Author Topic: Timelapse w/ Proper Skateboarding Rook  (Read 1318 times)

IanBZHD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
Timelapse w/ Proper Skateboarding Rook
« on: February 22, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Hey Slappers,

Proper Footwear has been talked about a bit on SLAP ever since the owner, Shawn Baravetto, was posting on here while creating the company. His story and the shoes interested me, so I finally got around to buying a pair.
After staring at their website for months going back and forth on which shoe to buy and clearing out my current supply of shoes, I settled on the Rook model. It seems the most general and in-between shoe that I could skate without disliking it for any reason in particular.

So basically, I'm just gonna skate these things like I would normally skate a shoe, but take pictures and videos along the way for fun. I probably won't rate them on some scale, but I'll provide notes on what I think is relevant to the shoe as I skate them.
They fit true to size with my toes at the very end of the shoes. I would not size down.
They're also pretty roomy in width. The sidewalls are very surprisingly soft and flexible, and seems like much of the support comes from the heel-cup and sole.

Ridge on Toe Bumper

After walking around for a few minutes on wood flooring, this started to happen...
Doesn't effect anything and seems just like a thin coating from the rubber bonding in the mold.

This photo is after 20 minutes of skating them, as seen in the video posted. I walked around in the shoes for about 2 days before trying to skate them.
I'll add more description later, as this post is already long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjYIu_wp27g

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Timelapse w/ Proper Skateboarding Rook
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
Sick. Sick. Nice vid. Keeping a lookout for the review

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
Interested to see how they hold up. Video was great too.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
Very cool idea! Excited to see how it turns out!

EDIT: I haven't bought a pair of Propers yet (too many shoes, too little space, and Shawn's posted interest in releasing a cupsole slip on and if he does, I'll buy a bunch), but I have a few Proper shirts and they're great. He has awesome designs and colors on everything. I love the Bianca shirt so much I'm thinking of buying a back up. I've wondered if it might make sense to "pivot" so that the shirts, hoodies, socks, etc. are described as the main focus while shoes (which are more expensive to make and move less) are positioned as more "exclusive, limited lines" and he takes a skate/streetwear angle? Kinda how Chrystie started as a sock company with some clothes and ended up as a clothing company that also makes socks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:31:29 PM by oyolar »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:57:16 PM »
nice pop on you flatground tricks. you rip
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 10:54:54 PM »
What's going on with this prolapsed timer?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:43:09 AM »
that was cool, really nice footage, too.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
Shoe Update 2:

I haven't had much time to skate since the original post, but I've gotten in 5 sessions with the shoes which is probably around the 10-12 hour mark. I'll add some initial thoughts on the shoe that I didn't mention in the first post.

Fit/Feel:
True to size. They do feel snug around the middle of the foot, and the laces basically just tighten the middle panel.
I'm going to do my best to explain this, but the shoes don't really feel like any other shoes I've felt before.
The shoe basically doesn't have any pinch points when flexing. The interior doesn't have anything that pokes or tightens that would cause discomfort as the shoe flexes while walking/pushing. The sole almost feels like you're stepping into a pair of Crocs, but in a good way. They feel strangely soft and pliable which means no stiff sole break in period. I definitely did not think this would translate into a shoe that skated good at all.

After skating them, the sole is awesome. I've always wanted to skate a shoe that has high sidewalls, but your foot sits lower into the sole unit, and these are the shoes. I think this is the best construction for stability for people with weaker ankles like myself. This produces great boardfeel, as the actual distance between your board and foot is minimal, not the actual height of the sidewall (which is tall).
I have had some concern about minor heel slippage, which is a problem with 75% of shoes for me.
I don't notice it while skating though and the sole is so flexible it's not really an issue.

Durability: Seem pretty durable so far, can't tell too much yet. Check the pics.

I'll try to post some new clips as I gather them and a huge thanks to everyone for the feedback, I knew SLAP had a heart!  ;)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:15:45 AM »
nice, the outsole sounds great. does proper ship to eu? i always wanted to try the cinex. but the rook looks super good as well. might get the first to chill and the second one to skate.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 07:27:57 AM »
The Rook is taking so many cues from Kareem's Duffs shoe and I fucking love it!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
The Rook is taking so many cues from Kareem's Duffs shoe and I fucking love it!
The KCK side panel was definitely a big factor in me wanting the shoes in the first place!

New School Flow

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Brand new Rooks in 10.5 for only $30:. https://poshmark.com/closet/mrskateshoes
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:34:42 PM by New School Flow »