Author Topic: back tails on tranny  (Read 7445 times)

abudabi

back tails on tranny
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
anybody know what the trick to these are?

i can do front tails on tranny and back tails on ledges n shit, but i cant figure out how to combine them.

am i wrong thinking that these are way harder than front tails?

N.L.

Re: back tails on tranny
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Way harder than frontside for me. I learned them by doing pivots to tail and then doing it faster and faster until the scoop by-passed the pivot. I still can't really slide them well though...

abudabi

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
decently steep tranny on the quarter you're doing them on?

ive been trying to ollie into it, i do my back tail stalls with an ollie in so it seems more natural.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:25:47 AM »
It's all in the back foot...

Just think about it...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

N.L.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
decently steep tranny on the quarter you're doing them on?

ive been trying to ollie into it, i do my back tail stalls with an ollie in so it seems more natural.

Yeah. I've never really tried ollieing into them. The scoop just seemed more natural and more conducive to making it slide. Ollies into back tail stalls can look amazing though... GT in his welcome to Antihero clip for instance....

abudabi

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
when youre sliding, is all your weight in the pocket where youd scoop for a 3 flip?

N.L.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
Yes but again, I don't slide them very well very often. I'm trying to focus more and backside lip tricks in general...

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
can't do the ollie in kind which look super sick but the scoop kind i can do. learn to stall the scoop style first by just over rotating a back 5 stall and putting all the weight on your tail. once you get those dialed then just hit it with good speed at an angle and the trick is really just throwing your hips\ass into it. it's probably easier to slide to a stop and then drop in at first and then work on dropping back in while still sliding. sometimes it's helps to throw some arms into it when you are coming out regular because you'll be kind of twisted. see @0:28 for how a master does them

John Cardiel - Sight Unseen - TransWorld SKATEboarding

see that, throw the ass into to slide and then untwist with arms to come out

abudabi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
word, thanks sleazy.
ill try it without ollieing in next time im skating a ramp, maybe if i can do that ill understand how to ollie into it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »
No problem man, you got me itching to go try one now

coneklr

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »
my friend does the scoop style and can slide them forever ... he looped this one out but you can see how he does them https://distilleryvesper2-6-a.akamaihd.net/845f3a50f6de11e2844522000a1d1fdc_101.mp4

I myself have to do the ollie in to them.  For me it was easier to learn, I tried the other way for a full day and just couldn't get it.  The other plus about the ollie is that it helps with bank to ledges and such.

I just come up at a 45ish angle and ollie early and turn and aim a foot or two out in the direction I'm heading.  Then ollie and turn the rest of the way to get the tail over coping and then just get all my weight on that back foot.  It usually takes a few times before I can slide them because I have to adjust for how sticky/slick it is.  Hope any of this helps

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »
Aim straight up the transition at it.  Only at the last second you throw your weight along the coping instead of straight into it like a bs tail stall and that lets you slide. 

I think a lot of people first learning it feel like they need to go at more of a parallel angle because of the way ledge bs tails work, but I think it's the opposite.  Aim more perpendicular than you might expect.

abudabi

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
im curious about how steep the ramps you guys do them on are.
do they get way harder on a mellower ramp, cause you have to put more force on the wheels? or is it the same?

thanks for the tips jeremy and coneklr. sounds like you guys do them differently.
i always come at a crazy angle, i try it more straight on like youre saying jeremy. do you do it ollie in or the other way?

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »
Aim straight up the transition at it.  Only at the last second you throw your weight along the coping instead of straight into it like a bs tail stall and that lets you slide.  

I think a lot of people first learning it feel like they need to go at more of a parallel angle because of the way ledge bs tails work, but I think it's the opposite.  Aim more perpendicular than you might expect.
I carve into them like I'm almost parallel to the coping. I can slide back tails really well but I can't do a "stall" for shit.

Different stokes for different folks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:20:45 PM by newhampster »

coneklr

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
im curious about how steep the ramps you guys do them on are.
do they get way harder on a mellower ramp, cause you have to put more force on the wheels? or is it the same?

thanks for the tips jeremy and coneklr. sounds like you guys do them differently.
i always come at a crazy angle, i try it more straight on like youre saying jeremy. do you do it ollie in or the other way?

Np!

Yeah, I feel if you turn in you can go up straighter and still slide fairly easily, I just could never get it to be comfortable for me.  If you ollie in you have to really push the back foot harder I think ( and probably with more force the mellower the tranny although that totally depends on if anyone waxed that shit, which is always the worst )  So I usually take the first few slow to test the waters.

Again the biggest plus of ollieing in, to me anyway, is that if you are on something that isn't transition, or isn't perfect transition ( bank to ledge or whatever ) it is exactly the same motion, where as you can't just turn in.

abudabi

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
word, ollieing in is the goal for sure, but ill take what i can get.
havent skated a good ramp in a while but i should have a chance in the next week or so.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
It was a long learning process for me.  And I mean years.  I learned tail stalls first.  Then learned to squeak little slides.  Then I learned a proper bs tail on a ledge.  Then I was able to put the two skills together and from there they progressed.  Originally I didn't ollie in at all.  I'd still prefer to be able to ollie in better, but it's honestly more of a scoop for me.  It also really depends what you're trying to do them on.  But like I said...years in the making.  Sometime about 3 years ago they just started making way more sense and now I can do them on most things I want to.  But I still have to adapt them to each spot.  Mellow thing are actually harder to slide despite being easier to get into.  Big steep stuff is scary but there's a lot less resistance on the slide if the surface you are sliding is more vertical.  About 3 weeks ago I filmed one on a bowled corner with pretty chunky pool coping and it was uphill as well.  Pool coping requires some pop or the coping will just knock your board away.  Honestly been trying that trick at that spot for over two years now and only just finally did it.  I probably spent an hour trying before I landed one, but once I figured it out I ended doing 10 or so.  It's just one of those tricks you really have to put some serious time into.  But let me tell ya...that feeling of sliding backwards on your tail and riding away is SOOOOOO SATISFYING!  Good luck out there.

coneklr

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »
Fuck yeah jeremyrandall!  That is a great story man!  And you are right, not much feels better on a skateboard then that!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 07:43:47 AM »
It's awfully hard to slide when most of the back tails I've done involve shoe on coping contact.

coneklr

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
It's awfully hard to slide when most of the back tails I've done involve shoe on coping contact.

I have this problem with backsmiths on tranny a lot

straight

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 09:39:01 AM »

abudabi

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
not clicking that, doubt anyone else is either

straight

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
You're loss freckle face

abudabi

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
freckle face? ill have you know that my skin is goddamned beautiful.

straight

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
freckle face? ill have you know that my skin is goddamned beautiful.

Freckle faces are rare and can be very cute.

abudabi

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »
so originally you were just saying i might be cute? word.

coneklr

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »
25:12 of the Vans video Curren Caples has a good example of the ollie into bs tail.