Author Topic: neiratko frowns on lennie kirk  (Read 10508 times)

shark tits

neiratko frowns on lennie kirk
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
[the person not the skater]
i'm looking forward to this book. apparently lennie kidnapped his last gf and that's why he's back in prison. good to get the story, asides the shotgun robbery you just heard he was in trouble again, never why.
http://www.vice.com/read/lennie-kirk-and-the-insane-side-of-skateboarding-381

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: neiratko frowns on lennie kirk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »
I'm glad that this article was written because I've always been confused about the legend-like status thrown at him.  Sure his timecode part was sick (and ironic, as he took all the preaching seriously and it really makes him look nuts)... but a bible thumping wanna-be gangster with cornrows who robbed old ladies at gunpoint kinda negates his skateboard skills.  For me anyways.

He actually converted one of my older skate buddies back in the day... he was always a little nuts anyways (he by far did the most drugs out of all of us) so we weren't surprised when he came back from SF and told us the story.  Fuck this guy. 

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »
I'm glad that this article was written because I've always been confused about the legend-like status thrown at him.  Sure his timecode part was sick (and ironic, as he took all the preaching seriously and it really makes him look nuts)... but a bible thumping wanna-be gangster with cornrows who robbed old ladies at gunpoint kinda negates his skateboard skills.  For me anyways.

He actually converted one of my older skate buddies back in the day... he was always a little nuts anyways (he by far did the most drugs out of all of us) so we weren't surprised when he came back from SF and told us the story.  Fuck this guy. 

I would never call him a legend. I think people just find his story interesting.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
This just shows how fucking bad getting hit in the head can be as well as how bad mental illness can fuck people up. It's totally possible that one day he'll realize how fucked he's become but you can never depend on that happening.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm glad that this article was written because I've always been confused about the legend-like status thrown at him.� Sure his timecode part was sick (and ironic, as he took all the preaching seriously and it really makes him look nuts)... but a bible thumping wanna-be gangster with cornrows who robbed old ladies at gunpoint kinda negates his skateboard skills.� For me anyways.

He actually converted one of my older skate buddies back in the day... he was always a little nuts anyways (he by far did the most drugs out of all of us) so we weren't surprised when he came back from SF and told us the story.� Fuck this guy.�

[close]

I would never call him a legend. I think people just find his story interesting.
he might could be a legend, you can separate his skating from his kidnapping/armed robbery. i think he's more interesting for being a buck nutty christian who subsists offa felonies but it was that timecode part that endeared him to us in the first place. or made us scared of him but interested from a distance.
ethan fowler was watching him bang his head off the dumpster and goes 'i think it knocked some things loose'. funny to think we're only a dumpster slam away from hardcore dummy behavior. is that all it takes?

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:14 PM »
waiving his Bible

I thought Nieratko wielded the English language better than that

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
His skating sort of matched his out of control insane personality. In regards to whether he's a legend that is subjective but by my personal opinion is that he is. He only really had one really stand out part, but it was the ender in a classic video and was probably the best part of that year. The fact he sort of had one crazy part and was done sort of adds to his mystique (similar to Trainwreck, who had the ender in a video stacked with guys who many would define as legends but disappeared due to injuries.)

Also want to add though, a lot of the shit he's done is beyond despicable, but its quite clear he is extremely mentally ill (lots of schitzophrenics believe they are prophets or actively talk to god) and hopefully is receiving adequate treatment but I really doubt it.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:07:07 PM by DannyDee »

DirtMaKirk

• Rep: -195
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
There's only one Kirk and it's not jack or this guy.💯

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:06 PM »
Dollar-sign rims!!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »
Captain Kirk?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:02 PM »
Someone posted this in the comment section of the article, but it's so good i feel it warrants reposting here..

Skip to around 4:00
Skateboarder Josh Kalis 5 of 7 - Epicly Later'd - VICE

This might be my favorite segment ever in Epicly Later'd. Dyrdek's stories are gold.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Captain Kirk?
kirk cameron?

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Captain Kirk?
[close]
kirk cameron?

Kirk Cameron and Lennie Kirk would really hit it off.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »
cant believe people are questioning lennie kirks legend status

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:24:02 AM »
"He calls Dyrdek and Rob goes and picks him up and takes him to his place. Lennie and his girl go for a walk and when they come back the girl has a big shiner. Rob was like, "Dude! What the fuck is going on? What did you do to her?" Lennie says, "She was acting up and God's will, I hit her with the Bible."

Had to say this made me chuckle... As you sow,  so shall you reap, I guess.Crazy fucker!

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
That was a good read but also depressing.

If he was bleeding out of his ears after that dumpster slam dude's got brain damage for sure.
Reminds me of that snowboard docu, The Crash Reel

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:49:58 AM »
Someone posted this in the comment section of the article, but it's so good i feel it warrants reposting here..

Skip to around 4:00
Skateboarder Josh Kalis 5 of 7 - Epicly Later'd - VICE

This might be my favorite segment ever in Epicly Later'd. Dyrdek's stories are gold.

one of the craziest there is/ ever will be. so many random fucked up stories. another two (interviews) here that i'd never seen;

Lenny Kirk Interview - Part 1 on Vimeo

Lenny Kirk Interview - Part 2 on Vimeo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:05:33 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 04:26:23 AM »
In that entire interview, this part is the biggest bummer...

When he got back to SF that's when he started getting in trouble. He ended up having a kid with that girl. They were living in a car for a little while, she ended up getting a restraining order on him

Being born to parents Lennie Kirk and "random girl" that were living out of a car...I can't imagine that child had much of a chance in life. Maybe Dennis McGrath could put some of his project's proceeds in the kid's pocket instead of Lennie's.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
the article was ok but it s always rad seeing that timecode part.  who cares whether you or c nerintko thinks lennie is "legend status"  ha ha    c nierenkos shiddy opinion belongs in shiddy vice mag.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »

Expand Quote
When he got back to SF that's when he started getting in trouble. He ended up having a kid with that girl. They were living in a car for a little while, she ended up getting a restraining order on him
[close]

Being born to parents Lennie Kirk and "random girl" that were living out of a car...I can't imagine that child had much of a chance in life. Maybe Dennis McGrath could put some of his project's proceeds in the kid's pocket instead of Lennie's.

Right?  I completely forgot that there's a kid involved in all this.

Like McGrath said, Lennie's too far gone and institutionalized at this point.   Along with his mental instability, I don't really see him lasting too long amongst society before getting locked up again.  I'd like to have hope, but I'm a realist.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 09:58:44 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

this is spot on. 

There's too many fucked up things in this story for me to give him any kind of praise...  certain 'legendary' pros get shit on daily on this site for much smaller infractions.

The thought of him pulling out a bb gun and pointing it sideways like O-Dog at a bunch of Marine's makes me chuckle, however.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

this a thousand times over. i can't see how putting money into lennie's hands at this point would do anything but enable him. help the kid out instead.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
^ you never know if whomever he had that kid with is even stable in her own right, you know?  Who's to say the kid will even see the money?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
^ you never know if whomever he had that kid with is even stable in her own right, you know?  Who's to say the kid will even see the money?
she can't be worse than him. and put it in a trust for the kid until he turns 18.

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Who's to say the stupid person kid is stable in his own dumbass right?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »
since we don't know anything about the kid let's label him a person and unstable and opt to not give him the any money. makes a lot of sense.

shark tits

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »
euthanize the kid for the good of society. if it happens it's like god's will and shit.
am i the only one disappointed in lennie's demeanor and physical changes in the kalis interviews? i want people to remain the same like joaquim cardona and fred gall. granted they're a bit heavier than they usedta be but they're the same cocky and lovable gentleman respectively.
i liked the bit of unseen [to me anyways] footage of leonard dropping in on handrails and bs flipping gaps and such w/ kalis's voice over. in the same way 'deer man of dark woods' always has the mask i could get into LK always dropping bible talk behind a distorted image and maybe his interviews are to be read and not heard? i'm wicked interested but his goofy, lanky white boy w/ a stutter belies some of the gnarliness he's capable of. the dichotomy would play better if he was more nerdy or likeable perhaps.
whatever, if anyone has secret LK footage they're sitting on, this thread would be a good place to add to the anals of skate history.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this is spot on. 

DirtMaKirk

• Rep: -195
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
Hey ISMOBATT nice gif quote it's about me.. That's awesome. I'm comfortable with myself and my place in the world that's forsure!😎

shark tits

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
you're welcome dirtmakirk. i thought it was funny, no hard feelings. what's up w/ kappa kappa chino fraternity these days? do you feel a kinship w/ lennie kirk? how about charlie zelenoff? do you ever watch bates motel and fantasize about skating the hubbas in front of the bates motel? what trick would you do?