Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47432 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2015

"Heavy stories like these that reach my inbox. Not only of drug and alcohol abuse, but stories relating to bullying and depression. When talking about my program to people they always seem bewildered on what topics I talk about. I always get the 'What on earth do you talk about in your program?' I like to reply 'An over view of global dept and foreign policies.' I speak sarcasm fluently. I cover topics from drug and alcohol awareness, bullying, literacy, education awareness, setting goals, self esteem, suicide prevention, depression, leadership, and character development. I'm a realist that covers many topics and tries to motivate and inspire others to be productive, positive people. A little heavy sounding and maybe cheesy, but it's true. I tell people this is my passion. I bleed for this,. Although being a motivational speaker has never caused me to bleed I certainly can't say that for skateboarding. What can we do to help and reach out? Whether you are a teacher, student, or a construction worker we all have resources of outreach and help." p.99-100, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #331 on: November 11, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2015

"My parents are both my involuntary mentors and my conscious mentors. Mentoring begins in the home and in a child's upbringing. Family encircles us through the early part of life. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, and siblings surround pour days with guidance, serving as mentors in their own right. We then get into school and our teachers and guidance counselors take on the rule of subconscious mentor. With these individuals it's typically later in life when you realize the weight of their influence. Life lessons can be injected into us throughout these impressionable years by those people. It's important to realize it's not just the lessons that are written upon the chalkboard. A good teacher will always use their life experiences to teach lessons. Even something as simple as two plus two equal four. Teachers in my opinion are highly underrated in our society. Their responsibilities are far more than grading papers and collecting chewing gum from the unruly." p.32-33,  Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2015, 08:50:21 AM »
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2015

"Here we were, the total underdogs, competing against another father and son that had height well above us, sported head bands, and clearly had basketball as a part of their daily diet. We put up a good fight but ultimately lost Neither one of us felt like losers. It was an early lesson on defining what a winner or loser is. In our eyes, we had overcome some heavy odds. We left with our second-place trophies and our heads held high, a lesson I would carry on through my days of competing in skateboard competitions." p.32, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2015

"Our society is so judgmental with looks and appearances. It's something that has always troubled me. The idea that someone will completely dismiss a person based on their weight or looks. We live in a world that forgets that human beings all have an internal glow. I've met women that were outwardly attractive to me then after getting to know them they became very unattractive. The inside ingredients of a person's personality comes from the inside. A good trait of a person is not written on their face or by the shape or their body [sic]. A person's intelligence can't be determined by simply their looks. The way a person carries themselves or the characteristics they embody are simply more important then what's on the outside surface." p.85, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:27 AM »
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2015

"A hater will always downplay your success only to feed their own insecurity and jealousy."

"If one hates everyone this includes themselves. Therein lies the problem."

"Education, intelligence and compassion illuminate ignorance." p.75, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2015

"'Doug, I'm gonna bring the students in.' says the school principal from the echoing corridor. The curtain is pulled back, the learning tank gymnasium is now filled. I wait backstage while my ten minute intro video plays upon the screen. I have a serene moment while hearing the collage of sounds that are reflective of the last ten years of my skating career. It's a complete moment I can jump out of myself and reflect on how far I've come and what it took to be standing in this precise moment of time. The absolute euphoria of being in the here and now. In reflective land the video has ended and the principal is reading my credits and I hear, 'Please give a warm welcome to Doug Brown!" The curtain is pulled open. I hear a sea of applause. As I'm walking on the stage each step puts me further in my zone. I'm on. My single mission is to connect and reach every single person. This is it, my Skate Straight presentation, which is one of the most important things I've developed out of my skateboarding. This is where I found my voice, my deeper purpose. Years of being on stage in theater. Years of being in bands and producing my own music. Years of teaching guitar and becoming the mentor. And now years of skateboarding and speaking. I've now spoken to thousands and thousands of kids across the nation." p.92-93, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Rushmore: Max Fischer Extracurricular Activities

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2015

"In Las Vegas, while on one of my many skateboarding adventures, I was in a lobby of a lavish hotel. Having just arrived, I was a little out of sorts from the plane ride, but this woman and her friend struck up a small chat with me. Through some laughs and connections they invite me to have dinner with their friends. My sponsor was paying for all my food and expenses so I figured why not. Dinner happened and it was a social, uplifting evening." p.97, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
NOVEMBER 19, 2015

"A few years back I had received an email from a friend that I went to school with. Her friend's twelve year old nephew, Nino, was badly burnt and was in a children hospital burn unit. Nino lost his younger brother in the fire and the family lost everything he had. Apparently, he was a devoted fan and had seen one of my DVDs through a friend. After some phone calls and emails the family had arranged to pick me up. They drove me an hour to the hospital to surprise him. He had been in the hospital for two weeks by this point. I gave him a load of goodies including t-shirts, stickers, DVDS, skate magazines and one of my old helmets from one of my first big competitions. The last time I wore that helmet I fell twelve feet and split my chin completely open, landing me in the hospital. This slam was of significance to me. It was a wake up call to how easily I could have been critically injured. I told Nino how brave and strong he was after being in the hospital for two weeks and I was only in for one day. I had thirteen stitches put in my chin and thought it was a rough evening in the ER. I commended him for his strength and bravery. I assured him that everything he was going through will make him stronger and to keep his chin up, good things will come his way. Through the hardships in my own life I know how people can bring support and I know it makes a world of difference. Before I left I assured him that one day I will see him again and we'll skate a skate park sometime. Years later, his mother told me of the importance of my visit. It was never forgotten. She told me he spent an hour getting jeans and a shirt on for my arrival. Until this point with his awful burns he was restricted to weeks of wearing the classic hospital gown. Helping Nino that day was more important that any trick I could ever do on a skateboard. Skating demos and doing personal appearances are an important part of my job, however its moments like this that truly matter. I'm blessed to be in a position to give back and to hopefully make a positive impact on someone's life."" p.67, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Bigjilm

• Rep: 5
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
"Dinner happened". Doesn't a writer of Doug's caliber know that use of the passive voice is a no-no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_passive_voice

I'm disappointed in you, Doug.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2015

"'Testing, a one two. Check, check. Testing, one two, check.' I tap the top of the microphone. I twist a couple of knobs on the amplifier, adding a little bass to the sound. Standing on the stage of an old school gymnasium, my voice echoes along the empty glossy cement walls. I press my little CD player that is connected to the old guitar amplifier that I use to use [sic] while in my Jr. high rock band. The music blasts from the hearty little speaker. I click stop. Behind me are two tables filled with magazines I've been in, a handful of my pro skateboard decks, my signature wheels, my first skateboard trophy, the X-Air deodorant that I graced the cover of and a slew of odds and ends from my eventful career. Two banners dress the tables. One is of my latest skateboard sponsors that has my face on it looking back at me. The other is a yellow and black banner the reads [sic], Doug Brown's Skate Straight. A little self pride and nervousness comes from the pit of my stomach. It's the exact feeling I used to get while in theater as a child, moments before I was to meet my audience." p.92, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 2015

"If a parent is in turmoil with their toddler or teenager you will hear a spatter of complaints always faithfully followed by, 'But I love them to pieces and wouldn't trade them for anything.' As a child I asked my father his views on his love for my mother. His reply was soft and sincere, 'DOUG GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE YOU LITTLE SISSY!!!!!'"

Just kidding. That's not how the book goes. The book goes, "His reply was soft and sincere, 'I would lay on railroad tracks in front of an on coming [sic] train if it would have saved her life.' He would sacrifice his life for hers. The word selfish has no place being in the same universe as the concept of true love." p.43, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
This is hilarious and actually kinda cute/sweet/touching. I obviously have never heard of this guy in my life before. I'm far too familiar with the type, though.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 2015

[editor's note: I'm going to take a few days off from this as I'm not working over the holiday. Please remember to give thanks for all that Doug B. has done for you, me, and all of us this Thanksgiving weekend]

"To my surprise I was off and running with my own teaching studio. That job would carry me through ten years of my life. It was key in me learning a lot about people. I was more a therapist than just a guitar instructor. I always managed to get the fingers of the G chord or a requested song, but it was the other dialog that counted. Women would come into my studio and cry and tell me about their problems, or an adolescent would confide in my the dramas of their day. I was becoming a mentor to some and a compassionate ear to others. This was a full on education on people all ages and all races. I had Amish students. I had students with learning disabilities. I taught grandparents, high school teachers and a plethora of unique individuals. Some of my students were on board for years. I would always walk them out after a lesson. I would get to know their family members and friends that would greet them. These years were pivotal in understanding the weight of being a role model and mentor. During this time my heart was in composing music." p18, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #343 on: November 24, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »

I always managed to get the fingers of the G chord. Women would come and cry. This was a full on people all ages and all races. I had Amish. I had learning disabilities, unique individuals. Some were on board. I would get to know their family. These years were pivotal being a model." p18, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Edited this one down to a sexy/rapey cliff note version. Removed words but left them in order and added nothing.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #344 on: November 25, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote

I always managed to get the fingers of the G chord. Women would come and cry. This was a full on people all ages and all races. I had Amish. I had learning disabilities, unique individuals. Some were on board. I would get to know their family. These years were pivotal being a model." p18, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

[close]
Edited this one down to a sexy/rapey cliff note version. Removed words but left them in order and added nothing.

Looks like something out of a rapist version of Rorschach's diary.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #345 on: November 27, 2015, 06:44:30 AM »
Good news!

We can finally estimate Dougs net worth:

http://dougbrownzone.tripod.com/april16invoice.htm

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is brilliant.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2015

"Love it or dislike it we landed on this planet because of these two individuals [ed: our parents]. Even in the non-present parent they still play a role. A non existing [sic] parent still has an affect on an individual's outlook and direction in the world. My mother passing away my sophomore year in high school of course payed a significant role on who I have become. When you lose someone, it's simply as if they have gone away and you will never see them again. It's not just all the moments of wishing they were with you to experience the simple things in life like to watch you graduate from high school or to dance at your wedding, it's the subconscious longing for them to be with you that is underneath your being." p.28, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2015

"I was doing many skate contests and events even before I entered the professional arena. With a sense of humor, I can say normal people don't need the spotlight. Most kids stop playing rock star around the age of five. Artist and performers express inwardly at first, but reach outwardly for the audience, whether it be a painter with his art exhibit or the singer of a band being front and center belting out his notes." p.29, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2015

"These days, people look at the 70s as the good 'ole days, when life was simple and mistakes were not as easy to come by as they are for today's teens who are faced with major issues at a much earlier age than today's adults were. When I was growing up, words like bullying were never brought up in school. The topic was never discussed at all. We had heard of teasing and taunting but were never faced with the multitude of issues of today's youth. Drug use among youth in the 1980's is nothing like it is today. Each decade has its increasing problems and the innovations to get 'high' are never ending. We are primarily beings of feeling more than of thought. Most of our decisions are based on what we feel instinctively. I could explain for hours on why people chose to turn to drugs and substance abuse. I like to explore the alternatives to getting high and the devastating consequences that come from making bad destructive choices. The rewind button is hard to find when making a bad choice. No one wants to live in a pool of regret. I was very fortunate growing up that I wasn't surrounded by drugs or alcohol abuse. If your father has a beer with his pizza, that does not make him an alcoholic. The fact is, alcohol is not illegal and can be consumed responsibly." p.94-95, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2015

"Everyone's definition of love is different. The concept of love is similar to that of religion. Both can be interpreted in a thousand different ways. A concept derived from faith. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Love is in the soul of the beholder. Trying to define love is an interesting notion on its own. It'w worth exploring, but the foundation of love begins within. There is truth in the saying that to love others you must love yourself. Your own self worth and self esteem can play a role in your ability to love and respect others." p.42, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2015

"My 'Skate Straight' program was inspired from an influential 1978 television documentary, 'Scared Straight.' In the show, rebellious teens on a path of destruction were introduced to seasoned inmates, eager to show the teens where they would end up if they didn't straighten up and get control of their lives. The inmates were able to have a positive influence on the kids just using the power of words." p.94, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
MONDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2015

"We must live through experiences that allow us to better understand others and situations. Our brains need to be fed by our teachers, mentors and role models. This proves the significance of these people. Outside of the family and teachers we have my favorite group; the entertainers. This group seems to have the biggest grip on our youth more so today than ever. The power of a singer, an actor, an athlete, or a musician is considerable. Throughout my childhood this group had zenith proportions of influence in my life. My dad was a role model, but I never wanted to become a doctor. My teacher was a mentor, but I never aspired to be a teacher." p.33-34, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2015

"The hardest part in seeking help is that initial first step. It can take courage to face a problem, but the worst thing you can do is ignore it. Whether you are depressed, have a drinking problem, are being bullied at school; whatever your dilemma is it's important you talk to someone. Your most reliable sources will be people like parents, school counselors, teachers, or relatives. If you are in need of professional help going to a therapist, rehab, or a specialty institution can have lasting positive effects. Again, it's the courage to get help that will save you in the long run. It can take a lot of trust to reach out for help. People like parents or teachers have most likely been in a similar position at one time in their lives and can be a source of comfort and advice in seeking help." p.100, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2015, 04:51:18 AM »
You should never hug the rapist.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2015

"So here I was thrust into all this by a fluke, pure chance. I had my agent from pursuing my music endeavors so I was stocked going into the gate. Already with some paying sponsors under my belt, I had her stop calling record companies and we switched gears to skateboard companies and everything in between. I had some major breaks with some companies that put my name out there during the following years. I had a signature pro skateboard model that was selling well in skate shops across the globe. To date, I've had eleven pro models. I had my face on deodorant sticks that were sold in big national store chains. I was skating and doing commentary on Fuel TV. In my travels i was doing radio and TV interviews including NBC's Good Company Today Show. I got to participate in the Gravity Games and the AST Dew Tour. I not only was I skating and signing autographs alongside some of my childhood heroes, I was establishing friendships with them as well. It was surreal." p.21, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2015, 08:45:21 AM »
You'd think if they were trying for a Back to the Future gag, they'd go with a Doc Brown thing over fucking 'Doug Brown to the Future'. What does that even mean? You can't read that without immediately thinking of shit. A Delorean leaving two big streaks of shit down the street when it hits 88mph. Brown to the Future. Fucksake. Fuck off.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:56:25 AM by Tenterhooks »
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:44 AM »
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2015

"Being a part of the organization Athletes for Hope, I enter hospitals to visit terminally ill children. Athletes for Hope was founded in 2006 and launched publicly in 2007 by tennis pro Andre Agassi and a sea of other athletes. Being involved in sports philanthropy is to inspire people  and to support community and charitable organizations. AFH recognizes the important connection between athletes and fans thus creating possibilities to connect the two. They are booking agents of sorts and I'm honored to be an all star member. Visiting these kids is very inspiring to me. They are worthy heroes. I've visited so many kids throughout the nation and I never forget their faces or their stories. Each has a spark of being special and moving." p.67, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2015
"The hardest part in seeking help is that initial first step. It can take courage to face a problem, but the worst thing you can do is ignore it. Whether you are depressed, have a drinking problem, are being bullied at school; whatever your dilemma is it's important you talk to someone. Your most reliable sources will be people like parents, school counselors, teachers, or relatives. If you are in need of professional help going to a therapist, rehab, or a specialty institution can have lasting positive effects. Again, it's the courage to get help that will save you in the long run. It can take a lot of trust to reach out for help. People like parents or teachers have most likely been in a similar position at one time in their lives and can be a source of comfort and advice in seeking help." p.100, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Doug wouldn't know this, but the best person to talk to about your problems is your drug dealer.