Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47421 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »
TUESDAY, MAY 28, 2015

"Story after story I receive in my travels and once again I deposit them into my piggy bank of self worth. It's not about the items I've given out or even the autographs. It's the gift of inspiring. Making someone else feel worthy and special gives you a purpose. Doing a positive gesture for another person whether it be big or small, still contributes to the the (sic) betterment of mankind. Being a mentor and role model you are, in a sense, a teacher. Your lessons affect your students or admirers." p. 36 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

abudabi

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
we missed a whole month of doug quotes? ...bro?!

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
we're all just dust in the wind bro.......
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
we missed a whole month of doug quotes? ...bro?!

Time bends and sways on a whim when you're looking at your Looking Glass Self.

Not going to fix it because it shows just how much of Doug's help I need but...sorry.

abudabi

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
apology accepted, i think we all get a little lost in doug's world sometimes ya know

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
GAY, please tell me you aren't taking the weekends off. I can't go a day without a DB quote now.
[close]

same�  :(
[close]

Sorry fellas. I'll try to get that kink in this spiritual flow we got going on here worked out.

Back to nowness!

MONDAY, APRIL 27, 2015

"I grew up in the theater. The spotlight was my friend before I could do the ABC's. The talent shows in grade school were the quintessential day of every year for me. Through junior high the bands I was in got me on a stage performing. Through high school writing and performing my own music was my outlet of expression yet still on a stage of some sort. Even after I graduated, I continued my musical efforts which landed me again under cameras or on stage. Even through my skateboarding I, by default, found myself on ramps which were a substitute for a stage." p. 28/29 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
living on a lighted stage approaches the unreal, for those who think and feel, in touch with some reality, beyond the gilded cage dude...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:30:01 AM by Dirtymac »
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29, 2015

"There is a difference in tooting your own horn and having pride. I never went to college. I chose a tough road of uncertainty. I've had lots of money, I've had no money. I've had amazing times, I've had awful times. I've had great relationships, I've had bad relationships. I've been loved, I've been hated. I've been through the rumor mills and have often been misunderstood. Everything I've been through has made me vulnerable and human. I have no regrets. Even the hard times my parents put me through in my adolescence. All these elements make up who I am today, my center, my nucleus." p. 23 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
THURSDAY, APRIL 30, 2015

"There is magic in motion. There is energy in change. There is something in all of us to make a difference in anyway (sic), everyday" - p. 59 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »
This is why I love you gay.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »
 :D

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
Doug Brown is undoubtedly the quintessential poser

but can any of us really be aught but what we are? 

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »
I love that he's such a shitty writer.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2015

"Coming home from a late dinner on the final day of January, I pulled into my cold driveway. I do a double take while exiting my car to see a large beagle dog underneath my neighbor's vehicle. Kneeling down for a closer look the dog reveals itself by popping forward from underneath the car. A few pats of the head, the stirred dog has a look of despair in its deep brown eyes. My first intuition is that this dog is lost. It's too well groomed to be a stray dog. There's an Ohio State collar around its thick neck with a gold heart shaped dog tag. The shiny tag reveals the name, Hero. I'm close with my immediate neighbors so I knew this dog wasn't one of theirs. Flipping the dog tag over, engraved is the owner's name and phone number. Wonder, problem solved, or so I thought. Upon calling the number I'm faced with the robotic message: 'You have reached a number that is no longer in service. Please check the number and dial again.'
     From this point on I've adopted myself a new title, Doug Brown: Pet Detective. Objective number one is to find the new phone number of what I assume is the current owner. The dog is now showing nothing but affection and has happy breathing with jolts of excitement.

The dog is leery, but yet playful. In Sherlock Holmes mode, I'm jumping on the internet finding myself scrolling through the vast yellow pages. Old school techniques using new school technology. As their slogan says, let your fingers do the walking. I'm searching for a female's name that I'm assuming is of German descent. To my surprise, my eyes open wider upon stumbling across a matching name in the neighboring town. It's already ten thirty PM, so I'm hesitant on calling. I would press snooze until the following morning if we were talking about a lost bicycle. However, this was someone's pet which is the equivalent of a child to its owner. Ring, ring, ring. The old style answering machine greets me with a standard message with a voice that matches the accent to its name. Mid message a woman picks up the phone, "Yes?" she says. I reply "Sorry to call so late but do you have a dog named Hero?" She informs me she was the original owner but gave the dog to her ex-coworker over two years ago. Empathetic to the dilemma, she scurries to find the phone number of this ex-coworker. She returns, somewhat discombobulated, to reveal the name and number of this girl.
     Problem solved. Again, so I thought. The number was disconnected. The catch was she didn't know the correct spelling of the girl's name. I was now searching back online for a women that had a first and last name that could be spelled multiple ways.

You would not believe in the yellow pages and on the social network sites how many ways one can spell Lindsey, Lindsay, Lindsy, or Lynzy. And that was just the first name issues. So at this point my fingers were doing the running and dialog and posting on the social network site was ignited. You could write an online post about meeting the president this afternoon and you will receive some feedback and a couple of emails. Say you have a lost dog and holy moly the sirens are in full force.
     I had people sharing my story on everything short of a milk carton. After jumping through many hoops, I did find the number for the workplace of the next contact. Hero spent the night as content as if he was staying in the Radison hotel for an evening.

Next morning, Doug Brown: Pet Detective is ready for a new day. I place my first phone call to that of this new contact. The connection is made to which I'm told the dog used to be hers but she had given Hero to her younger brother. I was given the brother's phone number and we said our goodbyes. Sure enough, her brother's phone number was disconnected. Believe me by this point I contemplated keeping the darn thing. However, the hand had been dealt to see this thing through. My dialog with Hero to this point was "Hang in there little buddy, we will get you back home." Through some more hoops I got the correct number and the final connection was established.
     The owner was ecstatic. Their family was up all night looking for the dog. He told me his kids especially were unable to sleep due to the absence of their lost dog.

Why the dog tags were years old is beyond me. 'You should get updated dog tags, my friend.' was the first thing I said when dropping Hero off. There was an electric charge in Hero when spotting the house and the owner. His fiercely wagging tail and his enthusiastic panting.
     Driving away and seeing the kids coming out to celebrate Hero's welcome home gave me warm feelings. In twenty-four hours all of that transpired for this dog. He could have been hit by a car or been taken to the Humane Society. The moral of the story isn't just update your dog tags. Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero. An appropriate name choice from the original owner I must say. Case closed - Doug Brown: Pet Detective."  - p. 62-64 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

LloydChristmas

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 03:20:51 AM »
we really appreciate all of the effort you're putting into this GAY, thank you.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 12:36:35 AM »
sure dougie here is some kind of a hero, but can he hang with the likes of freddy gall? dude saved some monks from sure death, he must be a deity somewhere by now

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »
MONDAY, MAY 4, 2015

"When I was young, anytime we defied my father's ideas he would always say his classic line, 'You haven't lived long enough.' Well dad, I've lived long enough." p. 108 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »
fuck u dad
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
I blew the wrong person and am laid up sick in bed today so no reflections post, guys and girls. My apologies. Just remember that whatever you do today ask yourself how The D would handle it. Posts will return after I get better.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »
GAY, you are well enough to post that you are sick, but not well enough to share some D with us today?

With that said, I hope you feel better.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Haha it's just that I left his book at my office and haven't committed it to memory just yet.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
Haha it's just that I left his book at my office and haven't committed it to memory just yet.
That's what happens when you only buy 1 copy of Doug's masterpiece

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
doug's got some daddie issues.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 6, 2015

"These are the unseen tricks. I think professional athletes have an obligation to give back. I'm not just a skateboarder. There is nothing I can do on my skateboard to make a huge difference in someone's life. The things I do off my skateboard can make a difference. Who I'm sponsored by doesn't matter. What skate tricks I do doesn't matter. My experiences do matter. From those experiences I've learned a great deal. That's what I have to offer." p. 68 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

shark tits

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 6, 2015

"These are the unseen tricks. I think professional athletes have an obligation to give back. I'm not just a skateboarder. There is nothing I can do on my skateboard to make a huge difference in someone's life. The things I do off my skateboard can make a difference. Who I'm sponsored by doesn't matter. What skate tricks I do doesn't matter. My experiences do matter. From those experiences I've learned a great deal. That's what I have to offer." p. 68 - Looking Glass Self - Hope Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
The Rock - It doesn't matter what you think!

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's what happens when you only buy 1 copy of Doug's masterpiece

This will never, ever, happen again, but I just Gnar'd you because I laughed so hard.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
Just want to remind everyone to Capture the Moment, and keep filling your piggy banks of self worth.

You're doing God's work, GAY, please never stop.  Maybe a adopt a more stringent screening process for what penises you are going to suck.  We can't afford to have you sick.

matt, don't encourage Tracer he got a lucky one off there.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
THURSDAY, MAY 7, 2015

"We are first mind, body and soul. A triangle of components we embody. What we do with those three components involve hope, optimism and purpose. No matter what your faith or what you believe, how each of us understands the meaning of life comes down to the question 'Why are we here?'" p. 106 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

abudabi

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
matt, don't encourage Tracer he got a lucky one off there.
tracer's funny as shit, you be trippy.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
FRIDAY, MAY 8, 2015

"I was traveling extensively.* My life had become a whirlwind of hotels, airplanes, going to skate events, contests, demos, and everything in between.** I got to tour arenas with the band The Newsboys***, skating in front of twenty thousand people.**** I've been on teams alongside some of skateboarding legends.***** I even had my own signature wheel.****** I've rubbed shoulders with celebrities.******* My sponsors were producing mass quantities of posters that were gracing skate shop walls and bedroom walls.********" *********p. 22 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* EXHIBIT A: Air Doug comin' in for a landing!

** EXHIBIT B: "Everything in between"

*** EXHIBIT C: The Newsboys in action!

**** EXHIBIT D: The crowd goes "Nuts 4 Brown"

***** EXHIBIT E: Skateboarding's finest all say, "Doug is A-OK!"

****** EXHIBIT F: Doug Brown flavored deodorant. (Notice the signature, tweaked as fuck method air)

******* EXHIBIT G: Doug poses with none other than Skip Engblom

******** EXHIBIT H: Posters everywhere.

********* EXHIBIT X: Bonus

straight

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
Thanks gay. I will always remember may 8, 2015.