Author Topic: Nyjah to Nike in three months  (Read 122058 times)

FROST YOUR TIPS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
Re: Nyjah to Nike in three months
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
this might sound corny as hell, but how much money are we talking about when big guys like Nyhja or P-rod sign into new companies? Millions?

Yes it would be in the millions for P-rod and Nyjah, no where close to that for most of the rest of their team though.

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
Expand Quote
this might sound corny as hell, but how much money are we talking about when big guys like Nyhja or P-rod sign into new companies? Millions?
[close]

Yes it would be in the millions for P-rod and Nyjah, no where close to that for most of the rest of their team though.

I read when he got on Nike, Paul signed a 4 year contract. But I dont remember if it was 1 million a year, or 1 million total (250000$/year).

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Mat

• Rep: -14
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I can't imagine why nike wouldn't offer nyjah a crazy contract. Think about it, nike owns street league and 90% of street league contests are won by this guy wearing dc's. They can't be hyped on that. They want those average top 3 guys up there wearing nike so all the kids there will think nike must be the best and go buy them. Whether nyjah will actually go, who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me since it seems that dude reallllyy loves money.
[close]

because nyjah does not fit their image. how can nobody not look at the nike team and see how out of place nyjah would be on it. nike actually recruits dudes it seems ONLY with character and style while also of course, secondly being in the top tier. nyjah is just top tier

Nyjah fits nike's image more than anyone. They want to make skateboarding a sport, thats why they bought the whole contest series that nyjah happens to kill. At the end of the day, nike does not care about core skateboarding, they care about making money, and so does nyjah. They do this by broadcasting a sterile contest with commontary that explains skateboarding to people who dont know so they can think they relate.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
It's not worth it without style, otherwise nobody would skate
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »
It's not worth it without style, otherwise nobody would skate

u keep doin what ur doin
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pinch a loaf

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I remember reading on espn a couple years ago that ishod was making $250,000/ year (not sure if Nike, or all sponsors,) before he was even in street league.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »

Nyjah fits nike's image more than anyone. They want to make skateboarding a sport, thats why they bought the whole contest series that nyjah happens to kill. At the end of the day, nike does not care about core skateboarding, they care about making money, and so does nyjah. They do this by broadcasting a sterile contest with commontary that explains skateboarding to people who dont know so they can think they relate.
[/quote]

Please name me one company that doesnt care about making money you ignorant clod. Im so sick of this argument. Nyjah sucks, Nike Sucks so why do you care?

Im lacing up my GT's and going skating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
Please name me one company that doesnt care about making money you ignorant clod. Im so sick of this argument.

This is also a pretty stupid argument ttyt (someone else on here mentioned it in a thread the other day ... I'll see if I can dig it up)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
What was Nyjah on before DC? I am drawing a blank

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »

es.. kinda crazy.. i really liked his part in this is my element then when he "came back" on element/dc i stopped caring for him
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »
Makes sense, but i was a big fan of Nike's team because a lot of the non-legends on the team have been on since they were Am's or even flow (GT, Shane, Cory, Ishod, Daryl Angel, Justin Brock). The only big name they've poached since Koston in recent years is Malto. Sort of wack Nyjah's gonna get on and immediately get a shoe, when guys like Ishod and Luan are killing it and don't have one.

Brett

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if skateboarders got paid lots of money regardless of who it is from? Shit if my boss decided to give me a raise of 50grand a year I wouldn't say no. But 50 grand a month? You guys are just dreaming you had that kinda coke and whore money!

You may not be about money, but if you are hustling and trying to make a living, food and a roof is first and foremost and I bet you guys don't live on rice cakes and beans.

The industry is still contracting, while these grassroots brands slowly creep in. Nike has more money than the entire skateboard industry combined. Don't pretend they won't or don't have an effect. This isn't year one of them getting in the game. Their gross profit last year was 12.5billion, their cash in the bank is 5.9billion. They can afford to buy the entire industry.

You should all remember the minimum for a rookie in the NFL is $350000 a year, $525000 in the NHL, MLB $500000. Not everyone gets jordan contracts or signs 100 million dollar deals out of high school. But the top skateboarders should get big bucks. Breaking yourself off for a 3 min part that will sell on iTunes where you may get a few grand is really just pointless. Just hit yourself with a hammer a few times and post it on youtube and you may make just as much.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:23:35 AM by Brett »

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 04:26:32 AM »
I've heard that none of his pro shoes on DC have sold to expectations so I'm not sure how big that Nike contract would be and I'm sure DC would be fine letting him go

I'm not surprised, they mad a lot of high tops in his first model and I'm a big fan of shoes with ankle support but his high tops look like the cheap shitty mall shoes DC makes, and his new model is so crazy expensive no ones going to buy it, I saw his new model in clearance the other day for $85, $85 is not clearance.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

eS'

I've heard about this move to Nike as well. Nike should focus more on dudes like Ishod in my opinion, I feel like if he had a shoe it would sell really well.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

eS'

I've heard about this move to Nike as well. Nike should focus more on dudes like Ishod in my opinion, I feel like if he had a shoe it would sell really well.

Ishod has a shoe for spring 16, it got posted in the "upcoming nikes" thread of shoes/gear.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

eS'

[close]

Ishod has a shoe for spring 16, it got posted in the "upcoming nikes" thread of shoes/gear.

That rules. I don't understand why shoe companies will give one pro 9 shoes before giving other pros one. 

Mat

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2015, 01:09:06 PM »

Please name me one company that doesnt care about making money you ignorant clod. Im so sick of this argument. Nyjah sucks, Nike Sucks so why do you care?

[/quote]

Jesus, you must be a hit at parties

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

eS'

[close]

[close]

That rules. I don't understand why shoe companies will give one pro 9 shoes before giving other pros one. 
Remember hearing part of P-rod's contract is a new shoe ever year, so that most likely limits the likelihood of others getting a shoe. 

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He's going to Nike. Bigger contract than Eric or Paul.

and way fucking bigger than Luan or Ishod.
[close]

I heard this rumour too from someone who works with Nyjah at Element. Paul was their main dude and I guess he's getting shoved aside to have Nyjah at the helm. Paul is pissed and rumour is he's going to leave when his contract is up. I can only image how ugly a Nyjah X Nike shoe will look like.
[close]

My prediction is that Paul quits Nike in a year and starts a Primitive shoe line, or calls it something else. Dude loves shoes. I'm sure he's already scheming right now. Paul is an entrepreneur at heart. He always has to be making some business move. Skating will be over soon for him as he's stated in interviews that he isn't going to film parts anymore. He basically just skates his park now anyways. He'll transition fully into business-boss-Paul. Weird having grown up being kind of the same age as Paul and thinking how that kid in Street Cinema who was the future of skateboarding is now on his way out due to old age. Time flies. Kind of off topic, but who wants to talk about Nigel Helston anyways.

He's one of the main skaters in Ty's new vid. Paul ain't retiring anytime soon.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jesus, you must be a hit at parties
[/quote]

Of course all companies care about making money, that's the nature of business in general. The point is actual skate companies care about other things to do with skating and not just making money from it while it's booming.

Kook Away.

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
Makes sense, but i was a big fan of Nike's team because a lot of the non-legends on the team have been on since they were Am's or even flow (GT, Shane, Cory, Ishod, Daryl Angel, Justin Brock). The only big name they've poached since Koston in recent years is Malto. Sort of wack Nyjah's gonna get on and immediately get a shoe, when guys like Ishod and Luan are killing it and don't have one.

Nike didn't poach Koston. He left Lakai due to some financial irregularities or some shit like that. It's been talked about many, many times.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nike didn't poach Koston. He left Lakai due to some financial irregularities or some shit like that. It's been talked about many, many times.
I know the story about Podium being sketchy, but Nike still clearly threw an insane amount of money at Koston to bring him into the fold, it isn't like he only had one offer. 

billyerlife

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It has been alluded to many, many times, but I don't recall seeing the whole story spelled out. It always seemed to me they just made it seem like Koston had no choice but to go to Nike, it was still fairly controversial to sign up back then, which is why Nike was going after the underpaid and hungry skaters.

Addressing the "every company wants to make money." I disagree, I think many companies want to make awesome products and be part of the skateboarding culture. They have to make money in order to do so, but the goal is not profits itself. The goal is to be a part of something. Those are the companies I try and support, the ones who are in business because they love skating so much they want to be a part of it. The companies that are in skateboarding strictly because they see an opportunity to make bucks, like Nike and like Street League, have nothing to do with me or that scene. The difference might be summed up as the difference between companies that want to stay in business, and companies that want to put other companies out of business. Nike is on the wrong side of that line.

billyerlife

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Oh, and fuck Nyjah Huston. Who in their right mind gives a shit?

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

eS'

[close]

ive been looking through that thread for a pic of those and cant find it. can you post a pic?

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I read when he got on Nike, Paul signed a 4 year contract. But I dont remember if it was 1 million a year, or 1 million total (250000$/year).

If I remember correctly it was a three year at 1 million a year. + bonuses (photo incentive, royalties ...)

Another interesting note, I was at my local shop yesterday and the DC rep was in showing some gear. Looks like the Nyjah pro shoes have been pulled and are not getting released...

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
The entire deal with Nyjah is so strange. Nobody else on Element fits with him, and you could almost bet if he left the company would be legitimized  within skateboarding. Westgate, Evan Smith, Nick Garcia, Mark Appleyard, Timtim, Levi Brown...the team is fucking stacked. I often forget Nyjah even skates for them.

Shoes... I picture him when I think of DC. He should stay, or go, or fuck it, who cares. He should've been a rollerblader.
p-shuvs and v-flips

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
The entire deal with Nyjah is so strange. Nobody else on Element fits with him, and you could almost bet if he left the company would be legitimized  within skateboarding. Westgate, Evan Smith, Nick Garcia, Mark Appleyard, Timtim, Levi Brown...the team is fucking stacked. I often forget Nyjah even skates for them.

Shoes... I picture him when I think of DC. He should stay, or go, or fuck it, who cares. He should've been a rollerblader.

I completely agree. I wanted to buy a westgate welcome board, the one with the cranberry bog, as a wall hanger but I couldn't bring myself to do it. it is all because I don't like nyjah even though he's obviously great at what he does. like others already said Nike will become even more polarizing if he signs on.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »

I feel like Nyjah is so ingrained into the contest circuit that it's an odd sight to see him on the streets or anywhere the rest of the Element team might go, I dunno if he goes to demos or not, doesn't seem like he would even skate them, maybe just sign hats and decks or something, sit around being above it all. 

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Does anyone here work at or own a skateshop?  Do Nyjah decks even sell?  I've never seen any on the streets or at the parks in the last few years since his Street League come up.