Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 46978 times)

pinche gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »
I did pretty much the exact same thing 2 years ago (sitting on my leg, dislocated ankle, broken fibula). I was trying to avoid a collision at park with big tranny. Except I broke my wrist too, in the same fall. Having 2 casts at the same time was fucking horrible. Plus I was already 39 at the time. My confidence on board is just shot since then.

On a funnier note, last week I went to buy some groceries with my cruiser, I was watching the next intersection for cars....and hit a big rock. I was going pretty fast on a slight downhill and my backpack full of groceries kind of propulsed me in the air, I did a full-on superman jump, landing on my stomach. Right in front of a crowded cafe. I love skateboarding.
I totally understand the loss of confidence. It took a long time for me to do fs grinds again.

i don't know if i can speak for anyone else, but i always feel like the folks that get hurt never came back didn't want it bad enough.  but i feel bad for people who really have fucked up ACLs/MCLs/knee shit, can't imagine what that must be like.
I understand where you're coming from, but I also understand how some people never want to get back into it after a serious injury. The risk just outweighs the reward at some point. I don't fault anyone for that. Skateboarding should be fun but sometimes people put too much focus on attaining goals, which increases how often you're hurt, and over time that burns you out.

fadedpastels

• Rep: 6
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
4 years ago i fractured my right humerus (arm bone connecting shoulder to elbow) setting up to drop into a bowl fell straight forward to flat without my board somehow i was out for a year still haven't really got all my arm strength back probably some nerve damage i would guess.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »
Underknowledge wins.

When I was a kid I got hit in the chest by a heave-hoed cooler full of ice on a boat. I just walked right in front of it I guess. Freak accident. It completely knocked the wind out of me, left me totally disoriented, and knocked me overboard. I struggled to keep myself above water, but I just couldn't. The boat was moving at the time, albeit slowly, but you can't turn a boat on a dime. I was in the water, struggling and sinking, for ~40 seconds and was positive no one was coming back and I was going to drown. I obviously didn't, but it was really intense...? I don't know if that's the right word. It's an eerie calm when you think you're going to die. It took quite some time to get my mind right. I still won't go in water if I can't stand in it. It's not really a fear, more like an involuntary rule I've imposed on myself.

I know it's not an injury like the others, but it sort of fits the theme and I am on 50mg of temazepam.

obvious

• Rep: -3
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I did pretty much the exact same thing 2 years ago (sitting on my leg, dislocated ankle, broken fibula). I was trying to avoid a collision at park with big tranny. Except I broke my wrist too, in the same fall. Having 2 casts at the same time was fucking horrible. Plus I was already 39 at the time. My confidence on board is just shot since then.

On a funnier note, last week I went to buy some groceries with my cruiser, I was watching the next intersection for cars....and hit a big rock. I was going pretty fast on a slight downhill and my backpack full of groceries kind of propulsed me in the air, I did a full-on superman jump, landing on my stomach. Right in front of a crowded cafe. I love skateboarding.
[close]
I totally understand the loss of confidence. It took a long time for me to do fs grinds again.

Expand Quote
i don't know if i can speak for anyone else, but i always feel like the folks that get hurt never came back didn't want it bad enough.  but i feel bad for people who really have fucked up ACLs/MCLs/knee shit, can't imagine what that must be like.
[close]
I understand where you're coming from, but I also understand how some people never want to get back into it after a serious injury. The risk just outweighs the reward at some point. I don't fault anyone for that. Skateboarding should be fun but sometimes people put too much focus on attaining goals, which increases how often you're hurt, and over time that burns you out.

these two posts pretty much sum up where my head is currently.  i broke my fibula 2 weeks ago, and all i can think about is whether getting back to skating.  life is hell on crutches (i might get one of those little scooters; the silver lining is that i would be working on my switch push?), and sitting at a desk all day at work when i should be elevating make me want to avoid any sorts of injuries where i won't be able to walk for prolonged periods of time.  on the other hand, at some point i have to live, right? and i think, considering how long i have been skating, i would probably be miserable without it in my life.  on one hand, i think it's perfectly rational to want to preserve oneself from invasive injuries, especially when skateboarding isn't the only thing in your life; but i think it's also rational not to want to live in complete fear of breaking something again, especially when a break could occur from just about any fluke occurrence.

so i guess the reason i'm breaking my lurker status (lord knows slap doesn't need another shitty poster) is to ask the people who have come back from a major skate-related injury exactly how that process worked out. you can criticize me for being soft all you want, but i'm sure plenty of people might just need that extra motivation to try to get back to where they were.

BobsBend

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Broken my ribs  :(

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
dislocated: both knees, both elbows (one also broken), both collarbones (one also broken), one operated shoulder, dislocated ankles, wrists, right index finger popping out every day
flattened right ankle after a heavy dislocation that took me out for 6 months and cost me my regular flick
3 hernia operations, stitches on my left shin
1 operation to remove a cyst from my balls that developed by doing the splits after a failed back tail and thus forcing liquid into my sack (not as bad as it sounds, just felt really weird to have my left ball operated and stitched up)
1 herniated (split) disc on my neck, 2 more with dislocated cartilage
2 herniated discs on my back but not too bad
constant hip issues
2 concussions, 4 times stitches on right eyebrow (it now looks like the shitty shaved eyebrow Chaz sports), broken nose

36 yo white male from Greece looking for an honest relationship with a very fit chiropractor/physiotherapist. peace and healing vibes to all fellow suffering slappers

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
Wow, do you have some kind of underlying condition that makes dislocation more likely? Hypermobility, or something?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 02:30:01 AM »
no dude, just been skating for a very long time and have no talent at doing tricks so it shows in slams and injuries. I don't wanna give up no matter the slam
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 03:06:52 AM »
Need to bump this after getting my first bad hipper. I hit a rock while doing faking manuals on flat while waiting for a friend. I always hurt myself on the dumbest shit.

I've had this lump on my upper thigh/lower hip for about two weeks. It bruised up a little, but in the last few days the bruise has become larger and spread a little further down my leg. The swelling was more shocking than the bruising. The pain is starting to decrease and I've skated on it a few times. Right now it feels alright except for when I'm sleeping on it or move it in a certain direction. I kept skating the day it happened until I checked it out and saw that I had an egg on my hip. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow to see if I need an mri or x-ray. Really hope it's not a fracture. By looking around online it looks like I have pain around the trochanteric bursitis area.

Anyone dealt with anything similar?

A hematoma?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:13 AM »
Underknowledge  hands down

I'm 34
2001- tore my right ankle ligaments doing a fs blunt on a flat bar and trying to stand it up like a ledge, stuck, crunch
2003- dragged my left ankle (caught my toes on the ground and overextended it down) warming up  doing a nollie fs lip on a flat bar as a kid (who is dead now, was murdered in 2007) asked me for rolling papers mid trick
2009- fell off  industrial racking while working (on my fucked up ankle) fell onto a coil of steel hitting my let hip and my head, insane concussion spent a weekend in the hospital and had short term memory loss and failed 2 course in college after always being able to pull b average without much effort
2004- tore my acl, and mcl kick flipping a shitty 8 stair that I had already landed but dragged my hand, board got caught up between my legs and i put my foot down and my knee exploded, the moment I did this, i was never the same on my board.
2009- summer.  nollie flip on flat ground during a game of skate, front foot landed on the tip of my nose, then slipped forward, and i ran my own foot over with my board. tore ligaments, out of 5-6 months
2010- fakei bs nose grind on a ledge with too much wax, slip out, get my toes stuck in a crack and re destroy my left ankle again. I rolled it pretty bad a few times between, but this was a good one.
2014 dislocate my hip, the absolute most uncomfortable thing I have ever done. I am just starting to feel ok now.

so, I am basically just not feeling old injuries because new ones are hurting more. I love skateboarding.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
I threw my back out humping your mom last night.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
Still out of commission from a slam in October. Probably the longest I've ever been off the board.

Back foot slipped off on a rock and roll, hyperextended it and sprained/tore MCL. Fell on arm in the process, full elbow dislocation. Having it set was 10/10 on pain scale.

Apparently, full recovery takes about a year. It's getting better although I think I'll need some kind of rigid brace for skating in the nearer future. I have an adjustable limiting brace but I'm sure it would get trashed in a fall.

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »

I'm 34
2001- tore my right ankle ligaments doing a fs blunt on a flat bar and trying to stand it up like a ledge, stuck, crunch
2003- dragged my left ankle (caught my toes on the ground and overextended it down) warming up  doing a nollie fs lip on a flat bar as a kid (who is dead now, was murdered in 2007) asked me for rolling papers mid trick
2009- fell off  industrial racking while working (on my fucked up ankle) fell onto a coil of steel hitting my let hip and my head, insane concussion spent a weekend in the hospital and had short term memory loss and failed 2 course in college after always being able to pull b average without much effort
2004- tore my acl, and mcl kick flipping a shitty 8 stair that I had already landed but dragged my hand, board got caught up between my legs and i put my foot down and my knee exploded, the moment I did this, i was never the same on my board.
2009- summer.  nollie flip on flat ground during a game of skate, front foot landed on the tip of my nose, then slipped forward, and i ran my own foot over with my board. tore ligaments, out of 5-6 months
2010- fakei bs nose grind on a ledge with too much wax, slip out, get my toes stuck in a crack and re destroy my left ankle again. I rolled it pretty bad a few times between, but this was a good one.
2014 dislocate my hip, the absolute most uncomfortable thing I have ever done. I am just starting to feel ok now.

so, I am basically just not feeling old injuries because new ones are hurting more. I love skateboarding.

I dislocated my hip when I was 17. By far the most painful and gross looking injury.

I tried to stand up and it just went totally sideways. Then the pain set in and holy fuck!

Then a dr and 2 nurses to pop it back in and that is unreal pain, like 15 outta 10 on the pain scale
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
Besides the garden variety rolled ankles and good slams here and there, I've been super lucky. All that's ever happened to me is a torn ACL plus some other minor damage to the knee. Definitely took the wind out of my sails, though. I never really regained the confidence I had, nor was I ever really able to get back the same kind of power and movement out of my back leg that I had before. The knee also gets sore really quickly, which makes warming up tough. Sort of sad but it's all good, I had a lot of good years of really hard skating when I was younger. I did go back and get the trick I blew the knee on a year later though, which was both terrifying and extremely gratifying.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
dislocated: both knees, both elbows (one also broken), both collarbones (one also broken), one operated shoulder, dislocated ankles, wrists, right index finger popping out every day
flattened right ankle after a heavy dislocation that took me out for 6 months and cost me my regular flick
3 hernia operations, stitches on my left shin
1 operation to remove a cyst from my balls that developed by doing the splits after a failed back tail and thus forcing liquid into my sack (not as bad as it sounds, just felt really weird to have my left ball operated and stitched up)
1 herniated (split) disc on my neck, 2 more with dislocated cartilage
2 herniated discs on my back but not too bad
constant hip issues
2 concussions, 4 times stitches on right eyebrow (it now looks like the shitty shaved eyebrow Chaz sports), broken nose

36 yo white male from Greece looking for an honest relationship with a very fit chiropractor/physiotherapist. peace and healing vibes to all fellow suffering slappers

damn. finally someone as injury prone as me ha!

Here's my list, almost all from skating :
- 4 knee surgeries (meniscus every time....just wear and tear, no real tweak)
- 2 broken wrists (with surgery and screws, one from snowboarding)
- dislocated shoulder (snowboarding, led to surgery)
- broken forearm and compound ankle fracture in one slam (surgery, plate yadda yadda). And that's the one that finally did me in, 3 years ago. I was already 39 and that one totally destroyed my confidence. I'm a working dude with 2 kids so basically now I just roll around, zero tricks almost. Ollie 180 is about the peak of my "session".

All in all, my body doesn't feel too bad considering but with my knees, there's a lot ot stuff I can't do anymore: jogging, playing soccer, all team and ball sports basically. At least I can still skate (somewhat) and snowboard, so I'm not complaining! Sometimes I wonder if maybe stopping skating sooner might have been a smart move though.....

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm 34

[close]

I dislocated my hip when I was 17. By far the most painful and gross looking injury.

I tried to stand up and it just went totally sideways. Then the pain set in and holy fuck!

Then a dr and 2 nurses to pop it back in and that is unreal pain, like 15 outta 10 on the pain scale
the hip pain was regular, I jammed it skating, then it slipped out doing a lunge at the gym, but basically I constantly felt it all the time for almost 3 years. It was/is constantly uncomfortable, and really hard on long drives or sitting for long periods of time.  my toes on my left foot were numb for 2 years, i am just starting to get back to normal, or maybe I just can't remember what normal is and this is the new normal.

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm 34

[close]

[close]
the hip pain was regular, I jammed it skating, then it slipped out doing a lunge at the gym, but basically I constantly felt it all the time for almost 3 years. It was/is constantly uncomfortable, and really hard on long drives or sitting for long periods of time.  my toes on my left foot were numb for 2 years, i am just starting to get back to normal, or maybe I just can't remember what normal is and this is the new normal.

I kida got lucky with that one. Not much damage/downtime.mine happened kickflipping into a steep bank. My back foot slipped off and i kida hit the ground with my right leg going back up the bank, if that makes sense

Kinda sucks you had after effects linger like that. Ive got nerve damage in my thight from another injury. I either dont feel anything or it feels like its on fire
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm 34

[close]

[close]
[close]

I kida got lucky with that one. Not much damage/downtime.mine happened kickflipping into a steep bank. My back foot slipped off and i kida hit the ground with my right leg going back up the bank, if that makes sense

Kinda sucks you had after effects linger like that. Ive got nerve damage in my thight from another injury. I either dont feel anything or it feels like its on fire
I was 31 when I fucked up my hip, so when you are  older, you don't come back fast...patience is tough.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
Side of my left upper thigh got banged up when I fell into a ledge, it's really sore but I can still move around and even finished my session, should I foam roll it or just ice it?

stendhalian

• Rep: 1
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
2017-Currently recovering from fractured hip suffered this year

1989-Chad Voght collided with me when i was coming off an air during vert practice at the NSA Pacific Northwest Amateur qualifiers in Corvalis, Oregon. It was a heavy snake session, I wasn't even signed up for the vert contest but was waiting for sponsors to show up to enter me in mini-ramp and street. Anyway, I was tired of getting snaked and decided to just drop in and go straight into a stalefish air. Chad dropped in from other deck at same time and did one of his signature coping scraping backside air, carved out long and came up right underneath me. Our shins collided and both my tib and fib snapped. Chad suffered a pretty bad shinner and I think went on to win the mini-ramp contest. I stayed a week longer in Corvalis and got my first box in the hospital!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:02:50 PM by stendhalian »

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »
Has anyone here dealt with long term post concussion syndrome?

BuckyFellini

• Rep: 5
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
That femur break on page 1 is fucking gnarly.

I did this in late September. Tibial plateau break. No weight on it for 12 weeks and then another 4-6 transitioning from crutches. 5th time breaking bones and by far the shittiest.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
In 2015 I tore ligaments in my ankle doing a switch heel,
In April this year I was a little drunk skating a curb, and slipped out on a fs krook and split my eye brow open, 8 stitches and a nice black eye, chipped multiple teeth as well

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
many times, but cos of boxing not skating!
one lasted almost 4 months and it sucked big time,headaches,insomnia and all that shit...it`s just mild brain traumatic injury,it will pass for sure! 
good luck with your recovery,been there and I know how you feel man
Skating fucked my wrists tho,other joints are holding fine but I started wearing wrist guards...fuck it,I`m  42 and I can`t afford having cast on my arms cos of my job and kids.

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
many times, but cos of boxing not skating!
one lasted almost 4 months and it sucked big time,headaches,insomnia and all that shit...it`s just mild brain traumatic injury,it will pass for sure! 
good luck with your recovery,been there and I know how you feel man
Skating fucked my wrists tho,other joints are holding fine but I started wearing wrist guards...fuck it,I`m  42 and I can`t afford having cast on my arms cos of my job and kids.
Thanks man, it’s been a little over four months but the symptoms have been close to nonexistent over the past few weeks. I’m just apprehensive about skating again cause I don’t want to overexert myself and stretch the recovery out longer.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Been lucky to only get a few sprained ankles here and there however, I once ate it pretty bad speeding down a sidewalk. I was cruising pretty fast with a group of friends past a construction site. A pebble caught one of my wheels. I flew an easy 8 feet and landed on the the side of my stomach. I was winded for what seemed like an eternity and cracked my ribs. Didn't need any procedure or anything like that but laughing, coughing, or getting up from bed with cracked ribs is extremely painful. 

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
Broke my ankle doing a wallie in February (the day before my birthday to boot), didn't walk for four months, and had a plate and eight screws (one eventually taken out). Didn't skate again until GSD and that was just pushing around and some no comply tricks. I couldn't even ollie until around the end of August. Now it's at about 95% and is still somewhat stiff but 100% functional. Sprains pretty easily but the muscles still aren't where they were before the accident.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWNpbLMhhl1/

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
month ago I broke my radius in half. Back truck went to a hangup and I just slammed my right arm on the ground. First time breaking a bone in my life and now I got those sweet screws and a metalplate on my arm
Just shred some serious gnar.

louie the taurus

• Rep: -119
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
once missed a kickflip in front of some hot chicks. hurt my ego forever

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
Hate this thread already. Didn't get past the 1st page.