Author Topic: Montage of Heck  (Read 723 times)

QUIT SINNIN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
Montage of Heck
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »
Anybody watch it? Just finished it.

Kinda cool. I didn't love the editing, but some of the visuals were really fucking cool. I really liked the animations of Kurt growing up as a teenager with the voice over of him narrating his own story. Don't know how they pulled that off, normally I would think it's pretty lame. All of his journals were brought to life in a pretty cool visual way as well. I think it was way overhyped, and it's kind of hard to get excited about Nirvana when your not 12-14. Especially when it's about someone everyone was already pretty familiar with. Pretty amazing audio/visual relics they were able to dig up though. I kind of liked that Dave Grohl wasn't involved. Courtney Love is such an insufferable twat.

Nirvana is probably one of the most overrated bands ever, but still a good band.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:42:40 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

newhampster

• Rep: 7
Re: Montage of Heck
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
I thought it was super good, although incredibly depressing. I'd always been super skeptical about all the conspiracy theories surrounding his death, but after hearing/seeing his journals entries and shit, it seems pretty obvious that the most logical explanation is the dude did in fact kill himself. 

My only complaint was I thought they went a little overboard with the crazy visuals/montages. They felt kind of pretentious at times and made it hard to distinguish between what was Kurt's art and what wasn't. 

All in all, two thumbs up from me - would recommend to a friend.

Oh, and I heard rumors there would be an updated version with Dave Ghrol.. anyone know if theres any truth to that?

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
I thought it was super good, although incredibly depressing. I'd always been super skeptical about all the conspiracy theories surrounding his death, but after hearing/seeing his journals entries and shit, it seems pretty obvious that the most logical explanation is the dude did in fact kill himself. 

My only complaint was I thought they went a little overboard with the crazy visuals/montages. They felt kind of pretentious at times and made it hard to distinguish between what was Kurt's art and what wasn't. 

All in all, two thumbs up from me - would recommend to a friend.

Oh, and I heard rumors there would be an updated version with Dave Ghrol.. anyone know if theres any truth to that?

Agreed.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
i always thought that Kurt was the most overrated deadman rock star there was... that being said I do sort of want to see this.

There's no denying that Live at the Paramount by Nirvana is fucking fantastic.  Kurt always seemed like a fuckhead to me.  Does anyone else have a friend who fucking IDOLIZES Kurt still to this day? I never really understood it.  i always wished he's be painted as a lousy father, and a coward for doing what he did, rather than some kind of misundersood hero.

Greg Road

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
I watched this the other night. I don't know how many more docs I can watch about him and not feel like they're just repeating the same things we already know.

The home footage was interesting - the bit with him nodding off holding his child was really pathetic.

The person story was pretty nasty and made me think a bit less about Kurt.

Courtney Love is an awful human being and I think she's the reason he is dead. His death is pretty questionable but I don't want to get into that - there's another doc that goes into this and it's pretty good.

I feel like around the mid point it just lost focus, or ran out of things to talk about and went to artsy montage crazy.

I would've liked to have seen Dave Grohel in this and get his insight. I always wonder why the other two didn't intervene or try and do something about their junkie band mate. They all seemed pretty close the whole ride, and they both seemed to live pretty clean lifestyles. He was clearly heading down a dangerous path, I don't know how this wouldn't cross their minds.

I liked a lot of the renditions of their songs throughout the movie.

I think I'd like to see an in depth Nirvana doc next time around, not just about Kurt.