Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47416 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
"Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
I recently came across Doug Brown's books and I noticed a similarity in tone to the stuff I've read procured from the "Self Help" section of my local Barnes 'n' Nobles. His work is about improving one's life, and I think all of us can agree that this is a "good thing". It gives me a lot to think about and take with me through the day and it's become an important part of my daily meditation regiment.

I've decided to use this thread as a sort of "repository of nowness" for everyone hanging out in this forum. Each day, I'll drop one of Doug's quotes up in here to be used as a sort of touchstone for starting your day. A place to come, focus, and then go out and be "other".

Doug's book, "Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within", was published in 2012. A lot has happened between then and now, but the timeless nature of the wisdom contained therein has got to be good for at least another six years or so. And judging from the rave reviews online, I'm not the first to have been impressed by his unique insight regarding this big blue marble we call Earth and this crazy thing we call life.

My hope is that it will give all of you the same boost in transformative morale, impactful spirituality, incentivized vigor, actionable sexuality, seamless spunk, synergistic can-do and disruptive nowness that it's given to me.

In no way am I taking credit for any of the quotes I'll submit here on a regular basis. This is Doug's work, and I'm simply bringing it to a wider audience. Although I haven't been given permission from Doug to quote his work here, I can't imagine there being any issue. I'm only quoting his work the way I'd quote Einstein, Neitzsche, Maya Angelou, Martin (both the comedian and the fantasy/fiction writer), or Abercrombie & Fitch.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:32:25 AM by GAY »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »
TUESDAY, APRIL 21, 2015

"It really is all we have, the here and now. This single moment in time. Embrace it, cherish it, enjoy it. In life we tend to invest so much time in all the what if's and the shoulda, coulda, wouldas." - p. 11 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:26:58 AM by GAY »

Bigjilm

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
That's fucking beautiful. And so true.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
please make this a sticky thread.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »
please make this a sticky thread.

ABD.

I recently came across Doug Brown's book...

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:52 AM »
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22, 2015

"When does the point of a dream become reality? Do we dream solely with our eyes closed in the midst of the night? Where does the energy to put a dream into action come from? These are questions that come from the mind. Imagination is more important than knowledge in the birth of a dream." - p.50 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
THURSDAY, APRIL 23, 2015

"My skateboarding is judged a great deal of the time while I'm at public skate parks. I have many stories but I don't think I can beat the one where I was told I'm better than myself. I'm skating my favorite half pipe at an indoor skate park near my hometown. After a few runs on the ramp this adolescent skater approaches me with his thoughts 'Man you're really good. You look like Doug Brown but you skate way better than him.' I replied with 'Ya he's a sell-out.' I continue skating with a strange satisfaction. Later in the passing moments he was rejoined with his friends with a slight look of embarrassment. After his friends telling him who I was I completed the dialog assuring him it was fine. We had a good laugh and a good future story to tell. So apparently that day I was better than myself at skateboarding." - p. 82 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
He never stops learning about himself

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
Not only has Doug brown touched the hearts of you, me and the whole SLAP community.

Doug Brown has touched this entire soccer team

ableSkateMag.com

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
Not only has Doug brown touched the hearts of you, me and the whole SLAP community.

Doug Brown has touched this entire soccer team

Somebody needs to tell ms.boopz that it's "you're", not "your". smh

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
She wants Doug to put the 'E' into her possessive pronoun.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »

pssssh...women are such slutz

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »

Doug tells all his fans "You're my awesome." So we always sign 'your awesome' when addressing the Doug.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
THURSDAY, APRIL 23, 2015

"My skateboarding is judged a great deal of the time while I'm at public skate parks. I have many stories but I don't think I can beat the one where I was told I'm better than myself. I'm skating my favorite half pipe at an indoor skate park near my hometown. After a few runs on the ramp this adolescent skater approaches me with his thoughts 'Man you're really good. You look like Doug Brown but you skate way better than him.' I replied with 'Ya he's a sell-out.' I continue skating with a strange satisfaction. Later in the passing moments he was rejoined with his friends with a slight look of embarrassment. After his friends telling him who I was I completed the dialog assuring him it was fine. We had a good laugh and a good future story to tell. So apparently that day I was better than myself at skateboarding." - p. 82 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
Holy shit this is inspiring. I'm totally gonna work to be "better than myself" today.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »
Expand Quote
THURSDAY, APRIL 23, 2015

[close]
Holy shit this is inspiring. I'm totally gonna work to be "better than myself" today.

it warms the heart to know that every "adolescent skater" has both heard of and can recognize doug

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

"In the 1990s skateboarding became a desolate passing fad. I kept skating for fun and fitness. I never stopped. I remember while having dinner at the local Pizza Hut seeing some of my old skate buddies. They asked if I still skated, to which I replied, 'Of course. When we said skate or die I meant it.' They continued with their meal having maniacal laughs under their breath. Well, I got the last laugh." p. 52 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

"In the 1990s skateboarding became a desolate passing fad. I kept skating for fun and fitness. I never stopped. I remember while having dinner at the local Pizza Hut seeing some of my old skate buddies. They asked if I still skated, to which I replied, 'Of course. When we said skate or die I meant it.' They continued with their meal having maniacal laughs under their breath. Well, I got the last laugh." p. 52 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS ASSHOLE MAKE A LIVING
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

[close]

That's what I find inspiring about Doug - You can have a career doing what you love though you're not very good at what you love.

Just self-promote the shit out of yourself. 

summertimebluesdaddy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

[close]

[close]

That's what I find inspiring about Doug - You can have a career doing what you love though you're not very good at what you love.

By eating at pizza hut
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
The more I read these the more I'm convinced that Doug writes his own reviews.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

[close]

[close]

[close]
By eating at pizza hut

You really get what's going on, I'm thinking you're a full grown baby genius

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
he just gained another follower on instagram

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 06:10:11 AM »
FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2015

Don't like to question Doug, but how do you laugh maniacally under your breath? Other than that, text book, life affirming stuff as usual.
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
Doug Brown didn't have skate buddies.

Also, it would be nice to run his book through Turnitin or something, just to check how original his "thoughts" are...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
GAY, please tell me you aren't taking the weekends off. I can't go a day without a DB quote now.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »
GAY, please tell me you aren't taking the weekends off. I can't go a day without a DB quote now.

same  :(

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same  :(

Sorry fellas. I'll try to get that kink in this spiritual flow we got going on here worked out.

Back to nowness!

MONDAY, APRIL 27, 2015

"I grew up in the theater. The spotlight was my friend before I could do the ABC's. The talent shows in grade school were the quintessential day of every year for me. Through junior high the bands I was in got me on a stage performing. Through high school writing and performing my own music was my outlet of expression yet still on a stage of some sort. Even after I graduated, I continued my musical efforts which landed me again under cameras or on stage. Even through my skateboarding I, by default, found myself on ramps which were a substitute for a stage." p. 28/29 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
keep on doug'n everybody
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.