Author Topic: Yearly Reminder About Bones Bearings  (Read 6179 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Yearly Reminder About Bones Bearings
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »
They're about 8$ per bearing, but considering the use you get for imo the best Bearings created? Worth it. Haven't tried the white Swiss's, no reason to. The only other company I'm interested in Bronson speed, they work some gimmick anyone tried those?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:36:19 PM by Tracer »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Yearly Reminder About Bones Bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »
k
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »
Ninja puhleez?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:15:57 AM »
For all the shit Tracer gets, he is totally right.

Buy some Swiss, clean them and they will last forever.

The only cheap bearings I have been impressed with lately were those hard luck things.

Still, buy Swiss and enjoy...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Hannity

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 06:19:07 AM »
yeah fuck cleaning bearings i'll just get a pair of Reds every year

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 07:10:43 AM »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »
Spray some Windex on them and they're good to go. I hate popping them out of the wheels, but it saves so much money just to maintain them.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
I'd rather clean bearings than buy new ones every whenever.

Bones Swiss Six are the best bearing for me, riding a primo set (thanks BMC) and have 7 in reserve, doubt I'll need bearings for a while.

I, too, want to check out BSC bearings but it feels too marketinggimmicky with the 'balls out' tech, I mean who cares, you made it so have to have the bearings facing out...but why?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Where are these Bronson bearings made in?  Isn't that the deal....anything not made in China is good....

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
I'd rather clean bearings than buy new ones every whenever.

Bones Swiss Six
are the best bearing for me, riding a primo set (thanks BMC) and have 7 in reserve, doubt I'll need bearings for a while.

I, too, want to check out BSC bearings but it feels too marketinggimmicky with the 'balls out' tech, I mean who cares, you made it so have to have the bearings facing out...but why?
I can't emphasize how fast these bearings really are, getting a new set I almost bailed rolling in on a bank. The ceramics are twice the price but I don't see how they could be better. Bones patented the 6 ball movement, and they will still be good 10 years from now.

Anyone tried the ceramics, labyrinths, or white pack? Tried the reds and they are trash

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:09 PM »
yeah fuck cleaning bearings i'll just get a pair of Reds every year
If you was ballin you would have said ceramics instaead of Reds ::)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »
That used to be my program cause I hated getting my hands dirty.....new wheels new bearings,....

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
They're about 8$ per bearing, but considering the use you get for imo the best Bearings created? Worth it. Haven't tried the white Swiss's, no reason to. The only other company I'm interested in Bronson speed, they work some gimmick anyone tried those?

Wasn't there a thread about these when they came out where a bunch of people said they were good?

zippy z

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »
Powell Swiss. Pop the shields and forget about it. Maybe clean them with alcohol every six months.

Tracer

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
Expand Quote
They're about 8$ per bearing, but sidering the use you get for imo the best Bearings created? Worth it. Haven't tried the white Swiss's, no reason to. The only other company I'm interested in Bronson speed, they work some gimmick anyone tried those?
[close]

Wasn't there a thread about these when they came out where a bunch of people said they were good?
No there wasn't, the Bronson website is gahbage so there's not much. I like how they're orange but would like details on the movement

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 06:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They're about 8$ per bearing, but sidering the use you get for imo the best Bearings created? Worth it. Haven't tried the white Swiss's, no reason to. The only other company I'm interested in Bronson speed, they work some gimmick anyone tried those?
[close]

[close]
No there wasn't, the Bronson website is gahbage so there's not much. I like how they're orange but would like details on the movement

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=85966.0

Ask 144p how he likes them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »
This is from some longboard forum.....

http://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/14867

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 03:07:28 AM »
I've skated / skate the six ball, reg Swiss and the Labyrinth bearings. They all seem pretty similar to me. All great.

Tempted to try some Ron's but can't really be arsed to shell out for Ceramics. They may be faster but I don't need to go any faster really.

Anyone tried them?

Guessing the Bronson things will be a shitty version of Bones.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 05:56:47 AM »
A local skate shop owner swore by Bones bearings and wheels.  It's all he's used for years (Former Pro Skater for Zorlac back in the day).  He went to a trade show and came back sporting Bronson bearings and Spitfire formula 4's.  I asked him about the Bronson bearings, and he talked about them like Hosoi talks about Jesus!  He kept going on and on about how much he liked them.  All the guys were razzing him a bit because he's always been a bones or nothing guy.  He's stocked the shop with a stack of Bronson bearings next to all the Reds and Swiss.  I can't speak for how they hold up long term, but I definitely respect this guys opinion and he seems to be a changed man.  I don't know if they are better than bones, but they aren't worse.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
Just as a contionary tail I have been using swiss for years and a few months ago saw a pair of the reds ceramics on sale for cheaper and regular swiss so I took a chance and they were so much slower than what I was used to, so I learned my lessons, Bones swiss in the way to go.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »
which ones exactly? they have a lot of different products. I have some Reds right now but I want to upgrade.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 12:19:27 PM »
actually, reading up on this stuff, it sounds like there's a lot of unwarranted hype about expensive bearings.

look at this comment from middle age shred:

"Bearings are the ONLY precision component on a skateboard. It costs many millions of pounds to build factories to produce bearings.. They are ALL assembled in clean-rooms.... Because of this, there are only a relatively small number of bearing manufacturers in the World. For example SKF and NMB.... These are very big companies.

Do you really think that Bones Reds or Rockin Rons etc actually make their own bearings? Of course not. They go to SKF and buy small batches, re-package them and sell them on at a high markup. You can probably by 'seconds' from these manufacturers... these would be good in skate wheels."

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8758&start=60

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
While my six balls have worked great....and I think there is some truth that some bearings are better than others....will,it matter when every second kickflip I land is primo'd? 

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
A shitty non-core skate shop from my neck of the woods (if anyone remembers that 'anime to skateboards' shop that I posted about in 200fucking6... it's that one) once had Reds and Ceramics mixed up... therefore for a brief bit of time, Ceramics were $15... and of course I took advantage of that, and they're not much different from Swiss.

What were the blue bearings Bones used to make? Swiss 6? Something like that? Those were nice.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
http://www.vxb.com/SRCH.html?Store_Code=bearings&Search=skateboard

The difference between brands comes down to price and quality of the batches they buy.

Much like riding a PStix deck, all the same woodshop, just different components and pricepoints.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
A shitty non-core skate shop from my neck of the woods (if anyone remembers that 'anime to skateboards' shop that I posted about in 200fucking6... it's that one) once had Reds and Ceramics mixed up... therefore for a brief bit of time, Ceramics were $15... and of course I took advantage of that, and they're not much different from Swiss.

What were the blue bearings Bones used to make? Swiss 6? Something like that? Those were nice.

Meh....I heard they are just ok....

Tracer

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
actually, reading up on this stuff, it sounds like there's a lot of unwarranted hype about expensive bearings.

look at this comment from middle age shred:

"Bearings are the ONLY precision component on a skateboard. It costs many millions of pounds to build factories to produce bearings.. They are ALL assembled in clean-rooms.... Because of this, there are only a relatively small number of bearing manufacturers in the World. For example SKF and NMB.... These are very big companies.

Do you really think that Bones Reds or Rockin Rons etc actually make their own bearings? Of course not. They go to SKF and buy small batches, re-package them and sell them on at a high markup. You can probably by 'seconds' from these manufacturers... these would be good in skate wheels."

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8758&start=60
Bearings are NOT all the same. Cheap bearings have shields on both sides, break easily, and have 7 balls held together with a metal cage. Absolute garbage

Decks are all the same, enjoi/darkstar/world/almost are literally the same deck with different graphics. Noone else has even tried the 6 ball movement like bones, and they can charge 70$ because they fuckin rule

Decks are

BMCsteve

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
I skated Swiss 6 ball for years but would always have rust issues.  I skate early in the morning and sometimes close to the beach so there's a lot of moisture and salt in the air

I switched to Rush stainless steel ceramics.  Just as fast, never rust, come with wide flange spacers and lube (if you get the downhill bearings)

I paid $50 for the ceramic stainless.  4 months of skating and zero issues

http://www.rushbearings.com/

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
I skated Swiss 6 ball for years but would always have rust issues.  I skate early in the morning and sometimes close to the beach so there's a lot of moisture and salt in the air

I switched to Rush stainless steel ceramics.  Just as fast, never rust, come with wide flange spacers and lube (if you get the downhill bearings)

I paid $50 for the ceramic stainless.  4 months of skating and zero issues

http://www.rushbearings.com/

http://youtu.be/0zret7O8YoU

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »

Fucking a, that's a score. Still too poor to pull the trigger on the ceramics. Heard they kill.