Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 46948 times)

redux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought I was a super cool bad ass so I bought a motorcycle. Took that bitch well over 100mph, no problem. Then I was riding at about 30mph in traffic, slipped, crashed, broke my heel and ankle in 4 places.  Haven't skated in 6 months and I have no idea when I'll be able to kickflip again.

Not saying anything against motorcycles, they are awesome. But if you get one just understand they are on a different level of danger than skating.
[close]
I think Jake Johnson hurt knee on a motorcycle. Around the time Alien went under.
[close]

Sure it wasn't this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvo24gPmWFY
[close]
Cafe Creme blog has an interview where he mentions the motorcycle accident.

The only thing I see in that interview about his knee or an injury is this. Not trying to be an ass, I'm just a big fan and usually stalk Jake as much as I can.

You have recovered from a knee injury a few months ago, do you have any physical or psychological effects?

I tore my pcl in the summer of 2010. It took me at least a year before I could film a useable clip, or shoot an ad. I filmed my part for the Transworld Cinematographer section under a lot of stress, and pushing myself against the injury. I’d say that an injury like that has more of a mental block than a physical one, and when you are kept away from a high level of skating for over a year you loose a lot of confidence. Even if you’re physically capable of doing those things again, you have to take baby steps in order to get your confidence back. At this point, I don’t feel much physical difference in my knees. There is a lingering pain in the left, but it isn’t noticeable while skating, and I can hyper extend it easier. I’d say I’ve gotten past any mental block as well and have been able to let my mind go during dangerous or uncontrollable tricks.

https://cafecremeblog.com/2014/01/11/jakejohnsoninterview/

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
how long does it take to recover from a hit in the nuts ? got slapped by my board 2 days ago and it's still painfull, no blood piss, but the lefty is still very uncomfortable, don't think i'll be able to skate this week :'(

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:45 AM »
how long does it take to recover from a hit in the nuts ? got slapped by my board 2 days ago and it's still painfull, no blood piss, but the lefty is still very uncomfortable, don't think i'll be able to skate this week :'(

One week is way too long, I believe. Most that I have been of skating due to sacking was around three days and that was after sacking so badly that I was seeing colors, puked and almost had fever. Even after an operation to remove a cyst from my ball sack, I was skating in about a week after I got the stitches removed. Would recommend icing (brutal) but am not sure about the consequences on the sperm quality. Maybe it will stop hurting if you write SLAP and post a pic here.

Hurt my knee this Saturday. Board went into the side of my left knee, somehow managed to squeeze itself under the kneecap/between all the bones that make the knee. Everything in that area feels totally fucked. Just as the weather is getting proper lush...
I also fell on the floor and cried like a baby, no regrets.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2018, 02:00:00 AM »
^too painfull and sensitive to write on, and i have a third mini nuts that grew there, slap is not ready for that shit^^
horrible knee story, man, let's pray the ice god !

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2018, 02:52:02 AM »
^too painfull and sensitive to write on, and i have a third mini nuts that grew there, slap is not ready for that shit^^

Thanks man! Oh, the 3rd mini nut is the reason I had an operation on my sack. It grew after I did the splits and some fluid got sucked in there. Next morning I woke up to a third ball that I removed a year later. It has been 15 years since the incident and that left nut is still sore sometimes.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2018, 02:58:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man! Oh, the 3rd mini nut is the reason I had an operation on my sack. It grew after I did the splits and some fluid got sucked in there. Next morning I woke up to a third ball that I removed a year later. It has been 15 years since the incident and that left nut is still sore sometimes.
well, I hope it's just a little contusion that 'll disapear by itself, I don't want to get my sack open :o
thanks for sharing your experience of it, dude

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
When I was eleven I'd skate down a bridge everyday on the way to my friends house, and I'd always scrape my tail to slowdown once off the bridge which sharpened it. One day my board popped up and the tail sliced my nose open, I had to get around eleven stitches. It happened right at the beginning of summer so that sucked ass.

I also tore my ACL later on.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
In 2009 I'm pretty sure I tore a ligament in my knee that never got properly dealt with. At the local, did a nollie back-180 on a 4' quarter pipe while warming up and landed with my back leg (regular, right leg) off the board. Instead of doing the splits, my back knee completely gave out. It was myself and one other person who was high on ecstasy and  of no help. Go the the hospital driving my car with the opposite foot, they do an x-ray and tell me to walk it off because nothing is broken. I was totally fucked for two months and it never healed properly.

I'm 29 now, uneven walk and loss of total control with my back foot. Way more control skating switch or doing nollie tricks than regular anything. After gaining weight from being lazy/ working in IT, going to start skating again but strictly re-learn on transition to mitigate impact.

It's so fucked how different skateboarding is on your body between 18 and 28.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
I've been skating for over 18 years and I've never suffered a serious injury or have broken any bones. A few weeks ago on Go Skate Day, I witnessed a homie hurt his knee and it left me a bit shook (nothing crazy, but he had prior injuries, so he re-agrivated it).

So I go out street skating the next day, by myself, and I go down. I was trying to sort of crook/nose-bonk the side of a concrete light pole base (similar to this one):

It leads into a mellow bank, but when I landed, I felt my ankle pop. It was as if my foot stomped from 20 feet high. I couldn't get up and I laid on the ground for close to an hour. I iced it when I got home, but could barely put any weight on it. I go to the hospital the next day, get x-rays, and the doctor tells me it isn't broken or fractured, just a moderate ankle sprain (which left me in crutches for a few days).

It had been 3 weeks this past Friday since my injury, so I decided to try to cruise a bit. I live in a hilly area and realized quickly that I couldn't really powerslide or have the same control over my board. I can push without pain, but i could not pop my board without it hurting me (regular or switch/nollie).

I'm happy that I'm getting better, but was so bummed that I couldn't do any of my usual crappy tricks. I've been doing my stretches and I've been beginning to exercise to go along with it. Am I worrying about it too much or does a sprain like this take this long to heal? Should I get it looked at again by a doctor? I'm worried that I may have torn a ligament or something.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread and sharing your stories.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:41:16 PM by smokecrack »

micky682

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2018, 05:57:52 AM »
You probably tore a ligament. Tearing a ligament in the ankle is worse than breaking it because while bone heals and sometimes gets stronger ligaments once they are stretched and torn do not come back as strong. Let it heal for sometime and maybe get an MRI. X rays only help see the bone, an MRI is best to get a good look at what is up with your ankle. Do a lot of strengthening exercises. Get it stronger than ever because it will now be more susceptible to sprains in the future.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »
decked it in a pool and torn the ligaments in my right ankle in Feb. almost fully recovered. what's weird is i can't do flip tricks anymore even though i'm regular. something about being scared to land with weight on my right ankle has me twisting around every time i do a flip trick and landing with my shoulders open. wth
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
Got fucked up skating a hill, broke my thumb, scraped up my face, scrapes and bruises all over my body, both knees swollen as fuck
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

stooeylewis

• Rep: 1
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
broke tib fib and malleolus on friday july 6th . had surgery friday the 13 . 3 days later still in pain in bed at home no work 8 weeks . havent shit in 5 days . going stir crazy . my surgery was like straight out of midevil times . drill into top of tibia and hammer titanium rod all the way through .

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »

Heal fast, homeslice.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
i have no real injury right now but i feel like skating and partying through all my 20s into my 30s has left my back and knees pretty wrecked. i already got referred to a physiotherapist for my back and shoulder problems but then had insurance trouble and couldn't go. my whole upper body makes cracking noises when i stretch out my arms or stretch my back. it's so loud that people around actually wonder what just popped when i have to do little stretches at work and stuff. i have had minor shoulder injurys before and my kneecaps are beaten and battered and have crazy dents in them. now it feels like it all added up to a point where skating is only possible on non work days and most of the time when i had a long week i need a day of recuperation before i can do anything on a skateboard.

i am right now in the midst of changing my diet and sleeping pattern in the hopes of getting up early, do some workout and have a good breakfast. aging sucks. i become more lazy by the minute it seems and easy stuff now seems like work. i did a nice casual kickflip first try two days ago that felt good tho.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
broke tib fib and malleolus on friday july 6th . had surgery friday the 13 . 3 days later still in pain in bed at home no work 8 weeks . havent shit in 5 days . going stir crazy . my surgery was like straight out of midevil times . drill into top of tibia and hammer titanium rod all the way through .

Welcome to SLAP. Try to acquire and play fallout new Vegas to get away from your situation. Worked for me, with slapping. Try to wean yourself off the painkillers when you can
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2018, 04:06:10 AM »
Been skateboarding for 30 years. I have never had a serious injury but my bad genetics gave me psoriatic arthritis which has affected my knees the most. Medicines (which works kinda so-so) and acupuncture have been the saving grace. Right now as im typing this, my right knee feels like a spike has been driven into my knee cap. I hope this will fade by Thursday......Need to skate

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »
I broke my 5th metatarsal 2 weeks ago in Switzerland, stupid treflip in a downhill.
This is exactly like on this picture :

I have 4 more weeks with that shitty cast, and I guess one more month after to be able to skate again...

I watched the Polar video two times, can't skate, that's horrible !

Do you guys have any experience with that ?
How long until I can skate again ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
November when someone freaked out because I was skateboarding. I got brain damage from three blows to the head with a baseball bat. I find my balance is off. It takes forever to land my go to tricks n it's not pretty when I do haha.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-christopher-lambe-assault-1.4641404

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Yeah, injuries and health problems suck.
I have a hernia and my homies keep tripping on me to get it taken care of.
I get shitty stomach aches after I skate larger gaps or stairsets.
They're probably right, but I don't want to pay out the ass for the surgery, and also healing with little activity for 4-6 weeks doesn't sound ideal.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
November when someone freaked out because I was skateboarding. I got brain damage from three blows to the head with a baseball bat. I find my balance is off. It takes forever to land my go to tricks n it's not pretty when I do haha.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-christopher-lambe-assault-1.4641404

wait so he cracked you with a bat, you retaliated and you get fuckin locked up? what

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

wait so he cracked you with a bat, you retaliated and you get fuckin locked up? what

Yeah, I was charged with attempted murder???? Down to aggravated assault n after seven n a half months I took time served for assault causing.  Those pesky skateboarders on the sidewalk. The joke in the joint was I was in for skateboarding at the wrong time.

Drunkslam

• Rep: 0
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
So far worst was missing front truck on a grind on a ledge. Wheels snagged, threw me back forward to concrete, tried to turn mid-air and took the whole impact on right elbow. End result, dislocated elbow and broke the elbow in multiple pieces. Was weird seeing elbow poke out from the middle my arm. One boneshard rotated just from the shear force of the impact, pressed on a nerve till got operated on the some day. Pieces and shards had to Be pieces together by metalwire, removal sucked since as a teenager bonegrowth is still pretty full on. Got a cast, muscle reduction sucked. Without physio manipulation and would have been shit for rest of Life. Got also allergic reaction to some anesthetic or pain relieve during operation.

Luckily I lived in a Nordic welfare state, cost basicly nothing. Works fine, operating scar, weird bonegrowth bump and bit of pain if i lift heavy stuff repeatedly but nothing major.

Rolled ankles multiple times, cost of not focusing on landing properly or skating tired and drunk.

micky682

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
Years of rolling my left ankle have left my left foot fucked. My toes don’t want to step, if my big toes is on the ground the others are up in the air and vice versa. Any tips for this? Basically my right foot is like a tripod but my left one is always only 2/3.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
Anyone have experience with a recurring hip labral tear. Partially tore my shit last winter did pt and strengthen it  back up and all that shit and started skating again after a few months. Felt fine for a while until like last week where out of nowhere it just started hurting again. I'm 20 and in college so I honestly have no idea what to do. I know the only way to fully fix a labral tear is surgery but I don't know how I'd be able to do that without dropping school. If anyone's got any advice or past experience please pm me.

Brguy

« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
About a year or two after I started I broke both bones in my forearm doing a regular 5-0 to tail in a bowl with no coping, I wasn't even sliding that thing, it slipped and I fell on my arm, both bones broke in half and went up on the middle, I don't know how it didn't cut the skin.

I think I tore a ligament or something in my thumb 2 weeks ago, I went to bs 50-50 down this ledge and fell with on foot on top and on the big toe in the ground, it feels like the last bone is hanging on a thread and I can kind of pull it apart a little bit. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse the next time I skate.

The favorites aren't even injuries, but more like funny slams. One of them I was doing a fs smith on a small round part of a bowl, it was like 5,5 feet and I just hung up and gave up, just fell straight to a hipper. It hurt like hell, but I got out laughing of how regular it was. There was also a time when I hung up doing a fs air and miraculously just rolled and stood up instantly. And the time when I got scared rolling in, hung up and almost broke my other arm. Falling while bombing a hill is usually funny too, except when you fall on your hip, that sucks.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »
About a year or two after I started I broke both bones in my forearm doing a regular 5-0 to tail in a bowl with no coping, I wasn't even sliding that thing, it slipped and I fell on my arm, both bones broke in half and went up on the middle, I don't know how it didn't cut the skin.

I think I tore a ligament or something in my thumb 2 weeks ago, I went to bs 50-50 down this ledge and fell with on foot on top and on the big toe in the ground, it feels like the last bone is hanging on a thread and I can kind of pull it apart a little bit. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse the next time I skate.

The favorites aren't even injuries, but more like funny slams. One of them I was doing a fs smith on a small round part of a bowl, it was like 5,5 feet and I just hung up and gave up, just fell straight to a hipper. It hurt like hell, but I got out laughing of how regular it was. There was also a time when I hung up doing a fs air and miraculously just rolled and stood up instantly. And the time when I got scared rolling in, hung up and almost broke my other arm. Falling while bombing a hill is usually funny too, except when you fall on your hip, that sucks.

focus ur account you fucking person.

Brguy

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2018, 04:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

focus ur account you fucking person.

Why?

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Broke my left ankle in 2016 trying to texas plant a 6 foot quarterpipe. landed on the board to far leaned back and basically sat on my foot and twisted it around, I got a 10 inch metal plate and 8 screws. feels pretty good these days though. This past summer I broke the scaphoid in my left wrist on a realllllly stupid wallride and its still kind of giving me problems. shit sucks

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »
Hurt my foot a couple weeks ago skating the park. Finally went and got an x ray cause it wasn't feeling better and I have a broken toe apparently. Haven't skated in 2 weeks and it's looking like at least another month before I can skate. And it's just starting to get nice out  :'(