Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 46944 times)

snaked plissken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
The Injury Thread
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
In honor of me breaking my nose last week while skating, I'd like to welcome people to share their favorite/worst injuries.

I wish i had video of mine because I landed on my face hard a-f.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
still have 12 screws and 2 plates in my leg from when I broke my tibia/fibula a little over 10 years ago, trying to fs 180 over a tiny spine. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
i sacked skating a rail after being drunk at the bar and my friend put it on instagram. it got more likes than any of my photos

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
In honor of me breaking my nose last week while skating, I'd like to welcome people to share their favorite/worst injuries.

I wish i had video of mine because I landed on my face hard a-f.

Generally, I consider it bad luck to talk about injuries but I broke my nose skating almost a month ago so I'll chime in and say that wasn't particularly fun.

When I told my mother what happened she gave her regular, "you should wear a helmet" spiel, to which I could say that had I been wearing a helmet the additional mass would have surely cost me my front teeth too and my nose would be permanently flattened.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »
I'm currently nursing some torn cartilage in my knee by sipping bourbon, stretching, look for a new job, and resting in an effort to avoid surgery.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Dengles

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
I've got two screws in my left foot from a massive fuck up trying to ollie those stairs at Dunbar high school.   I haven't tried to skate anything larger than a four stair since, I live by the Quartersnacks rule now. 

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:27:29 PM »
I took a nasty fall avoiding a drunk driver about 3 years ago and pinched a nerve in my back.  Muscle spasms, centralized numbness and constant pain, the whole deal. I'm all good now, but I can't skate quite how I used to.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
i currently have a nagging knee injury that has been bothering me for a few months, it's more in the back of my knee which is making me think i over-extended it.  even took a month off and it didn't get any better.

worst injury i ever had by far was cracked ribs.  that shit was awful.. the slam itself wasn't too bad, the six months afterwards were awful (a sneeze is like a knife in your side)

Tay

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
I dislocated a bunch of joints in my right foot when I was 20, and broke my index finger in grade school. Last year I fractured my foot. I'm really fortunate I haven't broken more bones. My elbows, knees and legs are covered in scars though.  :( And for some unbeknownst reason I bruise like an elderly person.

straight

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
Worst injury I've had is broken collar bone. Really fucked up feeling like you're neck is no longer on your shoulders

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
I slipped out doing a fs 5-0 nosegrab and sat on my leg which dislocated my ankle/broke my fibula at the old barn ramp in McKinnleyville in 2001. After spending most of the night in the ER, I got to fly home a week after 9/11, doped out of my mind, and in pieces. A week later I had surgery and was on crutches for two months. It was pretty bogus, but it was a pivotal point in my life and I know I'm in a better place since it happened. Most of my other injuries have just been nagging things that have been exacerbated by age.

Edit: I still have a plate and 10 screws in my leg.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:19:47 PM by pinche gringo »

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
When I was 12 I slammed on a vert ramp learning rock to fakies and almost broke my hip.
About a decade ago I tried a Frontside 180 over a tiny jump to jump, bailed out but didn't kick my board far enough away landed on it with one foot spun around and sat on the other foot. Tore my ACL and meniscus, which I had fixed up 18 months later.

Last summer I was pushing down the street with a fresh coffee in my hand doing little manuals. Got wheel bite put the front wheels down stepped off with the back foot to get balance ran over the back foot while trying to get balance and piled into the ground resulting in a broken rib and a wasted coffee. I asked the guy getting in his truck if he saw it and he was just laughing.

One of the worst ones was learning spine transfers in 87ish. Instead of bashing my tail like a lien to tail. I missed. I recall laying on my back on the tranny unable to move any body part or breath at all. Looking up at my friends and whispering help me cause I couldn't get the air in or out. Couldn't turn my head, lift my legs or wiggle my fingers. They just sat their looking at me.  I was winded but did something else that paralyzed me for a minute or two. Must have been one of the more scarier moments in my life.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:05:50 AM by Brett »

Wauly Palnuts

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
Cracked my head open once (pebble sent my back truck swerving) and got staples, walked my ass over to the nurse after a friend told me I was gushing out blood like a fountain. If I can find a picture I'll upload it, aftermath of course, all the kids were pretty shocked at the sight.
Edit: my "worst" injury is child's play, thankful I haven't broken or torn anything yet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:28:24 PM by Pauly Walnuts »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »
Worst injury I've had is broken collar bone. Really fucked up feeling like you're neck is no longer on your shoulders

That sounds insane.  In fifteen years of skating I've never broken any bones. I dislocated a ring toe once but popped it back into place.

Worst injury I had was the mild concussion/incapacitated upper body I received from falling down a twelve-foot vert ramp. The ramp was in an indoor park and it had a twelve-foot section and an eleven-foot section.  I dropped into the eleven-foot section and it felt amazing. So I tried dropping into the twelve-foot section and fell down onto the flatbottom head first. My vision went blurry for a few seconds and my ears were ringing. The bizarre thing was that there was someone cleaning the ramp on other side of the deck, I called out to them that I fell and they didn't turn around. So either I didn't talk loudly enough or they weren't paying attention.

I went to the front and told them what happened, still messed up.  I got it together pretty quickly and could remember the name of the park employee who helped me.  And I was memorizing lines for a play I was starring in on the subway ride home, haha. Maybe it wasn't even a concussion and I was just dazed for a second. But later when I eventually lay down to sleep (something I was concerned about due to comas) and woke up, I couldn't get out of bed due to my sore body and had to fight to crawl out. It was already sore but the pain set in over time. Never went to a hospital since I didn't have health insurance and it didn't seem urgent. This was about four years ago. I do want to try to skate vert again but that's when I realized that I can't risk concussions and I don't have to put my head on the line like that.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
I've had 10 blown out knees between the both of them in the past 5-7 years.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Too many to list, 39 and starting to have to pay the piper now

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 03:51:06 AM »
I slipped out doing a fs 5-0 nosegrab and sat on my leg which dislocated my ankle/broke my fibula at the old barn ramp in McKinnleyville in 2001. After spending most of the night in the ER, I got to fly home a week after 9/11, doped out of my mind, and in pieces. A week later I had surgery and was on crutches for two months. It was pretty bogus, but it was a pivotal point in my life and I know I'm in a better place since it happened. Most of my other injuries have just been nagging things that have been exacerbated by age.

Edit: I still have a plate and 10 screws in my leg.

I did pretty much the exact same thing 2 years ago (sitting on my leg, dislocated ankle, broken fibula). I was trying to avoid a collision at park with big tranny. Except I broke my wrist too, in the same fall. Having 2 casts at the same time was fucking horrible. Plus I was already 39 at the time. My confidence on board is just shot since then.

On a funnier note, last week I went to buy some groceries with my cruiser, I was watching the next intersection for cars....and hit a big rock. I was going pretty fast on a slight downhill and my backpack full of groceries kind of propulsed me in the air, I did a full-on superman jump, landing on my stomach. Right in front of a crowded cafe. I love skateboarding.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 04:18:48 AM »
About six years ago I fucked up skating a storm water drain ,fell to flat from the top.
 Tore both my left kidney and my spleen in half.was in hospital for a month or so, they ended up saving my spleen but my kidney had to be removed.
Had to move in with my mum,couldn't look after myself for about six months.
Never could bring myself to skate dangerous stuff again,I'm strictly a mini ramp ,manual pad guy these days.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 04:33:00 AM »
broke my big papa toe while heelflipping in a nosemanual. quite embarrassing to be honest  ;D.
i also broke my kneecap and my elbow while trying to fs smith a handrail.
there are countless smaller things, like almost cracking my front teeth out while trying a really long fs 5050 on an endless round street flatrail, but what's good, there are no post-injury problems from these injuries. i am thankful about that.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:57 AM »
broke my wrist a month and a half ago, got a titanium plate/7 screw+pins

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
been chilling hard the past 2 months with a fractured fibula

Shazamsung

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
Countless tweaked ankles, a fucked up back, fake teeth, and a metal wrist.

Yeeeeeeah. Skating.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »
Broke my left arm back in 2013 trying a trick into a bank. I slipped out and made the mistake of sticking my arm out as I was falling. I landed right on it, heard a teeny cracking sound, like the sound of a knuckle cracking, and knew something was wrong. Instant pain too right off the bat. Had to get some plates and screws put in there. It was my first time ever having surgery too and being put under anesthesia, the whole experience was pretty trippy. I was out of skating for about four months total. I would do lil shuvits and 180s here and there, but I couldn't try anything too crazy because I didn't want to risk falling on my arm as it was still healing and reinjure it while it was still all fragile, and having to start the healing process all over again.
After it healed I ended up going back and getting the trick I had fucked it up on. It was pretty intimidating, but it felt good to ride away. Still though, ever since that injury I still get a bit uneasy when I'm doing tricks into a bank. I used to not get too psyched out at all skating into banks, but now I tend to be a lot more nervous skating into them, but I just suck it up and go for it.

Other than my arm, I'm constantly rolling my left ankle. I've rolled it pretty badly quite a few times over the years. It's pretty much permaswollen. Even when it's feeling good and not hurting the swolleness is still there, hah.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:32:29 PM by Noble Experiment »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
I tried reading everyone else's, shit got too real.

I snapped my this tendon that's part of my fibularis longus (it runs parallel to your achilles), could barely walk for a week. Took two months to heal. A concussion once too. Those are my worst. Knock on wood.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
Broke my left arm back in 2013 trying a trick into a bank. I slipped out and made the mistake of sticking my arm out as I was falling. I landed right on it, heard a teeny cracking sound, like the sound of a knuckle cracking, and knew something was wrong. Instant pain too right off the bat. Had to get some plates and screws put in there. It was my first time ever having surgery too and being put under anesthesia, the whole experience was pretty trippy. I was out of skating for about four months total. I would do lil shuvits and 180s here and there, but I couldn't try anything too crazy because I didn't want to risk falling on my arm as it was still healing and reinjure it while it was still all fragile, and having to start the healing process all over again.
After it healed I ended up going back and getting the trick I had fucked it up on. It was pretty intimidating, but it felt good to ride away. Still though, ever since that injury I still get a bit uneasy when I'm doing tricks into a bank. I used to not get too psyched out at all skating into banks, but now I tend to be a lot more nervous skating into them, but I just suck it up and go for it.

Other than my arm, I'm constantly rolling my left ankle. I've rolled it pretty badly quite a few times over the years. It's pretty much permaswollen. Even when it's feeling good and not hurting the swolleness is still there, hah.

I've had a couple tricks injure me with a blown out knee, nollie 360 shoves and BAM! I'm on the ground with my knee pulled to my chest trying to not to yell and throw shit out of frustration. That's where my injuries have left me. I get hurt but I get pissed as shit.

I tried reading everyone else's, shit got too real.

I snapped my this tendon that's part of my fibularis longus (it runs parallel to your achilles), could barely walk for a week. Took two months to heal. A concussion once too. Those are my worst. Knock on wood.

Yah talking about injuries gives me phantom pains. I'm glad no one's posting pics cause that's the worst. Fuck MTV and that Scarred shit. That scarred me for life just watching the show and seeing some kid try to 5-0 a funbox to broken forearm. FUCK THAT.

Dodged a bullet a few years ago... I broke my wrist falling off a roof in senior year of high school. I fell on it again in 2013 and didn't get it checked out but when I did they told me I had an extremely rare fracture that if left untreated or if extremely agitated it could rearrange the bones of my wrist/hand and I wouldn't be able to use my right hand.

yapple dapple

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
My chin was hungry so it took a bite out of the sidewalk. I hit my head so hard I cracked a tooth as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:30:41 AM by yapple dapple »

fireslut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
Recently dislocated my knee and broke my foot. Been on the couch for a week. Heavy pills and lots of video games for the rest of the summer.

underknowledge

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:22 AM »

bon apetit 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:46:07 AM by underknowledge »

Brick

• Rep: -1
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 05:03:20 AM »
Not really too bad but I broke my nose about 6 years ago when I was 16, not really too notable compared to the guy with half of his leg meat exposed to the air but my friend did film it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aSUmi63PsM

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:04 AM »
8 years ago - blew out 4 ligaments in my right ankle trying to wallie over a plastic yellow barrier.  i was out for about 8 months till i stepped on a board again.  probably took a year till things felt fine.  luckily it's like nothing ever happened, and it never hindered me.

7 years ago - 4 months after reaching 100 percent, i broke a bone in the middle of the same bone so bad it needed surgery.  another 6 months till i was back on board.

knock on wood, that was all a long time ago, and I've managed to keep injury free since. 

i don't know if i can speak for anyone else, but i always feel like the folks that get hurt never came back didn't want it bad enough.  but i feel bad for people who really have fucked up ACLs/MCLs/knee shit, can't imagine what that must be like.