of off the top of my head.  I hope this helps.  it would've been cool if you went in march because of sxsw but you'll have lots of fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:03:43 PM by Aatila »

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »
get drunk on state st in baton rouge. just post up outside circle K and meet people, it's fresh. highland coffee around the corner at chimes st is nice too, cute barista girls. downtown ya got centroplex [heath's death defying lipslide to bang your motherfucking head, bang your head] catfish banks, that brick wallride that grimcity kills and fred gall dropped in on.
cop crack in the bottoms while bumping lil boosie on the radio. instant props.
john lefitte swamps outside of NOLA is neat for looking at nature [alligators]. they actually have 2 albino alligators inside behind glass but you can observe free lizards along the paths.
austin, you're gonna wanna see the daniel johnston frog off 'the drag' aka guadalupe. there's a vegan place on that st which is pretty dope. skate spots abound but i can't give directions.
outside of houston i spent a few days in Katy, TX. skated a little indoor park called maybe ABC? i don't recall but the owner kicked me a shirt cause i was hitching through town. it wasn't the best park ever but dude was chill and i think it was only $5.
don't fall asleep in mount belvieu at a gas station w/ a dead coon for a pillow. you will get 5 days for PI [public intox] but hopefully not 'cruely to animals'.
NOLA's got spots, hubbas in the quarter, pancake gaps and i know some other spots but i can only take you there, not give proper directions. oh, by ms mack's bar on magazine there's flatbars atop a small bank. i usedta ollie from flat, 50-50 into the bank w/ my back wheels. it's a really small bank but prolly look dope on video.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
House Park in Austin is the best skate park in the world. Right around the corner is No Comply, so if you feel like skating spots they'll help you out.  There are a ton of spots in Austin. But really, House Park has pretty much everything you'd really want to skate anyways, except pool coping. If you want that, go down to Lockhart. It's a cool small town about 20 min south of Austin that has a tranny oriented park that can be pretty gnarly. If it's a weekend there will more than likely be a full old dude/shredder session going on. 

Austin has really stepped up its BBQ game in the last couple years, so chow down on that while you're here. Micklethwait, La Barbecue, and Franklin are probably the best BBQ you will ever have. La Barbecue has free beer while you wait too, until the keg runs out.  Franklin is really the best, but if it's a weekend, you really have to be there by 8am to secure your spot in line and guarantee you will actually get to eat before they sell out at 1pm. It isn't a bunch of yuppies waiting, that's how you know it's good. You can drink while you wait, so you can kill a morning doing that.
If you're a vegetarian, I can't help you. The Whole Foods flagship store is downtown, so there's that.

If it's hot out (there's really no telling in Texas until May, then it's just scorching all the time) you can go to Barton Springs, which is an amazing pool made from a natural spring. You can also rent canoes and go out on the lake that runs right along downtown.

If it's raining, go take a tour of the Capitol. Or do it regardless, it's awesome.

Not much in between Austin and Houston. In Houston is the new Spring skate park. It's the biggest in the country, which is honestly a little overwhelming, and helmets are required. Don't know much to do in Houston, but NASA is just outside and is pretty cool.

Hope that helps a bit with Austin at least.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:58:48 AM »
Micklethwait is the best bbq in the city limits.Also. go see the Turell Exhibit at UT. its goregous. if your going to skate lockhart (recommended) i suggest getting bbq in lockhart too ( i usually do blacks) San Marcos has a great park. Smithville does too CEDAR PARK has one of the best parks around. Seriously though. on the way to houston. look out for valero gas stations. some of them have these weird ass pyramid bank things near the gas pumps that are fun to skate.

pootysnacks

• Rep: -8
  • HI
    • SATANSWEINER avatar image
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
i thought cedar park skatepark was horseshit. but also when i went i thought it was a school day but i guess they were on break so there was a ton of scooter kids. pflugerville park is fuckin tight tho

Grampa

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Cedar Park is fun if there are 10 people there, max. The bowls are really nice. There are always a ton of scooter kids since it's in the suburbs. I've always thought Pflugerville looks like a lot more fun than it actually is.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
In austin, Hit south congress, there's a ton a badass restaraunts (home slice, hoppody, pearlas, robot girl...). If you got cash, uchi is amazing. If you jog, town lake is an awesome jog and you can rent canoes if you want to get on the lake. For great view there oasis or iguana on lake Travis. Believe it or not, walking around the capital is awesome and free. If you go check out the new underground parts.

Houston pretty lame except for food. Coco's (dive) and Genza (expensive) are amazing for sush.

If you want to stop in Lafayette on the way to New Orleans, Dinos pizza is amazing and unique.

In New Orleans, poboys are a must at the grocery stores in the quarter.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
Thank you Sleazy and Grampa and a few others for recognizing the importance of NON-SKATEBOARDING things to do when traveling with your significant other.

Thank you to everyone else for skate tips, but I'm not gonna be going to a random texan suburb to hit any mediocre skateparks. I am bringing my board though and will try to hit a few EPIC SPOTS.

BBQ recommendations are nice. Im surprised Austin has that going on more than Houston. Or maybe more folks on here have just spent more time in Austin.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:28 AM »
Perfect timing!

Any more tips for a fat Brit also doing Austin via Dallas, San Antonio and a bit of the gulf coast?
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

Grampa

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
What time of the year?

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »
In two weeks time, starting in Dallas then ending in Austin for a bit of sxsw fun
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

pootysnacks

• Rep: -8
  • HI
    • SATANSWEINER avatar image
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
if ur coming here for sxsw u definitely gott ahit up the mcdonalds showcase brah

Grampa

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
Am looking forward to that. Also, they will have a food trailer because it's just so Austin.

If you're going to be here for SXSW, just do everything that's been mentioned already, but with roughly 100,000 of your closest friends doing it at the same time.

Last year we had a good old fashioned police chase turned pedestrian mow down massacre, so this year I'm holding out for either a classic, old school mass shooting (this is America, after all), or a slightly more updated, culturally relevant terrorist attack. No word yet on who is playing the ISIS showcase.