Author Topic: Bones medium vs hard bushings  (Read 14481 times)

Dengles

Bones medium vs hard bushings
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
So I have a new pair of Thunder trucks I'm going to set up in a few weeks.  This is the first time I've ever skated not indys.   I've only ever skated Indys and used the stock bushing my whole life but after a year I've been less than impressed with the stage 11s so I want to try something new.  I like my trucks as loose as possible and I've heard that Thunder's stock bushings need to be replaced for me to achieve this.  I'm pretty sure Bones mediums would be best for loose trucks, but a quick google search kept insisting on hard bushing with loose trucks so I'm not sure what to get.  I'm leaning towards mediums but I'm wondering if I may be wrong.  Any input? 

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Bones medium vs hard bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
They're trash, get krux clouds by any means possible.. Haven't changed bushings in 3 years

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
I think no matter how you cut it the turning radius is quite different....

Dengles

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 02:56:30 AM »
Yeah I know Thunders are going to be way different than Indys  I just want to get them as loose as possible any way

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:24:26 AM »
Surely soft are the loosest?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Dengles

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 03:44:11 AM »
I mean that's my logic obviously but I keep seeing posts about loosely tightened trucks with hard bushings being amazing. 

Spider on drugs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »
I've had both, the mediums turn to soft and the hards turn to a medium, if you ride them lose they will feel like mediums for sure.
They will get softer after a breaking period, mediums or hards.
I recomend the hards if you wheigh something like 145 pounds ( i have no idea if this is correct, we use killograms here), if you're very leightweight, mediums, but overal and if you're looking for a more durale bushing, hard ones.

Dengles

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 05:28:17 AM »
I'm pretty light so I'll go with the mediums, I have a job now so I might as well pick up both. 

BMCsteve

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 05:43:51 AM »
If you like your trucks as loose as possible, you're going to hate thunder, especially if you're used to skating Indy's.  Get Ace or Krux

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »
^ ^ ^ not entirely true. I found myself going back and forth between Thunder and Indy the last year or so, and while I prefer Indy, the Thunders were just fine with the stock bushings (white ones).  I skate my trucks loose.  my take on the debate is the loose Indy turn is a bit slower and you can control how floppy you want the turn to be...with Thunders, it's a quicker turn, but if you really dig into it, they are gonna flop over.  don't know how else to describe it. 

the point:  you can skate thunders loose and they aren't so bad.
hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
^ ^ ^ not entirely true. I found myself going back and forth between Thunder and Indy the last year or so, and while I prefer Indy, the Thunders were just fine with the stock bushings (white ones).  I skate my trucks loose.  my take on the debate is the loose Indy turn is a bit slower and you can control how floppy you want the turn to be...with Thunders, it's a quicker turn, but if you really dig into it, they are gonna flop over.  don't know how else to describe it. 

the point:  you can skate thunders loose and they aren't so bad.

Art makes a good point and honestly I'm probably not the best person to give advice on loose trucks since I skate mine fairly tight.

I also ride both Thunder and Indy.  In my Indy's I have 90a bushings and my Thunders have 100a.  I have to use the hardest bushings thunder makes in order to not get wheel bite.  But again, I'm pretty sloppy so it likely has more to do with my footing than the trucks.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
Picking up both is a solid move. I got the medium bushings but swapped them for hards and they feel pretty nice. They're broken in now and my trucks feel pretty loose despite not really being able to tighten a whole lot more so maybe start with hard and then go to medium if you need them looser.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
I ride loose trucks and I can't ride thunders (or Theeves) loose enough to replicate the turnieness I get out of ACE or Indy. It's not about making them turn like them but getting them to turn. I want to ride them, always have but I just can't get them where I want them.

In order to get Thunders as loose I could, without the kingpin nut falling off and be able to skate bowls, I had to use Bones Softs, which were too soft, and Khiro softs (white ones, but again too soft at 73a, needed to get the 85a blues; either way I chewed up the bushings); bones medium bottoms and bones soft tops in thunders were ok. I could not get the stock bushings, no matter what the color to feel good and I was too impatient to let them break in.

Currently riding aftermarket Indy bushings, in indys they're great.

Also, as noted prior, Bones hard, once broken in feel like mediums (this takes a looooooong ass time in my experience) adn bones mediums, once broken in feel like softs. If you can get past the initial rock hardassness of bones hards, they will last you forever.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:41:49 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Yeah I know Thunders are going to be way different than Indys  I just want to get them as loose as possible any way

I did the exact same thing now that I remember.......thunders were a good medium of the road truck....I have them on my ramp set up... You can ride em loose without it feeling sketchy.....

Dengles

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
I think I'll be able to get Thunders close to as loose as I'm used to with the proper tweaking.  I'm going to pick both sets of bushings up just for the sake of trying both out for a week.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
I should also note that I'm around 165/170lbs

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
Have they changed their bushings at all? I got some medium ones along time ago and they were perfect and then loosened and hot softer as they got broke in but it was so gradual I got used to it and it's no big deal, I got some more mediums recently to put on a cruiser board and they feel way harder, both boards have Indys on them so the only difference in the two are the bushings, has anyone else noticed a difference or maybe I just got a weird set or something.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
^yeah woodsman!

had my one set of medium bones for about half a year and needed some new ones- when i put them in the same trucks i had before they felt rock hard, wich was really weird!

but i feel like i read something on here about bones changing the durometer in their bushings some time back????

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
from my experience Bones bushings don't really work in Thunder, 'cause of the geometry or some shit...end up splitting

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 11:04:16 AM »
from my experience Bones bushings don't really work in Thunder, 'cause of the geometry or some shit...end up splitting
Medium bones bushings always split in my Thunders, like the yellow ring just gets pushed up into the white of the bottom bushing until it cracks. And once when changing them the yellow and white had completely separated and my bushing was basically in pieces. Then some guy with Indys and Bones bushings was telling me that in Thunders the bearing seat of the baseplate is a little slanted where in Indys its more flat so Bones bushings  work better in them. Don't know if thats true or not but I guess it could explain it
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:16:12 PM by yatallfreak »

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 09:54:36 PM »
Which size thunders did you get? I had the 147's and the only way I could get them loose enough is to take off both washers, but then you have to ride really small wheels (<52) to avoid too much wheelbite. The (new) 149's get really loose once you take off the bottom washer. I went from Indy's with two top bushings and only the top washer (insanely loose) to the Thunder's without too much of an adjustment period. And from my experience Thunders with Bones bushings are terrible.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Dengles

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »
Which size thunders did you get? I had the 147's and the only way I could get them loose enough is to take off both washers, but then you have to ride really small wheels (<52) to avoid too much wheelbite. The (new) 149's get really loose once you take off the bottom washer. I went from Indy's with two top bushings and only the top washer (insanely loose) to the Thunder's without too much of an adjustment period. And from my experience Thunders with Bones bushings are terrible.
I got 151s

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »

I've posted this a bunch of times- i use the 147 hi's with bone mediums and never had a problem (except once and they were replaced) I know a bunch of other SLAP posters have also had no problems with Thunder hi's and bones mediums. Then again i only weigh 135lbs and ride my trucks more medium-loose...
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

N.L.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Bones med botom with the washer, stock thunder top bushing. I ride that combo on Thunder 151s with small risers and 56mm wheels. Its nice and loose, with very little wheelbite and I'm heavy.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
The (new) 149's get really loose once you take off the bottom washer.

i second that, i love how they turn. first thunders (or any other truck) in ages where i didnt swap out the stock bushings.

Spitfire4life

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got 151s
I'm pretty sure that the new 149s and the 151s have the same geometry, as they have the same height. Try taking off the bottom washers. If they have the same geometry as the 149ii, they should loosen up a lot.

N.L.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
Yeah 149IIS and 151s are the same geo.

Are you guys riding stock Thunder bushings without the bottom washer? Don't they get destroyed?

Dengles

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
I'll probably try without the bottom washer first for a few days.

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
i couldn't get my Thunders to turn like my stage 11s. I took off the Bones M bushings and gave the white 90a stock bushings a go. Holy shit... No wonder I've been hating on Thunders for so long... Bones bushings aren't made for Thunder Trucks. The turn is more smooth, faster and deeper with the stock ones compared to Bones medium.

That's the white stock bushings that come with the more expensive Thunder Trucks. I don't know about the orange transparent that come with the standard Thunder Trucks. Yeah... Don't use Bones Bushings on Thunder Trucks. The hanger is too low. They don't fit properly. Thunder 149II

Spitfire4life

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
Yeah 149IIS and 151s are the same geo.

Are you guys riding stock Thunder bushings without the bottom washer? Don't they get destroyed?
I ride all my trucks with either the bottom washer, or both washers removed, and have never ruined a set of bushings.