Author Topic: How long do you give it?  (Read 4213 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
How long do you give it?
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »
New board, normal width, length, concave. Same press that I like. Skated it 4 times but can't seem to get to grips with it at all.

It has a long flat section before the tail meets the truck, making the kick vey mellow. Polar board, which I have had 2/3 of and liked a lot.

How long do you guys give a board? I feel like I should battle on but...

Give it to a kid at the park. Focus in a rage or suck it up and ride it out?

Feels like the weight is wrong or that could just be me/mine!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: How long do you give it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:46 AM »
I am A baby when it comes to boards feeling off , awkward, too steep, too long a wheelbase, soggy etc.
I try to minimize these events now by sticking within certain dimensions and usually I have good luck but have taken a board apart after an hour if it just feels terrible.
Some kid at the park or a friend might need a board more than my spoiled ass.
I hate being that way but I've tried suffering with a board for 2 weeks and just never getting used to it.

coneklr

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »
For as long as I've been buying my own boards, I give them a session.  Most of the time they never really bother me, even if they are a little off, but there have been a few I couldn't stand and just took apart and gave away after an hour or two

N.L.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
I punish myself by forcing myself to ride a dud deck. Try different tricks. Sometimes, a different feeling deck will bring out something new in your skateboarding. Try board-breaking tricks that you normally wouldn't want to risk on a new board. (Lipslides on ledges for me). Never focus a board. Same with all skateboard gear. Right now I have some wheels I really don't like. So I'm doing my best to wear the crap out of them asap, so I can get back on F4s.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »
I punish myself by forcing myself to ride a dud deck. Try different tricks. Sometimes, a different feeling deck will bring out something new in your skateboarding. Try board-breaking tricks that you normally wouldn't want to risk on a new board. (Lipslides on ledges for me). Never focus a board. Same with all skateboard gear. Right now I have some wheels I really don't like. So I'm doing my best to wear the crap out of them asap, so I can get back on F4s.

Same here. I pretty much only make sure that buy an 8.5 board, concave and length dont really matter to me. I dont really have a local shop anymore, so only option to get a deck is to buy online. Obviously, sometimes I get something I dont like that much, but after a while  , I get used to anything. I only retired one board because it was way too flat. It was a Foundation team deck, the flatest shit I have ever seen. After a while, I regripped it with a fresh sheet, and just skated it anyway and it ended up being probably the longest lasting board, except a P2, I have ever had.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »
This will sound wierd but it feels like it isn't weighted right. The pop is too fast and then it flips wierd. No idea if it will go premo or just fly away. I'm struggling to kickflip it...

May well just be me! Strangely I like the nose... May be it was at the bottom of a pile of pressed boards and ended up off.  Strange.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
Ride that shit out, you'll get used to it.  

I've definitely had boards I wasn't super into but they still skated.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

BMCsteve

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »
That flat section after the rear truck bolts and a mellow tail will cause your board to flip a lot faster.  Basically your tail is hitting the pavement quicker and your muscle memory flicks the board right after your tail hits.

It's not a big deal once you get used to it.  You might even end up preferring it.  Before you toss this board, try messing around with some manual tricks.  That bit of flat and a mellow tail will give you more control which is a nice benefit

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Back when I had legs that worked I'd just skate something big if I didn't like the board. Best case you land it and feel better about the board, worst case you destroy it skating a set and go get a new one you actually like.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
While I wish it worked that way for me, sometimes my skate time is minimal and wasting A full day/week being miserable on A board that doesn't work for me anymore.
Sure when I was younger and had all the time in the world and no money I could make anything work.
At 41 when my body feels good and I have A sunny day, I don't want it to be ruined by my sub par choice.
Hence why I spend so much time picking the right board now.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Decks are the only thing about my set up (including shoes) that I'm not super picky about. It might be because I ride shaped boards, so I'm used to switching it up every few weeks. I can go from an 8.25 to an 8.7 and get used to it in a session or two, I don't even bother checking the other dimensions.
damn those yarys bout those squats

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »
I give it a session, if it doesn't work I take it apart and either sell it or give it away or keep it on hand just in case I get the urge to swap out gear.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
I try to minimize these events by sticking within certain dimensions

"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
It has a long flat section before the tail meets the truck, making the kick vey mellow. Polar board, which I have had 2/3 of and liked a lot.
I hate when I get a board like that. I can't stand when my tail hits the ground too fast. It just feels weird to me, almost like I'm skating a deck with an already cracked tail or something. The more flat area in between the the tail and the trucks, the faster the tail hits the ground on tricks. I always make sure the deck doesn't have too much flat area in between.
Usually I'll give a board two sessions, and if I don't dig it after two sessions, I have no problem switching it out. If it doesn't feel right, then I don't wanna waste my time trying to get used to it and deal with the frustrations that come with it when I could just get a shape that I actually like and that works for me.
Luckily, after all these years I've figured out the shapes that work for me, so I pick up less duds these days. Still though, sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't inspect thoroughly enough and accidentally pick up a board that doesn't work out, so it still happens.
My ideal board: 8.5, medium concave that's not too mellow or steep, a tail with a more delayed pop (as mentioned above), and a round nose and tail (can't stand squareish noses or tails).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:43:14 PM by Noble Experiment »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
t might be because I ride shaped boards

I've found this to be pretty accurate, i've had a few different 8.25 shapes and going back and forth between them wasn't that big a deal
Having said that though, i went from ps stix to nhs wood once and within the hour i set up a new ps stix
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:19:17 PM by Paco Supreme »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »

I've definitely had boards I wasn't super into but they still skated.

Yeah, I know. The voice in my head says this. I have skated it 3 times though and can barely do a flip on it...Stop being a pussy, I know...

Expand Quote
[close]
While I wish it worked that way for me, sometimes my skate time is minimal and wasting A full day/week being miserable on A board that doesn't work for me anymore.
Sure when I was younger and had all the time in the world and no money I could make anything work.
At 41 when my body feels good and I have A sunny day, I don't want it to be ruined by my sub par choice.
Hence why I spend so much time picking the right board now.

The other voice in my head says this. However, I just order a couple of boards at a time at the moment. I live too far away from a shop to justify spending half a day going to choose a deck...

That flat section after the rear truck bolts and a mellow tail will cause your board to flip a lot faster.  Basically your tail is hitting the pavement quicker and your muscle memory flicks the board right after your tail hits.

It's not a big deal once you get used to it.  You might even end up preferring it.  Before you toss this board, try messing around with some manual tricks.  That bit of flat and a mellow tail will give you more control which is a nice benefit

I know this is true too. But it isn't just the pop, it seems like it just floats away from my feet! Also, I ride mainly Krooked and a few Polar here and there. All 8.0 to 8.125 and 31.5 to 32. Mainly because they both seem to have a mellow press, In terms of steepness and concave and their shapes are pretty consistent.

I have a new deck waiting to set up (Its an 8.125 Polar). I'll give it this weekend and if I'm still not enjoying it, give it to a kid if they are skating a log at the park.

Hate the waste of it though. When I was younger, I couldn't afford to buy more than a board for a month or two. I feel like now I'm old, I've become more frivolous. Buying boards and shoes and then getting picky.

Murray is probably right. Suck it up!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:24:04 PM by 360 frip »

coneklr

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
If you have the money, get rid of it.  Seriously, there is no need to ride one you don't like if you don't have to.  I rarely get one that feels that off, but when I do you bet the kid at the park with the best attitude/shittiest board is going home with a new deck that day.  Then you get to feel good about hooking up a kid and being able to get a board you like.  Win win

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
If you have the money, get rid of it.  Seriously, there is no need to ride one you don't like if you don't have to.  I rarely get one that feels that off, but when I do you bet the kid at the park with the best attitude/shittiest board is going home with a new deck that day.  Then you get to feel good about hooking up a kid and being able to get a board you like.  Win win

Yeah, I may well do that this weekend. Try and skate it Saturday. I don't overly hate the shape, just really struggling. Probably 99% in my stupid brain. This rarely happens to me though. Once every couple of years perhaps...Strange though. Kickflips just seem to float off.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:15 AM »
Isn't that flat section the thing that Paul Schmitt was going on about making boards more responsive?

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 06:18:17 AM »
When i get a board that feels off, i focus on different tricks. When i have a board that doesn't kickflip good, it always does shove-it tricks good. I kind of look at with the PMA. Instead of focusing on what doesn't work, focus on what works. :)

I don't know if you a wheel changer type of person, but sometimes when a tail is off; try some different wheels it will change the height and thus change the bevel of the tail. i.e. more responsive or less responsive.

Or just focus it and quit skating altogether and develop a crack problem. A lot of pros do it, so at least try to find a dealer just in case.

Good luck with the upcoming life of despair duder and have a wonderful day!  :) :) :) :) :)

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
When i get a board that feels off, i focus on different tricks. When i have a board that doesn't kickflip good, it always does shove-it tricks good. I kind of look at with the PMA. Instead of focusing on what doesn't work, focus on what works. :)

I don't know if you a wheel changer type of person, but sometimes when a tail is off; try some different wheels it will change the height and thus change the bevel of the tail. i.e. more responsive or less responsive.

Or just focus it and quit skating altogether and develop a crack problem. A lot of pros do it, so at least try to find a dealer just in case.

Good luck with the upcoming life of despair duder and have a wonderful day!  :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks changed the wheels already. Skip the crack. Not trying to be Pookie.

Is PMA a support group?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
im not one to force myself to skate decks that just aren't working for me.  so, I usually give it a session or two.

more often than not I run into this problem when I try something other than PS Stix (which I haven't skated since AWS went down) or Generator/Bareback (Magenta most often, Polar next, Real whenever there's a Busenitz in 8.25).  
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »
Isn't that flat section the thing that Paul Schmitt was going on about making boards more responsive?

yup.

Finesse vs power

Size and Graphics Aside, Popsicle Decks Are All the Same
The Professor’s Perspective: False

Just because all the boards on the skateshop wall look the same doesn’t mean they’ll ride the same. Popsicles, even those of identical size and materials, are not all created equal.

“Since the [Popsicle] shape became standard in the 90s, I’ve probably made 700 different Popsicles. They’ve all been a little different. The thing that makes the largest difference in how a board rides doesn’t have anything to do with the shape—it’s about the mold used and ultimately the leverage.”

There’s no simple measurement for leverage, and truck and wheel choice also play a role, but Schmitt has a simple method for judging the relative amount of leverage in the deck itself. He calls it the finger test.

“How many ‘fingers’ of flat are between the bolt holes and the place where the tail and nose kick up”—in other words, the number of fingers you can fit in those spaces—“will absolutely make the biggest difference in how your board feels,” he says.

THE FINGER TEST. PHOTO BY PAUL SCHMITT
That test so important because, all other factors being equal, it’s leverage that controls the balance between power and finesse in your setup. The more fingers of flat there are in a deck, the more control you’ll have. Fewer fingers, by contrast, means more power channeled into your pop, but less finesse. Because of this, identically shaped and sized boards can have radically different amounts of leverage depending on mold design, nose and tail lengths, and how they’re drilled.

“Muscles store energy, so the longer it takes your tail to hit the ground, the more energy is going to be released in your ollie and the more power you are going to have,” Schmitt says. “If you’re releasing all your energy in the ollie, you don’t have the energy to do the next part of the trick, whether it’s flipping your board or locking into a crooked grind.” 

Different skaters, of course, have different needs when it comes to leverage. “If you’re an established pro, you have the skill to get power when you need it, so your primary worry is about finesse. But if you are just starting out, you need power. Having the finesse to do a manual doesn’t do any good if you can’t ollie up on the manual pad to do one”.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Till it becomes unbearable. If you're in a pinch then maybe a couple days to a week but I'll be hitting up my friends for a used deck.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
If you're good enough at skateboarding, you can make whatever shape work for you.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
Having a similar issue right now too, just got a new deck, kinda wishing I had gotten something bigger. But Mark Gonzales said something like, you can skate with anything if you really want to.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Fukd

• Rep: -45
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
Currently have a new deck and new shoes - everything is off. I haven't skated a leather shoe in years, so that might be my main issue, but nothing seems to work. Pop seems to have entirely disappeared, in both ollies and flip tricks, and flip tricks send my board flying out of control.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yup.

Finesse vs power

Size and Graphics Aside, Popsicle Decks Are All the Same
The Professor�s Perspective: False

Just because all the boards on the skateshop wall look the same doesn�t mean they�ll ride the same. Popsicles, even those of identical size and materials, are not all created equal.

�Since the [Popsicle] shape became standard in the 90s, I�ve probably made 700 different Popsicles. They�ve all been a little different. The thing that makes the largest difference in how a board rides doesn�t have anything to do with the shape�it�s about the mold used and ultimately the leverage.�

There�s no simple measurement for leverage, and truck and wheel choice also play a role, but Schmitt has a simple method for judging the relative amount of leverage in the deck itself. He calls it the finger test.

�How many �fingers� of flat are between the bolt holes and the place where the tail and nose kick up��in other words, the number of fingers you can fit in those spaces��will absolutely make the biggest difference in how your board feels,� he says.

THE FINGER TEST. PHOTO BY PAUL SCHMITT
That test so important because, all other factors being equal, it�s leverage that controls the balance between power and finesse in your setup. The more fingers of flat there are in a deck, the more control you�ll have. Fewer fingers, by contrast, means more power channeled into your pop, but less finesse. Because of this, identically shaped and sized boards can have radically different amounts of leverage depending on mold design, nose and tail lengths, and how they�re drilled.

�Muscles store energy, so the longer it takes your tail to hit the ground, the more energy is going to be released in your ollie and the more power you are going to have,� Schmitt says. �If you�re releasing all your energy in the ollie, you don�t have the energy to do the next part of the trick, whether it�s flipping your board or locking into a crooked grind.� 

Different skaters, of course, have different needs when it comes to leverage. �If you�re an established pro, you have the skill to get power when you need it, so your primary worry is about finesse. But if you are just starting out, you need power. Having the finesse to do a manual doesn�t do any good if you can�t ollie up on the manual pad to do one�.

Thanks. This was all quite a lot to take in at 9 A.M... I'll re-read it after more coffee.

I think I may be able to fist my tail ???

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Having a similar issue right now too, just got a new deck, kinda wishing I had gotten something bigger. But Mark Gonzales said something like, you can skate with anything if you really want to.

This is probably the correct answer. I suppose its want vs need, a little...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
Yeah but isn't Gonz that guy that never wants to skate his own board?