Author Topic: Oslo  (Read 4763 times)

Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
Oslo
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
Studying abroad at the Univ of Oslo this summer, june 18-Aug 1. Anyone here in the area/been here?

I'm only taking one course so I'll have a lot of time to check out the area and skate, so any tips/advice would be great. Really looking forward to this trip. Skate spots/parks, shops, hiking, etc would be sweet.
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Oslo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
Used to live there, but I'm not in Norway these days. There are some pals that do, they'll probably hook you up. If not, you'll probably run into them anyway, since the scene is small and tight.

There is a small new park at a place called Mølleparken, it's at Sannergata/Waldemar Thranesgate by Akerselva (the river). I think that's where most people meet up these days. There is also a large patch of grass, a small soccer field and a basketball court. You can buy beers and BBQ at the Kiwi right next to it.
City hall (Rådhuset) is also pretty chill and there is usually someone skating there.
Some cool ledges by the Opera (Havnelageret)

You should also check out the islands if you like to swim. Boats go from Rådhuset to 4 or 5 different islands. Hovedøya is the biggest one and fastest to get to.. It's really nice to hang out there in the evening as well. I think the suns up until ~22/23.

For hiking, you have Nordmarka and Østmarka. Basically there is tons of marked and unmarked hiking trails.. I would usually walk from home and up to Trollvannstua (they have alright food, and you can swim in the lake) and just head north/east for a couple of hours (if you end up at Lilloseter they have the best cinnamon buns in the world).. I never had a map and there is limited 3G coverage in the woods, so if your internal compass sucks, then get a map or stick to the marked trails.

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
awesome, thanks so much dude. How is skating street there? Are most spots a bust or are they generally cool with skating?

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »
Yeah street is no problem.. There are tons of spots, especially if you're not picky. Unless it's inside a building, it's generally bust free. You might run into grumpy neighbors if you skate spots at new buildings, but nothing bad.

http://www.playboard.no/Skate/Settlers
This is all Oslo footy. You could also check Oslo 5, T16, Gnav and pretty much every Norwegian skate flick if you want to see Oslo stuff.

Here is an alright map to get you started: http://www.justme.ws/spotguide.asp

And this is filmed at Mølleparken. If my ø's doesn't show properly, it's basically an O.
http://www.playboard.no/Skate/Trick-Requests-Michael-Sommer

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
lived there for a summer back in 2004 ... one of my all time favorite cities.  the street skating was really great.  go with whatever essal wrote above as any advice other than "it rules" is probably outdated by now.  enjoy!  if you have the time, I'd suggest taking the train over to Bergen...fun trip.   
hardly art, hardly starving

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
damn that video was sick, the scene seems rad!
ohyeahohyeah

Clemens

• Rep: 38
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:54:50 AM »
I hope you dont mind me asking this here, but this was the newest thread on Oslo, so:

Anybody living in Oslo who would let me crash on their couch for one night (1.7.-2.7.)? I'd bring booze as pay. Im only there for a day/night and cant bring my board along, so im just gonna check out the city and i need a place to stay for the night. all the people on couchsurfing only want to host girls so im a little desperate thats why i ask here.

Such

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
Studying abroad at the Univ of Oslo this summer, june 18-Aug 1. Anyone here in the area/been here?

I'm only taking one course so I'll have a lot of time to check out the area and skate, so any tips/advice would be great. Really looking forward to this trip. Skate spots/parks, shops, hiking, etc would be sweet.
essal allready summed it up but yeah, its awesome allot of cool spots and untouched spots, but most of them are somewhat crusty. im looking at plane tickets to california right now but ill skate with you if im here.

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:48:19 AM »
Oslo is great!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions, they have been pretty clutch. Exploring the city has been amazing, it's pretty easy to skate everywhere and the nature is lovely.

I put together a little video of short clips I've taken so far

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
homies just made this, it shows pretty much all the main spots in Oslo:

for anyone wondering, the last park is Molleparken.