Author Topic: Portland heads: what's the story on the condos next to Burnside?  (Read 4634 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Portland heads: what's the story on the condos next to Burnside?
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:07:35 AM »
After seeing how close that giant condo building is to Burnside it would seem to be only a matter of time before trouble for the park. Anyone from there know anything?

Are there solid assurances from the city the park won't get fucked with?

I don't know how things work out there but in my experience it only takes a few neighbors complaining to ruin shit - the fact that the park was there first and the neighbors knew full well they were moving next to a noisy area is almost never taken into account (especially if the offending party does not contribute tax dollars)

Around here I've seen residential development near established parks, music venues, gun ranges, etc. and the municipalities almost always side with the guy who says he can't sleep or work from home because of the noise. At the very least time restrictions get put it place. It wouldn't surprise me if the developers knew this going in but rather than iron it out beforehand, wait until the project is done and full of rich assholes with clout.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I wonder if even a "cool" city like Portland will stick up for Burnside when push comes to shove, or if they will be ignorant of the park's history and offer a "new, better, replacement park" elsewhere?

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
Re: Portland heads: what's the story on the condos next to Burnside?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:26:23 AM »
I was up there last month and from what i learned is that they are working with the owners/builders. The bottom levels will be parking then 3 levels of shopping...etc and from 5 or 6 stories up will be housing. They re-did the original bowl and added lights but are waiting to add on to the left side. One of the locals said when the building is done that they have the OK to add on to their wall as needed. They will be adding a door way where the left side lurk corner exists. I don't think the park will get screwed over for noise. The housing is being built next to a heavily traveled bridge. You'll see all of Portland starting to change in the next few months. Sky line on the industrial side.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
I was up there last month and from what i learned is that they are working with the owners/builders. The bottom levels will be parking then 3 levels of shopping...etc and from 5 or 6 stories up will be housing. They re-did the original bowl and added lights but are waiting to add on to the left side. One of the locals said when the building is done that they have the OK to add on to their wall as needed. They will be adding a door way where the left side lurk corner exists. I don't think the park will get screwed over for noise. The housing is being built next to a heavily traveled bridge. You'll see all of Portland starting to change in the next few months. Sky line on the industrial side.
What's going on out there?

City has changed so much in the last 5 years.
For Your Health

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:34:26 AM »
All Condos Are Bastards

I have very little faith in what a city promises will be protected, and zero faith in what developers say will happen. Developers will tear down whatever they feel like and pay the insignificant fine. Happens all the time under similar circumstances (albeit not skateboarding related).

If the yuppies don't like the noise after their first year in Portland, the city will listen to them. As previously mentioned, it's happened over and over again to venues when people decide to move into a new condo built next door to a long-existing club.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
o boy, here come the fucking gentrifying NIMBY yuppies. get ready for some passive aggressive showdowns with these people.

N.L.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its a victim of its own success. Lots of people moving in from all over and pricing out people who've lived here a long time and now its unaffordable for many. Its changed the demographic and feel of the city. Lots of homeless and poor with less and less affordable housing and wealthy new comers putting cash down for homes in close-n neighborhoods.

Those in the know seem confident that Burnside will be OK but I'm sure I'm not the only skeptic. It will be interesting. Burnside is such a huge symbol of what Portland used to be, that either way it will never die without a fight.

Can't wait to skate the new bowl.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Its a victim of its own success. Lots of people moving in from all over and pricing out people who've lived here a long time and now its unaffordable for many. Its changed the demographic and feel of the city. Lots of homeless and poor with less and less affordable housing and wealthy new comers putting cash down for homes in close-n neighborhoods.

Those in the know seem confident that Burnside will be OK but I'm sure I'm not the only skeptic. It will be interesting. Burnside is such a huge symbol of what Portland used to be, that either way it will never die without a fight.

Can't wait to skate the new bowl.

That's pretty rough dude, my condolences. I've been thinking about going out there for a while, but now I'm leaning more towards Olympia
For Your Health

N.L.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »
The local weekly rag just put up a pretty good little video feature of whats going on.

fuddit

• Rep: -35
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
o boy, here come the fucking gentrifying NIMBY yuppies. get ready for some passive aggressive showdowns with these people.

They are such fucks, who think they are in charge of any and everything that they see in "their neighborhood".  Entitled bastards.

yungtaco

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
Kinda off topic here but I don't think this is worthy of starting a new page over and it's technically burnside related so did anyone else notice ben raybourn skating chuck taylors in chris russell's "in transition" part on the berrics today? I know nike owns cons but kinda a stupid move on ben's part, just because he's wearing a nike sb hoodie doesn't mean nikes not gonna be bummed over it especially since its on the berrics not some random ass clip

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
It's good to hear all hope is not lost and it's good the new building has a bit of a buffer, but eventually some asshole is going to make a stink.

There is a newer condo building here in Philly with a theater and parking on the bottom floors, next to a busy street, but that hasn't stopped the douches 20 floors up from complaining about the live reggae from the Jamaican place half a block down that's had live music for 20 years.

drunkenshredder

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »
The real problem is finding a fucking parking spot! The locals are confident that the park is safe. If they teardown the park and make it a parking lot it'll only invite the homeless to take back the area. Noise won't be an issue, Condos will be on the higher floors that over look the bridge. The noise from traffic on the bridge is what people won't like. You have to remember that Portland has embraced skateboarding. I don't even know how many parks are located in Portland. Burnside is also a tourist attraction, so many euro's visiting the park to get a photo with the sign. If the park goes the building will burn!!!

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
the building on the OTHER side of the park was just sold too, and is going to be developed. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

drunkenshredder

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
the building on the OTHER side of the park was just sold too, and is going to be developed. 

Are you talking about the fruit place? or the one on the corner? Keep Portland Weird!

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
Seems more
Reap Portland's Weird

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
Another city falls victim to San Francisco syndrome.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »
Another city falls victim to San Francisco syndrome.

Only instead of segways we have the segways without handles.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you talking about the fruit place? or the one on the corner? Keep Portland Weird!
The Towne Storage building sold a few months ago.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:29 AM »
The local weekly rag just put up a pretty good little video feature of whats going on.

Damn, that was a good video