Author Topic: instrument/gear thread  (Read 13762 times)

Mongoloid

Re: instrument/gear thread
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:12 PM »
Just picked up a TC Electronic T2 reverb pedal. It was a toss up between the T2 and the More conventional Hall of Fame pedal, but I chose the wilder option.

Very atmospheric/cosmic reverb that should pair well with my synths as well as guitar.

Should tide me over until I can justify paying what it costs to get my hands on the Styrmon Blue Sky, and El Capistan delay.

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
my martin dx1A and danelectro heaven hawk. love both these things dearly  ;D

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
I have a fender jaguar special HH (white / tortoiseshell) and a jazzmaster

Pedals:
Big Muff nano which is nice and small as opposed to the regular big muff. It sounds exactly the same but doesn't take up so much room.
Digitech Lexicon Reverb that models the old lexicon racks. Pretty decent and has a lot of different variations effects.
Boss DD7 delay. Love this thing. the 40 second loop feature is nice too when I just want to play over chord progressions in my bedroom
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone phaser
TC MojoMojo overdrive pedal. This thing rules actually for those subtle overdrive tones. I usually keep this on really low and it sounds great.
Boss TR2 Tremelo. A must.
Then of course the boss Chromatic tuner. This thing is much better in my opinion than that TC electronics one.

I have a fender Ultimate Chorus amp, which is a competitor to the Jazz Chorus from Roland. Not as good in my opinion. Need to get a new amp.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
Fender Jag-Stang (almost 20yrs old)
-basic dan-o-electro distortion pedals.
-I usually just run it through my roland mixing board if i want more effects. 
-For speakers im using $300 M-Audio Monitors

I usually just play delta style/ detroit style blues so it gets hard to justify buy more stuff to setup

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
I have a yamaha rbx 250 and an ampeg 112h cab. bass is a low end p bass copy from the nineties i need to get tuned. I'm just learning theory and technique on my own right now, but some I also play in this band my high school friends are doing. still scoping out an amp, 100-250w but my fender rumble is doing alright in my bedroom for now. any recs?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »

currently running these guys. Play bass in a band. guitar is just a hobby of mine.
Also i really love offset bodies.
Damn I was just looking at that same squier jaguar on the fender website same color and everything! How do ya like it? Been thinking of grabbing one sometime since I'm not trying to spend too much money by picking up a fender rn

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
So I have been involved in a multitude of bands and have had gear and sold it for expenses and just sick of wasting money on being a musician, So I will run it down on the gear I have had and if I could get them back there'd be a few bass guitars and amps I am bummed about selling. Fender precision jazz bass red and white, switched out the neck to fretless and changed the pickups, had a Peavey bass amp combo also Orange head plus small 10" bass cabinet that was my last rig. One thing I will say about why and whose to blame of selling my shit is myself. the idiots I was hanging around with didn't take shows serious and I figured why not? music gear comes and goes to me all the time.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
I have some decent cheap gear that I quite enjoy.

sonic blue Squier VM Mustang with a Seymour Duncan QP in the bridge
worn cherry Epiphone G-400 

1976 solid state Peavey Deuce 212... so fucking loud

Fulltone OCD
Small Clone Chorus

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »

Bumping this because I've recently got a bunch of new cool stuff. I think last year all I owned was a $100 Epiphone LP Special and a tiny Blackstar battery powered amp. Things are a lot different now.

Guitars
Yamaha Acoustic/Electric: I think it's a AC1M, but I'm not 100% sure. My dad bought this for himself around the middle of last year and gave it to me for christmas. It sounds awesome and is really easy to play. I don't really plug it in, but I guess it's nice to have the option if I ever want to. The onboard tuner is really nice though.

Yamaha Revstar RS320: I was looking to upgrade from my Epiphone last year and after I played that Yamaha acoustic I decided to check out what they had for electric guitars. Got this on sale for $300 and I love it. It's the cheapest model in this particular line, but it's just super stripped down and basic compared to the higher priced models, which is fine by me. It's super light, got a great feeling neck, and the stock pickups are awesome. I personally like the way this guitar feels and plays more than some of the American Fenders my dad has which cost a hell of a lot more. The only thing I'll probably ever change on it is swapping out the knobs for some black tele style ones.

Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe: My buddy sold this to me for $100. Not much to really write about, everyone knows this amp. It's an older one, but everything works and sounds great. The only downside is how loud it is. I even swapped out one of the preamp tubes to one with a lower output and the thing still wants to blow the roof off the house if you crank it past 2. Great for playing with a band, but not the most practical for practicing.

Yamaha THR5: I just bought this to solve the loudness problem I had with the Fender. Only played on it for a few minutes and I can't believe how nice this thing sounds for how small and cheep ($200) it is. It's got 5 amp models, one Fender, one Vox, two Marshalls, and a Mesa Boogie. It's also got four effects (chorus, flanger, phaser and trem), tap tempo digital delay and spring and hall reverb, all of which sound awesome. On board tuner, aux in, headphone jack and USB out so it can be used as a recording interface. It's fucking awesome.

Pedals
Fender tuner: It tunes.
TC Electronic Cinders: I use this as my always on overdrive. It's pretty light gain, but gets pretty hairy if you crank it. I mostly play rhythm stuff and this gets nice and crunchy, but doesn't get muddy with open chords. It's an awesome, kinda garagey dirty sound. Got it for $40 new and for that price I don't think it can be beat.

EHX Big Muff w/tone wicker: It's basically a classic Big Muff, but with a few extra features. The tone bypass switch sounds like it cuts out the highs and boosts the volume a bit. It just makes the whole thing sound bigger and meaner. The tone wicker adds in more highs, but I don't really use that. When I play this I want a big dark tone. I probably sound the worst when I use this, but it's fun for heavy stoner riffs.

TC Echobrain Analog Delay: I wanted a super simple delay and this was onsale for $40. It sounds good and does all that classic self oscillating analog delay space ship sounding shit which is fun. I might go for something with more features down the road, but for my skill level, this thing is fine.

Donner looper: Dirt simple looper. One switch and one level knob. All I really need for practicing.

Drums:
This was my brothers set he had when he passed away. It's just a simple ddrum kit, I don't really think there's anything special about it. We used to have a really nice Ludwig kit when we were younger and lived with my parents, but I don't know what happened to that. This doesn't sound as good, but I'm happy I have it. He had a bunch of crasy china cymbals and some other weird ones with holes in them, but I like a simple set up. It's got a double bass pedal hooked up, but I don't mess with that either. I kinda just keep it on there because it was his thing. I really don't play it much unless friends come over because I'm still a better drummer than a guitar player, but guitar is more fun to play by myself.

The skateboard was something I found in my brothers room when I went to clean it out after he passed. I don't know where it came from, but I think it's pretty cool.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »
Condolences about your brother. Looks like you've got a nice set up all around. The singer of one of my favorite bands has one of those mini Yamaha amps and uses them for solo sets, and I too was surprised on how nice it was.

I'm mostly a guitarist, but a few months ago I treated myself to a nicer bass and have been extremely hyped on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA8uKqFFLq/

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
Half of my stuff is in LA and half here in Miami. If been fortunate to own all my dream Basses since I used to buy vintage/rare basses, fix them up and see them for twice as much after playing it for a month.

I'll start with the medium scale jazz bass I put together:

http://youtu.be/S75WBB-pPe8

My friend who's an artist and luthier has a commercial 3D laser printer so we engraved this Gretsch that I had just bought:

This is my favorite guitar (I'm a bass player). It's a rare Eastwood tribute to the even more rare and expensive Gibson SG Tenor guitar from the early 60's.

Rare Hagstrom bass:

This is the older version of the Danelectro hodad. It was 3 lipstick pickups, a stacked vol/tone knob and a 6 way rotating switch to get all the combinations. The blow switch activates the 3 pickups.

Telecaster style flame maple Ukulele:

And flutes from traveling around the world buying random instruments:

I have some more stuff like instruments and portable amps I made.

And random shit I need to get rid off. Sorry for the huge photos.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »
^ That's some cool shit. The Gretsch bass is real nice and I like that tele uke thing. Is the SG an offset? It might just be the way the photo is, but it looks a little weird.

I just got this new Squier Duo Sonic. Got some money for my birthday and the local shop had it for pretty cheap so I jumped on it. It's my second electric guitar, and I wanted something totally different than my other one, and this is different in almost every way. I'm still getting used to the short scale length, but I really like it so far. Open chords feel a little crammed, but barre chords are a lot more comfortable and the strings can bend like crazy on single note stuff. The pickups are pretty low output, but it barks if you give it some fuzz. It's kinda fun because I can run my dirt pedals a lot harder than I can with my Yamaha.

Also got a bunch of new pedals since the last time I posted. I'm thinking about building a board soon just to clean everything up and make it easier to move.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 02:06:02 PM »
Money’s been tight for a few months so music kinda got low on list of priorities.

After gettin my taxes though, fixed my saxophone then took in my two busted Squire Strats to get fixed. Had guitars for years n cleaning them never happened, just replaced the strings n kept playing. When he gave them back they looked completely brand new n sound better than I could ever remember.

Anyways, after lookin around the pawn shop was torn between buying a banjo or trombone. Ended up goin with the trombone thinking I could eventually play like that one guy in the middle of the Bobby n  Hijalte video. Stoked on my purchase n hope the banjos still there in a couple weeks.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »
Expand Quote

currently running these guys. Play bass in a band. guitar is just a hobby of mine.
Also i really love offset bodies.
[close]

Right on! Do you ever frequent offsetguitars forums? That place is a great resource/community! Lots of fellows with great taste in music.

Funny I actually just got a new pearloid guard for my PJ mustang. Had to change from the mint. Only play short scale. After havig a Japanese mustang and an old American 78 musicmaster, I now have this Mexican one. This one plays the best oddly enough, but best sounding was definitely when I put a red lace sensor pickup in the musicmaster. Still can’t be beat.

Also just didn’t want to start a new thread so posted here. I know some of you guys have some cool stuff, let’s see it. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:22:23 PM by os89 »

Garnet

• Rep: -87
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2020, 03:32:40 AM »
Nice bass
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:24:57 AM by Garnet »

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
this thread is old and op focused no reason to keep it going

It doesn’t matter op focused, thread is still about the same thing. Gear. No point to make a new one for the same exact reason.

Edit: Also your 120+ posts in 3 days shows you’re a troll or just an insane person.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:25:06 AM by os89 »

Garnet

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »
why not both

Garnet

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2020, 07:13:40 AM »
fine i'll participate in the thread one sec

this is my Yamaha CS-15 it's an analog synth from the late 70's. I bought it for my Dad (he rented one back in the 80's) but he never uses it so I've been playing around with it over the last couple days. It has a unique sound in my opinion and can be found at reasonable prices as far as vintage analog synths go. I paid $750 Canadian for this one a few years ago off a friend.

I did 2 recordings with it today and posted them on my soundcloud. The CS-15 is kinda interesting in that it has 2 cv/trigger inputs for each section of the synth. You can get 5 different parts out of it at the same time sorta if you use the feedback trick. Its a fun synth that has a lot of weaknesses I like it though.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35182782-90989724
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:23:05 AM by Garnet »

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2020, 07:30:19 AM »
why not both

I like the cut of your jib kid. Also very nice piece of gear^

Garnet

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »
Thanks but it's a pain in the ass, I like to sequence my synths which means playing it once and then getting a machine to play it. Most of the old synths use Volts per Octave for being controlled externally but the Yamahas and Korgs use Hertz to Volts which means you have to convert the voltage somehow. I use a Korg SQ-1 for this but it isn't optimal. The recordings I posted are attempts at getting a usable note range from my current method of conversion.

There's a good handful of modifications I would do to this thing if I owned it outright but it's technically my Dad's so if he wants to put the money or work into that he can do it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:54:31 AM by Garnet »

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2020, 10:33:50 AM »
I wish I had my gear still, had to pawn it all for car repairs, which later turned out to be a micro cracked head after I spent $3000. 

Here's my bass rig

In hindsight I only paid for the Bass and the rest I made deals for or traded a shit load of what I thought was useless crap. Oh well as they say it'll comeback eventually.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:36:02 AM by DarthDingusMaximus »
Dueces Bitch's

Bobby Lashley

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »

Guitar:
Squire telecaster with Seymour Duncan’s
Got from some old school guy on Craigslist

Pedal:
Line 6 M5 modular
I mostly use it for the echos and delays
And the tuner is great.

Amp: fender mustang gt200
It’s amazing and super futured out, I use an app the fender provides to tweak and set up all my effects. Has mass amounts of amp models and old school heads and cabinets to choose from.

I play a lot of post hardcore shoe gaze type stuff so I really don’t need much to make it happen.