Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47420 times)

Beeda Weeda

Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 03:46:31 AM »
moar

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »
MONDAY, MAY 11, 2015

"At school I was Doug the performer, not Doug the student. I embraced that I was doing something different than my peers. I developed my sense of self very early on. Putting my dreams into action was never out of reach in my mind. I had the feeling that anything was possible if I put my mind to it." p. 16 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

straight

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
How does he stay so humble?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
"Putting my dreams into action was never out of reach in my mind."

Amazing.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
As a young man, Doug must have dabbled in self-help/ motivational tapes. Any mention of this in the book Gay?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »
As a young man, Doug must have dabbled in self-help/ motivational tapes. Any mention of this in the book Gay?

More will B revealed, my friend.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2015

"Fast forward to the summer of 2002. I'm driving around my hometown and find myself parked in the Best Buy parking lot. On the radio is an advertisement for the Gravity Games. The Gravity Games were a multi-extreme sport competition that were headed to Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland was only an hours drive away so without hesitation I took the following day off of work to head to the metropolis to watch the action.
     Your life is made up of small moments that in retrospect end up being huge moments. That day became one of those days. While watching the pros warming up on the skate ramp every fiber in my pro-active being was alive. I couldn't just stand there and watch the warmup. I headed back to the parking garage. My gear was always in tow as I was riding skate parks in all my travels. I was looking pretty serious with my helmet and appropriate attire. I approached the ramp. A security woman with clipboard in hand approached me. 'Your name sir,' she said. 'I'm Doug Brown just here to warm up.' I replied. Looking up and down her paper with a slight fluster she said, 'Oh I know who you are go ahead.'" p. 19-20 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
I fucking knew it, all this time I assumed he just showed up and never was officially in the games and I'm glad it's confirmed from the man himself. I bet the real story was that he snuck into to skate.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

shark tits

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
my exwife and i snuck into the 2002 gravity games in cleveland at the rock hall. had my board but no 'official gear in tow' so i didn't get to skate around. they had a little skatepark setup that looked fun and all the big stuff the pros were skating in the contest. caine gayle did a kf back lip on a flatbar and koston was a million times better than everyone.
i regret my hesitation now like my buddy who could've but didn't extinguish the olympic torch in LA. i could've been doug brown. alas.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »
no words can explain how much I love doug.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:30 AM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 13, 2015

"Skate Straight* has been performed at schools, libraries, churches, detention centers, rehab facilities, camps, community events, skateboard competitions and even military bases. This program is my baby, my crown jewel. There are videos throughout my production and a decorated set complete with cones, a backdrop and luggage. It has all the bells and whistles of theater, but truly there is one element that embodies the performance. My voice. My voice and a microphone is all I need. I reach from the depths of my life's experiences. My morals and values and philosophies for finding your true self. Putting your dreams into actions and living a drug free life. I steer from being too preachy or standard. I speak from the heart, never subjecting my audience to statistics or sterile power point presentations. I relive some of the hardest moments of my life, including the tragic death of my mother. To the resounding highs of my life, reliving the opening night of the tour with the Newsboys skating in front of twenty-thousand people. All while integrating lessons of impact. Hope, optimism and purpose are at the forefront. Character development, making good choices, and putting your dreams into action join the ranks." p. 93 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* Skate Straight info:
How Do I Keep My Ankles Straight When I Skate - Why Do My Ankles Lean Inwards Ice Hockey Skates

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »
We should thank our lucky stars that Jesus Christ of Nazareth blessed us with the good fortune to be touched by, nay... fondled by such literary prowess and insightful expressions of the mind, heart and balls. 

Recently, WWW hosted their annual member ceremonies at the local Wooster Cracker Barrel off of 13th and Ward.  As Doug Brown was presented his WWW Fruit of the Loom size XXL t-shirt as a symbol of his ascension to greatness, the hushed whispers that spread across the room indicated that some might have questioned his worthiness to whom I proclaim, bliss this unwind all over your face...

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 05:03:11 AM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 13, 2015

"Skate Straight* has been performed at schools, libraries, churches, detention centers, rehab facilities, camps, community events, skateboard competitions and even military bases. This program is my baby, my crown jewel. There are videos throughout my production and a decorated set complete with cones, a backdrop and luggage. It has all the bells and whistles of theater, but truly there is one element that embodies the performance. My voice. My voice and a microphone is all I need. I reach from the depths of my life's experiences. My morals and values and philosophies for finding your true self. Putting your dreams into actions and living a drug free life. I steer from being too preachy or standard. I speak from the heart, never subjecting my audience to statistics or sterile power point presentations. I relive some of the hardest moments of my life, including the tragic death of my mother. To the resounding highs of my life, reliving the opening night of the tour with the Newsboys skating in front of twenty-thousand people. All while integrating lessons of impact. Hope, optimism and purpose are at the forefront. Character development, making good choices, and putting your dreams into action join the ranks." p. 93 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* Skate Straight info:
How Do I Keep My Ankles Straight When I Skate - Why Do My Ankles Lean Inwards Ice Hockey Skates

How would you possibly coordinate cones, backdrop, and luggage at the same time?  This guy is a miracle worker. 

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »
THURSDAY, MAY 14, 2015

"Now the singer of Duran Duran*, Simon LeBon, that was a whole different story. In grade school I would emulate his dance moves from their rock videos. I'd slick my hair back and sport aviator sunglasses to match their guitarist, Andy Taylor. Their posters would grace the walls of my bedroom. I even had the Duran Duran board game, Into The Arena**. I was buying the rock magazines and cutting pictures out that lined my book covers. All elements supporting my strong desire to maybe one day be famous or be in the spotlight. This band and many others were planting the seeds of inspiration I much needed during this time." p. 34 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Anand Bhatt - Bachata Duran Duran

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
definitely just looked that game up on ebay.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
I've been lurking and haven't been able to thank you GAY for these inspirational passages. Thanks for bring Doug Brown into my life.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
Just saw this on Doug's insta, I can't tell what trick he is doing.

Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »
One thing that honestly confuses me: with all the time Doug puts into marketing himself as a skateboarder, why doesn't he ever just bite the bullet and learn how to skate better? Seriously, an hour a day would make a world of difference.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »

Maybe turning half-cab to rock?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »
One thing that honestly confuses me: with all the time Doug puts into marketing himself as a skateboarder, why doesn't he ever just bite the bullet and learn how to skate better? Seriously, an hour a day would make a world of difference.

the thing that confuses me most is that he once filmed a fakie flip over a bench. that is a legit trick

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM »
I developed my sense of self

,that's where the Buddhist or David Hume think you've gone wrong.

dillanharp

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »

Fucking killing it, that's what he's doing.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2015

"I remember the first time I met a professional skateboarder when I was a teenager. My grandparents took a friend and I to the neighboring town to see a skateboard demonstration. Being seated front row center, skateboarder Fred Smith's* board flew off the ramp directly into my shin. Grabbing his board and hiding the shin pain I handed him the skateboard. 'Thanks kid' he said. Yup that's it, two words, but I was ecstatic. I just had an interaction with a real professional skateboarder. Something so minuscule yet profound. It's laughable to an outsider, but as a teenager fresh to the skate world this was huge! Now I've done countless skateboard demonstrations across the nation and numerous events with my skateboard. I've completely been on the other end where a kid is handing me my skateboard or asking for an autograph. That individual will get my respect and I will always make sure something so little is a positive transaction. When someone asks me for my autograph I always ask for their name. I address them by name and some sort of dialog transpires. Nothing heavy or earth shattering, just a little not that says, "Hey kid, I'm no different than you. We are all the same. I'm not some famous actor or rock star, I'm just a lucky guy who fell into this as a fluke." p.35 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* Fred Smith

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »
thank you Doug, you have provided me inspiration to live another day

Gay, I love you.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »

Nose wheelie pivot from flat? Maybe a failed attempt at a nosegrind?

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
Today on Doug's insta he posted this picture with the caption "On the road today randomly looking up and seeing a signed poster of myself from 2009. #dougbrown #roadtrip #outandabout #autographs #quonsethut #hottopic www.dougbrownskate.com"

I decided to look what Quosnet Hut is and it's some smoke/skate/adult shop in Ohio but it's mainly a smoke shop. I wish I could of seen how Doug reacted when walking past the smoke/adult section. I bet he was trembling with fear and temptation. Also I love the Green Day American Idiot sweatshirt he's been rocking, definitely made for dudes in their mid thirties. 

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
next time im drunk im going to post on dougs instagram saying " thank you for giving me the courage to come out of the closet because you are my favorite pro and seeing you over come to discrimination it comes with being a gay skateboarder really inspired me #dougbrownsoty1999"

shark tits

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
next time im drunk im going to post on dougs instagram saying " thank you for giving me the courage to come out of the closet because you are my favorite pro and seeing you over come to discrimination it comes with being a gay skateboarder really inspired me #dougbrownsoty1999"
tobey, you're a wolf in homosexuals' clothing.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2015, 04:56:32 AM »
I really want to write something sassy on the Doug Instagram, but I wan tit to be perfect because I know he will ban me immediately.
busey said he banned him for one reason another, but busey is a bad boy

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
MONDAY, MAY 18, 2015

"I've become that guy Doug Brown, the brand, the man. When people see me it's always 'Hi, Doug Brown.' I prefer just Doug. I'm just a simple guy." p.22 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown