Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 46949 times)

offkilter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
As far as being the most immediately shitty, breaking ribs has been the worst because you're gonna get the wind knocked out of you and when you do get those breathes through it feels awful.

Not really an injury but I recently got jaw surgery due to a crossbite which was going to lead to a life of pain / tmj in my joints. It's a brutal surgery, they completely removed my top jaw from my head during it. That was about 3 months ago and I'm not supposed to skate for another 3 because its fragile in there.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
As far as being the most immediately shitty, breaking ribs has been the worst because you're gonna get the wind knocked out of you and when you do get those breathes through it feels awful.

Not really an injury but I recently got jaw surgery due to a crossbite which was going to lead to a life of pain / tmj in my joints. It's a brutal surgery, they completely removed my top jaw from my head during it. That was about 3 months ago and I'm not supposed to skate for another 3 because its fragile in there.

Isn’t your top jaw just your head?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
broken both my legs, tore my meniscus , all because i love jumpies. already sore everyday and im only 21 :)

Switchnollie

• Rep: -2
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
I’ve had plenty of shitty ankle sprains and a broken wrist, couple broken fingers, but right now I’m dealing with an Achilles’ tendon rupture and it fuckin sucks. So far it’s been about three months or so, and my doctor is telling me it’ll be about another four months before I can properly run or jump.

To lift my spirits my physical therapist told me that I would’ve been better off snapping my leg in half and that he’s not sure my leg will heal back to 100%

MORAL OF THE STORY GO FASTER ALWAYS

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
I got a bad ankle fracture a year and a half ago, and despite surgery (there were no screws or anything put in my ankle) and physical therapy it is still not right.  I'm trying to remain positive.  I accept that I won't be able to be at 100% ever again but I feel like this long after the injury I'm not where I should be.  I started skating again 6 months ago and it is super frustrating how limited my skating is.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback/advice!  Thanks  ;D

micky682

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »
I had chronic pain due to an ankle sprain that tore ligaments. Even after surgery it still hurt sometimes, but after I stopped eating meat and dairy the pain went away. I’m skating better now than ever before.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »
Yeah, I went vegan in March!  Im hoping it helps in the long run  ;D

Charles Bronson

• Rep: 1
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
Shittiest was dislocating my shoulder last year (for the third time in 4 years). The other two times were from moshing, and awkwardly moving a box of merch for my friends band. The third time I was just skating a few blocks to the store, got hung up on a slappy, and my shoulder gave out when I fell. All the dislocations had made the ligament like slack rope, there was just nothing holding my arm into place. Had to do surgery, missed about a month and a half of work, couldn't skate for 6 months, it was fuckin' whack.

I definitely feel a lot better knowing I don't need to baby my arm anymore. But its also the injury that made me realize I'm starting to get older, and my body just can't take the same kind of abuse it used to.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
After being out 3 plus months. I have my surgery scheduled for late January. An Arthroscopic LCL And MCL Meniscectomy. As both are torn heavily and can't be repaired with stiched, only trim/shave and save what the doctor can.

Hopefully, I can start skating again late March or early April. As recovery is 4-6 weeks is all works and rehab is good. I will take it easy when I do skate again.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Fuck me! I feel for those of you who have knocked out teeth, hit your head and worse... Like organ damage! I have the usual type of list. Both acl's and meniscus, broken ankle, wrist, toes and fingers. Pinched nerve in my neck accompanied by shoulder to ass scars from a drunken hill bomb gone awry. A weird inconsistently reoccurring mid foot thing that really only hurts when I push a lot. And countless ankle and wrist sprains.
Can't wait until arthritis sets in, but I wouldn't change any of it.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2017, 12:45:54 AM »
Hate this thread already. Didn't get past the 1st page.
But somehow you still found the time to tell us that,thank you man!
Yesterday I ate shit in the middle of city centre,during rush hour...hurt my left butt cheek,but ego broke!

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »
hung up backside lein on 12ft. kept my head up and splatted flat. knocked the living fuck out me, breath was beyond gone. rode my bike home heated up some bean and cheese thinking everything was cool. went to bed,woke up. couldn't walk the next morning because i was so slouched over. went to a doctor. sliped my lumbar 4. always thought yoga was for nerds. now i have to stretch every night. one slam changed everything. luckily i work for rad mother fuckers that recognized i was hurt and werent bummed on me being slow while i recovered. risk it and be psyched that you can go full on. shit changes quick.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »
Sounds like this is a happy ending so I'll tell you that there is no such thing as a backside lien.....

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
Got x-rays done and my foots broken, gonna be out at least six weeks. Not trying to get fat so gotta figure out what I can do to stay in decent shape till I'm 100% again

Lifting weights burns heaps more calories than most people think

Do any of you guys have problems with your ankles cracking almost every step? More so on your ollie/pushing foot?

I'm only 21 and some days they really fucking hurt, and it takes forever to warm up. I've never broken it or rolled it. I wanna be able to skate for at least another 20 years or more so I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this. Skate hi tops? Better insoles?

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread but I had a question to anyone who has been non weight bearing for an extended period before. My foots just about healed and I'm gonna visit the podiatrist Friday, anyway my question is what's the transition going back to normal activities like? I've been off my foot since Christmas and just want to skate or even just walk on two feet again.

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »
Didn't want to start a new thread but I had a question to anyone who has been non weight bearing for an extended period before. My foots just about healed and I'm gonna visit the podiatrist Friday, anyway my question is what's the transition going back to normal activities like? I've been off my foot since Christmas and just want to skate or even just walk on two feet again.
Do physical therapy. That shit is essential. I broke my fibula last May, had a plate and 8 screws put in and was off my leg for 2 months. Everyday activities will come back easier but skating will take a while. It's super frustrating knowing what you are capable of and physically not being able to do it. It's all about baby steps. In the last two months I'm starting to feel almost 100%. Physical therapy is expensive and hurts like hell, but in the end if you want to get back on your board as soon as possible, it is a MUST. AND DO THE AT-HOME EXERCISES.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
Appreciate the response

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
Busted my ankle when I was younger, doc told me stuff to do an I thought it would be better to just stay off it and party. Wrong choice, it ended up taking a year and a half for my ankle to heal where I can do flip tricks semi well and jump off 4 - 6 stairs again.

Busted more than a handful of ankles/knees ever since and when I do I immediately get a shoelace to make a type of pulley system, throw it around my couch and do reps stretching the muscles every which way. At one point thought I would never skate again but slowly I got back to where I was.

Shoulder used to dislocate one to three times a week at its worst. Would knock it outta the socket while asleep, tossing a rock out of the way, or even mid air cuz my arm naturally moved in the air in the middle of back 50ing a hubba or whatever. Have old footage of it in the middle of front boardin a flat rail and nollie hardflipping a six stair gap.

Now when I fall hard I try to keep my arms down so I wont hyperextend my shoulder again, do alot of sliding across the ground on my side and shoulder but fuck it, at least I aint poppin anything back in afterwards.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:30 AM »
Busted my ankle when I was younger, doc told me stuff to do an I thought it would be better to just stay off it and party. Wrong choice, it ended up taking a year and a half for my ankle to heal where I can do flip tricks semi well and jump off 4 - 6 stairs again.

Busted more than a handful of ankles/knees ever since and when I do I immediately get a shoelace to make a type of pulley system, throw it around my couch and do reps stretching the muscles every which way. At one point thought I would never skate again but slowly I got back to where I was.

Shoulder used to dislocate one to three times a week at its worst. Would knock it outta the socket while asleep, tossing a rock out of the way, or even mid air cuz my arm naturally moved in the air in the middle of back 50ing a hubba or whatever. Have old footage of it in the middle of front boardin a flat rail and nollie hardflipping a six stair gap.

Now when I fall hard I try to keep my arms down so I wont hyperextend my shoulder again, do alot of sliding across the ground on my side and shoulder but fuck it, at least I aint poppin anything back in afterwards.

you might want to look at surgery for that shoulder. I had that same problem and now 2 screws hold my shit in place, it never popped out again. surgery was over 20 years ago and that shoulder never bothered me again.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
Tore my ACL and meniscus in high school on a back 180 over a bump over sidewalk that I already landed but wanted a better one, then tore it twice more over the years. 3 surgeries. I have it on film but can’t watch that shit.

I quit skateboarding like a bitch after the 3rd because I felt like the knee was doomed to re-tear.
Started skating again after 6 years off in 2015. Low impact, no drops really. Been so fun and the knee has been fine until literally last week when it started hurting like a bitch. ACL feels solid so I self diagnosed a moderate meniscus tear that required a couple weeks off because fuck any more surgery.

Happened to have an annual doctor checkup yesterday so I reluctantly told him my knee hurts.  He said ACL and meniscus seem fine, it’s probably premature arthritis.  Orthopedists have long predicted this would come for me eventually so not even surprised. I’m turning 30 in a couple weeks so I guess here we go.

Knee feels better after a week of no skating so hopefully I can get back to it after another week.

Various mild wrist breaks and sprains but that ain’t nothin.

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »
I tore my Meniscus yesterday.  I went to the orthopedist this morning and he didn't give me a time frame for skating just yet.  He thinks it's a mild tear, and told me to hold off on the MRI for a few days to see if it recovers over the weekend.  Any one here have a time frame for worst case scenario of getting back on the board after a meniscus tear, without surgery? 

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
I dont evet want to click on this thread because I feel like its bad juju

• Rep: -42
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
I thought I was a super cool bad ass so I bought a motorcycle. Took that bitch well over 100mph, no problem. Then I was riding at about 30mph in traffic, slipped, crashed, broke my heel and ankle in 4 places.  Haven't skated in 6 months and I have no idea when I'll be able to kickflip again.

Not saying anything against motorcycles, they are awesome. But if you get one just understand they are on a different level of danger than skating.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

micky682

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »
I thought I was a super cool bad ass so I bought a motorcycle. Took that bitch well over 100mph, no problem. Then I was riding at about 30mph in traffic, slipped, crashed, broke my heel and ankle in 4 places.  Haven't skated in 6 months and I have no idea when I'll be able to kickflip again.

Not saying anything against motorcycles, they are awesome. But if you get one just understand they are on a different level of danger than skating.
I think Jake Johnson hurt knee on a motorcycle. Around the time Alien went under. 

micky682

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »
Rolling hills cbd rub is the truth btw.

bawtawd9

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »
Well a ankle roll from more than a year ago ain't healed right soo... get that insurance and see that doc. I don't know what the fuck I did.

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:57 PM »
Anyone have any experience with sports hernia/core muscle injury? Been 11 months and I still get pretty bad stomach pain if I do any lateral/twisting motions
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »
Well a ankle roll from more than a year ago ain't healed right soo... get that insurance and see that doc. I don't know what the fuck I did.
Make sure u keep that hoe nice and elevated R.I.C.E Also a little cocobuttuh massage never hurt no 1

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think Jake Johnson hurt knee on a motorcycle. Around the time Alien went under.

Sure it wasn't this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvo24gPmWFY

micky682

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Sure it wasn't this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvo24gPmWFY
Cafe Creme blog has an interview where he mentions the motorcycle accident.