Author Topic: loose kingpin  (Read 6928 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
loose kingpin
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »
My back truck has been feeling really weird and off lately. I took my truck apart to see what was up and saw that my kingpin was loose. It's not broken or anything, but if I were to touch it it would wiggle around and move. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure what caused this, but is there any way to fix it and tighten it back up, or is it fucked?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: loose kingpin
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Fuckin hell, this happened to me with a set of indy's hammered the fucker back in all the time, still came loose and drove me nuts, I think the grooves on the kingpin were stripped, but havent tried putting a new one in them, so im not to sure what the cause was/is yet

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
you should try to insert a lil piece of metal or wood, or put some loctite in it, or even try to solder it if you can

BMCsteve

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
I had this happen with 2 pairs of Theeve TiKing trucks.  The kingpin had completely rounded off the hole in the baseplate so there wasn't even a fix for it.  Long story short, it's the only reason I stopped skating Theeve

dillanharp

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
you should try to insert a lil piece of metal or wood, or put some loctite in it, or even try to solder it if you can

Or just get new trucks.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
Had a similar problem once. I would just try and replace/reinstall a new kingpin, if I were you. It's not way way hard, but it'll take some effort.
get some new ones depending on your truck:    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/otherparts.html        http://www.tactics.com/skateboard-truck-accessories/ra-12569

Hammer it out, then refer to this video for instruction:
https://youtu.be/_MHEqe269Vw?t=107  (I used the method at the 3:50 mark to get it in there.)

It helped me, but then I realized the pivot end of my hanger was worn down a layer or 2 cause my trucks were old at the time, thus making it wiggle a bit.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »
supposedly you can hammer it back in using something between the hammer and the kingpin to work as a "guide" but i'm assuming it could just be the baseplate's kingpin hole becoming loose. happened to a cheap set of trucks i had. if it's warrantied like Destructo send em back.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
I'm currently running a loose kingpin on both of my aces. Don't really bother me though, they still work fine.

N.L.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
Just had this happen to on an Ace truck. Removed the kingpin, reinstalled and it was solid for one session, now its loose again... first time in over 30+ years of skateboarding this has happened...

any idea what causes this? trucks too loose?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
Just had this happen to on an Ace truck. Removed the kingpin, reinstalled and it was solid for one session, now its loose again... first time in over 30+ years of skateboarding this has happened...

ace's shitty material...
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ace's shitty material...
Ace are soft as hell.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 03:20:01 AM »
There’s a harder metal insert where the kingpin goes though but I guess it doesn’t do its job very well. I bought two pairs of Ace 44s with loose kingpins and hammered them out, put a whole bunch of “steel epoxy” there and hammered them back in. They’ve been working great since that. Worst thing about the loose kingpins was the clunky sound they made when ollieing.

N.L.

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
Luckily I had a spare baseplate/ kingpin but I'll try the steel epoxy if it happens again. thanks.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:06 AM »
I've had this issue before but just swapped out the baseplate on older trucks.

I imagine a touch of JB weld would work great.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
same shit happened to my front truck but i think that's because i like my trucks loose and my front truck is all wiggly, i think the solution for that is just a new kingpin
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »
I remember hearing it’s cause the trucks are too loose and the hangars yoke bushing cup hole thing is banging against the kingpin when you do those crazy turns and zig zags

But then again it’s more likely a defect p
yes

doublesteveburger

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »
Dealing with the same issue right now on some Theeve's. It's never happened before with my last two pairs of 'em so it's a bummer. I skate my trucks a bit more on the tighter side but still loose enough for comfort/good turns.

Might just switch back to the Indy's/Bones bushings combo.