Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225668 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2016, 12:33:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Please never stop making twin tails. The one I'm skating right now is amazing. Love not worrying about nose and tail. Just grabbing my board and going. Love it. Gonna be weird to back to a "normal" board.
[close]

i got 2 ishod boards that have twin tail. the one with the silver holographic-graphic-graphic.
i only got the first one to use as a wall board but then remembered those new deal siamese decks from back in the day so gave it a go.
my initial impression was not good at all. really weird to get into noseslides, really weird for switch tricks, especially the ones that need subtle pop-like sw nose wheelies on low stuff. after 3 sessions though, i have started to really dig the shape (bar those switch tricks) and 2 days ago the second one came through the post. i am now worried that i might get too used to this and that it will be difficult to get back to "normal".
the fact that its symmetrical is great though. very convenient
[close]

I'm riding that same board. I can't do switch for shit, so I don't have that problem. I'm also worried that I might get too used to it though. Haha

i'm definitely used to this by now. 5 sessions in. with the nose actually being a tail, nollie tricks are a bummer. it takes longer for the edge of the board to touch the ground and pop so everything is different. for some reason, however, this board feels great to skate tranny. does anyone here know if the twin shape is available with both nose/tail being slightly longer than a normal tail? like, in between of a tail and a nose. i know such a board would be more susceptible to breaking but i'm sure would be grand for pretty much everything. i dont skate massive ledges anyway.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2016, 01:42:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Please never stop making twin tails. The one I'm skating right now is amazing. Love not worrying about nose and tail. Just grabbing my board and going. Love it. Gonna be weird to back to a "normal" board.
[close]

i got 2 ishod boards that have twin tail. the one with the silver holographic-graphic-graphic.
i only got the first one to use as a wall board but then remembered those new deal siamese decks from back in the day so gave it a go.
my initial impression was not good at all. really weird to get into noseslides, really weird for switch tricks, especially the ones that need subtle pop-like sw nose wheelies on low stuff. after 3 sessions though, i have started to really dig the shape (bar those switch tricks) and 2 days ago the second one came through the post. i am now worried that i might get too used to this and that it will be difficult to get back to "normal".
[close]

I'm riding that same board. I can't do switch for shit, so I don't have that problem. I'm also worried that I might get too used to it though. Haha
[close]

i'm definitely used to this by now. 5 sessions in. with the nose actually being a tail, nollie tricks are a bummer. it takes longer for the edge of the board to touch the ground and pop so everything is different. for some reason, however, this board feels great to skate tranny. does anyone here know if the twin shape is available with both nose/tail being slightly longer than a normal tail? like, in between of a tail and a nose. i know such a board would be more susceptible to breaking but i'm sure would be grand for pretty much everything. i dont skate massive ledges anyway.

A twin nose/tail would be really good as you would spread out the wear on your tail and nose more evenly, and wouldn't have to worry about the direction of the board. But what about your trucks, do any of you skate the front truck slightly looser than the back, and have specific grooves in your trucks like 5-0, crook or smith grooves? It seems like for some people those factors would mean that a twin tail board doesn't make their setup as symmetrical as one would initially think.

ZEBRA

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A twin nose/tail would be really good as you would spread out the wear on your tail and nose more evenly, and wouldn't have to worry about the direction of the board. But what about your trucks, do any of you skate the front truck slightly looser than the back, and have specific grooves in your trucks like 5-0, crook or smith grooves? It seems like for some people those factors would mean that a twin tail board doesn't make their setup as symmetrical as one would initially think.

That's the reason I love it. I can do whatever trick and not worry about popping off the nose or tail, and I hate razor tail.

To answer the truck question, I like my front truck looser than my back truck, but because I knew I was going to skate a twin tail eventually, I tighten my trucks up evenly. I can't crook. Never been able to. They're one of those elusive tricks for me. Landed a few of them, but could never get them down. I do have 5-0 groove though, but don't think 5-0 on my front truck would mess me up at all. I kinda like that new grind to a new truck. Don't lock in too well, but it's smooth

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
Rode a few mystery symetry boards a while back (with ACE44s) and really enjoyed it; the shape was more twin tail (Whereas the Creature and Plan B boards were more like Twin noses); I always keep my trucks as evenly loose as possible (OCD'd down to number of cranks). The hardest part was trying to get passed not giving a fuck when setting up or getting on as its such a rote memory thing to do that you don't notice how often you check to see if your shit is pointing the way you want it.

What was really good for me was I have a mental thang with doing bside pop shuvs off stairs or onto ledges, my board HAS to be backwards (popping of the nose), same thing for fakie big spins.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's the reason I love it. I can do whatever trick and not worry about popping off the nose or tail, and I hate razor tail.

To answer the truck question, I like my front truck looser than my back truck, but because I knew I was going to skate a twin tail eventually, I tighten my trucks up evenly. I can't crook. Never been able to. They're one of those elusive tricks for me. Landed a few of them, but could never get them down. I do have 5-0 groove though, but don't think 5-0 on my front truck would mess me up at all. I kinda like that new grind to a new truck. Don't lock in too well, but it's smooth

I see, I guess I'll still have to have the board facing one particular way for a few particular grinds, but asides that the twin tail would still be really useful. Gonna try get my hands on one. Thanks

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I see, I guess I'll still have to have the board facing one particular way for a few particular grinds, but asides that the twin tail would still be really useful. Gonna try get my hands on one. Thanks

sorry, saw this late. i too have the front truck slightly looser than the tail but not much. its not that i am skating the board on the nose all the time- its good enough for emergency nose-popped tricks and its more of a psychological factor but to be honest i did not like the board because of the nose being identical to the nose. as i was trying to get used to popping switch tricks off a tail, i thought this could be good for my skating. after 6 sessions though, i could still not get used to the feel so i swapped the board for an atm click ed devera, with normal nose and extremely mellow concave that took absolutely no time to get used to
Expand Quote
[close]

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »
Hey Dudes, thanks for all the feedback so far! -Really appreciated!

We have something pretty cool in the works for this thread that I'll post soon enough...

First off we have a couple of specific questions for you that will help us get ready for that next step:

1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase?

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width)

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code?

4.     What length of wheelbase do you prefer?

5.     What is your end-all-be-all dream shape?

Thanks guys!

coneklr

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »

We have something pretty cool in the works for this thread that I'll post soon enough...

First off we have a couple of specific questions for you that will help us get ready for that next step:

1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase?

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width)

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code?

Thanks guys!

1.  Combo length/width.  8 x around 32

2/3.  It would help me and I wouldn't have stopped skating reals if I knew the shape would always be the same if I always bought the same size ... this changed at some point and the tapered nose/tail killed me being able to keep hoping I got lucky

4.  I never really know so I'm not super worried on this one

5.  8x32 fat rounded nose and tail ( fwiw I also liked the low pro I had a lot ) ... so 8 X 32 low pro full ;)

Thanks for putting a real interest in what the consumer wants!

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »

1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase?

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width)

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code?

4.     What length of wheelbase do you prefer?

5.     What is your end-all-be-all dream shape?

Thanks guys!

1. As of right now, wheelbase.
2. While I don't think nose/tail length is necessary, I always like to get as much information as possible. It frustrates me when the wheelbase isn't listed.
3. I like it, it makes it easier to find the exact shape you're looking for. Sometimes it's confusing when boards with similar width and length are shaped differently.
4. 14.5, but I'd like to try something in the 8.38 range.
5. Basically the 8.25 full, but with the same tail as the regular 8.25/8.38 boards. It's pretty damn close as it is though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:07:04 AM by GOATMOON »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
1. Width. Having to shop mostly online it is sadly often the only thing I can go off. Also shopping in Europe where at least some brands seem to use different wood shops than for their boards sold in USA, it's difficult getting the info I'd like to have for length, wheelbase, concave, etc.

2. Yes! I think this should be heavily encouraged. Maybe then shops could also start putting the info up, so it wouldn't be such a gamble every time.

3. I guess it could help, but not really necessary for me personally. Maybe the shops would put it up easier if it had some name or code though, so in that regard it might be better.

4. Wheelbase maybe 14.5". I know 14" is a bit short for me at least, but I can deal with it also. Length 32" to 33"

5. 8.25", 14.5" wb, 32.5" long. Somewhere thereabouts. Haven't found my dream shape yet, but I do prefer slightly longer wheelbases and lengths with proper noses and tails (no short stubs). Medium concave. Definitely not mellow at least. Also, I've never tried the twin tail shapes, but I think I might like a twin tail board personally.

N.L.

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »

1.� � �Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase?

2.� � �Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width)

3.� � �How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape� � � � �code?

4.� � �What length of wheelbase do you prefer?

5.� � �What is your end-all-be-all dream shape?

Thanks guys!

Yeah Lenny!

1) Width
2) Yes
3) Sounds ideal
4) 14.5
5) Dream shape would be either be the Raney Shape or the Salman shape (the one Real put out last year) slightly wider with slightly longer wheelbase. Perhaps with double drilled wheelbase 14.25" to 14.75" Real did one a few years ago with a Shovel nose for the Ace Edition. Would love something like this again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:10:53 AM by N.L. »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
1. first thing i look is width, then lenght and wheelbase, but wheelbase seems to be the most important thing from what i heard

2. why not, but with the naked eye i saw

3. weird, but why not

4. 14.38 works well right now

5. 8.25 x 32 x 14.38 is good at the moment

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »

1.     Width
 2.     Any specs available make my decisions much easier so I'll take any numbers you can give

3.     If the specs of each shape code are available along with the code then that would be cool
 4.     No more than 14.5 but anything between 14-14.5 is good
 5.     The 8.38 full shape is damn perfect for me. Right now that is my end all shape haha

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 110
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
1. Width
2. Yes.  Love that DLX lists the width, length and wheelbase already.
3. That would be great. 
4. 14 to 14.25
5. 8.25 x 31.5 with a 14" wheelbase

I'm currently enjoying the 8.125 x 31.25 - 14" shape and love it.  I guess I pretty much enjoy all DLX boards between 8.06 - 8.25.

Thanks for asking for and taking feedback. 
Enjoy your life.

BMCsteve

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
 1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase? Width

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width) YES! Absolutely

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code? All in favor of this and then have the chart online and at shops

4.     What length of wheelbase do you prefer? 8-8.25 = 14.25wb. 8.38-8.5 = 14.5wb. 8.6+ = 14.75wb

5.     What is your end-all-be-all dream shape?A line of symmetrical FULL shapes.  Dream shape would be 8.5 w/ 14.5wb and twin 7" full tails

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »

1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase?

Wheelbase (but oh man, it's all of it....I like ~32" boards with 14.3+ WB @ 8.25 and above ;)

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width)

Yes, but I don't care about Nose/Tail width, standing on it fixes that, knowing it's a full or regular helps tho +WB and LxW.

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code?

Yes.

The 14.3 you guys make is dreamy.

The quasi 8.25" squarish popscicle but in a tru 8.3 with a 14.35 WB..I can't explain it any better than that.

Thanks guys!

The 8.25" FULL is almost perfection, the 14.5 WB and the 32+ made it feel really long. How I'd make it: 8.25" FULL/14.35"WB/31.75L with twin nose/tail hybrids (an inbetween length)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:02:33 PM by Xen »

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »
1.     Please give only one answer: What is the main factor for you in deciding on a shape? Length, width, or wheelbase? Width

2.     Would it help to have more specific and measurements visible on the packaging of each board? (e.g. Nose/Tail width) YES! Absolutely

3.     How would you feel about our boards having a more simplified shape guide, where each shape has a specific name or more basic shape         code? All in favor of this and then have the chart online and at shops

4.     What length of wheelbase do you prefer? 8-8.25 = 14.25wb. 8.38-8.5 = 14.5wb. 8.6+ = 14.75wb

5.     What is your end-all-be-all dream shape?A line of symmetrical FULL shapes.  Dream shape would be 8.5 w/ 14.5wb and twin 7" full tails
wow that's pretty much exactly what i was gonna put down, minus maybe having like one 15" wb option in the 8.6-8.8 range just for the sake of having it

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
1) Wheelbase
2) Yes (didn't Real do this on the Wrecking Crew boards?)
3) I'd rather just have 2)
4) 15
5) 8.5 x 33 with a 15 inch wheelbase (my past three boards have been the 8.43 shape and that's close to perfect for me).
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
A deck chart like the spit/wheel chart would be love.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2016, 07:55:19 PM »

Width first because it has to fit my trucks but that almost goes without saying, right?

So the NEXT most important thing is probably wheelbase. I would have said "length" a year or two ago but I've since learned that I can live with a slightly shorter board but I can't stand a shorter wheelbase.

Still, too short length is a deal breaker as is a shorter tail

Probably not. Maybe if done as a line diagram but as just more numbers on a sticker it starts to look like number soup. I also have little basis for comparison so what does a 7.88" wide tail mean anyway? Is that slim? Normal? In fact a Full/Normal/Slim classification might be more helpful.

Maybe, although I can see this inadvertently boosting online sales to the detriment of brick and mortar shops (although you'd still run the risk of getting a heinous yellow top ply).

14.5? The one on the 8.06? I ought to know this.

I had a Busenitz logo board that was pretty perfect a few years back. The 8.12?
Maybe the 8.06 Full Shape tail on the regular nose?
The one that finally makes me land a solid backside air on vert?

Farz

• Rep: 12
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2016, 10:31:29 PM »

1.     Width
 2.     Any specs available make my decisions much easier so I'll take any numbers you can give

3.     If the specs of each shape code are available along with the code then that would be cool
 4.     No more than 14.5 but anything between 14-14.5 is good
 5.     The 8.38 full shape is damn perfect for me. Right now that is my end all shape haha

This sums my thoughts up perfectly as well. Currently skating an Ishod 8.38 full and have been ecstatic with it since day 1, love all fat/square popsicles with little to no taper.

Will definitely be grabbing one of the 8.25 fulls in the future

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2016, 11:32:13 PM »

Thanks guys!

Width
Yes, it would even make me consider buying the board
Would be sick....
Don't look at wheelbases yet...just not nuts about longer ones...usually figure it out too late....
Lately blunt....like what ps Stix is doing w. FA, habitat, etc.....

ZEBRA

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »

Thanks guys!

1. Width
2. I'm happy with the size stickers you have now.
3.Naming the shapes would be cool. They would just have to be names you can memorize. Crailtap has G075 or whatever, and Welcome has Nimbus and some other crazy names. I like how Baker has simple names like OG. That's just me though...
4. 14-14.4
5. I haven't skated any full shapes yet, but I have to imagine a Full Shape Twintail 8.25 X 32, with a 14.4 wheelbase.

filmthis

• Rep: 0
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:46 PM »
that one lime green peter ramondetta "grand order of the oval" board with the graphic going top to bottom had the best shape ever. .. series from like '07-09; somewhere around there..
vx1000

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:20 AM »

Thanks guys!

1. width
2. good as is
3. go for it
4. don't know, as long as the nose is not excessively long. i hate boards that look like spades
5. generally any ishod shape bar the twin thing ones

Sorry but i would like to add a "request": can manufacturers please stop producing those really crappy boards that have absolutely no concave on the nose or tail? the kind of boards that if you place the nose flat on a table the board does not rock sideways at all? i know its a mellow concave thing but i have skated boards with extremely mellow concaves that did  not have this issue. Sorry about this Lenny but its something that has been bugging me the last 10 years. To be honest, this is the very first thing i check when i find a board that looks rad. My mates were not aware of this "issue" but since i pointed this out, everyone seems to not like the total lack of concave on the nose/tail. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:21:59 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
[close]

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2016, 04:27:08 AM »
 1.     Width

2.     Yes, most real boards I buy just have a small sticker with some dimensions, it would help to include a larger sticker with the width,     length, wheelbase and nose/tail length etc.

3.     Yes, instead of saying the 8.43 x 32.75 with 14.5 inch wheelbase shape or whatever, it would help to have a nickname or code to refer to each shape and explain some of its features. Could probably put that on the sticker I mentioned above^^

4.     I don't remember what it is but whatever wheelbase was on the 8.43 x 32.57 shape, there was a Justin Brock totem graphic with that shape. Works well for bigger guys like myself. Would be great if you could make 8.5 boards with that wheelbase.

5.     8.5 width, the wheelbase of the shape above(can't remember what it is), low pro with a full nose and tail.

As a sidenote, I don't think the sticker pack+stencil included with most real boards is necessary. I have like 100 of those things now.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »
First off, thank you ALL again for participating in this!

With your help and input, we will work to make some new shapes that kick ass.

The whole reason we have so many different shapes is that we know even 1/16” can change everything about the feel of a board. We want the chore of finding the right shape to be as easy a process as possible, as well as make sure we are pushing skateboarding further in the right direction.

-Thank you for the help.

Here is a Dropbox link with an Illustrator file that has three of our most popular shapes (8.25, 8.38, and 8.5), this is your chance to make the shape you've always dreamed of!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6njhsncwbplhqw5/Slap%20Shapers.ai?dl=0

Just download the file, edit your shape(s), rename the file so that includes your SLAP user name, and send me an email when your done, and
I'll send you a Wetransfer link to get the finished files in couple days!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
First off, thank you ALL again for participating in this!

With your help and input, we will work to make some new shapes that kick ass.

The whole reason we have so many different shapes is that we know even 1/16� can change everything about the feel of a board. We want the chore of finding the right shape to be as easy a process as possible, as well as make sure we are pushing skateboarding further in the right direction.

-Thank you for the help.

Here is a Dropbox link with an Illustrator file that has three of our most popular shapes (8.25, 8.38, and 8.5), this is your chance to make the shape you've always dreamed of!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6njhsncwbplhqw5/Slap%20Shapers.ai?dl=0

Just download the file, edit your shape(s), rename the file so that includes your SLAP user name, and send me an email when your done, and
I'll send you a Wetransfer link to get the finished files in couple days!

OH SNAP!

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
width.

for some people, i dont need it. the size should only have one nose tail spec per size unless its the "full" version which is explanatory.

as long as its simple not numbered like element.

14.38" (8.06")

depends if if like it or not but i would like a twin shape 8.06"

micky682

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
I think you should look at Baker and how they label their decks. When your at the shop Baker decks have the concave type (mellow or steep), the WB, and the dimensions (size and length).