Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 225697 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2018, 01:38:45 AM »
Do they all know something we don't and the dimensions don't work or something?

Seriously. Why make a 32.62", or an 8.62"x32.56", or a 8.06x31.97" (all current AH decks)? WTF is the logic in those numbers? Almost seems like computer generated ratios or something. It's bewildering how those numbers were arrived at. I'd love for someone to explain it.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
Maybe due to veneer yield lengths or something, there is also the human element (sanding) that might come into play?

10x30 was the 80s staple, then it was whatever width x32", now it's crazy town...

If I could find a Numbers silvas locally to step on to find out if if it's pointy or fullish I'd bite, it's go near perfect dims:

wb:14.385"   32.12"x8.3"   n:7.125"   t:6.7"

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2018, 12:08:28 AM »
Maybe due to veneer yield lengths or something, there is also the human element (sanding) that might come into play?

10x30 was the 80s staple, then it was whatever width x32", now it's crazy town...

If I could find a Numbers silvas locally to step on to find out if if it's pointy or fullish I'd bite, it's go near perfect dims:

It’s fullish over pointy I would say, skating one right now. was stoked when I read the dimensions on the deck. Or the nose is full and the tail is more pointed. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:24:06 AM by RumpelFoarskin »

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #393 on: March 29, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
I’d like an 8.38” FULL SLICK

Please

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It’s fullish over pointy I would say, skating one right now. was stoked when I read the dimensions on the deck. Or the nose is full and the tail is more pointed.

I'm skating one now, it's not as full as I'd like or as a real full but it will have to do until Real puts out a [seeminbly random] Full/dimension combo that I like...the 8.38 full with the giant wheelbase is the exact reason why the 8.25 SE came to be, the masses don't want massive WBs...

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
Really hope they keep the 8.3 TwinTails in production for years to come. Such great dimensions & near perfect for myself. Can anyone from DLX confirm if Ishod actually skates that shape/size on the regular? A lot of the time it looks like he just skates normal logo boards but the shapes do kinda look like the twintails

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
Really hope they keep the 8.3 TwinTails in production for years to come. Such great dimensions & near perfect for myself. Can anyone from DLX confirm if Ishod actually skates that shape/size on the regular? A lot of the time it looks like he just skates normal logo boards but the shapes do kinda look like the twintails

He skates them!

We make him a special slick one with the Oval Logo that he likes.

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »
Just got a board with a short wheelbase (14") since I'm short.  And it rules. I really like the twin tails, any chance there would be a twin tail with a smaller wheelbase? Or just boards with that small of a wheelbase?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: March 30, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He skates them!

Make us a full slick of it then ;)

spanyard

« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Just got a board with a short wheelbase (14") since I'm short.  And it rules. I really like the twin tails, any chance there would be a twin tail with a smaller wheelbase? Or just boards with that small of a wheelbase?

LennyDLXSF, please, my man, ask the gods to make more short wheelbasers 14"/shorter than 32" length on boards wider than 8.12", ala the Wair Hi Performance or the AH Taylor Overcrowsding, but a tad bit wider...

micky682

« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He skates them!

Twin tail shape is bomb, the twin tail slick is amazing. Skated both and loved them.

Brad Breath

« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
It was cool hearing Ishod (9 club show) discuss his setup and riding the symmetrical shaped deck. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »
It was cool hearing Ishod (9 club show) discuss his setup and riding the symmetrical shaped deck.

I tend not to watch but this one was really good.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously. Why make a 32.62", or an 8.62"x32.56", or a 8.06x31.97" (all current AH decks)? WTF is the logic in those numbers? Almost seems like computer generated ratios or something. It's bewildering how those numbers were arrived at. I'd love for someone to explain it.

I like those sizes but...

I seem to remember a guy who had compiled a list of the major board companies measuring techniques. Some used a flat yardstick, others let a tape measure follow the contour of the deck (pretty sure DLX was the latter).

Maybe a number like 32.56 is simply a contour measure of a board that is essentially 32" tip to tip?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »

I seem to remember a guy who had compiled a list of the major board companies measuring techniques. Some used a flat yardstick, others let a tape measure follow the contour of the deck (pretty sure DLX was the latter).

Maybe a number like 32.56 is simply a contour measure of a board that is essentially 32" tip to tip?

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html

calvinsdream

« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »

How do you need a wheelbase smaller than 14”

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you need a wheelbase smaller than 14”

He doesn't mean a WB smaller than 14" but a twin tail with a small, i.e., 14" WB.

Other than Creature and Real the Twin Tails are hardly made, Plan B does one on occasion and it does have a small WB compared to the REAL/Creature

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
Is the Ishod twin tail 8.38” or 8.5” coming back? I’m having a hard time finding even the usual 8.3” but I think I’d prefer the bigger ones myself.

I’m in Finland but willing to buy online all over Europe. Can’t find the 8.38” or the 8.5” anywhere.  :-\

JAesop

« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
Anybody know if the T-MO shovelnose is coming out again? Lenny?

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
Offer some taper popsicles please. I can’t ride these square boards. That lil snuff shape is awesome I wish y’all did that exactly with a 8.5

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: April 28, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Offer some taper popsicles please. I can’t ride these square boards. That lil snuff shape is awesome I wish y’all did that exactly with a 8.5

Everything that isn't shaped or full, is?

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #411 on: April 29, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »
Hookups or JK kinda pointy. from my understanding they same woodshop. But what I really want is the lil snuff shape in a 8.5

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #412 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »
skating some magenta's for the past few months (8'25's) and wondering about the mold and measures they're using.

Brad Breath

« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
Do the Real regular 8.38’s (not full) have a wider nose than antihero and Krooked?  I got a Krooked 8.38” that seemed too tapered.  The 8.38” full I had was TOO wide.  Now I’m on a Krooked 8.25” full.

LennyDLXSF

• Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
Do the Real regular 8.38’s (not full) have a wider nose than antihero and Krooked?  I got a Krooked 8.38” that seemed too tapered.  The 8.38” full I had was TOO wide.  Now I’m on a Krooked 8.25” full.

The 8.38s are the same with all three brands.

calvinsdream

« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think the weird length measurements can come from different nose/tail dimensions, if DLX measures tip to tip without contour. Steeper noses/tails would make for a shorter measured length without the contour.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think the weird length measurements can come from different nose/tail dimensions, if DLX measures tip to tip without contour. Steeper noses/tails would make for a shorter measured length without the contour.

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html

REAL/DLX - "Grip side from tip of nose to tail no contour".
(DLX is Real, Anti-Hero, Krooked)

SKATE ONE - "Surface area on the bottom of the deck. Graphic side with contour". - Kam
(Skate One is Powell Peralta, Mini Logo, Positiv, Hoopla)

NHS - "Straight ruler from tip to tip on the top. Not with the contour". - Ron Whaley
NHS Fun Factory - "It's overall length nose to tail. It's the same both ways. ie, if you lay a bendable tape measure down on the board and measure from nose to tail".
(NHS is Santa Cruz, Creature, Flip)

BIGMESS SKATEBOARDS - "From the top side with the measuring device having full contact with the deck the whole time, end to end".

BIRDHOUSE - "We measure width by the distance from rail to rail in the middle of the deck. Length is from nose to tail, not following the contour".

FOUNDATION - "We measure the top deck through width and length...not measuring through concave".

ASSAULT SKATEBOARDS - "Top, with a soft tape".

WELCOME SKATEBOARDS - "grip side with contour". OP

TOY MACHINE - "measured the top deck through width and length. boards are not measured through concave".

ELEPHANT BRAND SKATEBOARDS - "Grip side (top) and push down the tape into the contours of the deck".

BLACK LABEL - "Grip side with contours".

STEREO - "Nose to tail. Straight across the top of the deck".

SHIPYARD -  "The shop that makes them measures from the top. Pushing the tape measure down as you go from tip to tail".

DECKCRAFTERS - "Grip side of deck with ruler curved with the contour of the deck".

CRAILTAP - "Grip side".
(Crailtap is Girl, Chocolate)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »
I picked up an 8.25 ishod twin and I like it.....

Pros: two tails means it lasts longer for me.  I've always just shuv' d off my nose which makes doing lines complicated....this cures that.  A lot of tricks the shorter nose helps ie switch front 3's.?  The shorter nose at least mentally makes the board feel a bit lighter because you aren't swinging around this huge front end. 

Cons: I wiff nollie tricks.....as expected I need a bit of help which a longer nose helps with.  Hopefully I'll get used to it.  The boards are not easy to come by too but it's made me rethink nose size....

It would be sick if real did not just ishods boards but maybe some ovals too....just get more of them out there...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
I picked up an 8.25 ishod twin and I like it.....

Pros: two tails means it lasts longer for me.  I've always just shuv' d off my nose which makes doing lines complicated....this cures that.  A lot of tricks the shorter nose helps ie switch front 3's.?  The shorter nose at least mentally makes the board feel a bit lighter because you aren't swinging around this huge front end. 

Cons: I wiff nollie tricks.....as expected I need a bit of help which a longer nose helps with.  Hopefully I'll get used to it.  The boards are not easy to come by too but it's made me rethink nose size....

It would be sick if real did not just ishods boards but maybe some ovals too....just get more of them out there...

I really want one, I was fan of the Mystery Symetry boards from about 5 years ago (they were very full as they were essentially twin noses, not tails.

If DLX would make them in fulls I'd ride the 8.3s until they stopped making them as it's the exact dims I like to ride.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
a twin nose would be great too, a Gerwer model ;)