Author Topic: iceland air and carry on skateboards  (Read 4115 times)

cool spot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
iceland air and carry on skateboards
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
Anyone have any experience with skate trips via iceland air? obviously, I'd rather not check my board + spare deck.

Usually I'm pretty confident about domestic travel in the US carrying on a skateboard, but I've had some varying experiences internationally.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
Re: iceland air and carry on skateboards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
i packed my trucks and carried on 2 decks along with my normal carry on stuff. no problems. i usually just bring my board set up, and keep a tool ready in case they are dicks.

icelandair was great though. good service, hot flight attendants, tons of movies to choose from right at your seat. enjoy. check out lebowski bar in reykjavik and get one of the icelandic hot dogs and try Brennavin (sp?), their shitty liqour

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:06 PM »
I had a lady at the desk on the way back from Paris say that they weren't allowed in carry on, but I explained to her that they let me put it in the overhead on the way there and she let me through.  I'm pretty sure unless you were to run into someone really insistent on refusing to back down you'll be fine.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
First off - definitely take advantage of their free stopover in Reykjavik for up to 7 days.

Taking your board as carry on is fine 99% of the time. The only airline that's every made me check mine was British Airways. Some budget airlines may try to shaft you with a "sports equipment" fee that's listed but I've never actually had that happen to me. Best bet is always taking the trucks off and putting them in your bag. 

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
First off - definitely take advantage of their free stopover in Reykjavik for up to 7 days.

Taking your board as carry on is fine 99% of the time. The only airline that's every made me check mine was British Airways. Some budget airlines may try to shaft you with a "sports equipment" fee that's listed but I've never actually had that happen to me. Best bet is always taking the trucks off and putting them in your bag. 

The what now?

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »
Iceland Air allows you to stop in Iceland for 7 days at a moments notice with no change of airfare or penalty.

Senrud

• Twatter avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
Iceland Air allows you to stop in Iceland for 7 days at a moments notice with no change of airfare or penalty.

So say if I was going to Norway or.. wherever on Iceland Air, I could just go frolicking in Iceland then hop back on the flight a week later and continue on my way?

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So say if I was going to Norway or.. wherever on Iceland Air, I could just go frolicking in Iceland then hop back on the flight a week later and continue on my way?

Precisely

Senrud

• Twatter avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Precisely

That rules. Thank you for enlightening me.

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
I had a lady at the desk on the way back from Paris say that they weren't allowed in carry on, but I explained to her that they let me put it in the overhead on the way there and she let me through.  I'm pretty sure unless you were to run into someone really insistent on refusing to back down you'll be fine.

Same thing happened with me from London - I just said I've done this a bunch before and they were cool with it