Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47493 times)

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #361 on: December 11, 2015, 02:43:24 AM »
Just got a new sponsor!

https://ripclear.com/meet-doug-brown/

There is a move I call the DB Helicopter which I perform a lot. It’s a move where I extend my body to the floor with one and and my other hand spins the board 720 degrees landing it on my feet and I roll away.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #362 on: December 11, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
How does he stay so humble?
Also sexy cliff notes version
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2015

"Hope I enter terminally ill children. Hope publicly. the important connection creating possibilities to connect the two. I'm honored to be an all star member. Visiting these kids is very inspiring to me. They are worthy heroes. I've visited so many kids throughout the nation and I never forget their faces or their stories. Each has a spark of being special and moving." p.67, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
Stinkbug transfer bail shot!!! YES! Run that shit!
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3326
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2015

"Last year, I received a concerning email from a young man. I had seen him a couple times at the same indoor skate park in my home state. It was obvious he had his own style and se always talked about being original with our skateboarding. His email started with 'I'm thinking of quitting skateboarding.' He was being bullied. The other skaters were poking fun at his tricks. They were discouraging him from skating the way he wanted to. The depression underneath the paragraph was apparent. To me this wasn't just about skateboarding. Although, it sickens me that something representing freedom and creativity has a population of people conforming and not accepting diversity in people. When I got into skating at the age of twelve it was to be an individual, to be part of something that had no rules or creative limitations. Being a big advocate of keeping skateboarding creative I encouraged him to never stop and to focus on what skating does for him personally. We should never change ourselves because someone or a group wants us to conform to their narrow definition of what cool is." p.82, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
So much awesome stuff on DBs site http://www.dougbrownskate.com/

New book and DVD boxset! Also:

MOST MEMORABLE SKATE MOMENTS:
Winning my first skateboarding competition in 1987 YMCA
Skating the 2002 - 2004 Summer Gravity Games
Eastern Supply Open House Demo NC 2004
Progressive Skatepark Appearance Atlanta 2004
Doing MC at Fuel Channel's Get Hook-T Up Tour 04
Texas Fort Bliss Military Base Demos March 2005
Canada Newfoundland tour July 2006
Skate Straight Hometown visit Jan. 2008
TV appearance on Good Co. Today Show on NBC May 2010
Dancing on stage with Prince at the LA Forum May 2011
Vans Warped Tour Summer 2011
Being the theme of the nationally ranked soccer team
the Lady Mustangs for their 2013 season.
Hosting Quotal Idol June 2013
Speaker at Palace Theater HS commencement 2013
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:25:10 AM by iKobrakai »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
The next 10 entries are going to be a series over the next couple of weeks or so as they're a long-ass story that I don't have time to type all at once.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2015

Part 1 of 10

""A friend of mine recommended I check out the documentary Murderball. It is a film about paraplegics who play full-contact rugby in wheelchair. The USA team overcomes unimaginable obstacles to compete in the Paralympic Games in Athens, Greece. Staring in the Academy Award nominated documentary is Mark Zupan. After watching the documentary I was moved and educated on paraplegics. The mental strength of these men and the stories they shared were inspiring." p.69, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2015

Part 2 of 10

"Little did I know that in the next two weeks I would receive a call from my agent. She told me there was a sixteen year old in the intensive care unit at Akron Children's Hospital in Ohil that I was to visit, Michael Cantu. Both Michael and his classmate were big fans of mine. His friend was aware of my work with Athletes for Hope. He contacted my agent and my agent contacted the Cantu family. Thus the connection was made to visit Michael immediately. Upon talking to his father, it was established the visit would be a surprise. I would be seeing him on the one week anniversary of his accident. Michael sustained a very serious neck injury on the evening of August 22nd, 2011 at a gymnastics training facility. He broke four vertebrae in his neck and had significant spinal cord damage. He had some movement in both his left and right arms and even felt a little pressure in one of his legs but that was it. Till this point Michael had an average of twenty visitors a day to visit him. Michael had a lust for life. He was very active with sports and a social life that flourished with friends." p.69-70, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: December 15, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2015

Part 2 of 10

"Little did I know that in the next two weeks I would receive a call from my agent. She told me there was a sixteen year old in the intensive care unit at Akron Children's Hospital in Ohil that I was to visit, Michael Cantu. Both Michael and his classmate were big fans of mine. His friend was aware of my work with Athletes for Hope. He contacted my agent and my agent contacted the Cantu family. Thus the connection was made to visit Michael immediately. Upon talking to his father, it was established the visit would be a surprise. I would be seeing him on the one week anniversary of his accident. Michael sustained a very serious neck injury on the evening of August 22nd, 2011 at a gymnastics training facility. He broke four vertebrae in his neck and had significant spinal cord damage. He had some movement in both his left and right arms and even felt a little pressure in one of his legs but that was it. Till this point Michael had an average of twenty visitors a day to visit him. Michael had a lust for life. He was very active with sports and a social life that flourished with friends." p.69-70, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2015

Part 3 of 10

"Arriving at the hospital I made my way through the winding halls to the intensive care unit. I was looking pro skater like with my shiny new skateboard in hand. I approached the nurse behind the busy desk and began to tell her who I was. Before I could get my last name out she smiled and said, 'You must be the skateboarder.* Hold on, I will call down Michael's father.' I see Mr. Cantu in a black jump suit making his way down the hall. In a whisper fashion, he tells me how excited Michael will be. His fists are clamped and he has a kinetic energy about him. In a giddy manner he jumps up and down. Right away I know this will be something special and his father may be more excited about this than he will be. Both parents have been his cheerleader every second of this long frazzled week. His father has been by his side since the arrival that fateful night. Mr. Cantu is the dad of all dads. He is an author and accomplished musician. Creativity is part of his being and no doubt bleeds through his ability to be a father. As we continue to walk towards his room the dialog of excitement builds. 'Thank you for coming I can't thank you enough for doing this!' still in the whisper fashion of excitement." p.70, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

* actual photo of the nurse at the hospital:

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2015, 02:26:39 PM »
"I was looking pro skater like with my shiny new skateboard in hand" Indeed...

I know that Dougs "agent" asked Slap to remove all photos of him in another thread, shouldn´t they go apeshit over all these quotes from his book?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2015

Part 4 of 10

"Taking a sharp left, I enter the room to where Michael's eyes are wide as can be saying 'Oh wow. Man, dude, thanks for coming, wow, oh man.' Instant good vides from Michael. You know when you first meet someone and they have that quality of instant friendship? That's how I felt with him. No dead air, no awkward silence. We got all the obvious necessities of the conversation out of the way. He gave me the go ahead to talk about how he landed in this position and what the status was. Mentally, Michael was doing amazing. He had a great attitude and positive outlook. As he told one of the physicians 'I got myself into this mess and I need to get myself out of it.' His positive attitude has been an inspiration to everyone. I laid it on pretty thick about how the power of his mind will save him indeed. We talked for well over an hour about the power of hope and the foundation of positive thinking. He didn't miss a beat. He was in the moment." p.70-71, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2015

Part 5 of 10

"A week ago, he was able to run across the room or pick up a pencil. This day, his mind was the sole power of where he was going to go It's a true test of human being. Mid way through the visit, a nurse came in to check on things. Face to face nearly touching noses with Michael the nurse asks if he needs anything. After she leaves, I way 'Does the killing you with kindness overkill drive you crazy?' He replies with relief 'Yes! You have no idea! Yes.' Continuing talking with him Mr. Cantu interrupts our dialog 'This guy gets it (referring to me) he just gets it.' I reply 'I try. We can never know what it's like to be in Michael's position, but we can try to understand.' It's easier to empathize with someone that has a broken foot or a splitting headache. This was on a level that no one could imagine unless they've experienced it first hand. He even spoke of the cute nurses that would come to his aid if he needed a drink of water or the change of a TV channel. The wheels were already turning quickly with Michael and his father. Mr. Cantu was busy doing research on his phone and laptop finding high tech ways for quadriplegics to use computers and function in this world." p.71, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2015, 08:52:45 AM »
MONDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2015

Part 6 of 10

"I brought my normal supplies of freebies, including posters, but I figured the audio version of my book containing three DCS would be a good match for entertainment for him. Both father and son were pleased. In addition, I brought the DVD documentary of Murderball. I knew Michael would connect with the star of the film Mark Zupan. Both athletes were aggressive men with their eye on the ball. In this case Michael's eye is on his future and to tackle what we take for granted. Our lives can change in the blink of an eye." p.71-72, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; DB Helicopter

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #374 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »
His name is Brown, Douglas.

Is this dude a pathological liar? Or did all this stuff happen in the Off-Broadway of skateboarding? I'd never heard of this dude until the Slap message boards.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2015, 02:47:57 AM »
His name is Brown, Douglas.

Is this dude a pathological liar? Or did all this stuff happen in the Off-Broadway of skateboarding? I'd never heard of this dude until the Slap message boards.

Basically it´s a middle class white dude so desperate to be famous he´ll do anything to promote himself. I detect crazy amounts of ego and pedophilia. Doug is super engaged in philanthropy, as long as you pay for it, (for info contact [email protected]) and making "The best of" compilations of his music, skating and speaking. I kind of feel sorry for the dude, Todd Falcon has at least some humor about his selfmade pro skater path, Doug takes the whole thing seriously. Doug is kind of sad but I will still laugh at him.

Watsons take on Doug:

http://www.hookit.com/members/youwillsoon/news/straight-from-the-pedastool/

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: December 22, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2015

Part 7 of 10

"After signing a couple of his posters and taking some photos it was time to leave. This visit lasted longer than my usual hospital visits. We were fluent in Star Wars, music and pop culture conversation. Mr. Cantu is in a band. Their house has the drum set and all the toys it takes for a good jam session*. I assured them both that there will be a reunion soon, along with a jam session on guitars. The maturity, strength, and optimism Michael had was truly remarkable. There was a reciprocal understanding in our conversations that no matter what happens in the future this isn't the end. His life can take many different directions, but his state of mind and amazing resources will be key in his journey." p.72, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* Jam session in progress:

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: December 22, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
I'll be disappearing for a few days for the Christmas holiday. Next week you'll get the exciting conclusion of this exciting 10 part story. I know I'm excited.

Stay straight, guys an' gals, and have a very Brown Christmas.

GAY

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #378 on: December 22, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »
I'll be disappearing for a few days for the Christmas holiday. Next week you'll get the exciting conclusion of this exciting 10 part story. I know I'm excited.

Stay straight, guys an' gals, and have a very Brown Christmas.

GAY
Bye GAY, have a happy holiday.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #379 on: December 22, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
Didn't realise Doug had an Instagram: instagram.com/dougbrownskate

EDIT: I'd rather watch Doug Brown push.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:16:50 PM by Tenterhooks »
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #380 on: December 22, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Stinkbug transfer bail shot!!! YES! Run that shit!
LOL there was 2

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: December 28, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
DECEMBER 28, 2015

Part 8 of 10

"The father's love for his son was something to see. He is surrounded by many friends and a family that loves him. For me, all I could give were my words of encouragement and support along with bringing a smile into the room. I had entered the room as the pro skater guy and left being a friend to him and his father. I left with a sense of fulfillment and pride to see that already a week into this tragic dilemma they were going in full force with optimism being center stage." p.72, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: December 29, 2015, 09:00:33 AM »
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 29, 2015

Part 9 of 10

"Through lots of physical therapy, Michael went to the Metro Health Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Center. Over time he has become able to use his knuckles to change songs on his music player. He has become a hero to many throughout his school and community. Local media has been helping the family's efforts to raise money. Friends of the Cantus' and Michael's classmates have hosted fund raisers along with selling tee shirts and wristbands to help with expenses. After spending one hundred and fifty seven days in a hospital/skilled nursing facility, Michael finally made it home sweet home. He is back in school, with his new chair." p.72-73, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: December 30, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30, 2015

Part 10 of 10

"Michael's story is far from over. I told him he was alike a brand new car with a strong battery. His mind is the computer of his system that is beyond remarkable. The mind is capable of miraculous achievement. We are all on that road with our minds behind the wheel taking us to our survival and happiness." p.73, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #384 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »

Part 10 of 10

"Michael's story is far from over. I told him he was alike a brand new car with a strong battery. His mind is the computer of his system that is beyond remarkable. The mind is capable of miraculous achievement. We are all on that road with our minds behind the wheel taking us to our survival and happiness." p.73, Looking Glass Self: Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Whoa! So he didn't make this kid up? Amazing research GAY, mind blown.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Expand Quote

Part 10 of 10

[close]
Whoa! So he didn't make this kid up? Amazing research GAY, mind blown.

Have to say I was surprised myself. Was worried I'd find a story about his death or something. Go Micheal! #teamcantu

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Ladies and gents,

I've had enough DB Helicopter to last a lifetime, so I'm going to give it a rest for a while. The entire book has been reflected upon save for a sentence or two, and I think I've got enough of Doug's wisdom in me to last for at least a month...maybe even a month and a half.

It's been fun, but to be honest I'm completely over Mr. Brown.

Maybe I'll start a new book in 2017.

Love all y'all.

GAY

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2016, 10:59:36 PM »
In reflection it's safe to say Doug is totally delusional. Almost a sane maniac, someone you want to punch but just can't. Doug stands alone in his version of professional skateboarding, noone else could do what he did. If you set his book on fire noone would blame you

Tay

« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:01 PM »
Awe, shucks. Thanks for the comic relief gay, you're the best.   ;D

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
"Beyond the board" (about 2/3 of the book) link on Google books:

https://books.google.se/books?id=lb4G5etFFJEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=doug+brown&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHj-qA3ZLKAhUHhSwKHTbRDRIQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=doug%20brown&f=false

I got through the whole thing. Some pages are missing, but youll get the idea.