Author Topic: How long do you give it?  (Read 4214 times)

coneklr

Re: How long do you give it?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 11:09:02 PM »
Of course you can skate anything ... and you would if you had to.  But from what I gather you don't have to and if that is the case and this board is in your head, there is no need to force yourself to try and like it.  Sorry if I keep reiterating this ... I just want to see you happy ;)  haha

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 05:57:36 AM »
Of course you can skate anything ... and you would if you had to.  But from what I gather you don't have to and if that is the case and this board is in your head, there is no need to force yourself to try and like it.  Sorry if I keep reiterating this ... I just want to see you happy ;)  haha

Thanks. I'll ride it tomorrow. It doesn't actually make me unhappy, more curious. These little details we get hooked up on and I think it is heavily just in the mental. I can see some positives in forcing yourself.

The responses in this thread have been interesting to me. I can relate to it all.

P.E.A.C.E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XATxQ5UiB3o
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
Of course you can skate anything ... and you would if you had to.  But from what I gather you don't have to and if that is the case and this board is in your head, there is no need to force yourself to try and like it.  Sorry if I keep reiterating this ... I just want to see you happy ;)  haha

This. I can skate anything, but I don't have to. I give it about 10 minutes with a new board or wheels. Just like 144p said, if you know exactly how you like a board to skate you usually know right away. That said, I have gone back to things I didn't like previously, but there is usually a reason I shelved it or gave it away.

Shoes I am way more picky and I know in the first 90 seconds.

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
I've only had a few boards that I just simply couldn't ride. One was in 95 or 96, I was riding 7.5 and 7.75 and tried out an 8.xx, it was just to big for me and my trucks. It felt like a couch on wheels. The other was about 5 years ago, I was at a park and met the owner of weirdo skateboards. Cool dude and I wanted to support/try out a new company so I bought a board from him. Shape was good but the concave, wheelbase and everything else were pretty terrible. Both of those decks were ridden for barely a day. Not bad for skating over 20 years.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Skate it until it feels comfortable, it will.. When you go back to a board that feels natural right out of the gate it'll be great and you'll really appreciate that you rode this one. This is part of why I replace my popsicle shaped boards with more oddly shaped boards.

Also, don't snap the deck because it didn't out for you. That's incredibly wasteful.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:48 PM »
Yeah but isn't Gonz that guy that never wants to skate his own board?
He doesn't set up his own boards either. They come to him already set up. Little fun fact for everyone

I'm real picky when it comes to buying a board. I always size it up with the length and width first, then look at the nose and tail. I try to picture how it'll look and feel with grip on the board. I can spend a few minutes to an hour finding the "right one". Sometimes a dud slips through the cracks. Sometimes I'll try and put up with it, and other times I'll ditch it right away. If it's something that was free I feel an obligation to skate it a little at least, but if it's something I bought I'll swap it out instantly. Either trade it away or use it on a different setup. I never like my own boards. Everyone else's always feel better and skate better. Then I try and recreate that setup and hate it. I try and go for big tails/noses that are steep
fuck you bama

dillanharp

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
Isn't Gonz on Indy? How does that work?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
I was thinking about it and I think that extra long flat section fucks up the pocket a little.

Need to get out more...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »
They have Indys at deluxe...
He came to orchard a few months ago and was talking about how he doesn't set up his own boards and everything he gets comes already assembled
fuck you bama

dillanharp

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They have Indys at deluxe...
He came to orchard a few months ago and was talking about how he doesn't set up his own boards and everything he gets comes already assembled

The shop has Indys...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 11:22:29 PM »
More work for Phelps....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Gonz has been on indy since he left venture (I think). What's wrong with him riding them? Because Krooked is under DLX? DLX is just a distributor of goods (Venture and Thunder, both of which are made in the same factory as INDY).

Better yet, Tommy G. rides for indy, even had a pro truck:

dillanharp

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
I just find it hard to believe the dudes in the dlx warehouse are sitting there once a month or whatever tracking down indys to set up boards for Gonz. And then what they bill NHS for the trucks from their shop inventory? It all just seems like a logistical nightmare to meet some kooky old man's demands.

If anything I would think he goes in to Supreme and they set up his shit there.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 04:06:38 AM »
Just fucking skate something.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
I just find it hard to believe the dudes in the dlx warehouse are sitting there once a month or whatever tracking down indys to set up boards for Gonz. And then what they bill NHS for the trucks from their shop inventory? It all just seems like a logistical nightmare to meet some kooky old man's demands.

If anything I would think he goes in to Supreme and they set up his shit there.

You can order indys from distributions that aren't nhs. You can order them through deluxe. It's also something like "set up a board for gonz" not multiple. Someone has to do it. They have a guy to setup the premise completes they sometimes sell

fuck you bama