Author Topic: [JENKEM] Meet the Youtube stars that are disrupting skateboarding  (Read 13086 times)

KUberry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
Re: [JENKEM] Meet the Youtube stars that are disrupting skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Or Aaron Kyro who pushes Scientology on kids. Next Berra?

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
There's a bunch of kids trying to do the same thing as Andy now, they're like clones. They poorly film their friend's skating the same part every week, and talk to the camera in-between tries. They'll do day in the lives and setup videos despite being absolutely nobody. Youtube pros and their minions blow.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

LoneRat

• Rep: -1
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The only youtubers i watch is the one's that play video games (yeah im that big of loser)
[close]

Haha truthfully I find that sort of stuff weirdly relaxing. It makes excellent background noise when doing work at the computer.
[close]

I do this at work whenever i have a mountain of paperwork to process, it makes the time go so much quicker

Why don't you guys just listen to podcasts then? Marc Maron gives the best life advice, its amazing to listen to while working http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
Good point that these guys are serving the place where 411VM and ONvideo were.

Someone should do ONvideo 2015 edition. Getting proper skate educated was the shit.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
That was some god awful writing.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Why do they all have a gimmick? shrock wears only red shirts, helmet dude always wears a helmet, and blackninja only wears puffy white shoes with green laces.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »
That Black Ninja part was glorious haha. Never heard of him before

stayfalse

• Rep: 5
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 02:50:10 PM »
Fuck I can't stand the YouTube stars. So corny and repetitive. I mean I get that it's (very possibly) the future of skating and shit but I think I'll always be the bitter dude that hates all of it.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
In more ways, their success is due to mainstream pros failing to see the potential in YouTube.

I'm not sure so about that, youtube has been around for a decade now. A contrived image, really great skateboarding (I'm just making that assumption cause I've never watched any of these guys) and social networking skills are probably pretty tough to compete with for your 30-something yearold pro. Gimmicks in general sell, someone mentioned before these guys basically rock uniforms, that's the most basic gimmick out there. And kid's love all of this stuff.

the only thing I don't like about those guys is that they're making kids think it's ok to constantly be filming yourself and putting it online. it's breeding a culture of narcissism that's so prevalent in the rest of social media and bringing it to skateboarding

What came first, the chicken or the egg? People's egos usually get their start from peers complimenting and hyping them up. But even if it wasn't for these guys, kids would still be filming themselves all the time and putting it online, just because it's super easy to do and why the hell not? I agree that what you said is a problem, but it's a social issue, literally, and skateboarding or any other sub-culture isn't immune to it.

The article is good.  I think what it doesn't mention though is that these youtube pros like Andy Shrock are preying upon the weakest link in the skateboarding chain, children who have just started to skate: this act of taking money from people who know no better is a con!  The youtube pros are sheerly practicing con artistry and it sucks to watch the skateboard industry be conned, whether it's on a mass corporate scale like Nike or an individual like the aforementioned kooks. 

good one, I wonder when Magenta and Polar are gonna pick up on that
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The only youtubers i watch is the one's that play video games (yeah im that big of loser)
[close]

Haha truthfully I find that sort of stuff weirdly relaxing. It makes excellent background noise when doing work at the computer.
[close]

I do this at work whenever i have a mountain of paperwork to process, it makes the time go so much quicker
[close]

Why don't you guys just listen to podcasts then? Marc Maron gives the best life advice, its amazing to listen to while working http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast

Podcasts, youtube videos, audio books, movies or tv shows I've seen a dozen times, there's a lot of light entertainment I put on in the background while working. It's all good, there's tons of entertainment out there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:34:09 PM by landCow »

shark tits

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »
i by no means keep abreast [or apenis] of black ninja's exploits but his actual parts are the dopeshow! 'guess who's skatin again? wallridin again, w/ a filmer and friend?' gets stuck in my head from time to time. and when someone dodges traffic i think 'ya need to slow it down like whoah serge murphy'.
when i was explaining 50-50 to wallride i think he had a video showing just that, kid is really good.
i had an epiphany a wk or so ago that i shared w/ jim and dan. my partner in DIY, filming and whatever else is a 36 yr old who's marketed to like a little kid. there's all this youtube out there full of classics, new guys killing it, in betweens like jake johnson who weren't around in the 90s but aren't new jacks either and my man is watching andy shrock. and drinking red bull. and riding elements.
i wanna do an intervention but since we don't have much of a peer group, it's just us 2 sharing space w/ all the other skaters of my town on differing shifts there's nobody to tell him he's indoctrinated.
i mean, i can tell him but it doesn't have the same shame inducing tone coming from me.
wish my man would just drink a large regular from Cumby's, skate a deck from an east coast company and watch some damn jerry fisher or something.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
the only thing I don't like about those guys is that they're making kids think it's ok to constantly be filming yourself and putting it online. it's breeding a culture of narcissism that's so prevalent in the rest of social media and bringing it to skateboarding

Agree. Kids that film non stop never seem to be having fun at the park, when I was their age skating with mates and learning tricks was the best time ever, now kids seem too serious or upset with themselves when they fuck up a boardslide on the parks flatbar.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Agree. Kids that film non stop never seem to be having fun at the park, when I was their age skating with mates and learning tricks was the best time ever, now kids seem too serious or upset with themselves when they fuck up a boardslide on the parks flatbar.

So many good times when the whole crew gets a new trick. I remember the day when a few friends and I all learned nollie 360 flips. We were celebrating like we all just won a million dollars.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Ham Sandwiches

• Rep: -5
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm surprised to see some Black Ninja love in here. I used to watch him a fair bit, not so much nowadays.
you know you can get laid, see music, socialize, talk shit, and not be a nazi at the same time right?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
im always pissed when youtube recommends these videos because i accidentally clicked 1 before.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »
Why do all of these people seem like they'd be Christians scientologists?

ginatran

• Rep: -90
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Why do all of these people seem like they'd be Christians scientologists?
[close]

At least they aren't muslims.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
im always pissed when youtube recommends these videos because i accidentally clicked 1 before.

Friday YOU AIN'T GOT TO LIE CRAIG

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
Muslims are gay.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 02:07:24 AM »
I'm not sure so about that, youtube has been around for a decade now. A contrived image, really great skateboarding (I'm just making that assumption cause I've never watched any of these guys) and social networking skills are probably pretty tough to compete with for your 30-something yearold pro. Gimmicks in general sell, someone mentioned before these guys basically rock uniforms, that's the most basic gimmick out there. And kid's love all of this stuff.

I think many kids are just looking for content. Doesn't matter much from whom. Some years back, Mike V. was putting out weekly videos and getting tens of thousands of hits. I would think you'd just have some intern or publicist pumping these out for the less technically inclined. Andy Roy could make a fortune.
How To Make Prison Style Sweet and Sour Pork With Andy Roy

moeron

• Rep: -27
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 04:32:03 AM »
I've never heard of any of these people or Revive skateboards for that matter. Things done changed.

stiflersmom

• Rep: -14
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 04:55:13 AM »
big up jenkem for showing me the black ninja, shit was dope and pretty funny. at least homeboi doin his own shit unlike every other faggy prick

fangen

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 06:02:39 AM »
Black Ninja wouldn't have to be such an unfuny kook if his fits weren't so terrible. He looks like he fucks 13 yr olds.

stiflersmom

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
Black Ninja wouldn't have to be such an unfuny kook if his fits weren't so terrible. He looks like he fucks 13 yr olds.
His fits are dope and he hauls ass

stiflersmom

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »
I ain't even taking the piss either. That part fully got me on a hype! :D

moeron

• Rep: -27
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
I looked into Black Ninja and I love his video parts. Highly entertaining and legitimately skillful ticks in there.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
Don't understand the black ninja love. He can skate but he still does all the same kooky shit as everyone else.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

stiflersmom

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
big up jenkem for showing me the black ninja, shit was dope and pretty funny. at least homeboi doin his own shit unlike every other faggy prick
this was at all the fuccbois in their dickies and chucks doing back 3s and impossibles to music we know you don't listen to. the black ninja might do all that kooky shit all the other YouTube heros do but on a board my mans hauling ass...in a beefy pair of white mufuckin etnies with yellow laces!!! The black ninja is the skaters skater  :D

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »
this video was always gold to me
Trick Tips: Pop Shuvit Late Flip

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »