Author Topic: Drug tests are coming to contests  (Read 20904 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Drug tests are coming to contests
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
I don't criticize people for taking corporate sponsors and getting money and all that, because hey get what you're worth, but quitting drugs is a bridge too far. That's what will finally make me think skateboarding has sold it's soul.

spool of cord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Even weed? Im pretty sure all the best street skaters were massive stoners at at least one point in their live
[close]

Probably. They tested for it for ski and snowboard slope style when those got introduced and a lot of those guys smoke. Some famous skier wasn't allowed in because of it.

Tracer with the Ross Rebagliati reference!

Snowboarder who won gold medal the first year they had snowboarding in Olympics...was drug tested afterwards and it came back positive for THC. He was disqualified and lost his medal, but that was eventually overturned because THC wasn't on their list of banned substances (somehow, in 1998). Luckily for all those athletes who are sober, it's since been added to said list by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

jomeara1

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Even weed? Im pretty sure all the best street skaters were massive stoners at at least one point in their live
[close]

Probably. They tested for it for ski and snowboard slope style when those got introduced and a lot of those guys smoke. Some famous skier wasn't allowed in because of it.
[close]

Tracer with the Ross Rebagliati reference!

Snowboarder who won gold medal the first year they had snowboarding in Olympics...was drug tested afterwards and it came back positive for THC. He was disqualified and lost his medal, but that was eventually overturned because THC wasn't on their list of banned substances (somehow, in 1998). Luckily for all those athletes who are sober, it's since been added to said list by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

I never understood the big deal about THC in sports.  Its not like its a performance enhancer like steroids or something.  And even if you test positive that doesn't prove that you're currently high at the moment.  Could've been from a week or more prior to that.  And even if you were high at the moment, what's the worst that can happen?  Get the munchies?  LOL

too much

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
I suggest people to read the link...a lot has to do with the involvement of https://www.wada-ama.org

Totally agenda driven...has nothing to do with our culture/sport/hobby/lifestyle/art....It's not about joining the Olympics and becoming a sport that we're so fearful of...that is what they want us to think...it's for other corporations, non-profits, and various bullshit government to profit from us...We are not going to reach enlightenment or whatever the fuck by joining the Olympics...we've already accomplished that...And all the celebrities that vouch for skating NOW, understand that, and will know skateboarding in the Olympics is just a joke to help views/ratings and sell apparel, and and opportunity to add in rules and politics. It probably will happen because of Nike. Whatever...free ride for some...

mds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »
 Get the munchies?  LOL

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
is weed a performance enhancing drug?

only if the prize is a giant candy bar

jomeara1

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »
Get the munchies?  LOL

Lol so THIS is the guy responsible for getting marijuana banned in sports....way to ruin it for everyone.

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 05:21:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Right lol.��  Well I guess we can't count on anyone from Baker, Flip, Deathwish, or DGK entering contests anymore (with the exception of reynolds i guess).

I can also somehow predict Prod making some kind of motivation speech on how skateboarding keeps him focus and away from drugs..blah blah that kind of crap.
[close]
lol P-Rod rolls fat blunts
[close]

Lol does he?�  Idk he was the first person that came to my mind when it comes to motivation speeches like that.�  I'll throw Nyjah in there too but I bet he's a pretty big stoner considering the amount of partying he does at his house.
[close]
Yeah I've seen him in person smoking a bleez. idk about nyjah tho, I have a feeling he doesn't, but he probably does.
[close]
Im assuming Nyjah likes amphetimines, from the rumors and parties, but doesn't smoke weed cuz it 'makes him tired'.
I wanna hangout with blazed P-Rod.

Maybe Pros that smoke will take the month before the contest off so they can pass the test and just train, creating a new breed of contest skaters ridding the image of clean cut Nyjah and Chaz.

You do realize that Nyjah was raised Rasta and has been around weed his entire life, right? His mom even said that prior to Nyjah's skate career the weed sales were the family's primary income.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »
I think they should let jereme Rogers in street league then.

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »
There is a banned substance list that comes out every year. As many athletes in the world of competitive sport know, it's not hard to figure out how to get around the rules.

The drugs listed in the conference actually made me laugh as it seems to say the kids that skate may be ones to have concentration problems or hyperactive problems, or are at least are in some way medicated including self medicated, NOT for performance reasons.

Everything is about parts per million and how fast things can clear the blood stream or at least be under IOC levels.

The show STATE OF PLAY on HBO has an episode all about the exciting world of pharmacology in sport. They's all cheaters!!!!

Brett

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »
is weed a performance enhancing drug?

As a matter of fact it may be considered one. If it is found to increase the heart rate enough to increase oxygen flow which benefits athletes it could be considered one. That is how lame the rules can be.

sms_b

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
so long as they let the cocaine slide, everything will be fine. I do hope that nyjah gets disqualified for flagrant levels of amyl-nitrate in his system. Party hard! 

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
This thread would be cooler if it was called Drugs are coming to contests.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:00:04 PM by Rockin Robbin »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »

nothing's been the since same

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
or,since most of them live in cali or nyc they could just get their medical card and fill out this form

http://www.usada.org/substances/tue/
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
But because the broadcasting of the Olympics is a multi-billion dollar facet, it warrants some attention to the question: “How can you showcase skateboarding in a way that’s true to the core, but digestible for the television audience?”

You don't.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:22 AM »
I have a pretty good friend who is plugged into the pro ski/snowboard scene.  It's a big deal when Olympic time comes around.  Those dudes have sponsorship levels that dwarf skateboarding and their sponsors want them in the Olympics.  You just have to quit for a few months prior.  It's tough.  I don't know how this would work in skateboarding.   

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »
Skateboarding, Olympics, yuck

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 05:48:44 AM »
Skateboarding, Olympics, yuck

I agree.  One of the best things about skating is that there is no way to "Win" it.  It goes with the old SLAP analogy that people would rather watch Gino ollie than watch some Berrics kid 540 lazer flip.  The thing is that when you bring the sports/soda/energy drink companies and their money into skating, they actually expect something from their "athletes." I can see vert or even mega ramp in the Olympics because it is more easily judged than street/park.  It's going to be a strange road.     

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:43 AM »
I'd say vert, mega and downhill longboarding would make the most sense

four eyes

• Rep: -2
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
Skateboarding in the olympics would be a joke. For both, skateboarding and the olympics. But it would be fun too see what kind of commotion it would start when people would be wearing weed themed gear and getting tested positive for whatever.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
Skateboarding in the olympics would be a joke. For both, skateboarding and the olympics. But it would be fun too see what kind of commotion it would start when people would be wearing weed themed gear and getting tested positive for whatever.
This is the olympics bru the skaters would be wearing country themed gear, and probably have some form of head coach wearing it also.

dillanharp

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »
I wonder what kind of madness and training the government formed Chinese team is undergoing in preparation for this...

pinch a loaf

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
is Monster considered a drug? because its killed way more people than weed has.

but i imagine all the street league guys could easily quit smoking for the contest, except maybe torey.
I always guessed prod smoked because of certain interviews he looks hella baked.
And surprisingly i dont think nyjah smokes, he seems hyped enough on drinking and being that guy who owns a frat house.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
Train racing in the Olympics would be sick, as long as they used regular commuter trains.

Hawk hit the nail on the head when he said the Olympics needs skateboarding more than skateboarding needing the Olympics.

These things have become farcical these days. The next two world cups should be boycotted, for sure...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
I wonder what kind of madness and training the government formed Chinese team is undergoing in preparation for this...

I can just picture all the sweat shop workers being told to fuck up all the skate shoes being sold to other countries. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Brett

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
If there are uniforms I hope the Canadian team jerseys look like a pot leaf.

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
 ;D