Author Topic: Bitter Woman Writes Worst Article on Skating Ever  (Read 6673 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Bitter Woman Writes Worst Article on Skating Ever
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"You rarely see these women featured in skateboard magazines, and when you do, the highest praise is typically "She skates like a man!"
I challenge the author to find one time this has ever been said in a magazine or publication or in real life anywhere.
[close]

I think for about 95% of the times I've seen a female skater in my life, someone in my immediate vicinity has brought up the idea of whether she's hot, who of their friends is going to bang her first, and in the case of sponsored girls, insistence they could beat her in skate/do that trick/blah blah.

[close]

I've had guys (mostly teenage boys a decade younger than me) openly discuss my body or whether or not they'd "bang" me. Right within ear shot. It's incredibly awkward.

But the biggest issue facing female skateboarding is other females. I've gotten a plethora of negative reactions and mocked by random women on the street way more than any of my male skate pals. Lesbians on the other hand love me, I'd be swimming in snatch if only I was down with the beaver.  :-*

Your last sentence made me simultaneously giggle and retch. You're the best Tay.

Tay

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"You rarely see these women featured in skateboard magazines, and when you do, the highest praise is typically "She skates like a man!"
I challenge the author to find one time this has ever been said in a magazine or publication or in real life anywhere.
[close]

I think for about 95% of the times I've seen a female skater in my life, someone in my immediate vicinity has brought up the idea of whether she's hot, who of their friends is going to bang her first, and in the case of sponsored girls, insistence they could beat her in skate/do that trick/blah blah.

[close]

I've had guys (mostly teenage boys a decade younger than me) openly discuss my body or whether or not they'd "bang" me. Right within ear shot. It's incredibly awkward.

But the biggest issue facing female skateboarding is other females. I've gotten a plethora of negative reactions and mocked by random women on the street way more than any of my male skate pals. Lesbians on the other hand love me, I'd be swimming in snatch if only I was down with the beaver.  :-*

[close]

Your last sentence made me simultaneously giggle and retch. You're the best Tay.

You're the person who inspired me to start skating again when I was lurking this forum two years ago. You motivated me to get out there, instead of being a depressed shut-in. I love you Gay. <3!

straight

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
Tay on gay axion

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
You're implying that the majority of the skate community is not supportive/hyped on the female skate community, which simply isn't true in my experience. People on here are complaining because the author, with her jaded, out of touch views of the skate industry, honestly expects skateboarding to spend it's money marketing to a minuscule demographic and creating some psychological urge for females to pick up skating as a hobby. Has it ever occured to you that some segments of the population just aren't interested in certain things? It's not the industry's problem to figure out why.

Think of it like a small SLAP-approved company/pro/shoe/etc. The board is overwhelmed with people who are "backing it," or would "buy a ____ pro model," and whatnot. Catalogs come out and they say "cool graphics," then nobody buys them. By some weird stroke of luck, a big company names a perma-am pro and nobody buys his board. Similar thing. People say, "yeah cool girl skaters," but don't do anything to minimize those barriers of entry. Emotional support amounts to nothing if you don't do anything about it.

BTdubz I don't know what planet you guys are on where you don't see sexist shit left and right in skateboarding all the time. Including this thread.

Sorry to derail things. Yes the article is still pretty dumb. Mofo's comment on it if you scroll past the article is worth a read, if you haven't seen it yet.

dillanharp

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »
Think of it like a small SLAP-approved company/pro/shoe/etc. The board is overwhelmed with people who are "backing it," or would "buy a ____ pro model," and whatnot. Catalogs come out and they say "cool graphics," then nobody buys them. By some weird stroke of luck, a big company names a perma-am pro and nobody buys his board. Similar thing. People say, "yeah cool girl skaters," but don't do anything to minimize those barriers of entry. Emotional support amounts to nothing if you don't do anything about it.

BTdubz I don't know what planet you guys are on where you don't see sexist shit left and right in skateboarding all the time. Including this thread.

Sorry to derail things. Yes the article is still pretty dumb. Mofo's comment on it if you scroll past the article is worth a read, if you haven't seen it yet.
Other than be supportive, what are we supposed to do? We can't get kids to stop using gay in a derogative way and calling each other faggots. Shit every skatepark in the states now has a group of white kids calling themselves niggas now, can you imagine how hard it'll be to get some 14 year old to not say he'd bone Tay outloud???

abudabi

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »
bobby peru, you arent asking people to change their buying habits right?
i dont see any way to help girls skate other than being cool if you end up skating with them.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »
Other than be supportive, what are we supposed to do?

You didn't see the agreement you signed to on slap when you made a account? If you didn't plan to use your slap status to change the world then get the fuck out.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
Oh yeah it's a hell of a road to get there. No argument there. As far as small simple solutions go, stop being a dick and speak up against people being dicks, sponsor/cover girl skaters more.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Way too many "I'm not a sexist, but..." type posts in this thread.
[close]
...no. this article was written very poorly and not much critical thinking went into it. a lot of people have made good points here.

edit: pretty hilarious that 3 people now have claimed that this thread is mainly full of misogynistic comments. i just read through every post carefully, and this is definitely not the case.
I hear you. The first page was pretty lame and didn't give any indication that it was going to get better. Page 2 however, was more balanced.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

southsecond

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2015, 06:14:49 PM »
There are two aspects to this thing, which I guess you could refer to as the personal and the political. With "personal," I mean that we, as dudes, could all encourage more girls/women/womyn to skate and be supportive when they're at the session/park/whatever, and do our best to not objectify them and simply treat them as another skateboarder enjoying the thing that us dudes enjoy. That's the easier part (getting a million skatepark idiots to stop saying "faggot," "gay," or "nigger" is another story).

The more difficult thing is to address the "political" aspect of inequality in skateboarding, and to be fair I'm not even sure there IS a way to address this. Sure, really, truly, exceptionally talented lady skaters will appear from time to time (and, to be honest, maybe more so now than at any time since the 70s) and get the coverage they deserve; I'm thinking Elissa, Jaime Reyes, Nora and Lizzie, Laeticia Bufoni, Amy Caron, Vanessa Torres, and those little girls that Tony Mag hangs out with who can do 540s. But they really are the anomaly as far as "talent" goes. This might come off as misogynist, but I what I mean is that there is an objective disparity in the talent pool between male and female in very many physical activities. I dare you to dispute this. It's not fair, it's not cool, but gender dimorphism is real and the fact remains that, on average, dudes will be more physically capable (on AVERAGE, not always) than ladies. And if skateboard magazines want to highlight the best skateboarding that's going on in the world, the majority of the time it will be done by dudes. Women are of course capable of ripping and of getting well deserved coverage, but when someone demands diversity in coverage in skate mags (or for that matter wonders why more female skateboarders aren't being heralded in Rodney's TED talk as "innovators") just to ensure that both genders are represented more equitably, then you've got an affirmative action scenario on your hands, which makes things even stickier.

I doubt there's an easy solution to this, but I skate with several ladies and they're fucking awesome human beings who genuinely love skating every bit as much as I do and I see them as skaters/friends more than as ladies. Although they'd probably be the first ones to admit, objectively, that they're not quite as good as the dudes. Fuck it. Shut up and skate.

Also, I like boobs.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:19:02 PM by SouthSecondSquat »

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
Mofo's comment on it if you scroll past the article is worth a read, if you haven't seen it yet.

I just got sucked into reading the comment section for a good hour. Not worth it. I did get some good material for the Libtard thread though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:22:06 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
that part is incredible ^

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44TIA0Dlvk#]Marisa Dal Santo - Zero Strange World HD[/url]
Damn Marisa was super good, one of the coolest ones in Strange World. Any idea whatever happened to her? She just kinda seemed to fade out without any notice. Her and Elissa both kill it

abudabi

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
she was tight, everyone was tripping on that part when strange world came out.
i think shewas on LE flow for a bit but not 100 percent sure

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »
The only good thing about this article is that it led me to this image...

ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 04:04:31 AM »
You should read the article that her opinion piece is a reply to. It is good.

"When doctors declared themselves stymied by his injury, Mullen elected to engage in a painful form of self-treatment: He pummeled his leg with wrenches and knife handles in an attempt to break up the scar tissue that was strangling his bones. The process was so agonizing that Mullen often had to drive out to remote areas so that no one could hear his screams. He kept at it because it yielded results, albeit slowly—Mullen knew that it would take him several years to get back to full health."

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/rodney-mullen/

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Wait, isn't there an entire youtube channel full of girl skateboarders?
[close]
yeah but if there were a 'boys skate network' then it'd be racist, right? yo, reverse discrimination.
but in sorta seriousness, there's some feminists who don't accept tranny broads as legit women. someone get nora vasco on the horn and see where the GSN draws the line. can mizzark be on their videos or do you hafta feel, do you hafta feel like a na-tu-ral woman?

Can we not say "tranny broads"? Thanks.