Author Topic: jamie thomas, mean side?  (Read 100293 times)

aguywhoskates

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: jamie thomas, mean side?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
he's definitely a total shitbag, mad people have already heard my "mittens" story about him.

ryan smith talked about JT forcing him to do that crooked grind at the end of his zero part, on his birthday no less.  they get there and JT tells him he's not letting him in the van to leave until he does it.  i think he did end up making it first try, not like you could really go at that thing for more than a few attempts in the first place.

either way, JT is an overrated, controlling, manipulative shithead and if his piece of shit skateboarding career and all of his gay, contrived companies ended and shut the fuck down at 3 pm today i'd probably go buy a pint a whiskey.  well, i'm gonna do that anyway, but at least then i'd have something to celebrate.

Where do the "mittens" come in this story? anyways, i think jamie is fucked if everything here is true.

scuzzo84

• Rep: -5
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2007, 08:51:19 AM »
i heard that hes such a dick, he took his whole team for chocolate sundays once and only got them the medium size. what an asshole

oh shit post of the past!

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »
I'll never believe the photoshop story until I actually see the picture.

I'm waiting...

LRGeek

• Rep: 0
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »
you think a team manager would try and get someone to try something if they didnt believe they could do it? ive had it before froma team manager telling me you better do something worthwhile or you are walking home and pointing out something id never try...and it works. its helps you progress, they not really gonna make you walk home its extra motivation and them zero boys are seriousley pushing some gnarly shit

loveslayton

• Rep: -2
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »
it was great when raymond molinar called him out for making people dress like that in some thrasher interview does anyone have that

smithgrind

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
i think i remember that dave carnie quote as being a joke, exaggerating jamie's controlling nature to an absurd degree. so until someone can post evidence of a photoshopped jelly bracelet, please just assume that it was a joke.

(now is the time for everyone to take their favorite zero skater photo and photoshop the shit out of it. cloning tool? what's a cloning tool?)

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »
you think a team manager would try and get someone to try something if they didnt believe they could do it? ive had it before froma team manager telling me you better do something worthwhile or you are walking home and pointing out something id never try...and it works. its helps you progress, they not really gonna make you walk home its extra motivation and them zero boys are seriousley pushing some gnarly shit

Lee?

LRGeek

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
nah my names not lee..maybe you mean blackwell?

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
^^ my bad, my bad

ridewrite

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »
lets see:

1. globe photoshopped shoes onto jake duncombes feet cause he was wearing slippers.

2. PJ Ladd skated way differently from Wonderful Horrible Life to Really Sorry? Bastien Salabanzi talked about how he never skated big rails until Rowley and Arto started making him do like taunting and stuff.

3. Julien Stranger may not have forced Andrew Allen or the other guys to change by buying them clothes and making them wear it, but he does send Andrew packages and I bet theres some flannel in there, fuckingvegan.

4. what about creation and stuff? nobody talks about how all those guys are all hippies or how baker dudes take all the kids out to parties and drinking when they're 12 YEARS OLD!

5. You have to market yourself. Why do you think that Robbie McKinley ain't pro, everybody knows hes got the skills (even Carroll and Howard) but no market man. If he started wearing flannels and half-cabs hed be pro.

Jamies just more outspoken and therefore easier to target. You think Chris Cole would even be pro if it weren't for Jamie? Circa and World Industries (thats right he rode for them and Enjoi) weren't taking him anywhere.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »
What's worse - coming up from nothing and creating and maintaining a successful company doing something you love? Or spreading rumors about those who do on the internet?

no proof = RUMOR

again... NO PROOF = RUMOR

How many skater-owned companies last for five minutes? I have the answer - tons of them. JT's companies are growing and growing. That does not happen by accident. I could see people hating if JT and Co. had no skills. But those guys are sick as fuck! And they can run a business. That's more than most of us can say for ourselves. So he pushes his riders. Big deal. Some of YOU could use some pushing. Then maybe you'd have something to show besides a bunch of message board talky-talk.

kids

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
eveyone has a mean side, jaime is just too controlling

otis b driftwood

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
What's worse - coming up from nothing and creating and maintaining a successful company doing something you love?

jamie thomas hates skateboarding.

or at least he hates skateboarders.

he loves himself and money.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »
Bullshit. You don't get that good at something by hating it. That's ridiculous.

If you don't dig their vibe, fine. There are plenty of other companies. But don't knock a guy for being successful. It reeks of highschool girl jealousy, not skateboarding.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2007, 02:50:25 PM »
eveyone has a mean side, jaime is just too controlling

Every boss is "too controlling". You learn that real quick when you become an adult. Unfortunately.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »

If you don't dig their vibe, fine. There are plenty of other companies. But don't knock a guy for being successful. It reeks of highschool girl jealousy, not skateboarding.

you will never learn 360 flips.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2007, 03:10:07 PM »
Tell me something I don't already know, motherfucker.

Claude

• Rep: 15
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »
Expand Quote
What's worse - coming up from nothing and creating and maintaining a successful company doing something you love?
[close]

jamie thomas hates skateboarding.

or at least he hates skateboarders.

he loves himself and money.

and jesus, and geddy lee.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
And photoshop!!!1!!wun!1!!

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »
What's worse - coming up from nothing and creating and maintaining a successful company doing something you love? Or spreading rumors about those who do on the internet?

no proof = RUMOR

How many skater-owned companies last for five minutes? I have the answer - tons of them. JT's companies are growing and growing. That does not happen by accident. I could see people hating if JT and Co. had no skills. But those guys are sick as fuck! And they can run a business. That's more than most of us can say for ourselves. So he pushes his riders. Big deal. Some of YOU could use some pushing. Then maybe you'd have something to show besides a bunch of message board talky-talk.

This man talks sense.  In the meantime, kids are more stoked on massive corporations like Nike SB or Vans Syndicate, but yet still continue to slate a successful skater owned and operated company and the skater in question, all due to internet whispers.  I'm not into the hair-metal flair, painted pants, the old Zero editing, overused fisheye angles or much to do with Zero at the moment, but you've got to give JT credit for building his company up to what it is now, from sleeping rough in his car in SF in the early 90s.  Not forgetting that he's 34 or 35 now and still skating hard when many contemporaries have slipped down and out of skating altogether.

As for the telling Ryan Smith to kgrind that rail - you can take any similar statement out of context and it sounds lame.  As LRGeek said, it's extra motivation to try something challenging like that.  We all give and get it in different amounts from the guys we skate with.   If there were any beef over that particular incident, then do you honestly think that Smith would still be involved with Zero/Mystery over 4 years later?

As somebody else said here before, "haters will continue to hate and will get nothing done themselves".

otis b driftwood

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »
Expand Quote

no proof = RUMOR

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

This man talks sense.  In the meantime, kids are more stoked on massive corporations like Nike SB or Vans Syndicate, but yet still continue to slate a successful skater owned and operated company and the skater in question, all due to internet whispers.  I'm not into the hair-metal flair, painted pants, the old Zero editing, overused fisheye angles or much to do with Zero at the moment, but you've got to give JT credit for building his company up to what it is now, from sleeping rough in his car in SF in the early 90s.  Not forgetting that he's 34 or 35 now and still skating hard when many contemporaries have slipped down and out of skating altogether.

As for the telling Ryan Smith to kgrind that rail - you can take any similar statement out of context and it sounds lame.  As LRGeek said, it's extra motivation to try something challenging like that.  We all give and get it in different amounts from the guys we skate with.   If there were any beef over that particular incident, then do you honestly think that Smith would still be involved with Zero/Mystery over 4 years later?

As somebody else said here before, "haters will continue to hate and will get nothing done themselves".

so you're saying i should respect him because he's good at business and marketing?
despite all the shit i've heard about him pretty much since he first came up, some rumours,some facts?

also your gay little quote makes no sense.
if gonz didn't hate vision there would have been no blind.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2007, 04:38:21 PM »
Nicely skirted around what I said.  When you go from sleeping rough to running your own multi-million dollar company, in a field you love in less than 10 years, fuck yes, you'll get my respect.

And from what I understand, there's a world of difference between Brad Dorfman and Jamie Thomas.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

no proof = RUMOR

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

This man talks sense.  In the meantime, kids are more stoked on massive corporations like Nike SB or Vans Syndicate, but yet still continue to slate a successful skater owned and operated company and the skater in question, all due to internet whispers.  I'm not into the hair-metal flair, painted pants, the old Zero editing, overused fisheye angles or much to do with Zero at the moment, but you've got to give JT credit for building his company up to what it is now, from sleeping rough in his car in SF in the early 90s.  Not forgetting that he's 34 or 35 now and still skating hard when many contemporaries have slipped down and out of skating altogether.

[close]

so you're saying i should respect him because he's good at business and marketing?
despite all the shit i've heard about him pretty much since he first came up, some rumours,some facts?

also your gay little quote makes no sense.
if gonz didn't hate vision there would have been no blind.

He sure didn't hate Rocco for being a good businessman/asshole/shitty skater!

It's quite ironic that you bring up Rocco, a guy who used to BRIBE his team to do stunts. This is referenced in several interviews (I'll find out the exact ones, if you need me to). It's no different.

What's the difference between Rocco paying off team riders with cash to do stunts and JT bribing them with iPods and product? There is no difference. It's just that kids today haven't seen this scenario play itself out several times yet. They probably think JT invented it. Hahaha! Right.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »

It's quite ironic that you bring up Rocco, a guy who used to BRIBE his team to do stunts. This is referenced in several interviews (I'll find out the exact ones, if you need me to). It's no different.

What's the difference between Rocco paying off team riders with cash to do stunts and JT bribing them with iPods and product? There is no difference. It's just that kids today haven't seen this scenario play itself out several times yet. They probably think JT invented it. Hahaha! Right.

are you regular?

there is no difference between rocco paying his professional riders to do tricks which is essentially what all companies with pros do and jamie thomas telling his pros what to wear, how they should have their hair and what music to like and basically turning them into mini-me's of himself?

and pointing out similarities between your idol and someone you describe as an asshole is not really going to do your argument any favours.

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
At the beginning of this thread, my opinion of Jamie was just kinda whatevs. Not my cup o' tea, but hey, whatever, he's doin' his own thing.

Now I understand that he actually controls the universe and without him the planets would slip from their orbits and all life as we now know it would forever cease to be.

My opinion has now changed. Anyone with that much Dark Powers has earned my respect!

All hail the Chief! All hail the Great One!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
you don't think these dudes that ride for zero and mystery have minds of their own? 

CLUBBER

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »
me and my friends were skating a spot and the zero crew rolled up jamie started trying to tell me and my friends how to skate the stairs we were like fuck you jesus then jamie got tommmy gunns to beat our asses
Dont Hate Masterbate

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:42 PM »
i bet he had hankies for everyone....

kelchmonster

• Rep: 26
  • WHAT FOOL!
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2007, 05:48:32 PM »
i love it

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you regular?

there is no difference between rocco paying his professional riders to do tricks which is essentially what all companies with pros do and jamie thomas telling his pros what to wear, how they should have their hair and what music to like and basically turning them into mini-me's of himself?

and pointing out similarities between your idol and someone you describe as an asshole is not really going to do your argument any favours.

Nope, for one thing when did he tell those dudes what to wear? Let's start with that. Hair and music? Where did you hear this? On the "internette"? Please. I've been skating for 12 years, but I've never owned a Zero deck or any other JT stuff. But I do respect him and what he does. I don't buy into rumors. There's a lot of them in skateboarding. Stick around and you hear some doozies.

I did point out similarities between JT, who some of you think is an asshole (and you hate) and someone who many other people think is an asshole (but you pointed out his company, Blind, as the smart option for The Gonz). They do the same thing - sell skateboards.

Rocco's antics are a part of skateboard history. The JT bandana stuff is internet rumors. I'm still waiting for someone to post that picture. Any time now...