Author Topic: "suspension skateboard trucks"  (Read 10634 times)

JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Bro imagine austyns face, but on biebels body!

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
Re: "suspension skateboard trucks"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
this was cheesy as fuck but the product itself is interesting, as a customer i'm always open for better products. that being said, I wouldn't buy a pair unless i'd hear a hundred credible dudes praising avenue trucks.

foureyedjim

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
As much as I didn't like the video, I gotta say "why not?"
Hardware has changed little by little over the years, so why can't we be open to more changes?

But at the end of the day, I will be sticking to normal trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »
those look tall as fuck....

@thewilleasley

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »
Interesting design and the dudes skating in the video actually had some decent tricks so they do seem like they'd work. Don't know if I'd pay for a pair but id be interested in trying them out. Funny thing is feel like the longboard versions will be the ones that actually take off and sell well

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:41 AM »
From a quick look at the video there are some major problems I can see, but it's a decent idea for market.

They're using a steel plate it looks like for the 'suspension' mechanism, which is going to wear and degrade from the original suspension to being less supportive over time. like insoles in shoes, they're super cushy new, but they pack down. That steel is going to get weaker from use.

Also, I don't see how your wouldn't bottom out these trucks. They don't seem to have that much travel length before they're maxed out, so there has to be a maximum amount of force to bottom them out which I'd assume anything over a 6 stair is going to do to them.

I went to school for engineering, but just graduated, so I'm probably wrong. Either way, at the end of the day, I'll stick with my Indy's.

ZEBRA

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
From a quick look at the video there are some major problems I can see, but it's a decent idea for market.

They're using a steel plate it looks like for the 'suspension' mechanism, which is going to wear and degrade from the original suspension to being less supportive over time. like insoles in shoes, they're super cushy new, but they pack down. That steel is going to get weaker from use.

Also, I don't see how your wouldn't bottom out these trucks. They don't seem to have that much travel length before they're maxed out, so there has to be a maximum amount of force to bottom them out which I'd assume anything over a 6 stair is going to do to them.

I went to school for engineering, but just graduated, so I'm probably wrong. Either way, at the end of the day, I'll stick with my Indy's.

You bring up good points. I'm sure that's why they have a Kickstarter, so they can start selling and do some R&D.

Like someone else already said, I can see this really taking off in the longboard community, but not skateboarding. But that's only because it's a whole new truck company. If Indy came out with a design like this, my guess would be people would be all over it.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You bring up good points. I'm sure that's why they have a Kickstarter, so they can start selling and do some R&D.

Like someone else already said, I can see this really taking off in the longboard community, but not skateboarding. But that's only because it's a whole new truck company. If Indy came out with a design like this, my guess would be people would be all over it.

i doubt it. despite what supposed advantages these guys are advertising, these still dont really look like they could outperform or outsell your standard truck. there are people out there who want to take a chance and try out something totally new, but i feel like the skateboarding community is made up mostly of people who want what they know already works just fine. it would be pretty funny to see the reaction from people if this were an indy product though. i feel like heads would explode if they introduced anything this far off from a stage 11.

the thing that id be worried about is if you could actually bounce on them while riding around or if the truck would flex down when youre popping your tricks. i feel like having that suspension would totally throw off your ollie and flip trick timing. i feel like you want a board thats solid and snappy, not one that bounces around. also, in the long run, i bet one truck would start to weaken faster than the other due to doing more tricks off a certain side of the board, and i could see that giving your board and uneven feel.

overall, i respect the work these guys put in to make something like this, but i cant see it taking off with skateboarders. longboarders would probably eat this shit up though.

BMCsteve

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
In theory it could work.  The springs in your car are made from cold hardened steel so if they treated the metal correctly the suspension system might last a long time before it gets to the point of failure.

I'd love to try them out but I can't imagine it working for street skating.  I bet they would be sweet on a cruiser though

BMCsteve

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
Found some more info.  The baseplate is carbon steel which is a good thing

The hanger is magnesium which grinds great but wears down fast.  Height is 55mm (same as standard Indy S11)

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
I would try them, but like most I wouldnt want to pay full price for these. I would be willing to pay $20 bux, Do they factor in skaters who weigh like 240 lbs?
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
i'd like to try them but i dont think this will catch on with shortboarders. longboarders are much more into tech though and would probably be stoked on it enough for it to be commercially viable (which is funny cus it probably helps them a lot less than it would us)

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »
I would try them, but like most I wouldnt want to pay full price for these. I would be willing to pay $20 bux, Do they factor in skaters who weigh like 240 lbs?
The materials look good, and you can heat treat steel to pretty much any specification for strength that would be needed for skating. This is the one question I still am wondering.. If a 150 pound person is using the same ones as a 250 pound person, the heavier would either have a considerably cushier ride, or the metal is so stiff the 150 pound person isn't even getting any shock absorption.

Only way to know is skating them or seeing test results, I suppose. Maybe I'll email them, probably not, but I am interested.

ZEBRA

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i doubt it. despite what supposed advantages these guys are advertising, these still dont really look like they could outperform or outsell your standard truck. there are people out there who want to take a chance and try out something totally new, but i feel like the skateboarding community is made up mostly of people who want what they know already works just fine. it would be pretty funny to see the reaction from people if this were an indy product though. i feel like heads would explode if they introduced anything this far off from a stage 11.

the thing that id be worried about is if you could actually bounce on them while riding around or if the truck would flex down when youre popping your tricks. i feel like having that suspension would totally throw off your ollie and flip trick timing. i feel like you want a board thats solid and snappy, not one that bounces around. also, in the long run, i bet one truck would start to weaken faster than the other due to doing more tricks off a certain side of the board, and i could see that giving your board and uneven feel.

overall, i respect the work these guys put in to make something like this, but i cant see it taking off with skateboarders. longboarders would probably eat this shit up though.

I'll agree that most of the skate community is mostly made up of the,"If it ain't broken, don't fix it" type people that probably wouldn't give 2 shits about these trucks even of they were made by Indy.

But then again, taking care of your body for longevity is huge right now. All the insoles that are out, and they was that these guys in Street League take care of themselves. Getting personal trainers and shit. If Indy came out with these and they were proven to be better for your joints in the long run, I could see it sticking around for a long time.

I don't know, I wanna say it wouldn't. Would be super interesting. But of well. Indy didn't come out with them. Some dudes from my neck of the woods did and named they're company (Avenue Trucks) after a pro skater. (AVE)

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 02:28:17 AM »
Independent and others once made suspension trucks for downhill and slalom (pool skaters preferred the solid feel of non-suspension trucks). Their name refers to independent suspension technology.

If there really was a need for skateboard suspension, why not start with wheels? The hard wheels most of us prefer are ideal for perfect concrete, but softer (and larger) wheels give a smoother and faster ride on even relatively smooth streets. Lower durometer wheels also provide more shock absorption (good shoe insoles use low durometer polyurethane). You could also use a soft bottom barrel bushing, combined with a harder top bushing to offset, in order to increase suspension.

Other than wheels, shoes can be a major factor in reducing injury from high impacts, insomuch as, well-padded shoes will protect you whether you land a trick or not. Suspension trucks only prevent injuries on perfect landings--where one has the least chance of sustaining injury.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
send em to jaws.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
Sounds great for filming.

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Baseplate looks so thin, looks like you could noseslide through it no problem.

Dengles

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
Oh man perfect for getting aggressive skaters stoked, I can't wait to mall grab these with all my good bros. 

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
These would probably sell pretty well with young kids who want the newest "best" stuff. At least I remember being 12 years old and wanting an uber light with magnesium trucks (no titanium yet) and swiss ceramics.

I probably wouldn't buy em just because they're designed to be so light

BMCsteve

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 07:05:53 AM »
Majer Crew got their hands on some.  Too bad they didnt do an actual review. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRqm2UGABA

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
Affixing the hardware (at least the two inner bolts) must be a pain in the ass. You'd have to mash it down with a screwdriver, then tighten it with 1/4 turns on a flat wrench.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
I'm sure I couldn't even bend those much less break them in half. HONESTLY. But I'll leave that to anyone else to find out cuz I'm sure they don't actually help you skate. Las thing we need is a new gimmick.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »

Too bad it's majer crew

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Too bad it's majer crew
Oh yeah? What don't you like about Majer crew?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Too bad it's majer crew
[close]
they do blackface like every halloween
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Too bad it's majer crew
[close]
[close]
Yep, and all the bullshit click-bait videos. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that "OMG Miley Cyrus Skateboarding!!" Video pop up in my related videos.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
If they put z-roller axels on these I might be interested. Also if they put that little plastic nub that tensors have.

In all seriousness, my fat ass would probably snap these just looking at them.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Too bad it's majer crew
[close]
[close]
Oh. Yeah I probably wouldn't appreciate that either.