Author Topic: Need help with Front Shuv's  (Read 16576 times)

seamop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Need help with Front Shuv's
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
(sorry if there is already a thread somewhere with someone who has the same problem, but i couldnt find one.)
hey guys, just asking if anyone has a the same problem.
one of my weak points is defiantly the front shuv, and i have a problem where when i do them they don't really "scoop". (when i try to scoop without commiting they come around perfectly)
they kind of just float there and go behind me while i'm incredibly far above the board.
i cant find anyone who has a front shuv similar to what im trying to explain, but hopefully some of you had the same problem and could overcome it.  :)
(sorry if its a pointless thread, just seriously can't find any videos on how to overcome this. thanks heaps! :D )

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
Re: Need help with Front Shuv's
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »
Try to keep the board in front of your toes, like making a point to do that. It'll feel a little awkward at first but it'll help you catch it and kick it around properly. The same thing applies for heelflips for me, if I wanna land them I need to push them in front of me.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

N.L.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
This is one trick I do know how to do. Sit back on it a bit when you're crouched for the pop and then push it in front of you as you pop. Suck those legs up quick.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18:44 AM »
Oh man fuck this trick. I used to do them all nice, a couple years ago, did it down a couple gaps and after that I just lost it. I can do it in a Game of Skate, but they are terrible, and I feel super awkward doing them. Just wanted to say that..

shit_for_brains

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
What about doing them into something? Specifically bs 5050s and crooks. I overshoot the ledge and end up on top when trying 5050s, and I just can't wrap my head around getting it to stick to my front foot like that for a crook. I've gotten an accidental bigspin noseslide before, but there's some disconnect for me there.

seamop

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:23 AM »
Try to keep the board in front of your toes, like making a point to do that. It'll feel a little awkward at first but it'll help you catch it and kick it around properly. The same thing applies for heelflips for me, if I wanna land them I need to push them in front of me.

thanks! tried pushing in front and defiantly could catch them better, still a work in progress before i huck them down stuff but thanks a lot anyway :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »
Hang your front toes off....everyone knows that....back foot when you pop...don't think popping down....think popping straight or forward.

Say like a 3 flip if you took an overhead shot....your back foot would swing behind you....front shove you pop straight ahead...and jump!

@thewilleasley

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
Hang your front toes off....everyone knows that....back foot when you pop...don't think popping down....think popping straight or forward.

Say like a 3 flip if you took an overhead shot....your back foot would swing behind you....front shove you pop straight ahead...and jump!

this! Its all about that soccer ball kick. your back foot almost kicks inward toward your front foot. thats gonna give you the most pop while still keeping it under you.

Nacnud

• Rep: 9
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:36:49 AM »
This trick is all in the back foot. For me the front foot is on the ball just behind the front truck. Back foot is is in ollie position with it slightly to towards the heel side of the board. When you pop it your back foot kicks out towards your toes and your front foot just raises straight up and guides your board underneath. I find it easier to do it with my board backwards.

Sometimes rapping some lyrics from 'Mixtape' helps also.

Best of luck!!!

" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

straight

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
Please move to tricks I hate thread. This is one of the ugliest things you can do on a skateboard. Also if you must...it's all in your back toes. But please try an resist. You just look silly

abudabi

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
^idiot

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »
hang the heel of your front foot off

and push that motherfucker forward not sideways

Justin Lauria

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
You can try jumping heelside a little bit when you're starting out (just like with regular pop-shuvits, sometimes it helps to jump a little bit toe-side when you pop), but ideally you want to board to spin underneath you rather than pivot around the tail and land behind where it started.

My advice is to try moving your front foot around either farther toward the nose or the tail, to see if it spins better (either way though,you want to hang your toes off a little bit).

Also, you want to make sure to have the ball of your back foot (the part in between your toes and your heel) directly in the center of the tail (and by that I mean not too far heel-side), so that when you scoop the board, it doesn't lean one way and get pushed behind you.

What finally got this trick to click for me was to learn Frontside 180 no-complies using Sam Tabor's trick tip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx53Uf8sxBk).  This got my back foot positioning and technique PERFECTLY lined up to do Front-shuvs.

Hope you get it figured out soon! This trick kills people in S.K.A.T.E.!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
Please move to tricks I hate thread. This is one of the ugliest things you can do on a skateboard. Also if you must...it's all in your back toes. But please try an resist. You just look silly

Pretty sure I read a Dylan Reider interview where he said Dill told him how back shoves we're garbage and to only do front shoves....that's all we need...

abudabi

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
^Omar but yeah.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »
Given up on this trick and accepted that I'm probably never gonna be good at them. My sister used to make me throw temper tantrums when she did them in a game of skate. Front shuvs only makes sense to me out of back lips or doing late ones on flat or out of wallies.

Rafiki

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 01:06:22 AM »
Given up on this trick and accepted that I'm probably never gonna be good at them. My sister used to make me throw temper tantrums when she did them in a game of skate. Front shuvs only makes sense to me out of back lips or doing late ones on flat or out of wallies.
Sick that your sister skates and has them. Its all back foot dont even move your front foot besides to lift up when you scoop and pop.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
slightly embarassed to admit that after reading this thread I got them back. Used to have them pretty good, then they started rolling over and going to primo all the time. Rectified this by placing a little more attention on my front foot heelside.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:57 AM »
My back shove always flutters....

Just out of curiosity....a hard flip has nothing to do with a kickflip and a front shuv......correct? 

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 05:06:01 AM »

Just out of curiosity....a hard flip has nothing to do with a kickflip and a front shuv......correct? 

To me it does. just combination of the two. The only difference is direction of the flick which is to the side where the board is already turning...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »

I can't do them anymore, but when I could do them I did them like that. I watched Bryan Herman.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »
Fuck this fucking trick, I learned em once during an all nighter at 3rd Lair, didn't do em for a few months, haven't landed one since. Anyway, when I try them and get close, I keep my back foot hanging half off the tail and my front foot fully on the board over the bolts. That usually keeps it right under me.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 05:13:42 AM »
One of my favorite tricks of all time, and one of the few tricks that came natural to me from the get go. I think I learned them in 5-10 minutes my first time ever trying to actually learn them. I suck at giving trick tips, but I'll try to explain it the best I can.
Have your front foot wherever it feels comfortable, it's not going to be as important as your back foot. Some people like to dangle some toe off like a similar front foot setup to a heelflip, but I have my front foot on there with nothing hanging off, kinda like how you would set your front foot up to just do a normal ollie, but just do what's comfortable to you.
For your back foot, you're gonna have your toes in the left pocket of the tail (right if you're goofy) but don't have it be JUST your toes, have a bit of foot on there too, but it's gonna be mainly your toes. With your back foot you're gonna scoop outward with a lot of might, and let the board rotate and guide itself to your front foot. You might wanna practice the scooping motion for a bit to make sure it gets all the way around. Get used to the opposite motions your feet are going to be doing (back foot is kicking outward, front foot is moving the opposite direction to catch the board and stop it from rotating). When I first learned it I was picturing it as an fs 180 except my body stayed still while the board rotated, and that kinda helped, but for some people that tip doesn't work for most people. Another important tip: Have your body, more importantly your shoulders and your whole upper body in general, facing forward, as if you were getting ready to do a Fs 180 (like how Reynolds describes in his Fs flip trick tip on YouTube, shoulders and upper body facing forward as if you're about to turn even though you aren't going to). You will have more control of them and they will feel better (for me at least) when you do them like that, and it'll be easier for them to rotate all the way around, so if you're having trouble with a full rotation, try this method out. I've always found them harder to do when you're not facing forward but just facing to the side like you would be for kickflips and a lot of other tricks.

Also, to the poster above me, I hate when that shit happens, when you learn a trick and they make so much sense for a short period of time, but then you immediately lose them not too long later after not doing them for a bit. Happened to me with regular bs bigspins. Had them down so good for a bit, stopped trying them for a while, and now I can't do them anymore at all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:49:37 PM by Noble Experiment »

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

To me it does. just combination of the two. The only difference is direction of the flick which is to the side where the board is already turning...

Truth. If you flip it straight backwards, it looks ugly as fuck and isn't really a hard flip

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 11:25:23 PM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
anyone have advice for no comply front shuvs? mine always do a half heelflip.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
if you know how to do a frontside 180 one just try doing that but try to trick your upper body into staying put while your lower body does the motion for the no comply 180. you can learn the weirder flip tricks like inward heels and hardflips the same way.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
if you know how to do a frontside 180 one just try doing that but try to trick your upper body into staying put while your lower body does the motion for the no comply 180. you can learn the weirder flip tricks like inward heels and hardflips the same way.

the only time i land them is when i do exactly what you just described. gotta keep practicing that i guess.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »

I was going to mention, NC front shuvs are a decent way to warm up to learning a normal FS pop shuvit. Because if you don't keep the board in front of you, you're going to hit your front shin.

My back foot is usually angled 45 degrees. Pop lightly in the direction you're going and since your upper body/shoulder is already "opened up" from it being a no comply, the board should almost follow in a FS spin. If you pop in the direction you're going but intentionally scoop more, you'll get close to a no-comply FS 360 shuv.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
Don't scoop, pop them; F/S or B/S popping allows you to:

1) get clearance away from your board (because you jumped)
2) get more time in the air to land bolts

I'm better putting them behind me (blindly) than I am in front of me, but I have been working on them.